Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread

Can anyone identify this guitar model?

Here is a picture of one of my favorite guitarists, the great Joe Cohn. I love his guitar, but I can't seem to identify it completely. At first I thought it was a Byrdland because the pickup selector was on the bottom, but Byrdland bodies are thinner and have a shorter scale length. I'm thinking it's some sort of custom guitar, as it even says custom on the truss rod cover, as I have seen in closer picture of this guitar. Anyone know?

It might just be a custom guitar made for him.

Actually,y now I'm thinking it's an older gibson l5 ces like this one, because I think new l5 ces's don't have the cutaway. What do you think?

That's an early 60's L5 CES with the Florentine cutaway. I had a 61 Byrdland and it had the exact same cutaway. I had a 76 Byrdland and it had the familiar rounded Venetian cutaway. I'd love to get qhold of that instrument. It might still have the venerable old PAF pickups.

Cool, thanks for the info. I like the florentine cutaway, but I've noticed that new birdlands have a sort of sharper cutaway than this l5 ces. How was yours?

From the looks of it, my Byrdland had the sharper, more open cutaway. The tone on my Byrdland was great because it had 2 PAFs but the neck was a royal pain. The scale was 23 1/2 inches which was fine but the neck was too thin even for my small hands. It wasn't bad for the single line stuff, but for chord melody my fingers kept on getting in the way. I prefer a 24 3/4 scale with a neck width similar to an L5.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed