The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

any opinion about this Tele? I/ve tried It in the music shop-great guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

7,25" fingerboard radius - not everyones favorite. Just something to be aware of.

User Info Menu

I have one. I would have preferred a flatter fingerboard.
    I put a DiMarzio Twang King in the neck.
    If I could go back I'd rather buy a Suhr Classic T.

User Info Menu

I owned one. The fingerboard radius, skinny frets and weak neck pickup were all problems that might not be noticeable during a music store test drive, but became very noticeable in real world gigging. I sold it and acquired the Hot Rod version ( no longer in production). The Hot Rod version solves all of those issues and is a top notch guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I owned one. The fingerboard radius, skinny frets and weak neck pickup were all problems that might not be noticeable during a music store test drive, but became very noticeable in real world gigging. I sold it and acquired the Hot Rod version ( no longer in production). The Hot Rod version solves all of those issues and is a top notch guitar.
    Did you buy the one with the Seymour Duncan mini-humbucker?

User Info Menu

yes

User Info Menu

Every Fender guitar I ever owned pre-1980 featured a 7.25" radius fingerboard--unless the guitar had been refretted, in which case the board sometimes gets flatter. All Fenders from the Leo and CBS days just had the old radius. Let me tell you, if you had a "B-neck" it was really apparent that the radius was dramatic. It was not so obvious on C-neck and D-neck guitars (D-necks are like hen's teeth, by the way--rare).

My first Fender was a 1965 B-neck Stratocaster (L-serial number plate on the back of the body). It was a GREAT sounding Fender. The narrow nut was a little bothersome to me. I sold it and bought a 1968 C-neck, that I kept for 42 years. That guitar was really special.

Meanwhile, I owned a series of mainly B-necked Telecasters with 7.25" radius necks over the years. Somehow, for playing country, chicken-pickin'-style the B-neck always seemed about right. Hanging the thumb over the top of the neck is super easy with the B-neck, and the 7.25" radius works well for "redneck jazz."

These days, I own a '52 Vintage RI Telecaster. Unlike the AV it has the 9.5" radius neck. I would prefer the more authentic 7.25--I think. The other thing about the '52 RI--at least the early ones--is that they weigh a ton. It doesn't affect the tone adversely. Actually, it may work the other way; every '52 RI from the early 90s that I've played sounded absolutely great. However, Telecasters that weigh as much as Les Pauls are definitely tiring to play for any length of time.

I think you will be well pleased with the AV 52.

User Info Menu

I've recently purchased one of these, I couldn't be happier. Can't compare the neck pickup with other tele pus but it sounds warm to me. 7.25" radius, vintage frets and U neck profile are quite comfortable to me to play chords and yes, bendings are a bit more difficult but not that much tbh, in the end is a matter of taste, I'd go to you local shop and try different neck profiles to be sure which one you prefer, that's what I did. Don't worry about pus, they can be changed easily, but you can't change the neck without spending a big amount of money.

User Info Menu

The '52s are great. The bridge pickup is terrific. I love mine.

User Info Menu

Not to be a broken record, but this is why I went with a G&L ASAT. I could choose the neck I wanted: 12" radius, 1 3/4" nut, medium jumbo frets, and ebony fretboard. Try getting that from Fender!

User Info Menu

I have a '52RI with Bardens and a neck that was rebuilt by Suhr. It has a 9"-11" compound radius and the largest stainless frets they had. They resprayed the neck and then finished it on the Plek machine. This is my best playing guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Graydon
    I have a '52RI with Bardens and a neck that was rebuilt by Suhr. It has a 9"-11" compound radius and the largest stainless frets they had. They resprayed the neck and then finished it on the Plek machine. This is my best playing guitar.
    Wow, I guess you can now fly on that fretboard.
    I'm not being sarcastic. It really must be very comfortable to play.
    Last edited by Jazz_175; 09-14-2015 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Wow, I guess you can now fly on that fretboard.
    I'm not being sarcastic. It really must be very confortable to play.
    Ha, I wish I could fly. The speed with which I can play is definitely limited by my ability, not the guitar. Seriously though, it is a much more comfortable guitar to play. I am always amazed at the versatility of this Tele being such a simple instrument.

User Info Menu

Kris, the 52 reissue is a really nice guitar. It is definitely one of the best standard models. However, I encourage you to try an American Special. I've tried both back to back. To me, the American special is the model best suited to jazz. It has fantastic pickups with a special tone circuit that makes it really easy to dial in great jazz tones. It is cheaper than the 52 RI too. I admit that it does not have the same vintage mojo as the 52 reissue, but the American special is overall a better guitar in my humble opinion. I really love mine.

User Info Menu

What about a 52 special (Japan)? Very inexpensive and a full humbucker in neck position. Anyone played this one?

Fender FSR 52 Telecaster Special Guitar in Vintage Natural | Andertons
    Last edited by jzjazz; 09-25-2017 at 02:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Or go to Warmoth, etc., and just order what you want for a neck, body, hardware, finish, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Not to be a broken record, but this is why I went with a G&L ASAT. I could choose the neck I wanted: 12" radius, 1 3/4" nut, medium jumbo frets, and ebony fretboard. Try getting that from Fender!
    Actually it's a good thing Fender mostly sticks with the original specs. Seems to me the majority wants wider and flatter necks, and I prefer the opposite- rounder and narrower. Fender just got it right! 1 5/8 nut, 7.5 radius, try getting that from Gibson!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    What about a 52 special (Japan)? Very inexpensive and a full humbucker in neck position. Anyone plater This one?

Fender FSR 52 Telecaster Special Guitar in Vintage Natural | Andertons

yeah..

slightly off kilter

has sticky finish neck..a bit of sanding helps..but still overall not quite right...

decent..but not earth shaking

cheers