The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 187

User Info Menu

Here's mine. Loar 600 with a Biltoft Vintage Vibe CC. Found some NOS italian celluloid on eBay that I'll use to replace the pickguard at some point (another project for another day). The control knobs are NOS daka ware.

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-loar_600cc-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-oner5ocbqttx42svcmas-jpg

Hot off Reverb dot com , a modified 1952 ES-5, for that inner Barney Kessel in you.

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_0612-478x640-jpg

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_0342-640x478-jpg
    Oh yes, love this thread.
    This is a Vintage Vibe CC Rider. I bought the Squier Tele to put it in after selling the guitar it was already in...

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-dsc00190-480x640-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Here's my Loar LH-600. I'm a dedicated convert to single coil Jazz guitar tone.
    John Moriarty (love that deliciously diabolically sounding name, call me MAW-Ree-ARHH-TEEE, Mwaaah, Haaaa, Haaaaa) did a wonderful job on that Loar LH-600, pubylakeg. It looks like the real ES-150. What a deal. He had a YT video out where he showed a template that he made and installed a CC pickup on a Loar with cutaway.

I wonder how it sounds through a Fender Princeton Reverb. Hmmm....

Edit: Found it,

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 05-25-2015 at 02:08 AM.

User Info Menu

For anyone interested, it's a 2001 Slaman Jazz Junior, from the days when Daniel was making a range of modern guitars.

He made it on spec., and sold it to me at an attractive price. It is a carved, 141/2" body, with some nice touches like bound scratch plate etc, ebony board. Originally he made it with a PRS-style 'sweet switch' rather than a tone control, which I needed and later installed. This left a small switch hole, and I tried several times to plug the hole 'invisibly' and re-lacquer, but eventually gave up and put in the black plug you seen in the pic, on the basis that poor concealment is worse than an obvious black plug... It has been gigged a lot, has been knocked about and scratched, and has had several pickups over the years. I have treated it as very much a working guitar, rather than a collection piece.

I have added a short -hinge 175 tailpiece at some point, to replace the rather plain ABM tailpiece.

Daniel has made one other, plainer, Jazz Junior guitar, but I'm not sure that he still offers the model.

The tone is on a par with the L5's I've owned, but obviously in a very compact package.

User Info Menu

i see pictures but i don't hear sounds.

that lollar cc under the humbucker cover looks awesome. how did that come about?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    i see pictures but i don't hear sounds.

that lollar cc under the humbucker cover looks awesome. how did that come about?
    Take off Lollar cover, take old HB cover, careful measurement + marking of blade slot, dremel tool+ cutting disk, needle file, rubber cement, soldering wire to ground the HB cover to the pickup...it did take an hour or two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Here's my Loar LH-600. I'm a dedicated convert to single coil Jazz guitar tone.
    Wow! Love the CC vibe on your Loar. I can't imagine how that pickup was installed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hanktx
    Here's mine. Loar 600 with a Biltoft Vintage Vibe CC. Found some NOS italian celluloid on eBay that I'll use to replace the pickguard at some point (another project for another day). The control knobs are NOS daka ware.

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-loar_600cc-jpg
    What a beauty! How'd you get that pickup in there?

User Info Menu

This one was nice:
    Attached Images Attached Images Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-epi-century-w-cc-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dallasblues
    What a beauty! How'd you get that pickup in there?
    Very carefully....

Seriously though, I didn't do the work but, followed the process.

Basically involved a custom template for the pickup route and aligning it between the braces. The pickup carriage will fit through the pickup route with a little finesse.

The remainder was standard archtop wiring and controls.

Very similar to the Moriarty video posted earlier. Biggest difference was in the bracing. The L-600 has parallel so it did not require any brace cutting or additional top support like the 650 in the video.

Not that there weren't challenges. The pickup is actually the floating CC that Vintage Vibe offers. Only my guitar has a shallow neck angle (apparently not all L-600s have this issue). The floating pickup would not work with string clearance.

Faced with punting on the project, buying another CC with the mounting bracket or adapting the floating CC, we adapted the floating CC with an aluminum carriage. Not vintage spec. But, sounds very cool. All worked out in the end.

User Info Menu

This ain't mine, but I wish it was....

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-4317859046_e708a88776_z-jpg

I do have future plans to do a partscaster (tele) thinline, w/o a pickguard (rear-loaded).... and will definitely have a CC up front, probably from Biltoft, because he can customize anything.

User Info Menu

I have also used a VV CC on a Loar 600.

User Info Menu

Not worth starting a new thread for, but I am very impressed with a Finnish HB CC pickup called CC bar.

I was and still am a fan of Lollar CCs, both HB size and full size, but this pickup seems to do it a bit better. It is a bit different in that the top bar is longer than the Lollar, so the top & bottom strings don't get too near the edge and thin out, and he uses unoriented A5 magnets, which give more power than the Lollar's A2 mags. It's a heavy pickup, but not heavy as the real thing..I really like it. It's a purist design, with the original 38 gauge wire. The fact that it's powerful is useful, 'cos it increase signal/ hum ratio. It also seems better balanced than the Lollar, due to a different internal design.

I know a lot of people here like the Biltoft CC pickups, so just as a point of reference, this one is deeper, heavier, and about twice as powerful as the Biltoft I've got. I say 'the one I've got', because I know his specs can vary a lot.

Have a look if you're thinking about a HB CC:

CCBar - handcrafted pickups & guitars

140€, 150$, £100. And, from Finland...

User Info Menu

Here's my jazz tele. Warmoth chambered walnut over ash body. Lollar CC in the neck and Fralin Blues Special in the bridge.
    Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-tele-jpg

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-image-jpg

Here's my 2013 ES-175 '59 RI VOS with Pete Biltoft's HCC-pickup (fallen 90 degrees left for some reason...).
    After some experiencing I came to a conclusion that humbucker is not necessarily best pickup for this guitar.
    HCC sounds just great with my 70's Mini Brute IV but sometimes I can't help thinking how would this guitar sound with a P90 pickup...

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about putting a Lollar CC in neck position of my Tele. Pardon the newbie question, but it would require routing to install wouldn't it?

User Info Menu

It usually does require some routing but I know Lollar has a template and instructions for his online, not sure about the others though.

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-tele-jpg

This is my 2013 American Standard Telecaster which has a Lollar Charlie Christian neck pickup and a Lollar Special T bridge pickup.
    Last edited by greasy0015; 11-16-2015 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen - my first post ever...

as i´ve never seen a pick-up like the one on my ES-175/CC (written on the trussrod cover)
    which has two narrow blades
    is this an original part(/guitar?), or even a chinese-master-copy?
    i tried to post a pic, but failed....sorry
    the guitar plays and sounds good enough for me, no reason to try another es175
    ....but the mystery still exists.....

be happy

User Info Menu

Today I got back in touch with Pete Biltoft for another project.
    I like so much what the routed HCC did to my Regent, I am really sold to single coil type pickup for jazz now.
    This time I want a HCC with the traditional hex shape and pickup ring for my Epi Joe Pass.
    Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-vvhcchex_with-ring-png
    I decided to rewire the whole thing as a single neck pickup only guitar as the bridge is pretty much useless to me.
    I plugged (in a reversible way) all the empty holes with some ebony taint wood plug hold in place with some foam to prevent buzzes and minimize weight.
    Here she is waiting for the HCC...
    I might use one of the empty bridge pot hole for a 3 positions rotary switch for cap value changing, not sure it is worth it but will see.
    More picture to come when the job will be done.
    Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-nacked-epijp-jpg
    Last edited by vinlander; 07-12-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: precision addon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    I want a HCC with the traditional hex shape and pickup ring for my Epi Joe Pass.
    I decided to rewire the whole thing as a single neck pickup only guitar as the bridge is pretty much useless to me.
    I plugged (in a reversible way) all the empty holes with some ebony taint wood plug hold in place with some foam to prevent buzzes and minimize weight.
    I might use one of the empty bridge pot hole for a 3 positions rotary switch for cap value changing, not sure it is worth it but will see.
    More picture to come when the job will be done.
    I like modding and I like what you're doing here matey!

Taliking about using empty pot holes how about this..

Top pickup selecter as a two throw? Position one direct to amp, no tone circuit. Position two, tone circuit engaged.
    Then the 4 pot holes as;

1. Volume
    2. Bass tone boost and cut
    3. Treble tone boost and cut
    4. killswitch (when not playing so as to cut single coil hum between songs)

I put a 5 way switch on my VV CCRider equiped jazz Tele and one of the positions has a tone cut which makes for a nice rhythm tone with a slight output drop.
    Attached Images Attached Images Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-gl-tone-wiring-diagram2-1024x785-jpg 

User Info Menu

Interesting suggestion jazzbow, I might give it a try or wait for my future project a customized HCC equipped Jazz tele.

User Info Menu

What a coincidence I recently did the same to my ES175 except I used blank rubber grommets.

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-lingottino-jpg

Ultra slim magnetic pickups

6.8 x 3.8 x 0.6 cm
    neodymium magnets
    B string attenuated
    Reel screen by the use of steel plates
    output balanced XLR plug
    low impedance <300 ohm
    no background noise
    cover in brass or silver gold color base (a different choice if desired)
    fixing the guitar via magnetic clip on gypsy guitar hole oval
    fixing with double sided tape on the guitars in buga big D