The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socalbill
    I really like these Crossover picks as well. The “original” shark tooth one comes with a strap you an use to load up your favorite flat pick, and this is what works for me. A Dunlop 207 in one of these and I can play fingerstyle or flatpick. I have been having so much fun running exercises one way, then the other. Great product.
    I too think it's a great product. I've been experimenting with a couple different ones and will make a full-fledged demo soon as I feel I'm doing justice to the pick.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    A video showing what can be done with the Crossover Pick on a solidbody electric guitar. I have some of these picks and use them from time to time. Since I got a new Tele for Christmas, I'm much more keen on playing with the thumbpick. ;o)

What's cool about these is that you can play upstrokes (-you can strum with it) as well as use it like a traditional thumbpick. Also, you can grip it with your index like a flatpick and it will feel like playing with one. So it can be the best of both worlds.

User Info Menu

+1 for Strum n Comfort Dick Elliot uses them ...not sure how long but I'd bet a while.....

...I've never tried them, and no affiliation, etc.............

User Info Menu

Good on anyone who get on with a thumbpick. I have tried numerous times and always end up giving up in utter frustration. Using as a flatpick is what always doesn't work for me. I always end up going back to hybrid picking with a flatpick. Ah well...

User Info Menu

I'm working with the Kodiak crossover pick now.
    Smaller--thinner--strap than the Sharktooth.
    A few pictures, taken just now w/ my iPhone.

Thumb Picks for Jazz-img-1650-jpgThumb Picks for Jazz-img-1649-jpgThumb Picks for Jazz-img-1647-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the photos of that. Very helpful to tell that it wouldn't work for me; with a pick, I like to have my thumb very close to the strings- actually brushing the strings- and only let a very tiny bit of the tip the pick show, so the strap would be running into the strings all the time for me. I may just need to learn to use proper finger style technique!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Thanks for the photos of that. Very helpful to tell that it wouldn't work for me; with a pick, I like to have my thumb very close to the strings- actually brushing the strings- and only let a very tiny bit of the tip the pick show, so the strap would be running into the strings all the time for me. I may just need to learn to use proper finger style technique!
    The strap brushing the string is an issue for me too. The pick is adjustable, so you can let more or less of the tip show. Not for everyone, certainly---and there are some things I'm not entirely comfortable with yet---but I think it's a nifty thing.

(One appeal for them, esp to older players, is that it makes it easier to hold a pick. Some of us find it hard to hold a normal pick. (Or to hold it steady for a long time, such as during a set.) This is a big help with that.

I should make some videos about my experience with it soon. Again, not for everyone but it might be for more people than we tend to think at first blush.

User Info Menu

I think I've found the one for me:

Thumb Picks for Jazz-kodiak-jpg

The pick on the bottom right is a Sharktooth. The one to its left is a Kodiak. (The image is of a bear but the glare on this picture obscures this.) The Kodiak has a sharper point. The pick that is 'strapped in' is also a Kodiak but it has been shaped by the pick maker Greg Atkins. This is his particuar preference. (There are special versions for Ron Eschete and Les Wise.) I think this is the one for me. I like the sharper point and the angle. Video to come....