The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Playerizor, which particular model do you have?

Danielle
    I have the Nylon SA and play it through a small Fishman amp with just a little reverb.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've never been a huge fan of Luc's live tone, I think I've heard folks get much better sounds out of the Godins...but can't argue with his playing! DAMN!

I'd like to hear him play my guitar...
    Damn !

exquisite ..... momentous

User Info Menu

I've got the Multiac Nylon Duet. It's got an internal Baggs pickup and mic setup that you can blend. It doesn't have a synth pickup. They make them now with the Fishman system. I can't tell you which is better but I like mine a lot. Sounds terrific through my Acoustic Image Corus. I also like the playability of the instrument. I keep thinking I'd like to get a conventional classic guitar with a pickup, but I'm never displeased with the Multiac when I take it out on a gig.

The system is very quiet, by the way. It has a regular 1/4 inch jack and a cannon jack. You can use either one or both. I did a recording session a few weeks ago where I plugged into an amp with the 1/4 inch jack and they took the cannon feed direct into the board. Sounded clean and quiet. No complaints here.

User Info Menu

I am also a player/fan of the Grand Concert Duet Ambiance. The acoustic volume is great for practice and it is very difficult to get it to feedback. You can blend the piezo with the microphone simulations and get a lot of variety of sounds.

I am curious how you use the phase switch button, only for decreasing the feedback ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The Turner guitars sound great.

I need to do a nice recording of my Godin. I swear, it sounds more like a real acoustic guitar plugged in than anything I've ever played. The pickup system in the Duet Ambiance is the bees knees.

It's funny that both the Godin and the Turner guitars sound more acoustic through an amp than most acoustic guitars with a piezo pickup. They are both semi-hollow construction; I think that reduces the piezo thump that tends to come through and it also seems to reduce the nasal quack. Since I got my Turner I rarely play my Takamine classical through an amp because the Turner just sounds better.

Rick Turner and Seymour Duncan have a joint venture, DTAR, that produces some top-notch aftermarket acoustic amplification products.

User Info Menu

I still don't understand the difference between the Nylon-SA and the ACS-SA.

Woody,

It's my understanding that the ACS models, are constructed in a manner that makes them more suitable for playing at higher volumes. I would think that would make them less desirable for some one that wants to practice at home without plugging in.

You would think there must be a document or web page somewhere that gives a better picture regarding the construction. However I have not found it yet.

Danielle

I have been wondering about sustain with the Nylon multiac AC. Do you find it is similar to the average acoustic classical guitar?

Danielle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I still don't understand the difference between the Nylon-SA and the ACS-SA.
    nylon sa: solid spruce top

Acs-sa: lam (iirc) maple too

And slightly different body shapes.

User Info Menu

I'm using the Godin Nylon Duet Ambience model right now.

I would like to know the difference between the Duet Ambience model and the Grand Concert Ambience model.

I know that the Duet Ambience model has a smaller fingerboard and a smaller body size than the Grand Concert model. By the way, what is the difference between the two models' sound?

If the grand concert model has a thicker body and has a richer sound, and is softer, the question arises whether the grand concert model is a better model than the duet ambience model.

So I thought about changing it to a grand concert model, but I'm more concerned, because very nice about comfortable fingerboard of the Duet Ambience model.
    Can you tell us the difference between the sound and guitar tone of this grand concert model and the duet ambience model?

What could be called a better guitar?

And, how do you set up a Godin nylon guitar amp on a live stage? It was my first time using an electric nylon guitar, so I played it on a fender amplifier, but the sound was very bad. So I tried it directly on the mixer, but this sound was very bad than when I connected it to a computer with an audio interface.

How can I get good sound and tone from live performances?

User Info Menu

I bought one many years ago from Brandon Ross, who is an excellent guitarist. I had it for several years, and it sounds great, I wasn't playing it much for a while and sold it, and now I'd love to get another, but the Concert edition, what i loved about it, was how easy i could plug it in and tweak it slightly to get a nice recorded tone without setting up mics etc... you can record nice sounding nylon string quite easily, and it played nicely too

User Info Menu

The Grand Concert models have wide fingerboards and only 19 frets, but really sound excellent when properly EQ'd and effected with an outboard processor and amplified with a hi-fi rig like a Bose Compact. The other models have more frets, which could be important for some players, but are less "acoustic" in construction, so will have a bit more sustain but perhaps a little less "body" to the sound. Playing them with a pick works fine, I even use distortion and other effects on my Multiac, although finger style is the best. They are really hard to beat for the price. I've ben gigging almost exclusively with my Multiac Nylon 7-string for years now, never an issue, no work needed by a tech, always reliable, excellent intonation, and the SA feature is great fun with a Roland GR-55 synth (which also incorporates the VG-99 technology); I get all the synth sounds as well as a double handful of modeled guitars from an L4 to 335 to a variety of Fender models, eliminating the need for a steel-string instrument on most gigs. Just be sure to have a 9-volt battery in your gig bag, when the battery goes, it goes fast, even though they last generally a full year of regular gigging. The only time I gig with my conventional steel-string electric is if I need to bend more than a 1/2 step, as in blues; nylon strings won't bend more than that. I generally use the normal gauge D'Addario coated EXP basses and Luthier trebles and change strings maybe every 2 years!

User Info Menu

I recently bought a Godin Slim Multiac. My love of the nylon string guitar sound led me here and its been a lifelong passion. Love the sound of fingers plucking nylon guitar strings. I was scheming for an electric-"solidish" body nylon string guitar long scale neck with a neck width similar to a jazz guitar. Use my finger plucking classical guitar technique yet with a slimmer width fingerboard like an electric. When I use classical right hand technique on steel strings it chews my fingernails up. Also I like big stretch left-hand chording that I can get on a nice jazz neck. The idea of no feedback and a thin small body. A good nylon string for recording and live.
    So these are some of the things that led me to the Multiac Nylon Slim. Heres my impressions after a few covid-fuelled months... This is a solid build. The neck is great all the way up. Its set up well, from the Quebec factory in my case. Fast yet no buzzing which is impressive as nylon strings vibrate "wider" than steel. Its like playing a long scale electric neck that has great action. I also play with a pick sometimes for soloing. When playing with my fingernails you can really get a wide variety of tones with a rest or free stroke like a true classical. I would say that having the strings so close together unlike a classical wider spacing makes for different technique if you are used to the traditional width neck. Doesn't work for classical really but for jazz with a nylon string, excellent! Compared to an acoustic nylon string guitar these type of instruments require clean technique I have found. Thats because the pickup is very sensitive so your fingernails must be maintained for plucking nice tone. Probably like the difference between an acoustic cello or violin and its solid body version. So playing hard isnt necessary and the better tone with finger plucking is achieved with less. Takes some practice. The on-board 3 band EQ is basic and quite sensitive, good for achieving different sounds on the go, like bossa nova style. At home I use a rack EQ and a good compressor to a stereo board and my old studio monitors. For me this is good for what Im after, the clean sound of the nylon strings. Love that sound! Because these mostly solid body nylon string guitars have no body sound they can be clinical sounding. So I use a stereo FX processor with a room type sound and some digital reverb. Stereo FX is the way to go but I wouldn't bother for a live gig. The synth access port is Roland standard separated 6 string audio with a patch up and down control on the guitar but Im not sure the nylon strings lend themselves to tracking at this point in guitar synth evolution. I haven't got that far but will explore the synth side later. As I play a variety of guitars I like the similarity of the neck to steel strings. But like I said, its not a classical but a hybrid that is getting something different out of me which I am finding inspiring.

User Info Menu

I have the Multiac Nylon, which is not the slim neck model, although it's not as big as a typical classical.

It feels good and sounds good. Well built.

Here are the negatives.

Lower bout is a little short. It falls off my leg.

RMC electronics sound very trebly to me. I end up wishing I could turn the treble down further.

Acoustically, the guitar is as loud as some full body nylon guitars. Very live top. That's a positive. But, amplified, that turns into feedback at surprisingly low volumes. Just before I was going to smash the guitar, I went to an upholstery shop and bought strips of foam. I stuffed the guitar with the foam. The acoustic sound became dull and muffled, but amplified it still sounded fine. One other point -- I first tried blocking the holes in the body, but it didn't make any difference with respect to the feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I have the Multiac Nylon, which is not the slim neck model, although it's not as big as a typical classical.

It feels good and sounds good. Well built.

Here are the negatives.

Lower bout is a little short. It falls off my leg.

RMC electronics sound very trebly to me. I end up wishing I could turn the treble down further.

Acoustically, the guitar is as loud as some full body nylon guitars. Very live top. That's a positive. But, amplified, that turns into feedback at surprisingly low volumes. Just before I was going to smash the guitar, I went to an upholstery shop and bought strips of foam. I stuffed the guitar with the foam. The acoustic sound became dull and muffled, but amplified it still sounded fine. One other point -- I first tried blocking the holes in the body, but it didn't make any difference with respect to the feedback.
    Yes the top is quite live, mine is cedar. Your foam fix is interesting, I wouldn't have thought there was enough room in there! I used masking tape over my archtop guitar F-holes with not bad results. In the 70s I stuffed my old fullbody archtop to the brim with foam I was so fed up! Now I would use open cell audio foam I think. So I haven't tried the guitar live on stage. I am using it for recording in a controlled situation. As far as too much treble, theres a lot there at the flat setting. For finger plucking it picks up the finger nuances well but can take off. It can be tamed with a graphic EQ. Like a 15 band, you can dive right in to the finer upper frequencies compared to the onboard 3 band. Conversely, if there wasn't enough brightness available we would be complaining. EQ is the secret sauce of sound. Its great for removing stuff you don't want but not as good for adding something that isn't there. Even my strat into an amp, first thing into a programmable 7 band EQ pedal. Its very handy for many things like shaping the guitar sound right off the bat for different applications, like funk strumming or a dark jazz sound or a mid boost for rock.

User Info Menu

HIu
    i have the Godin Nylon Duet Ambience as well..its great. i used to have the Multiac with the RMC pickup sysytem and it was nice but this is wayyyy better with the mic modeling etc..I dont think the Grand Concert has the 4 way switch to change the mic modeling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    HIu
    i have the Godin Nylon Duet Ambience as well..its great. i used to have the Multiac with the RMC pickup sysytem and it was nice but this is wayyyy better with the mic modeling etc..I dont think the Grand Concert has the 4 way switch to change the mic modeling.
    Yea I noticed the top end stuff has the built in mike(is that what it is?) and you can mix the two. Im missing that "acoustic" element and am playing a bit differently. Is that "modelling" a real mic or an emulation?

User Info Menu

I have the Multiac ACS SA, and kind of want the Duet Ambience. For recording I've gone to using mic modeling plugin to make it sort of like the Duet Ambience. The Mic modeling impulse response was $10, a bit cheaper than buying the Duet Ambience. I don't plan on playing live but if I did, maybe then I'd get a Duet Ambience.

I posted this before but thought maybe this would be helpful on this thread.

User Info Menu

One practical issue that I don't like is that the volume controls are all small sliders. There's much less travel on these and it's very difficult to get the fine control that is possible with a rotary control. On all my other guitars I can easily adjust the volume up and down slightly for different parts of a tune, but the sliders are too prone to overshooting and leaving you too quiet or too loud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I have the Multiac ACS SA, and kind of want the Duet Ambience. For recording I've gone to using mic modeling plugin to make it sort of like the Duet Ambience. The Mic modeling impulse response was $10, a bit cheaper than buying the Duet Ambience. I don't plan on playing live but if I did, maybe then I'd get a Duet Ambience.

I posted this before but thought maybe this would be helpful on this thread.

The 3 Sigma seems to get rid of some of the snap and quack, but comes out darker.

User Info Menu

Am I reading this correctly? The Godin is as loud as a full-body acoustic, and feeds back? I thought that's what they're NOT supposed to do(?)

User Info Menu

Mine was loud enough to keep up with full body classical guitars in a class situaton. That was before I stuffed it with foam.

And, it fed back readily. I recall a duo rehearsal (with bass) where I had a practice amp pointing at me (wrong way to do it, I know). We were playing at a level we could talk over, and the Godin fed back. After I stuffed it with foam, feedback was not a problem.

User Info Menu

Mine was loud enough to keep up with full body classical guitars in a class situaton. That was before I stuffed it with foam.

And, it fed back readily. I recall a duo rehearsal (with bass) where I had a practice amp pointing at me (wrong way to do it, I know). We were playing at a level we could talk over, and the Godin fed back. After I stuffed it with foam, feedback was not a problem.
    What opening(s) did you use to stuff it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What opening(s) did you use to stuff it?
    There are two openings in the back of my guitar. I used the one that's a rectangle about 2x6 inches or so.

I cut the foam into strips and stuffed it in.

I bought the foam at an upholstery shop. I suspect that it's friable and there will be a mess when I try to remove it. And, it's surprisingly heavy.

I'd suggest figuring out some other stuffing if you're going in that direction.

User Info Menu

I hope the upholstery foam does not turn into a gooey mess in time. I suggest carded sheep's wool to anyone into guitar stuffing. Easy to remove and lightweight as well.

Carded sheep's wool is what is used in highend hifi loudspeakers. You don't need a lot of it to kill feedback.