The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 187

User Info Menu

Just spotted this ES-350T being played by Vince with the Time Jumpers at the Stagecoach Festival (aired on AXS TV yesterday--watch for repeat). I couldn't find a YouTube of it but he plays a solo. Pretty clearly a modded "players" guitar, but cool none the less.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great pics, but...who cares about a humbucker in the bridge position ??? Nahhh, I'm just too much into jazz.

User Info Menu

Just to carry the torch on this thread...Here is a pic of my ES 150 from 1938. Everything original except pickguard and no, no refinish, never...

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-dsc07523-jpg

Cheers

User Info Menu

Does anyone have an opinion on the hum level inherent with single coil pickups and the CC style in particular? Does it ever pose an issue, especially for live situations?

User Info Menu

It certainly can pose an issue. sometimes flourescent lighting etc. will make it even worse.
    changing the position of the guitar in relation to the location of the amp can help a little, but it's a balancing act.
    I've heard there's some sort of hum cancelling box you can add between the guitar and amp connection, but haven't tried it.

User Info Menu

My contribution
    Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-fini-jpg

In 2008 I installed this CC pickup from Vintage vibe !
    Last edited by jcayer; 10-02-2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Link doesn't exist anymore

User Info Menu

My 1938 L50/ES-150. Perhaps the most rewarding guitar project I have ever done.
    Attached Images Attached Images Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-finished20with20pickguard-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    My 1938 L50/ES-150. Perhaps the most rewarding guitar project I have ever done.
    This looks very cool. Did you turn an L-50 into an ES-50?

User Info Menu

The number of cracks in the top of that guitar limited its collector value (L50s have a "D-" rating with a perfect top). The guitar was on Reverb for a year with 1,400 lookers and no takers at $850 until I bought it. So, before the pickup placement the guitar was neither desireable or valuable. As a player, it is more valuable to me to have the pickup. Otherwise, I detest cutting holes in guitars just as much as just about anyone else here.

In fact, that project gave me a real appreciation of acoustic archtops. Such that I curtailed my L7/CCES-250 conversion and changed to L7/L7E McCarty Pickup conversion.
    Last edited by icr; 12-22-2015 at 01:37 PM.

User Info Menu

these Rene Thomas/Bobby Jaspar videos are priceless to me.
    way, way back in the day on my honeymoon in Paris I was scouring the record shops during some down time and found a copy of Chet Baker's "Chet Is Back" on RCA and bought it having never heard of the sidemen.
    It became one of my favorite lps and seeing these videos uploaded 4 or 5 yrs ago w/the same band, sans Baker, was really cool after all those yrs of owning the lp and admiring the musicians.

User Info Menu

As an owner of a 1937 ES-150, I would argue that the tone from that Rene Thomas clip is the distinctive tone that is produced by an original ES-150. For somebody searching for a fatter Charlie Christian tone, it was a bit disconcerting that I would get a tone more like Mr. Thomas when I plugged into something other than an old octal-tube/field-coil speaker amp.

I've come to realize the clarity and twang inherent in a CC pickup are the perfect complement for those first-generation amplifiers, who were primarily designed for steel guitar, and attenuating the treble was a big inherent feature of their tone. Unfortunately replicating that treble attenuation is far more complicated than simply turning down the treble knob on a backline '65 DRRI, or something.

User Info Menu

You guys now have me thinking… I have a "project" archtop, a "Johnson" that is kind of like the Epiphone Joe Pass, except that I paid $50 for it. I've used it as the guinea pig for every project I've undertaken--fret leveling, playing with wiring, the works. So now it looks like a CC pickup for this axe could be my next project, which would then make it a unique "player" on my jazz guitar team.

Thinking maybe one of the humbucker-sized ones, but drawn to the more original design…

User Info Menu

but drawn to the more original design…

There should be no issue putting an expensive repo or original ES150 cc pickup in an inexpensive guitar. The pickup is never permanently attached to the guitar and will not lose any if it's value just because it was once mounted on a $50 guitar. You can always take the pickup out and put it in another guitar or sell it and get most of your money back. I'd say go for it.

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-mytele1-jpgHere's mine - can't remember the name of the guy who made it though - he was from Nashville.

User Info Menu

Hi there, I am new here, first post for me!
    here's my two guitars with Vintage Vibe CC's at the neck
    Pete is a great guy and and the pickups he makes are truly awesome
    The first is my main guitar, a 2004 Fender Baja tele modified with a completely hollow aftermarket body, and CC pickup on the neck. I kept the S-1 wiring , work great with this pickup combination.
    Second guitar is an Epi Les Paul Junior, fitted with CC on the neck and a P-90 from Zanghbucker. The P-90 I reversed the magnets to get the out of phase sound in the middle position. Also this sounds awesome. The middle position is truly very T-Bone Walker like!Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-unnamed-11-jpgCharlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-unnamed-12-jpg

User Info Menu

well time to chime in now that my '39 L5P is back from Pete Moreno's. now that the harness is replaced and it's also got new caps that neck pickup is real loud. Don't know if you can see but Pete adjusted the blade way down, actually below the pickup cover opening. It's glassy and bright without being shrill.

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_1734-jpgCharlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_1733-jpg

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-p9020020-jpg

any idea about this 1979 es175cc pickup?

be happy...if you got another guitar
    woodpecker

User Info Menu

I think it's a Seymour Duncan humbucker in a CC PU format.

User Info Menu

thank you Fred,

I searched Seymour Duncan`s website, but did not find a CC pickup with the big magnet underneath
    the top, that is fixed with three screws.
    I got this guitar 20 years ago and the pre-owner was in no way a guitarmodder, so the pickup must be older
    than 25-30 years
    so it`s still a mistery.
    could it be factory made?

be happy,
    woodpecker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woodpecker
    it`s still a mistery.
    Hi Woody,

Hmm I don't think so. Gibson has always released "classic" CC PU with a single bar going through the magnet. Is your guitar a real 175CC from 1978-1980 or is it a 175 retrofitted with a CC PU ? In any case some guitar tech must have mounted this double bar CC unit. I think it was proposed by Seymour some time ago and it was a real humbucker. Have you noted hum if you put your guitar close to an amp ? If no hum, them it's a Seymour humbucker.

Edit: just found your CC PU from seymour. It's here:
    Charlie Christian Pickup - YouTube

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 09-03-2017 at 05:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woodpecker
    thank you Fred,

I searched Seymour Duncan`s website, but did not find a CC pickup with the big magnet underneath
    the top, that is fixed with three screws.
    I got this guitar 20 years ago and the pre-owner was in no way a guitarmodder, so the pickup must be older
    than 25-30 years
    so it`s still a mistery.

be happy,
    woodpecker
    If Seymour (or J. Lollar or any ambitious pickup winder) wants to do a real CC I don't doubt he can't. Here is Seymour's Custom Shop's CC offering:
    Charlie Christian Swingster - Seymour Duncan Custom Shop

User Info Menu

thank you for sharing your knowlege,

the dual blade pickup shown in the video is quite similar to mine, the mounting to the top is the same, Seymour's blades seem to be a little wider .
    could be the camera... , maybe he used different blades over the years
    think I ask him, when he started to make these.

my pickup is dead quiet, it is humbucking.
    the routing won't fit for a paf
    the guitar's serial number says 1979, the stamp below made in u.s.a., the trussrod cover ES-175/CC

be happy,
    woodpecker

User Info Menu

I have a Seymour Duncan traditional mount CC pickup with the single blade and it's a great pickup. Sounds very close to my original CC pickup but with more volume/magnet strength. I installed it in a 1928 Gibson L-4 because it would fit in the large round sound-hole without needing a new pickup hole. I decided to mount the pickup without making any new holes in the old guitar, so I mounted Schatten thumbwheel controls under the pickguard and the jack outside of the guitar at the bottom of the bridge. I took a clear CD size plastic cover, cut a third off the top and used it to hold the pickup in place. The whole thing is held together with three mounting screws and bracings inside the soundhole screwed against the outer plastic cover. You might notice the triangular configuration of the three screws is shorter than the original mounting design. This was done to prevent drilling a hole into the guitar top. Anyway, it's kind of hard to explain but it works well and been this way for a dozen years or more.
    I also believe that while the Duncan pickup sounds great, it may not have the paralleling twin magnets like the original pickup. I think the magnet is located by the coil under the blade. The twin flat bars are actually steel bars to accommodate the three-screw design. I can't swear by this since I haven't examined the innards of this guitar since installing it but it seems when I looked at it then, that was the case.

Duncan did a great job capturing the dimensions, weight and look of an original 30s CC pickup. And to my ears, I think it does a great job sonically as well. Since I have an original 30's CC pickup on my ES-150, I believe I can make the comparison with confidence.

Here are a couple of pictures of the guitar and pickup. Also, the L-4 and the ES-150. I think it's a '37 or '39. (yes, both guitars are left-handed...)
    Attached Images Attached Images Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_3418-jpg Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_3417-jpg Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_3419-jpg 
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 09-03-2017 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

So while I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan CC pickup, I thought I'd tell you the story about how I got it.

Back around 15 years ago I met Seymour at a vintage guitar show in Denver, Colo. I asked him if he'd ever consider building a CC pickup. Back then no-body was making CC pickups. If you wanted one you had to strip it out of another Gibson guitar. Seymour said he loved CC pickups and loved tinkering with them, and "maybe" some day he might offer one.

A few years go by, I'm surfing on the net and I find a picture of a Seymour Duncan three-screw CC pickup with the proper mounting. It was an exciting find indeed! Even then no-one welse as making this type of pickup. I called his shop and one of his workers answered the phone. I told him about the picture on the internet and he chuckled saying, "Yeah, that's Seymour's little baby. When he gets the time, he loves tinkering with it at his workbench. It's actually not in production, and may never be. It's like a hobby. We should probably take that picture down." Well upon further conversation with him, it became apparent that if I wanted to take the chance I could order one and be put on the wait list. No guarantees it would ever be made. I said absolutely, and he said, "Okay then, you're number three -- right behind Ben Harper."

A year goes by. I'd kind of forgotten about the pickup. I get home and sitting at my door is a small package. I look at it and it's hand addressed from Seymour Duncan. Turns out he actually made the pickups and my pickup -- number three -- had arrived!

Now the question was: What guitar am I going to put this in? Since I already had an original late-30's Gibson ES-150, I knew the complications it could entail. I considered buying an L-50 and cutting a hole in the top but I was concerned given the difference in bracing between the L-50 and ES-150, whether it would work or not. I looked at other guitars, each time thinking, how would this look with a hole big enough to accommodate the three-screw CC pickup. Then it dawned on me -- maybe it would fit in my 1928 L-4. Sure enough the L-4's enlarged sound hole accommodated the pickup, and the rest was a matter of figuring out how to mount it (as described and seen in the above thread reply).

As a bonus, it turns out the L-4 is a great choice since it is essentially the same size body and dimensions as the ES-150, has a carved top, and is the same relative age. The L-4 also has a carved back and the ES-150 has a flat back, but otherwise it's a very close fit.

So there you go --- sometimes things just fall together.

User Info Menu

I've got a S. D. C. Christian pick in 2006 then a Peerless New York three years later, still trying to figur e out what would be the best pots & caps. I' m going to try a 500(vol) & 250(tone) with a grey Tiger .20 capacitor . I hope this will work out fine. Before the end of the week I should get a VA185G, I tried an original Gibson amp in Brooklyn 2 gyears ago , but I was not overwhelmed. & founding a proper technician for such an amp in France is almost impossible. What type of cap & pots do you use? It looks like Seymour don't make those pu anymore , but there is still a waiting list waiting to be completed.......