The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

I traveled yesterday to a guitar store where they had several Godin Multiac guitar models.

Although I had gone there to look at something else, the Godin Nylon SA really got my attention. I really liked this instrument and found it very comfortable to play sitting down. I have spent a little time lately trying to get a Bossa Nova right hand rhythm down, and I found I like that on this guitar.

I have spent the last 10 years primarily playing hollow body archtops.

My reaction to the Godin model really surprised me. I have a classical guitar that I have not used for almost 15 years now.

I would love to see a good dialogue on the various Godin nylon string models. I think there is some kind of comparison chart on the Godin web site, but I am having trouble finding it again.

Not sure if I would ever use the SA feature. It seems they quickly identify the various pickup, electronic systems, but do not know what other parameters change.

I used to think that nylon string guitars were primarily played fingerstyle. However I did see a few people playing them with a flatpick on line. Is this common?

I think I would like to see some good video of people playing these guitars? Any favorite performers or You Clips recommended? Not exactly sure how I would use one of these. Don't think I would want to haul it to a gig to play just one or two tunes.

I thought this was the year where I was going to really focus on music and not on gear. ................

Danielle

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sylvain Luc is a big player of the Godin's, both steel & nylon, just search for him in youtube, he has a ton of vids, to many for me to pick a fav.

User Info Menu

I play an ACS. I don't use the synth but it happened to be on the guitar I bought. It still has a bit of a plucky piezo sound to it but it's the best nylon sound I've been able to find at gig volumes without feedback/projection issues. I really like it and it is very comfortable to play. Works with a pick for soloing.

Lione Loueke plays a multiac.

Also, I got mine for a hell of a deal from this dude:
    slightlytouchedguitar.blogspot.com
    Last edited by drbhrb; 05-18-2015 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I have the Grand Concert "Duet Ambiance," and I absolutely love it. Best plugged in sound of any "electric acoustic" I've ever played, and a surprising amount of unplugged volume (plenty for practice)

User Info Menu

What's the difference between the Grand Concert and the SA?

User Info Menu

Also use the SA -- fantastic neck and incredible evenness all across the finger board. Just great to play jazz on....

A joy to play!!

GC is larger --larger chamber body wider neck

User Info Menu

Yeah, GC is larger body, "classical" width neck, no synth, dual source pickup (piezo + mic modeling)

Feels more like a classical in your hands as opposed to a "hybrid."

User Info Menu

They make 3 nut widths: GC is 2"(?), standard SA is 1-7/8", and the "Slim" is 1-11/16, I think. MOP is that they should bump up the Slim to 1-3/4". The radius is pretty shallow, 16". I think the new ones are Richlite, you can get ebony on a used one if that matters to you.

User Info Menu

The Grand Concerto model is available as an SA model, if I recall correctly. The SA designation is the 13-pin piezoelectric pickup. Not straight MIDI. Needs to go through an interface USB into the computer or into a Roland or Axon guitar synth.

User Info Menu

silvain luc is truly wonderful on that Godin

massive ears , check 'isn't she lovely'
    with Birrelli

User Info Menu

Godins are nice guitars. I wouldn't constrain myself to playing a nylon string guitar just with your fingers. I have a La Patrie Hybrid CW and I play it fingerstyle and with a pick. I use a nice John Pearse 3.2mm Fast Turtle and it produces a lovely dark, articulate tone with the nylon strings.

User Info Menu

Yeah...I grew up in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood...folks used picks on nylon string guitars ALL the time...never thought twice about it, but I do really like the feeling of "fingers only" on nylon, much more than on steel.

User Info Menu

I've been mainly a stratocaster, telecaster player but I've fallen completely in love with my Multiac SA. Its the only guitar I've played for months.

I gather the ACS models are designed for playing at higher volumes. I do not see myself playing at any high volume events. As I rarely plug an instrument in when practicing at home, I am thinking I should rule out the ACS models. I have not played an ACS model. Ruling out ACS does seem to rule out a lot of wood selections.

I would not want a 2" nut. This rules out the Grand Concert models.

Ruling out the above seems to leave the Encore Nylon, the Nylon SA, and the Nylon Duet Ambience. I am leaning towards the Nylon SA, as that is what happened to play and liked.

How are the electronics in all of these models? Any problems with hum? Anyone have any opinions on the electronic systems for the models that I am left with here? I hear of mics in guitars I tend to think of something that may be overly sensitive to volumes / feedback. Not sure where I am still trying to get a better feel for the model differences.

Tough to find all of the models at one place to compare.

Danielle

User Info Menu

I love Godin guitars. Have three currently (Montreal, a P90 5th Ave and Jazz 5th Ave). Absolutely adore them.

Multiac's on the other hand .... :-(
    I have tried three in the past 9 months ... first had a fault, and I also had miss givings about the piezo sound so I returned it. (I loved the neck on the slim ACS. So elegant, smooth and slim.)
    But thought I would give them a second try, so I arranged to borrow one for a weekend (the chambered duel miked version). Again hated the sound

Succumbed for a third time after seeing one in a sale, but returned after a week in exchange for a different guitar.
    Just can't get on with the piezo sound at ... despite the loveliness of the neck on the slim ACS model.
    I also suspect Godin put very low tension strings on new Multiacs to reduce the thump of the piezo ... but this results in a very sloppy feeling guitar.

The sound to my ears is just dead. They are zombie guitars.
    They need tons of reverb and a bit of delay just to embody the sound with any sort of liveliness.

I can understand why they might be the best compromise if you need to gig with an amplified nylon in a loud environment ... but just for the pleasure of playing a guitar, I feel they have no 'spirit'.
    Last edited by drewbuchan; 05-19-2015 at 12:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I bought a used SA (15 years old I think, ebony neck, got a good price) last year and couldn't stop playing it during 6 months, very comfortable (sitting and standing) nice neck.
    I play it trough a Yamaha AG stomp (old one too but goooood!) with reverb and chorus, avoiding this way the piezo sound that is real. My amp is a Vox AGA70 (there's one channel with a tube, really good).
    I use all this for bossa (the reason I bought the Godin), it's good too with a pick (solo and my poor tries of chord melody).

If you are in love with this guitar buy it! (pay attention to the fretwork on new ones, sometimes not so good) Think of effects and an appropriate amp, good luck!

french Michel

User Info Menu

I would recommend buying a second hand if you really are determined to own one,
    Loads on ebay, especially in the US.

The one that I tried and liked in the store was a Nylon SA. They had it plugged into a Schertler amp. I must admit that I did not take the time to observe how they may have had the EQ set.

(For reference, the guitar that I play most of the time these days is an Eastman AR503CE.)

I have never bought or sold anything on ebay. I was wondering if there is a common standard for ebay instrument conditions. I was once at a local high end acoustic dealer where he showed me a surface level scratch maybe 1/2" long, not very deep, very difficult to see, on the side of an instrument, that I think could have been buffed out. He said that would prevent him from listing an instrument as being in mint condition. Other than that one problem, the instrument the finish was flawless.

Anyone use the SA feature? I have to wonder where we are on the technology curve here. Is it still being widely used or are we on the downward slope of the popularity curve.

Danielle

User Info Menu

This is as good as it will ever get on a Godin Multiac Nylon

Sylvain Luc's solo is a killer

PS
    FWIW I'm selling a 2005 Godin Multiac Nylon. Located in Europe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drewbuchan
    I love Godin guitars. Have three currently (Montreal, a P90 5th Ave and Jazz 5th Ave). Absolutely adore them.

Multiac's on the other hand .... :-(
    I have tried three in the past 9 months ... first had a fault, and I also had miss givings about the piezo sound so I returned it. (I loved the neck on the slim ACS. So elegant, smooth and slim.)
    But thought I would give them a second try, so I arranged to borrow one for a weekend (the chambered duel miked version). Again hated the sound

Succumbed for a third time after seeing one in a sale, but returned after a week in exchange for a different guitar.
    Just can't get on with the piezo sound at ... despite the loveliness of the neck on the slim ACS model.
    I also suspect Godin put very low tension strings on new Multiacs to reduce the thump of the piezo ... but this results in a very sloppy feeling guitar.

The sound to my ears is just dead. They are zombie guitars.
    They need tons of reverb and a bit of delay just to embody the sound with any sort of liveliness.

I can understand why they might be the best compromise if you need to gig with an amplified nylon in a loud environment ... but just for the pleasure of playing a guitar, I feel they have no 'spirit'.
    My experience has been pretty much exactly the opposite of that described above. The guitar has great feel, high quality build, sounds great through my Fishman amp with really no tweaking required.

Playerizor, which particular model do you have?

Danielle

User Info Menu

I've never been a huge fan of Luc's live tone, I think I've heard folks get much better sounds out of the Godins...but can't argue with his playing! DAMN!

I'd like to hear him play my guitar...

User Info Menu

I've been playing the Multiac SA 7-string for several months now, mostly on high volume gigs with my African group. It was perfectly set up out of the box, and is a great compromise between a classical and an electric guitar, in that the fingerboard is plenty wide, but has a slight crown, making it easier to play jazz chords and slightly more plectrum-friendly. As far as amplified sound goes, there is no better system available for nylon-string guitars than the RMC; I have installed that system in several guitars, and all it needs is a nice little processor like the Zoom A2 or the Yamaha Stomp or Korg Acoustic Pandora. Spend some time tweaking the settings and you're sure to find a sound that you'll like. The Godins are also built like tanks, take a lot of punishment, but are stable as can be. I generally use a handmade flamenco guitar that's a modified 7-string with the RMC system for my less-loud gigs, but the Godin is a fine jazz/world music/fusion axe. Rather hard to beat the price points as well. I know I'd have to spend 4 times as much to get a handmade nylon 7 with the RMC system built in. Like every other guitar, one has to choose the model that "fits", although I had no choice with the 7, but it's almost perfect (I would like more frets on the 1st and 2nd strings).

User Info Menu

Check out the Rick Turner Rensissance RN-6 semi hollow nylon string. I have one and it gets a great sound, easy to mostly eliminate the foibles of piezos. Our own Paul Kirk has a nice video on YouTube of his.

User Info Menu

The Turner guitars sound great.

I need to do a nice recording of my Godin. I swear, it sounds more like a real acoustic guitar plugged in than anything I've ever played. The pickup system in the Duet Ambiance is the bees knees.