Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 258

User Info Menu

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lawyer here. Think "procedure" and "merits."

Procedure: The first thing I would do is contact the UPS claims department, in writing, and tell them you want a copy of their shipping contract governing your transaction and any paperwork relating to dispute resolution of claims. This says to UPS "Huston, we have a problem!" Processing and defending insurance claims costs money and UPS wants to close files by settling. It should open up the dialog again.

Second, read the contract in the small print - this is VERY worthwhile. I sit down with a highlighter and search closely for any clauses concerning "jurisdiction" and "dispute resolution." Very often contracts have jurisdiction clauses so that the location of where the company has to go to defend a claim isn't far, usually in their backyard. Dispute resolutions clauses often require arbitration, a less expensive form of having a 3rd party decide your case. Often, state law requires the company to pay for arbitrators and that can get expensive.

Now to the merits:

Based on the facts you wrote above, you have to prove 5 "elements" to a judge or arbitrator. If 1 element is missing in your presentation, you fail to prove your case:

1) Contract. You had a contract (easy) with rights and duties on both sides;
    2) Duty. UPS had a duty under the contract to deliver the instruments safely (still easy);
    3) Breach. UPS breached their duty cause the instruments did not arrive safe (still easy);
    4) Causation. The breach by UPS caused the damage; and
    5) Damages. The dollar amount of your loss must be established.

Your toughest issue will be causation. UPS IS saying if they did breach, they did not cause the damage. Both guitar owners would need to testify to show that the damage occurred while the guitars were in the possession of UPS.

Another way of looking at it is a "bailment," ie "I gave you my guitar, you had a duty to take care of it, its damaged while in your possession, now pay me this amount of money."

Lastly, I love pursuing big companies and their insurers when they deny claims solely cause they can. Their hope is to be discouraging to people. That is what UPS is doing. However, they are not gods. Geez, how do you think I paid for my guitars?

Good luck!

Greg, I would be surprised if the duty and breach elements are that 'easy' under US contract law. In Europe, UPS would agree in their T&Cs to owe a certain care when executing a process, but does not commit that they 'deliver the instruments safely'. The way you put it, the causation test, which connects breach and damage, reads like this: the breach (="instrument did not arrive safely") caused the damage (="instrument is damaged"), which is a bit confusing.

Claims like this unfortunately commonly do require proof that UPS breached their duty of taking proper care in handling the parcel, which caused the damage. The standard of contractually owed care will, in this context, quite likely be derived from standard business practices of handling packages that do not contain fragile instruments, which makes proof of breach possibly difficult. If UPS had handled the parcel compliant with such standards, then they would not have breached their duty, and no liability would arise, despite the fact that the damage might have happened while the guitar was in their possession. Causation plays no role in this case. Conversely, if breach of duty to handle the parcel properly can be established, then causation issues may be relevant, as UPS could argue that the guitar was already damaged when they received the parcel, or that the damage might have happened even if they had handled the parcel properly (e.g. because the guitar was packaged faultily). All in all a rather unpleasant situation for the claimant.

Two more remarks:

In Europe, consumers can claim mandatory jurisdiction for small claims where they are a resident. Do you have a similar principle in the US?

In some parts of the world there may be a separate insurance contract with an insurance company that is distinct from UPS. Not sure how this is in the US, but if so, then the claim might needed to be brought against or include the insurer.

update: Extract from UPS's T&Cs

Clause 2: "To enable transit times to be kept short and transportation prices to be kept low as desired by the shipper, shipments will be transported as consolidated shipments. In selecting the type of carriage, the shipper accepts that in view of this mass carriage it is not possible to guarantee the same care as with individual carriage." This means a less strict duty of careful handling is owed. In practice, quite likely, with that we all accept UPS staff throwing around our parcels or load 100 parcels over them.

Clause 2: "The shipper should, taking into consideration the kind and value of his goods, select the transportation as a declared value package by declaring a value and paying the surcharge as stipulated in the UPS Service and Tariff Guide. Declared value packages will be transported with more security and control measurements." - was this a declared value transport? If so, claimant could ask for disclosure which specific additional security and control measures were put in place.

Clause 9: "Where the International Air Conventions or CMR or any national mandatory laws apply, the liability of UPS is governed by and will be limited according to the applicable rules." - if it happened on a flight, those limitations might be significant.

All of the above may be impacted by specific insuance T&Cs, if extra insurance has been taken out.
    Last edited by Phil in London; 05-09-2015 at 07:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Vinny,

Thanks for the kind words about my band, Hot Club Pacific. As you can see, I use my Vintage D'Angelico on gigs! Somehow, I think John D'Angelico approves, wherever he is...

Cheers,

Marc
    Just checked your band's televised performance of "Swing 42." Good stuff! Beautiful guitar you have there, and you sure know what to do with it. I've always loved Django's music--never fails to bring a smile to my face.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregErnstMusic
    Lawyer here. Think "procedure" and "merits."
    I enjoyed this explanation / presentation. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

User Info Menu

I do not think that UPS will be able to dodge a small claims Court jurisdiction if they have some fine print in their terms and conditions calling for jurisdiction to be in some County in Delaware (presuming that they are incorporated there). Such a clause is a "contract of adhesion" and is unenforceable.

Many unenforceable clauses are put in contracts, often with full knowledge of its unenforceability by the company who drafted the contract. The reason they leave these clauses in is that those who are ignorant of the law often give up their rights thinking that the clause is enforceable.

At this point Vinny should not discuss the particulars of his case here, as some UPS agent may find this thread and use any admissions against him.

If he properly serves UPS and the UPS Store that shipped the parcel, there is a good chance that they will settle this case with him. If they do not and Vinny presents his case well, he has a good chance of getting some relief from a small Claims judge.

I do not think that UPS will be able to dodge a small claims Court jurisdiction if they have some fine print in their terms and conditions calling for jurisdiction to be in some County in Delaware (presuming that they are incorporated there). Such a clause is a "contract of adhesion" and is unenforceable.
    Agree, same position here.

User Info Menu

Love to ya Vinny, good luck with those bums.

User Info Menu

These pictures hurt...ouch
    I feel for You, Joe and of course that nice TF (my dream guitar...)
    Best success with your claim!!

User Info Menu

Vinny: Not making light of your dilemma . . but, that has got to be one of the easiest head stock repairs I've ever seem. I'll go out on a limb here and say that even without a neck refin . . . it would barely be detectable. Having the entire neck refinished, the repair will be virtually undetectable, except under a black light inspection. While I'm sure you're not going the full route to achieve a perfect and undetectable repear for the purposes of hoping to sell it without full disclosure . . . the lack of having your own naked eye see it while you play it will be very comforting to you. In your mind, you'll still know it there, under the new finish. But, after a while, not only will you not notice it . . but you really won't care either. It'll become a non issue for a wonderful guitar.

You are right Patrick. I am anal so I need it to look perfect. Also their is a lacquer fracture from the 13th to the 17th fret so I am just going to get the whole neck refinished. The guitar is in brand condition otherwise.

User Info Menu

Those pics should have a "viewers of a sensitive nature, look away now" warning.

VinnyV, I'm sure Gibson will make a great job of the repair. If you decide to keep the guitar after the job is done, it might even make you more fond of the guitar. The headstock join will probably be stronger than it was before the repair.

A gigging instrument, maybe ?

User Info Menu

Just thinking about this,

Would it make sense, when shipping a guitar, that the "This Way Up" markings on the carton be marked so that the body/headstock direction is horizontal, parallel to the floor, rather than vertical.

User Info Menu

no, you want the guitar shipped vertically.
    someone slapping the box down horizontally is probably how it broke in the first place

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    no, you want the guitar shipped vertically.
    someone slapping the box down horizontally is probably how it broke in the first place
    While what you say is undoubtedly true . . I must believe that the crew packing the guitar in each different truck at each UPS facility transfer would be oblivious to any such signs and pack it in such a way that was conducive to taking as little space as possible.

I also use arrows, but each of the 4 arrows on each of the 4 side panels of the carton are pointed up towards the head stock . . indicating verticle. My hope is that those arrows, along with the fragile signs will at least cause the handlers to take precaution . . however they decide to pack it it in the truck. These days, that's all you can really hope for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    While what you say is undoubtedly true . . I must believe that the crew packing the guitar in each different truck at each UPS facility transfer would be oblivious to any such signs and pack it in such a way that was conducive to taking as little space as possible.
    That is why sending a guitar overnight is the safest method if it needs to be shipped at all. The number of transfers is minimized and no third-party contractors are involved.

Yes puby my poor little broken winged sparrow may very well make me love her even more after she comes back from the hospital. I am very thankful for all the incouraging words from everyone. I really do believe now that I must go to battle not just for me but for everyone here also.

All I can say is when it left my house the shipping box didn't have a mark on it. It came back to me looking like it returned from the front lines of WW11. The box seams are all taped together with red tape and the damage labels are all scuffed up with some of them peeling off. Also you can tell the cardboard got very wet at some point of it's journeys.

User Info Menu

Common carrier strict liability--at least in Calif.

I am admitted in NY, and not California, but a few minutes of research found the following provision:

Cal. Civil Code, Section 2194:

"Unless the consignor accompanies the freight and retains exclusive control thereof, an inland common carrier is liable for the loss or injury....from any cause except 1. inherent defect, 2. act of a public enemy, 3. act of the law, or 4. any "irresistible superhuman cause".

UPS is undoubtedly a common carrier. The consignor (person depositing the item with UPS) did not make the journey with the guitar, so this UPS exculpation is not available to them. The exceptions to strict liability do not apply: 1. Tal Farlow guitars are shipped everyday without incident--thus there is no inherent design defect, 2. there is no "public enemy" involved (neither ISIS nor any rapper was involved in this incident---this is a joke, folks), 3. there is no "act of the law"--no condemnation nor public seizure by a governmental official, nor 4. any "irresistible superhuman cause" ---neither Superman, nor Jor-El---his Kryptonite father, nor Johnny Smith (whose guitar playing I find to be not quite human) was involved here.

Now there is one fly in the ointment here. The Calif. statute may not apply--though the statute is designed to protect the recipients of items shipped to Calif., so this question is not so clearcut. UPS assuredly does plenty of business in California, so there is no question of exercising jurisdiction over them.

Even if the Calif. strict liability statute does not apply, the legal status of "bailee for hire" and "common carrier" is well-settled. I could not tell from this forum discussion where the shipment originated. I would not be surprised to find a similar strict liability statute in the state of shipping origin, as well. That should be looked into---if there is also strict liability in that state, then UPS will not be able to muddy the waters, legally, with a choice of law argument.

User Info Menu

At this point Vinny should not discuss the particulars of his case here, as some UPS agent may find this thread and use any admissions against him.
    Excellent advise for Vinny; everyone else (who isn't a lawyer) can help by not inquiring about or further commenting on the specific details of the shipment. I'm sure Vinny will update us when it's appropriate.

Thank you to the lawyers who have contributed, hopefully I will never need your research and advice but I bookmarked just in case.
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 05-10-2015 at 08:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    UPS is undoubtedly a common carrier. The consignor (person depositing the item with UPS) did not make the journey with the guitar, so this UPS exculpation is not available to them. The exceptions to strict liability do not apply: 1. Tal Farlow guitars are shipped everyday without incident--thus there is no inherent design defect, 2. there is no "public enemy" involved (neither ISIS nor any rapper was involved in this incident---this is a joke, folks), 3. there is no "act of the law"--no condemnation nor public seizure by a governmental official, nor 4. any "irresistible superhuman cause" ---neither Superman, nor Jor-El---his Kryptonite father, nor Johnny Smith (whose guitar playing I find to be not quite human) was involved here.
    LMFAO!!!!!!

That at added so much color to an otherwise black-and-white legal document!

User Info Menu

As someone whose been fortunate to ship over 100 guitars, I'd always recommend shipping 2 day air. It's basic air freight without the cost of overnight. If you create your own account at UPS or FedEX the charge for 2 day air will be $100 more than ground, without the pitfalls of ground freight. That's not to say air freight is excluded from issues too, but the odds of a failsafe delivery are more in your favor.

I feel very sorry for my brothers Vinny and Joe. I hope that this ends with a happy ending. Best wishes!

User Info Menu

Hey 2b, thank for the solid advice. If I ever ship a guitar again, I'll insist on 2day.
    thank you brother. Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Hey 2b, thank for the solid advice. If I ever ship a guitar again, I'll insist on 2day.
    thank you brother. Joe D
    Anytime. First step is to create your own account. Creating your account is free. Takes about 10 minutes to set up, and once you've been issued an ID you're ready to ship. The advantages of one having their own account is substantial savings on shipping charges. You ship a guitar a month, or once every few years, makes no matter. The mom and pop centers are in business so naturally using them your shipping costs are 2 and 3 times that of shipping yourself. One can generate their own shipping labels on line...takes less than 5 minutes to fill out and create the on-line shipping invoice. All one needs is a computer and a printer. I prefer FedEx over UPS...I began this shipping racket shipping used high end audio gear (read expensive) in the 90's, so naturally a few years ago when I migrated to archtops I chose to remain with the service that has always worked for me in the past. Your mileage may vary. Best wishes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    As someone whose been fortunate to ship over 100 guitars, I'd always recommend shipping 2 day air. It's basic air freight without the cost of overnight. If you create your own account at UPS or FedEX the charge for 2 day air will be $100 more than ground, without the pitfalls of ground freight. That's not to say air freight is excluded from issues too, but the odds of a failsafe delivery are more in your favor.

I feel very sorry for my brothers Vinny and Joe. I hope that this ends with a happy ending. Best wishes!
    As I've mentioned earlier, this has the added advantage of proper company staff handling your goods as opposed to third-party contractors handling them. Of course, overnight is still safer simply due to the reduced number of transits, but, naturally, that comes at a cost.