The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 157 of 157

User Info Menu

I also decided to try myself in jazz. But i want some decent guitar. My guitar is a rock and metal machine
    I think I will buy some hollow body and can you suggest something?
    Never played a hollow body so I don't know anything about them.
    I came across this list but don't know which to choose. Also, don't want to spend too much money.
    Hollow Bodies for Souls Rich with Jazz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Let's narrow this down. Who are some jazz guitarists whose tones you like? Jim Hall sounds very different from John Scofield from Pat Metheny from Ed Bickert from Barney Kessel.

You can play jazz on any rig, however, emphasizing a clean, warm tone And using the neck pickup and picking near the end of the fretboard. It may not look traditional if you've got a Marshall stack and a pointy shredder guitar. However, I also understand the inspiration that can come from new gear.

As for that list, well, those would not be my choices generally except the Ibanez LGB although that's a matter of quirk not the value or quality of the instruments on the list. If you have a Tele or a Strat, you're off to a good start with something you already have. See the "Telecaster love" thread and the "Strat vs. Tele" thread. I use both and both sound great for jazz, have gigged many times with them as well as with my 17" carved archtop and my Ibanez GB10. Ditto something along the ES-335 line. Lots of great jazz played on instruments like that. If you want to go with a classic look and sound, pick up an Epiphone ES-175 Premium- about 90% of a Gibson ES-175 at 1/4 of the price (although the Ibanez will get you in that ballpark).

User Info Menu

Great jazz has been played on all kinds of guitars.

Hollow bodies are classic, but lots of highly regarded jazz players don't use them. It really depends on the music you're trying to make.

To be clear, I think that hollow bodies were used for some of the best jazz tones I've ever heard, but are not at all a requirement. And, in fact, can be a disadvantage for some music.

User Info Menu

Hello everyone! I started this thread a long time ago and I didnt notice that it has many comments now... good to know! Btw, I still have the Ibanez Artcore AF75... cheers!

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bebop kid
    Hello everyone! I started this thread a long time ago and I didnt notice that it has many comments now... good to know! Btw, I still have the Ibanez Artcore AF75... cheers!

I had one of those - loved that little beauty! My wife commented out of the blue one day after I'd had it for about a month - "Your playing has really improved since you got that guitar!" I thought that was nice of her.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I had one of those - loved that little beauty! My wife commented out of the blue one day after I'd had it for about a month - "Your playing has really improved since you got that guitar!" I thought that was nice of her.
    @citizenk74 spot on! Your lucky you have a wife like that ;D

Heres my AF75....

User Info Menu

I don't like the Super 58s. They sound a bit harsh. Also the wiring(pots and caps) is not the highest quality on those guitars. I replaced the pickups and put in a vintage wiring harness with 500k pots. It was a huge improvement. Lollar CC neck pickup is light years better than a Super 58. JMHO.