The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 81

User Info Menu

Finding the gravity Classic 4mm to be plenty dark and full to me.

---maybe a difference of technique or holding the pick but there is definitely dark tone when I use it.
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 05-28-2015 at 12:08 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gravity Gold Series 5.0, last pick I'll ever buy, except a couple more of these.

User Info Menu

looks tempting but is $40 for a 4mm pick..... ouch...!

User Info Menu

The Gravity 5mm just has that feel. Plus, all his thick picks are good.

User Info Menu

Using Gravity 4mm Classic -- mostly... Feels and sounds great!

Looks like the Classic STD size goes from 4mm to 6mm on the site though $8 for 4mm $10 for 6 mm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I agree with Roger--both material and thickness matter. IMO, (and in my experience), acetate makes the best material for a darker sound. Acrylic makes a brighter sound. Nylon and Delrin? To me, they are both on the brighter end of the spectrum. Tortex? Toward the darker side of things, but not as dark as old-fashioned acetate.

Combine acetate with thickness and you have DARK tone. I play with a 4mm acetate pick and get a dark tone that is the antithesis of "plinky."

For the last several years, the brand of acetate, thick pick that I have used is Dugain, made by Jean-Charles Dugain in Paris. They aren't as readily available as Dunlop, etc., but they last and they are great guitar picks.
    Thanks for the recommendation Greentone, I see also that quite a few eminent players use(d) them
    I looked at Jean-Charles Dugain's site and have ordered a number of them , there is a variety of them
    they're currently winging their way to me.

Best,

User Info Menu

Great pick @ 4mm

the only problem is if one of the store in the US runes out--last guy said it would take 6 mo to get restocked..

Luckily the other store in the US had some....

how much to ship from France?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Great pick @ 4mm

the only problem is if one of the store in the US runes out--last guy said it would take 6 mo to get restocked..

Luckily the other store in the US had some....

how much to ship from France?
    I've bought Dugain picks directly through his web site, and I'm in the US. He uses PayPal, if I recall correctly, and the prices are a bit lower than from the US dealer(s) (especially with the current Euro/Dollar exchange rate). Not to mention that his stock and selection are generally more comprehensive. Here are the current shipping rates to the US:

-for the purchase of 1 to 3 picks: € 3.00
    -for the purchase of 4 to 5 picks: € 3.50
    -for the purchase of 6 Picks: € 4.00
    -for the purchase of 7 picks: € 4.50
    -for the purchase of 8 picks: € 5.00
    -for the purchase of 9 picks: € 6.00
    - + 10 + € 0.10 picks per pick
    http://www.dugainplectrums.com/_tos.html

And transit time was fairly quick, as I recall. Just a week or so, give or take a few days.

If you're interested in just acetate picks, here are the results of a search of "acetate" on the Dugain web site:

http://www.dugainplectrums.com/_sear...ml?req=acetate

User Info Menu

I see you can use Visa also

30 Euros was 32 Dollars not bad for 3/ 4mm picks with shipping

User Info Menu

+1 about the Dugain acetate, really the darkest and smoothest pick I ever tried, and rather cheap (9€) but I live in France ;-)
    When compared the Acetate with the Jazztone 208 I currently use, I found the differences to be quite interesting: Dugain is definitively smoother, darker and more powerful (thanks to the 4mm thickness) while the Jazztone is somehow highlighting the acoustic properties of the jazzbox, giving a kind of "woodier", more resonant tone but thinner than with the Dugain.

I've been using Dugain picks since the 80's, mostly the Ebony picks playing rock/pop/funk music, but with my archtop for jazz, I found them to be a little too clicky/ trebly. Futhermore, with roundwound strings, they tend to wear quickly and they're not cheap.

Dugain acetate is highly recommended but I still have to test the Delrin models which , according to JC Dugain has the warmest tone of the range....
    Last edited by mambosun; 05-29-2015 at 08:08 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree. Those 3mm stubbies are much brighter and more articulate.
    Compared with 3mm john pearce round tip.
    Somewhere in between might be perfect.....I agree the material does seem to make a difference.
    What are you using?

User Info Menu

I should have added the john pearce picks seem to drive the soundboard more. ..I feel force to take the strings a bit more....more attack.

User Info Menu

I find Golden Gates a bit clacky. I prefer Dunlap JazzTone 204 as the sweet spot of size, shape and dark thump. ProPlecs are interesting but I've never seen a 358 in the flesh to try out, and the big ones are way too huge.

But if you don't mind the big size the David Grisman Dawg picks are even darker.

User Info Menu

Big on the Golden Gates right now. I think they're darker and less clacky than the Jazztones.

I like the shape a little better than using the rounded end of a pro plec, but I'd be happy with either in a pinch.

User Info Menu

More long-dead thread revival.

User Info Menu

These are my absolute favorites nowadays:

User Info Menu

Taylor "Dark Tone" picks:
    Picks | Taylor Guitars
    They are like Pro Plecs but I prefer Taylors these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar Picks With a Dark Tone-tw-80770-thermexpropick-2020-jpg 

User Info Menu

dunlop felt pick...8011...the nick lucas...3.2mm

it's thought that charlie christian used felt picks....

cheers

User Info Menu

Dunlop Delrin 500 Primetone black 2mm.

They are 351 shape but I modified a couple to Jazz III shape.

Also, Dunlop 205/207

User Info Menu

I believe he used large triangle picks playing down strokes only with his middle, ring and little fingers anchored to the pick guard.
    Last edited by sicourtjon; 11-27-2023 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    D'Andrea pro plecs. Even darker than jazztones.

Found the dulop americana very clicky. Waste of money.
    Love the Pro Plecs!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    Love the Pro Plecs!
    I did too, until they started to warp. Other forum members posted about this a while ago, but I had no such problem and dismissed their warnings…..until it happened to me.

Apparently, they changed something in the way they make them - material, finish, or who knows what. I was still on an older bag when this started. But as soon as I started a fresh bag, I found myself playing the guitar with small potato chips.

I miss them, but I’m not wasting $ on any more until I know they’ve solved this (if they ever do). I’m happily using Dunlop 204s now and have a fresh bag of 24. They sound about the same to me as the Proplecs, and I got used to the thickness from using 207s for a while. The Taylor 1.5 Thermex 351s may be a closer substitute for Proplecs, and I want to try them.

This is the absolute best and lightest jazz pic I have ever used and it has no name. It makes every note come alive It is a beveled triangular pick 2.75mm thick and 32 mm long. I will try to put up a pic if I can't I will put up the pic as my profile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Hi

In my search for a warm dark tone I discovered the Dunlop Delrin 500 Prime Grip in 2mm size. I modified it to a 651 Jazz III shape. It works really well and plays and sounds nice.

User Info Menu

I generally haven’t cared for V Picks, finding them typically too bright, but the 1” completely round Gypsy pick is the exception to that. Even amplified, it brings out a nice acoustic nuance to my archtop. I haven’t cared for it as much with my solidbodies.