The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

i meant in terms of some type of trade...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Jonathan0996;532584]Mark is a great player who gets a beautiful sound. I think he used the PRS on most or all of his CDs.

I've also got a PRS Hollowbody. I disagree with the person who said it was thin and bright sounding. I also disagree that the pickups are too hot. You can roll back the treble and it warms up nicely. You can also make it very bright and chimey. They can be warm and jazzy or bright and edgy. /QUOTE]

I agree, I have a PRS HB I that is very dark and warm with flats on it, to the extent its hard to brighten up. But very versatile when strung with round wounds.

User Info Menu

I have a 2009 limited edition archtop jazz with a spruce top, mahogany back, maple binding and piezo. Only 50 made and comes in a suede eagle case. The head is signed by Paul Reed Smith. Mint Condition!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daddy777
    I have a 2009 limited edition archtop jazz with a spruce top, mahogany back, maple binding and piezo. Only 50 made and comes in a suede eagle case. The head is signed by Paul Reed Smith. Mint Condition!
    Let's see some pictures of that beauty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daddy777
    Oh well, congratulations on owning 1 out of 50. And mint too.

Most cats here don't really care about such limited editions but it is cool that you do.

Own her in good health.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Until I sell my other Heritage, I can't get seriously anything in any specific guitar. And then, as my wife has so nicely reminded me, I need to really think about the economics carefully of whatever I buy. So right now it's just more generalized research.
    all I can said is look more ~~~ other Guitar !!!

User Info Menu

i always loved the sound of the PRS Spruce hollowbody when I had it but when I go back and listen to clips of it that I made, i'm not impressed with the sound. Particularly compared to the more traditional archtops.

User Info Menu

Archtop !

PRS McCarty Archtop Spruce?-image-jpg

Archtop ???

User Info Menu

Nice clip and interesting insights, regardless of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 999369
    Archtop !
    Archtop ???
    Looks to me like the top is arched, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 999369
    Archtop !

Archtop ???

Everyone has their own tastes and their own reasons but given the choice between these two, I would choose the PRS every time. The top guitar, however nice it may be, its simply not a guitar that I would get any use from. The PRS is a guitar that would almost certainly fit my personal needs much better. That being said, after angsting for several months over what I want as a third guitar, I actually decided that my actual playing needs are very well covered by my current two guitars. All I really wanted was something to use for teaching lessons and making instruction materials. That being the case, I decided to go with something that cost a lot less (an Epiphone Sorrento 62 RI) and not worry about whether it was a great guitar. I've had it for a few weeks, had some basic setup work done on it and it's doing the job just fine for about $600 (CDN ... that's about $475 US) total.

User Info Menu

I do have PRS HB-I & HB-II ( 10 Top )

But is not " True "Hollow Body ( Archtop ) Tone , Structure is Different

This is my experience ( this Finally I have to say )
    Last edited by 999369; 08-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, it's true; the PRS models do not have a true hollow body sound. The tops are way too thick for any meaningful acoustic contribution, which is an important feature even in a full laminate hollow body.

The top is sculpted out by CNC and is certainly arched in shape, but doesn't really fit the "archtop" archetype.

Great guitars, though, with their own unique, airy, ballsy sound. Perhaps more "jazz" than a 335 but nowhere near a 175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Yes, it's true; the PRS models do not have a true hollow body sound. The tops are way too thick for any meaningful acoustic contribution, which is an important feature even in a full laminate hollow body.

The top is sculpted out by CNC and is certainly arched in shape, but doesn't really fit the "archtop" archetype.

Great guitars, though, with their own unique, airy, ballsy sound. Perhaps more "jazz" than a 335 but nowhere near a 175.
    Considering that I spent quite a while gigging full time with one of these, more "jazz: than a 335 sound spretty good to me.

User Info Menu

Hi, this is exactly MY guitar! PRS Archtop (1999). I both last year in Milan, second hans: awesome piece!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    McCARTY HOLLOWBODY: 1998 - Current. Hollowbody - carved spruce top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody I - carved maple top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody II - carved maple top and back with mahogany sides. All models are 1 3/4" depth at rim, 3" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, PRS adjustable stoptail bridge, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle. Piezo bridge pickup option added in 1999.

McCARTY ARCHTOP: 1998 - 2001. Archtop - carved spruce top, carved mahogany back and sides. Archtop I - carved maple top with carved mahogany back and sides, Archtop II - carved maple top and back with mahogany sides and rosewood headstock veneer. All models are 2 3/4" depth at rim, 4" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, PRS adjustable stoptail bridge, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle. Piezo bridge pickup option added in 1999.

McCARTY ARCHTOP ARTIST: 1998 - 2001. Specs similar to Archtop II, but with artist grade figured maple top and back, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, abalone bird inlays with 14k gold outline. Each guitar numbered on back of headstock. Click here for a picture of a McCarty Archtop Artist.

ARCHTOP: 2002 - 2004. Carved spruce top, carved artist grade maple back with carved mahogany sides. 2 3/4" depth at rim, 4" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, Brazilian rosewood fretboard and headstock veneer, Paua birds and signature, PRS adjustable piezo stoptail bridge, gold hardware, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle and piezo electronics. Click here for a picture of an Archtop.

Attachment 20338

Atrribution: What model is the REALLY thick bodied hollow double F hole PRS?

This thread has been up for months ....

But I just realized that picture is my PRS Archtop (sold long ago) on my chair in front of my back door and my back yard.

As they say ... be careful what you post on the internetz .... that picture seems to have gotten around

LOL

User Info Menu

I know I'm late but maybe this can be of help:

I have two PRS archtops, a spruce and a maple top.
    Besides these I have the JA-15, a SC-J and a hollowbody. Pretty much the PRS hollow line up.
    All great guitars. All their own character.
    I disagree with statements as the PRS archtop being 'thin' or 'trebly' or whatever. It's no telecaster..come on..
    The PRS archtops sound like..well.. PRS archtops!
    Not much around to really compare it with due to it's very specific building with a small but thick body with a thick carved solid top and a sturdy connection between top and backside. And with a stop tail. No feedback. Rock ready.
    Don't expect this to sound like a traditional archtop, how could it be?
    They sound rather unique, a bit woody but also a bit solid, much much directer compared to traditional jazz archtops. If you must compare, compare it with semi acoustic guitars, technically it IS a semi acoustic.
    They're versitale with a big V! Perfect if you got several styles to deal with in one session.
    335 sounds, solid body like sounds, archtop like sounds...all kinda possible, all in a very well build high end guitar.
    They somehow never became popular, maybe because they're too woody for most rock guitarists and too solid for most traditional jazz guys. Can't understand why they didn't went more popular in fusion btw. Quality isn't always popular..
    Maybe it's name suggest things it simply isn't. It's called 'archtop' but it is a semi.
    But I really can't understand anybody would think it should be a traditional jazz box...Just look at the thing!
    Anyhow, for me they are my best loved and most played guitars. From funk to blues to traditionall jazz to heavy distorted rock licks just like that. Nice small too, very managable in a crowded space. Superb.

The other hollow PRSes in my book:
    JA-15: much like the archtop, a bit more mellow but not a big difference. A bit of ibanez GB taste?
    SC-J: big but thin bodied, more traditional but certainly no L5. No 175 either. Woody but direct. Think maybe a ES-125 thinline but then build 1000% better. Sophistication! Unique. Expensive..
    Hollowbody: 335 territory PRS style.

Best of luck.

User Info Menu

I'd love to get my hands on an SC-J some day. I own a JA-15 with the PRS 53/10 pickups. The combination is perfect! Especially with 12 gauge strings. BOOM!

User Info Menu

yes, I owned one and gigged with it for a year. Nice guitar, neck heavy like all the prs hollowbodies but a much jazzier tone than the thinner ones. Truthfully, the eastman el rey sounds better and is about the same degree of neck heavy and less than 1/2 the price used.

also , spent a couple hours with the ja-15, nice guitar but I'd still take the eastman in terms of tone. The PRS hollowbodies sound a bit on the sterile side to me as you can hear in this video:

You're better off with the eastman or GB10 though the GB10 is a lot heavier.

Last edited by jzucker; 03-12-2016 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

...interestingly, my wife not knowing what was playing said "hey...that sounds nice."

What pickups were in it? 57/08s are pretty great...as are 53/10s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbean25
    ...interestingly, my wife not knowing what was playing said "hey...that sounds nice."

What pickups were in it? 57/08s are pretty great...as are 53/10s
    I don't know. Generically, speaking they were prs mccarty hollowbody pickups but beyond that I'm not sure. On my PRS Archtop I put in 57 classics but it still sounded pretty much the same.

User Info Menu

Jack, that's a great tone. Is that a Hollowbody or Archtop?

User Info Menu

I have one. Best instrument I’ve ever owned. Sounds amazing, well made, has a piezo pickup and can be played as an acoustic or blend Humbucker’s with piezo. Feels more like a violin than a guitar. Will never sell it but pass on to someone in my will.

It retailed for $6500.00 when I bought it but one of my best friends, who worked at a music store, called and urged me to buy it when they came out. He bought 2 of them. I got mine from him, with case, for $3500.00.

I saw one for sell on eBay for $15K. Don’t know if it’s still there. Don’t know if I’d pay that much for one but having one and knowing what it’s like to play and gig with, I understand why the asking price is so high.

There used to be a whole write up about it on the PRS site. They made it as a tribute to McCarty. As close to perfection as I can imagine something like it being made. Lots of handwork went into it I’m sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    yes, I owned one and gigged with it for a year. Nice guitar, neck heavy like all the prs hollowbodies but a much jazzier tone than the thinner ones. Truthfully, the eastman el rey sounds better and is about the same degree of neck heavy and less than 1/2 the price used.

also , spent a couple hours with the ja-15, nice guitar but I'd still take the eastman in terms of tone. The PRS hollowbodies sound a bit on the sterile side to me as you can hear in this video:

You're better off with the eastman or GB10 though the GB10 is a lot heavier.

This post is almost old enough to drink by now but that's some great stuff Jack

User Info Menu

My Hollowbody II with Piezo is a real Swiss Army knife. I’ve always had 11s on it as it lends itself to bends well. Note that the balance is restored a little by having those electronics and battery.
    It’s possible that this early one might have had some special sauce.

PRS McCarty Archtop Spruce?-img_2611-jpg

PRS McCarty Archtop Spruce?-img_2612-jpg

Note these have machine carved rims from a solid slab of wood. If you want bent rims look elsewhere!