The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 81

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LyleGorch
    Gravity Gold Picks. Comes in 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 and 5.0.
    Which one do you like?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    pro pleks although I don't know if they are available in the jazz III size.
    The Pro Plecs come in the small teardrop size in the traditional shape (#358) but close to the Jazz III size- a bit smaller, actually. My current favorite pick but I want to try the Ultex Jazz IIIs.

User Info Menu

Blue Chips sound clicky, plus quite bright if you ask me. But they feel great and you have better control.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPMike
    Blue Chips sound clicky, plus quite bright if you ask me. But they feel great and you have better control.
    Interesting how we perceive things differently. Maybe due to a different picking technique? Or just a different shape or thickness? What shape/size/thickness is your BC (or the one(s) you tried)? Mine is the Jazz 50. I used to have the large triangle BC 40 (same size/shape as the Wegen TF), and it did not feel smooth and sound dark to me like the Jazz, even though it's the same material. Actually, based on my experience with that pick, I thought that I did not like BC picks until I tried the Jazz 50 (and immediately traded the large triangle for it).

EDIT to add:
    JPMike,

Actually, the Dawg may be the only large pick that don't sound clicky to me, at least when I am the one playing it. It is surely my technique. I played with my fingers most of my life, until progressively using picks more in the last 5 years. It's probably why I generally like small picks; the tip is closer to my fingers.
    Last edited by Eddie Lang; 05-16-2015 at 07:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    Interesting how we perceive things differently. Maybe due to a different picking technique? Or just a different shape or thickness? What shape/size/thickness is your BC (or the one(s) you tried)? Mine is the Jazz 50. I used to have the large triangle BC 40 (same size/shape as the Wegen TF), and it did not feel smooth and sound dark to me like the Jazz, even though it's the same material. Actually, based on my experience with that pick, I thought that I did not like BC picks until I tried the Jazz 50 (and immediately traded the large triangle for it).

EDIT to add:
    JPMike,

Actually, the Dawg may be the only large pick that don't sound clicky to me, at least when I am the one playing it. It is surely my technique. I played with my fingers most of my life, until progressively using picks more in the last 5 years. It's probably why I generally like small picks; the tip is closer to my fingers.
    Hey Eddie,

Technique, I guess it's the biggest role in sound. You can give the same guitar, pick, amp, settings to two people and sound completely different. Plus, none two humans have the same ears.

I rotate through a few picks with the main one being the D'Andrea Pro Plec, including Dunlop 207s and Fender Extra Heavies. I love the Pro Plec's sound, but the pick tends to move when I play and especially if things get sweaty. The 207s give me better grip,control and better accuracy but adds clickiness. I can live with it. The Fender XH is nice has a nice sound, it's balanced probably not the best pick but it serves it's purpose well when needed or not a Pro Plec or something else around. I prefer the white ones.

I got the Blue Chip TD 60, basically the same size as a Pro Plec and thickness. It feels the best from other picks of it's size. Great control, accuracy and speed. I didn't like the sound as much, I was expecting a nice as closer to the Pro Plec, in a jazz type setting.

When I tried it on a Strat type guitar with a boosted medium gain fusion-ish sound, it shined. So yeah, I found a use for it.

I might try some other picks too when I feel I want a change.

User Info Menu

Golden Gates get that dark tone for me.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Absolutely material matters....

Find what you like and fatten it up a bit......

User Info Menu

I would try either a 3.2mm John Pearse Fast Turtle or a Papa's. Both are casein which is a tortoise shell substitute. And they are what, $12? Most of the other picks mentioned are plastic and just don't have that dark, smooth attack on the strings.

User Info Menu

Gravity 4mm STS 4mm is very full sounding and the middle has a slight bit more heft than the other picks making it more grippable and comfortable and dark sounding. around $7.99

Dugain Acetate 4mm is another great pick very clean and on the dark side (Luke) around $15.00

User Info Menu

I use a standard Dunlop 2.0mm (Dark Purple)

Easy to find, great to play with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Gravity 4mm STS 4mm is very full sounding and the middle has a slight bit more heft than the other picks making it more grippable and comfortable and dark sounding. around $7.99
    Which one is the STS?

User Info Menu

Use your thumb

User Info Menu

For years I used expensive picks from Wegen, Red Bear and Blue Chip. I've been experimenting with smaller picks for some days now but have more or less settled on the Dunlop 500 line. I use the 0.96 mm for acoustic flat picking and the 1.5 - 2.0 mm for jazz on the archtop. Great picks, very cheap and available in every music store here in Sweden.
    The 1.5 and 2.0 mm have a smooth and dark tone.

Guitar Picks With a Dark Tone-preview-jpg

User Info Menu

The Dunlop Ultex is a great material. I sometimes use the ultex jazz iii, it's a little bigger than a red jazz iii. FWIW, Ultex in a thinner gauge really shines best strumming a flat top and light picking. I found this material to sound better than anything else I've ever tried on an acoustic; makes it sound like a different guitar.

Hi, thank you all for answering (:
    Is it matter what size pro plec to order? there a lot of sizes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dvirulu
    Hi, thank you all for answering (:
    Is it matter what size pro plec to order? there a lot of sizes...
    IMO, I'd choose the Pro Plec pick size and shape with which you are most familiar. They are all 1.5mm and the material is the same, AFAIK. I have several different shapes and the tone is the same. MF carries a variety of them and the are about $6.99 a dozen. I also like Clayton acetal picks and Cool juratex jazz picks (those 2 can be bought in smaller quantities from Elderly Instruments). They also produce a darker tone.
    Chuck

User Info Menu

Pro Plecs for me, along with any Dunlop Ultex - the Jazz III version I use for more solid body/Eric Johnson style playing, but I like the .73 for Benson-ish tones on heavy gauge flat wounds, and 1.0 and 1.14 for standard archtop playing. I've messed with several, and keep coming back to those particular 4 picks for most of my needs. Occasionally a .6 Tortex for acoustic strumming, and I do like the 2.0 Big Stubbies for archtop, but they are hard to do descending arpeggio sweeps with, as well as strumming... good exercise, though.

I think Ultex is my favorite material, overall. Don't really like the red or black Jazz III material, but the ultex version is great. Easier to grip, maybe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarthGoat
    For years I used expensive picks from Wegen, Red Bear and Blue Chip. I've been experimenting with smaller picks for some days now but have more or less settled on the Dunlop 500 line. I use the 0.96 mm for acoustic flat picking and the 1.5 - 2.0 mm for jazz on the archtop. Great picks, very cheap and available in every music store here in Sweden.
    The 1.5 and 2.0 mm have a smooth and dark tone.

Guitar Picks With a Dark Tone-preview-jpg
    I used these picks for about 20 years. Then I went to the Pro Plecs, first the Fender shape about 5 years ago and then the small teardrop shape for the past year or two. I've ordered some Ultex Jazz IIIs to try out- I like the shape and the feel but not the nylon material of the standard Jazz III.

I've tried dozens of picks- Dugains and Wegens of various materials, Big Stubbys, Delrins, casein, nylon, etc., etc. Most of them sound like poker chips and I hate that sound. The ultra thick picks just don't work for me. Wood, bone, metal didn't work for me. I am always amazed by what works for some folks but not for me (and perhaps vice versa).

User Info Menu

I like the sound I get from my Wegen Fatone 5mm pick. It is thick sounding and not excessively clicky once it has been worn in a little. I've had mine for 2 years now roughly.

User Info Menu

Based on some comments in this thread I bought some Gravity picks to try out. Arrived today and appear to be well sorted. I haven't used them yet but wanted to note that they are one of the most email communicative companies I've bought from. There are others I like as well (V-Pick comes to mind) but I was pleased with their purchase process.

User Info Menu

Post your thoughts on the Gravity picks, when you test them out....

Which did you end up purchasing... and mm ?

User Info Menu

So.. I bought some Gravity picks. A hand polished 2mm Striker acrylic and a 1.5mm Gold Series in Striker format. They threw in an extra 1.5mm Striker with the hole in it.

Picks are a very subjective topic. Some think a Blue Chip is bright but I find it nice but dark. Some think Ultrex is the end all and I tend to agree except when I want the nice acoustic zing an acrylic gives me. Some love Pro Plec's but to me they are terribly dull. So, we each have our own perspective. Guitar: Oval hole Wu archtop with a Sunrise pickup running .013 PB acoustic strings. That being said..

Acrylic picks are not dark. Not even a little. This should be no surprise. I played the Gravity acrylic against another acrylic, a Fast Turtle, an Ultrex, and a Blue Chip. In order of brightness: acrylics (tie), Ultrex, Blue Chip / Fast Turtle (tie). The Gravity 2mm acrylic was just about the same in all regards as the other 2mm acrylic I've been using which is one of the picks I use every day. The odd thing was, the Gravity didn't click. It should have, but it didn't. Now pick click isn't something I mind really much at all, but the Gravity had the acrylic acoustic brightness but no click. Sort of like an Ultrex with an acrylic sound. Maybe one sitting isn't enough even though I did several tries back to back with my other premium acrylic. Need more playing time, but the Gravity 2mm acrylic at $6 with a hand polish might be my new favorite pick for acoustic archtops.

The Gold Series really surprised me. It's a very 'articulate' pick. Not tinny like nylon or as bright as acrylic, but very clear. Hard to describe. It may be the best I've heard in this regard. For the price I thought it would be a Blue Chip copy but it isn't at all. To me, the Blue Chip is much darker. This thing is just.. clear. Unfortunately I bought the wrong size. I ordered a 1.5mm. I should have bought the 2.5mm.

This isn't a review. Nor does it have anything at all to do with dark picks. It's just one players (overly long) ramble. Still, I think I'm a new Gravity pick fan.
    Last edited by Spook410; 05-27-2015 at 08:10 PM.

User Info Menu

I just got a dozen Golden Gate picks .....I was influenced by Bobby Broom's sound.

Talk about thunk....

I love these babies, nice dark sound.....[note to OP]...are you sure you want really dark?
    Because for me, these are the darkest workable picks I've come across.
    It's mainly due to the shape I think ....like a Fender tri with the corners all rounded off.
    Nearest sound to playing with my thumb.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Spook410; 05-28-2015 at 02:11 AM.