The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

I own a c.2008 Vox Virage (white, as pictured), unfortunately out-of-production for quite some time now. It's a fantastic guitar that I mostly assign to more of a Robben Ford/Larry Carlton direction, and I find that it really gets me there. I once saw John Abercrombie playing it for the entirety of a two hour gig down in Woodstock, NY, back in 2011, so there's that sort of tonality in it as well. (I generally will use my jazz box archtops for more "mainstream" jazz tones, but I'm pretty sure the Virage would more than suffice there, too.) IMO, the Virage most definitely *IS* quite a unique take on a semi-hollow design, amongst several other uniquely original design incorporations such as the curve of the body (Virage meaning curve in French). Click this older MF link to read about the features...

Vox Virage Double-Cut Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Unfortunately, this higher-priced initial offering by "amp" company Vox never really ended up taking off, so good luck on finding one of these, the double-cuts especially. Simultaneously released, there was also a single-cutaway model (Abercrombie's was red) and, in my experience, those are probably more easily found.

Semi-hollow guitar without full block?-vox-virage-dc-c-2008-2-jpg

Semi-hollow guitar without full block?-vox-virage-dc-c-2008-inside-jpg

Semi-hollow guitar without full block?-vox-virage-dc-c-2008-curve-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do not understand clearly the inside picture. Is that layer exactly in that form inside in the body as it pictured, and a *plus* back is added to the final instrument to get its outer visual form?

User Info Menu

Holst semi hollow: $4000 USD

"My semi-hollow guitar is a small bodied archtop with parallel bracing that extends through its body and couples with its back. The result is a much improved acoustic tone over solid core thinline guitars while still retaining a strong resistance to feedback through an amplifier. Spruce topped versions of this guitar often weigh only 5lbs. "

luthier stephen holst semi hollow guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I do not understand clearly the inside picture. Is that layer exactly in that form inside in the body as it pictured, and a *plus* back is added to the final instrument to get its outer visual form?
    Speaking of the Vox Virage... yes.