The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 238
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    How about the Mark Bass Micromark?

Cheap, light, packs a punch. I was pretty impressed when I plugged my guitar into one. Loads of head room, super clean.

Loads of other super light Class D bass amps. You may need an EQ pedal though...
    no pedals for this venture.

If I wanted to go this route, I'd just use my 1x12 cab and my genz benz shuttle.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmiz
    The blues cubes is working well. It Cut well and has Some real power. This amp works for me at least. Check it out if u get the oportunity.

I have one on loan. Like it a lot. Here is a jam clip with it.
    that blues cube sounds great. Is it really that much better than the mustang 3? The mustang sounds good in the clips I heard though most of them were twangy .

User Info Menu

It does sounds greate. It sounds and behaves like a real amp. I does not have the vierd digital compression that most modeling or dsp Amps have. Ive played the mustang 3 for 3 minutes and turned it off. The Roland stayed on a couple of hours at My local music store the first time i played it. Its about taste ofcourse as everything else . In My view the Roland kills it . Its simple, no bs and well built. Happy hunting man !

It does sounds greate. It sounds and behaves like a real amp. I does not have the vierd digital compression that most modeling or dsp Amps have. Ive played the mustang 3 for 3 minutes and turned it off. The Roland stayed on a couple of hours at My local music store the first time i played it. Its about taste ofcourse as everything else . In My view the Roland kills it . Its simple, no bs and well built. Happy hunting man !
    do you have the 60 or 80? The 80 is 35lbs.

User Info Menu

Man, what a brilliant concept Roland has going with those Blues Cubes; you can buy 'tone capsules' with pre sets/modeling settings to plug in the amp and they're even shaped like a tube!

Roland - Eric Johnson Tone Capsule

User Info Menu

Its The 60 stage model. I played both and They sound the same. There is a 212 version on the Was aswell. /p

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    do you have the 60 or 80? The 80 is 35lbs.

not a brilliant concept. A gimick. My guess is that the only thing in there other than the shape and the lights is some firmware code that could easily and better delivered via USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Man, what a brilliant concept Roland has going with those Blues Cubes; you can buy 'tone capsules' with pre sets/modeling settings to plug in the amp and they're even shaped like a tube!

Roland - Eric Johnson Tone Capsule

Its The 60 stage model. I played both and They sound the same. There is a 212 version on the Was aswell. /p
    i wasn't thinking of the sound, I was thinking of the headroom. I have generally found 80w (SS) and 35w (tube) to be the minimum for playing loud gigs

User Info Menu

No issues what so ever with lack of headroom or power for me with the 60. /p

No issues what so ever with lack of headroom or power for me with the 60. /p
    i'm just telling you my experiences gigging with polytone, roland cube, jc-55 and other lower wattage amps. Unless you played with the same guys I played with it's hard to objectively say that your situation would work for me.

This is why I switched to Acoustic Image years ago. Never had a problem after that but even with the 80W polytone megabrain I was always stretched thin with a loud group. Plus I play fusion and other loud music where I really can't afford to have loud funk rhythm stuff be distorting...

User Info Menu

Yes i get what you are saying. But is it a small jazz amp that you need then? You pick most of your notes with flats right? It produce a LOT of mid energy that i guess Will need Moore headroom aswell. Anyways , se if you can try one . I think they are greate sounding well built Amps that has enough headroom for My playing . But thats me.

Yes i get what you are saying. But is it a small jazz amp that you need then? You pick most of your notes with flats right? It produce a LOT of mid energy that i guess Will need Moore headroom aswell. Anyways , se if you can try one . I think they are greate sounding well built Amps that has enough headroom for My playing . But thats me.
    no i have different string setups for different axes. Rounds on some, flats on others. I have .011 rounds on my solid bodies and a mix of flats and rounds on my other archtops. The heavier strings do require more headroom. I can get away with less headroom on the 11 rounds. I will definitely try one. The 60 will probably be fine for jam sessions.

User Info Menu

not a brilliant concept. A gimick. My guess is that the only thing in there other than the shape and the lights is some firmware code that could easily and better delivered via USB.
    But now they can charge $200 for their usb-stick! Absolutely a gimmick..... My 'brilliant concept' remark was meant to be sarcastic.....

Never the less, the amp itself seems interesting. If 80 watts is enough for gigging..... Depends on how the watts are measured (even RMS is not always measured the same way I believe) and how efficient the speaker is.

User Info Menu

Jack,

These solid state amps are 100-300w, 16-31 lb., and between $899-$1,899 (new). They of course are less used, but not all are available.

ACOUSTIC IMAGE - Corus, 300w, 21 lb. ($1,419)

AER - Compact XL, 200w, 22 lb. ($1,899)
    BENEDETTO - Carino-10, 120w, 25 lb. ($1,299)
    EVANS - RE300, 300w, 31 lb. ($1,398)
    HENRIKSEN - Jazzamp 110, 120w, 23 lb. ($899)
    JAZZKAT - TomKat, 220w, 16 lb. ($1,499)
    MAMBO - Mambo 10, 180w, 18 lb. ($1,100)
    QUILTER - MicroPro Mach2, 100w per channel, 21 lb. ($949)

These are as you said the "usual suspects". I know that you have tried many of these (or their earlier incarnations) and found them all to be sonically lacking in some way (EQ, Reverb et. al.). Alas, I don't expect that disappointment to change for you. But these are the small, light weight, well powered, descent sounding, reliable solid state amplifiers that top jazz professionals choose to gig/tour with. They will all have some sonic flaw, but all are capable of producing a descent jazz tone. In the end, you want a small lightweight amp that's reliable, simple to set up with adequate headroom for your playing situations. As I said in my prior posting, save your "perfect" rig for recording (your modeling rig?) and have powerful, reliable grab-n-go amp to play out with. Choose the one with the flaw that you can most live with.

My $.02

Bob

User Info Menu

You need at least 80 watts solid state to compete with a rock-style drummer. Bare minimum. Through a 12" or something that pushes some air.

Jack, you know what were cool amps? Fender did a solid state line in the 90's and had one called a Deluxe 90. I can't remember how heavy they were, but they sounded great, had a small footprint, and were quite loud...they made a regular one and one with shitty DSP.

Bet you could find one for less than a fancy dinner.

fantastic posting and I thank you very much Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Jack,

These solid state amps are 100-300w, 16-31 lb., and between $899-$1,899 (new). They of course are less used, but not all are available.

ACOUSTIC IMAGE - Corus, 300w, 21 lb. ($1,419)

AER - Compact XL, 200w, 22 lb. ($1,899)
    BENEDETTO - Carino-10, 120w, 25 lb. ($1,299)
    EVANS - RE300, 300w, 31 lb. ($1,398)
    HENRIKSEN - Jazzamp 110, 120w, 23 lb. ($899)
    JAZZKAT - TomKat, 220w, 16 lb. ($1,499)
    MAMBO - Mambo 10, 180w, 18 lb. ($1,100)
    QUILTER - MicroPro Mach2, 100w per channel, 21 lb. ($949)

These are as you said the "usual suspects". I know that you have tried many of these (or their earlier incarnations) and found them all to be sonically lacking in some way (EQ, Reverb et. al.). Alas, I don't expect that disappointment to change for you. But these are the small, light weight, well powered, descent sounding, reliable solid state amplifiers that top jazz professionals choose to gig/tour with. They will all have some sonic flaw, but all are capable of producing a descent jazz tone. In the end, you want a small lightweight amp that's reliable, simple to set up with adequate headroom for your playing situations. As I said in my prior posting, save your "perfect" rig for recording (your modeling rig?) and have powerful, reliable grab-n-go amp to play out with. Choose the one with the flaw that you can most live with.

My $.02

Bob

User Info Menu

On a related note, you'd think a $3k amplifier would list the specs on their site.
    An old seller's technique. That's to get you to call or send an email

Yeah, I knew it wasn't your style amp. This is a purists amp, in nearly every sense of the word. The sound sample doesn't sound like the amp I sampled in person. But then again, nor do I sound like the person creating the sample

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    An old seller's technique. That's to get you to call or send an email

Yeah, I knew it wasn't your style amp. This is a purists amp, in nearly every sense of the word. The sound sample doesn't sound like the amp I sampled in person. But then again, nor do I sound like the person creating the sample
    don't get me wrong. I loved the sound sample. I could just tell it was breaking up slightly even at the (presumably) low volume it was played/recorded at and that it wouldn't work for my style though I love it. On a related note, I can get that sound out of my kemper.

User Info Menu

What about something in the Roland Cube family. Specs for the 40GX say it weighs 20 lbs, and it's well within your price range.

John

User Info Menu

I use guitars of high value on gigs where I am fairly sure that I can protect the guitar from children and drunks. If I feel that the guitar may be vulnerable, I use a Strat or a Tele. If I have to worry about guitar safety, my playing suffers...

spent a little while listening to quilter's MP mach 2 amps. Didn't find an example of the clean tone. The clips on their site feature crunch and overdrive tones. I still contend the amp was designed for southern rock with a strat. I have not heard a convincing archtop sound out of one. Anyone have clips to prove me wrong?

User Info Menu

spent a little while listening to quilter's MP mach 2 amps. Didn't find an example of the clean tone. The clips on their site feature crunch and overdrive tones. I still contend the amp was designed for southern rock with a strat. I have not heard a convincing archtop sound out of one. Anyone have clips to prove me wrong?
    Here's a sample.

User Info Menu

For Quilter, Also keep in mind that the Eminence speakers need to break in a while. Mine had a mid range honk that took about 20 playing hours or so to go away. (My own experience anyway)

As as a side note, I got to hang around the Quilter room for quite a while at the Pedal Steel Guitar show in Dallas in March. They had a Les Paul and a strat on hand in addition to a pedal steel. It was nice to here different players as well as myself on different amps in an uncrowded room. The Quilter factory rep could not have been nicer and less pushy, and it was ovious that he had a true passion for amps. I was a Quilter fan when I walked into the room and a bigger one when I walked out.

As always, let your own ears be your guide. Good luck and happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Here's a sample.

yeah, i heard that. Very boxy sounding. I'm not crazy about teeny cabs with closed backs.

Regarding speaker break-in, it's a myth IMO. I've done recordings of my amps with a new speaker and then again with the exact same settings and mic position after 50+ hours. No difference. OTOH, it's been proven that your ears normalize tones. IMO, 99% of speaker break-in is your ears and brain normalizing the sound. And on my aviator, the speaker was well broken in.

User Info Menu

What's up, Jack? You should come over.

I happen to have a Mustang III, a Cube 80XL, a Quilter MP200 8" Combo and a Henriksen 12" Combo...

I've had most of the list above (thanks for summarizing) at one point or another, and the one that I tend to find most fault with is the Acoustic Image (thus it's not in my current collection).

If you want a blackface mid-scooped Fender-y tone, the Mustang III is pretty darn great. Download some of those Intheblues (check youtube) settings and you'll have a dial with 20+ passable tones covering all genres of rock, blues, etc... There's also this "Studio Preamp" setting that does a passable flat jazz sound.

You know what a Cube is, it's pretty obvious.

I have trouble dialing in the Quilter. The best tone I've had on on one is their suggested "Electric Clean", which is pretty close to a mid-scooped Fendery-thing. It can do a grittier, blues thing if that's your gig. I find all the "voicings" to be a bit odd (the Full Q vs Vintage vs etc etc...). Rich Severson (sp?) has a bunch of Quilter jazz videos -- they're pretty decent.

Henriksen ... well you know that one. To me, it's the best "flip the switch, set it flat and get jazz nirvana". There's a Soundpure Video that covers it's tone fairly well:

If the Henriksen didn't do it for you, I take it you're a Blackface guy. I'd order a Mustang on Amazon and try it. Ship it back if it doesn't work for you. How easy is that?

What do I use most? In my office, I have the Cube always plugged in. It has the easiest "line in" for my ipad with iRealB, is the easiest to turn on / off (power switch on top) and seems to get me practicing the most. When I play out, I grab the Henriksen 80% of the time and the Quilter 20% of the time. If I had to play a blues / rock / whatever gig, I'd grab the Mustang.

I could probably sell one or two of these, but I'm sure I'd get an itch at some point and re-buy them so...call me nuts.