The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 77

User Info Menu

About one month ago, I came across a "used" Comins GCS-1 for a very fair price on reverb.com and took the plunge. I had wanted to try one of these for some time given the dimensions. I mean, to me, it's basically a solid body profile that looks and sounds (and was designed with) the sensibility of a proper jazz instrument. I was a little anxious about the price so I held off until this used one hit me.

Anyway, I was immediately blown away by the tone. I really didn't expect much because other than the very fine recordings on youtube from SoundPure, there's truly very little info out there. I'm also aware that SoundPure uses really high end amps/recording gear/etc so it's tough to replicate that at home. I was worried about the neck profile as well, as I prefer fairly slim profiles and there was no info out there.

Anyway, I can say without a doubt, that the Comins GCS-1 fits like a glove. This darn GCS guitar sounds so nice, the neck is so nice, the profile/string spacing/everything is just so thoughtful. It's truly a beautiful instrument. Mine (despite being sold as used) came with the plastic on the pickguard so for all I know, it was brand new.

Comins GCS-1 Quick Review & Feedback-com-gcs1vb_750_1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of getting a used one as well. What's a good deal on a used comins? Congrats and enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the purchase. I've had mine for a while and still love it. I cannot see anyone purchasing a 335 while this guitar is an option. My only problem is I do not own a second one. Always switching between light strings for my rock gigs to flat wound heavy for Jazz. It is really great for both genres.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Silentwicz. I hope it is not a slight on the Comins GCS-1 to say that it looks like something that Gibson would have made.

User Info Menu

Not to bash Gibson, the quality in terms of finish and setup exceeds anything I've seen from Gibson in thier regular stock. Not sure if Bill is doing QC and final setup on each one, these days, but they really feel much more expensive than they are. Also, the split on the pickup offer a great variety in tone options. I wish he would extend this line with other body types. He obviously knows how to setup shop.
    Last edited by rickshapiro; 03-20-2015 at 05:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Always thought Commins are made in the US... at least this model-serie is made in Korea!
    Anyway: beautiful looking guitar, nice demo ("Driftin´" by Herbie Hancock).
    Last edited by lapideusvir; 03-20-2015 at 07:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been wondering what kind of "semi" structure those have. Is it a block running the length like a 335? Or more like a PRS Hollowbody or the Comins D'Angelico, with a little top-to-back connecting block under the bridge?
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-20-2015 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

I have one and love it as well, bought new from SoundPure. Bill is very responsive on Facebook. A great guy. I asked some time ago if he intends to expand the GCS line, and he said he was working on a full hollow body version. I hope that's still the case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    I'm thinking of getting a used one as well. What's a good deal on a used comins? Congrats and enjoy!
    I have a Comins natural w/spruce top and ebony board I am thinking of selling (recently acquired a Collings I35LC Deluxe). An easy to play and great sounding instrument for bop, smooth jazz or blues/rock. All the above comments are spot on...a very underrated contender.
    Last edited by Eric Rowland; 03-20-2015 at 05:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've been wondering what kind of "semi" structure those have. Is it a block running the length like a 335? Or more like a PRS Hollowbody or the Comins D'Angelico, with a little top-to-back connecting block under the bridge?
    Still trying to find out.

User Info Menu

I found a used gcs1es in natural for a descent price. The pickups have been changed tho to Peter Florance humbuckers and the coil tap function is no longer an option. How useful do you guys find the coil tap function and would you say the lack of it should be a deal killer? I'm assuming you need a pickup designed for splitting and perhaps the florance pickups don't have the wiring for it.

User Info Menu

I've had mine for around 2 years and really love it. Very comfortable to play, awesome tone plugged in (Sounds great through all my amps: Egnater TOL, Polytone MBII, Henriksen Jazzamp) , decent unplugged. Good for practicing without an amp.

It's definitely great for what it is, but personally I would like it even more if I could get a bit more acoustic response out of it. Perhaps chambering the center block (Assuming it's solid?) and increasing the body depth by a bit could achieve this. However, then you'd start getting a different guitar...so, with that in mind, the talks of Bill looking into creating a fully hollow GCS sounds very intriguing.

I've heard from others that bought new that the guitar was perfectly set up straight out of the box with no issues. Unfortunately, this wasn't quite the case for me as I had to spend a bit of time making some intonation tweaks, etc. Not sure what happened as I understand Bill inspects all the guitars before they go out, but it wasn't a big deal. Sounds and plays great now. Fretwork was really great too, but I've played the damn thing so much I'm already starting to think about getting a refret Will probably go with ss frets when that happens so I can play it even more and not feel bad about it!

Again, great guitar overall, and the price makes it that much better; new or used.

Also, Yotam Silberstein has been rocking a blonde GCS these days. He's playing it in a majority of his YT videos that are popping up lately.

User Info Menu

Thanks for turning me on to Yotam Silberstein. He's a wonderful player who is more "fun" to listen to than others. Apparently, there are some heavy cats coming out if Israel.

User Info Menu

I found a used gcs1es in natural for a descent price. The pickups have been changed tho to Peter Florance humbuckers and the coil tap function is no longer an option. How useful do you guys find the coil tap function and would you say the lack of it should be a deal killer? I'm assuming you need a pickup designed for splitting and perhaps the florance pickups don't have the wiring for it.

I think the coil tap is definitely a nice touch and could be useful to some people (I'm not a fan of it for a straight ahead sound, but maybe a funk/rock setting) but by no means would be a deal breaker for me.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the reply,I'm still on the fence and might need a push!
    the Florance voodoos are apparently great and Bill Comins uses them in his lyricist model so I think they could be great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Does this help? I like mine. My only complaint is the weight.

The GCS-1 is a solidly built semi-hollow guitar designed for musicians looking for a well-made practical and roadworthy musical instrument. Inherently versatile, it can produce a myriad of tonalities suitable for blues, rock, country, and jazz playing. It adorns a laminated flame Maple top with a laminated Sapele back, and the sides/internal block structure are routed from a solid wood core. This design yields a balanced and even articulation with enhanced sustain characteristics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    Does this help? I like mine. My only complaint is the weight.

The GCS-1 is a solidly built semi-hollow guitar designed for musicians looking for a well-made practical and roadworthy musical instrument. Inherently versatile, it can produce a myriad of tonalities suitable for blues, rock, country, and jazz playing. It adorns a laminated flame Maple top with a laminated Sapele back, and the sides/internal block structure are routed from a solid wood core. This design yields a balanced and even articulation with enhanced sustain characteristics.
    Ah, so it is more like a PRS HB or Carvin SH, where the "hollow" part is routed out. (Which is sort of a disgusting practice from an eco pov.)

Comins GCS-1 Quick Review & Feedback-prs_hb8-jpg

But the question remains, on the Comins, how big / what shape is the block?

User Info Menu

Consider emailing Bill Comins. I have found him to be open and helpful when I have a question.

Home | Comins Guitars

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the reply,I'm still on the fence and might need a push!
    the Florance voodoos are apparently great and Bill Comins uses them in his lyricist model so I think they could be great.
    Here's the push! Do it. Peter Florance Voodoo 59s were the IT GIRL a while ago with the LP PAF crowd. And the Florance Voodoos remain very nice pickups today. They're $350 a pair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    Consider emailing Bill Comins. I have found him to be open and helpful when I have a question.

Home | Comins Guitars
    Bill is traveling and will return after Mar 5th. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from him until after that.

User Info Menu

I've got a natural spruce top model heading my way. It'll be interesting to hear it with the Florance voodoo pickups, tho I'll still want to hear one with the Armstrong pickups at some point to compare

I just purchased a GCS-1 yesterday. Tangerine Burst, with a maple top and rosewood fretboard. It is an amazing instrument. Very resonant sound, with a clear acoustic voice - it really sings and sustains. It is very light weight for a semi hollow. As far as the Armstrong pups - they are great. Articulate and clean, fantastic tone. The neck pickup is wonderful, not muddy like some buckers. The bridge pickup is fantastic as well. I'm very pleased with the pickups and I have no plans on changing them. This is without a doubt the best guitar I have ever owned.

User Info Menu

Congrats, sounds like the same setup and color as mine. It is a fine instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by r3son8trbluz
    I just purchased a GCS-1 yesterday. Tangerine Burst, with a maple top and rosewood fretboard. It is an amazing instrument. Very resonant sound, with a clear acoustic voice - it really sings and sustains. It is very light weight for a semi hollow. As far as the Armstrong pups - they are great. Articulate and clean, fantastic tone. The neck pickup is wonderful, not muddy like some buckers. The bridge pickup is fantastic as well. I'm very pleased with the pickups and I have no plans on changing them. This is without a doubt the best guitar I have ever owned.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the purchase! Did you buy it new or used? I just bought a gcs1es in natural. I'm pretty over the moon about it. Mine is serial number one, at least of the es series, no significance but kinda interesting. The pickups were changed to Peter Florance voodoo 59s. I absolutely love them. No coil tapping option tho. Very articulate and the bridge pickup is slightly overwound and just sings. Best grand I've ever spent. The natural finish is awesome and love the the look of the spruce top. I'm hoping these keep flying under the radar so I can snag another one so I can have one with flat wounds and one with rounds. If he ever builds the fully hollow version that I would be interesting to have set up with flats

I purchased mine new from Golden Age Fretted Instruments.