The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznero
    Hi to all. How are you? I bought an pre owned GCS 1 ES and I wonder if you can recommend me a good quality and lighter gig bag/softcase and model for it. Reunion Blues? Mono?

Thanks!
    I called Mono and they knew about the GCS-1. I got an M80. It's great. The only thing I would point out is that if you don't clip the string ends adequately at the tuners, they will chew up the fabric on the inside of the bag.

I was apprehensive about not having a hard shell case -- I'd never had a soft case before. But, there really is almost nothing to worry about. The shoulder straps alone are worth the changeover from hard shell. Frees both hands for the rest of my gear and everything is now one trip. Faster, easier and I don't have to leave my equipment exposed to theft.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I called Mono and they knew about the GCS-1. I got an M80. It's great. The only thing I would point out is that if you don't clip the string ends adequately at the tuners, they will chew up the fabric on the inside of the bag.

I was apprehensive about not having a hard shell case -- I'd never had a soft case before. But, there really is almost nothing to worry about. The shoulder straps alone are worth the changeover from hard shell. Frees both hands for the rest of my gear and everything is now one trip. Faster, easier and I don't have to leave my equipment exposed to theft.
    I have a Mono 80 that I originally got for an acoustic guitar that I sold, and which I now use for the archtop I just got (which, alas, came with a hard case). It's great (much better than the old Lifton case that acoustic guitar came with that's worth a small fortune). I have soft cases for all my other guitars, and haven't used a hard case in something north of 15 years. Modern reinforced gig bags are better than most hardshell cases in every way, and whenever possible I've bought guitars without a hard case.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 12-19-2020 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks John A. for the answer. What model is yours? The M80 sleeve, the M80 "normal" or the M80 vertigo?

Thank you very much!!

User Info Menu

Thanks John A. for the answer. What model is yours? The M80 sleeve, the M80 "normal" or the M80 vertigo?

Thank you very much!!
    It's the normal one, dreadnought size.

John

User Info Menu

Hi John,

Is It the dreadnough one too Big for the gcs-1-es? I have the 1-es not the 16-1 from comins.. It Will fit an ordinary jazz box like an Es-175 right?

User Info Menu

Hi John,

Is It the dreadnough one too Big for the gcs-1-es? I have the 1-es not the 16-1 from comins.. It Will fit an ordinary jazz box like an Es-175 right?
    Yes, the dread size is for full depth guitars. But I used mine with my D'Angelico EX DC (ES 335 sized guitar), and with the neck strapped to the support it didn't move around in the case as far as I could tell. The padding fits the sides of it fairly snugly. I now have Reunion Blues Continental semi-hollow size for that guitar, which is an exact fit.

Maybe rpjazzguitar can chime in with which size Mono he uses with his Comins?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Yes, the dread size is for full depth guitars. But I used mine with my D'Angelico EX DC (ES 335 sized guitar), and with the neck strapped to the support it didn't move around in the case as far as I could tell. The padding fits the sides of it fairly snugly. I now have Reunion Blues Continental semi-hollow size for that guitar, which is an exact fit.

Maybe rpjazzguitar can chime in with which size Mono he uses with his Comins?

John
    Mine says M80EG. And below that, "electric guitar".

User Info Menu

Thank you very much!!!

User Info Menu

Hi to all. How are you? I bought an pre owned GCS 1 ES and I wonder if you can recommend me a good quality and lighter gig bag/softcase and model for it. Reunion Blues? Mono?

Thanks!
    I use the Mono M80. Mono verified that it works with the GCS-1. It has been great. Be sure to trim the string ends past the tuners or they will cut up the bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    It seems like the one I have really loves .13s I never had a guitar play so well with flat .13s
    actually I never really used flats before, i am trying to get mine working well with .12 rounds for versatility and to ease the tension a bit... i haven't finished adjusting it yet, but i can't imagine it wouldn't be great with .11s either... I may take it to a luthier, because I want to stick some Seth Lovers in it... I never use the split coils, and i love SL in a hollow guitar
    Hi Patshep!

Did you finally put the Seth Lovers in the GCS1? If so, can you compare them with the Florance Voodoo you used to have?

Still using flats? What gauge?

User Info Menu

A couple of updates after a lot of use of the GCS-1.

Because of issues with my hands, I string it with 11-42. Plain 3rd.

This gives it a slightly softer feel.

Tuning stability, never a strong point (although not terrible), is no worse. I think the strings bind at the nut and bridge. Hooking a finger underneath the strings and pulling upward improves the accuracy. Nut sauce didn't solve the problem. Next time I have to take it in for anything I'll have a luthier go over it.

Sounds fine to me -- I have multiple clips posted on the jam thread under Improvisation on this forum.

The coil split option also sounds pretty good.

Overall, I'm happy with the guitar -- and will be a smidge happier when I solve the tuning issue.

User Info Menu

Binding at the nut and/or bridge with a .011 set would seem somewhat unusual, especially if it has had bigger strings on it. One possibility is that the slots are rough, not smooth and polished as they should be. Burrs at the edge is also possible, but not as likely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Binding at the nut and/or bridge with a .011 set would seem somewhat unusual, especially if it has had bigger strings on it. One possibility is that the slots are rough, not smooth and polished as they should be. Burrs at the edge is also possible, but not as likely.
    It came with an 11 E string. I didn't downsize that string, but I did downsize the rest. So, I think you're right. I tried gently polishing them, but I think I was too timid. I'll get an expert rather than risk messing it up.

User Info Menu

I picked up one of these used a few weeks ago. The playability is excellent and the tone sounds great, although perhaps a bit on the bright side. The frets and neck are better than any guitar I've had (mostly American Fenders, Gibsons and Martins).

However, I can't get the intonation right. Octaves on the G especially are flat, despite having the bridge saddle moved as far forward as possible. It is starting to irritate me to the point that I'm considering getting rid of it.

User Info Menu

Mine intonates perfectly. The G saddle is about 3/4 of the way towards the tailpiece.

On yours, are the other string saddles about where they should be, or are they all near their limits?

First thing is to try a different string, if you haven't already done that.

If the other saddles are in the usual spots, and a new string doesn't help, I'm stumped.

One thing I do know is that Bill Comins answers his email and has great customer service.

User Info Menu

The top few strings are at or near the limit. Using Thomastik Swing 12s.

User Info Menu

Mine came, perfectly adjusted, bought new, with 11s. The saddles were sort of in the middle. Usual pattern for a plain 3rd. rd

I use lighter strings now, with the most extreme saddle being the 3rd, but toward the tailpiece. Opposite from yours. If the strings are really old, I'd put on new ones before doing anything else. Old strings really can go flat that way.

There are real experts on this forum, who, hopefully, will chime in. I don't number myself among them, although I know how to do some basic things.

If new strings didn't help, what I would do is a basic setup (I use the basic instructions on the Fender website, but there are lots of videos on youtube).

That involves a new set of strings. Then, various checks on the neck and strings. May involve truss rod, bridge height and saddle adjustments. Requires a set of feeler gauges and a metal ruler with 64ths or mm, available at any hardware store for less than $20.

My guess is that there's something wrong with the neck or its adjustment. So, I'd be careful with the truss rod, which, in my case, means I wouldn't touch it and I'd take it to a luthier.

User Info Menu

Thank you. I am pretty comfortable doing setups and will give it some more attention to hopefully figure out the issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diode
    I picked up one of these used a few weeks ago. The playability is excellent and the tone sounds great, although perhaps a bit on the bright side. The frets and neck are better than any guitar I've had (mostly American Fenders, Gibsons and Martins).

However, I can't get the intonation right. Octaves on the G especially are flat, despite having the bridge saddle moved as far forward as possible. It is starting to irritate me to the point that I'm considering getting rid of it.

User Info Menu

I love my GCS-1. Very versatile guitar and the tuning has been very stable since I got it a few years ago. Zero intonation issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Smashies
    Has anyone had a chance to A/B a Comins GCS-1 with a D'Angelico EX-SS? If not A/B back-to-back, has anyone at least tried both, regardless of time between trying each?

Hi. I've owned the exact 'Tangerineburst' GCS-1ES guitar used in the SoundPure video at the start of this thread since 2012. (I bought it, minty used, from a SoundPure customer back then, matched the serial number—when the guitar's page was still up to check—and it turned out it was this same exact guitar. Cool, eh? lol)

My very short take on the GCS-1ES: As stock, there were phenomenal tones aplenty, with lots of clear, articulate sustain, very even across and up the neck. The single-coil mode was good, too. Zero need to 'upgrade' the fine KA pickups, IMO. Great neck, too (although I do tend to adapt almost immediately when swapping guitars). Currently, I have it professionally set up with Chrome 12s, nut and bridge radius adjusted, etc., specifically as a jazz guitar, and it has, IMO, a superbly full, warm tone with clear, immediate attack. I absolutely love it! Try one if you ever get the chance.

(I also just wanted to add that, IMHO, for fusion or rock use, these guitars would also be really versatile. Before putting the Chrome 12s on for jazzin' out, I was, at first, rockin' out with 10s and I was still getting a superb, warm, singing sustain—think 'Cliffs of Dover' Eric Johnson [originally recorded with his ES-335 from what I've repeatedly read]. Played it that way for quite a while, too, until I eventually decided one day that it was SO articulate I'd rather have it as a more functionally gig-able [i.e., non-feedbacking] jazz guitar. "OMG... This is a 'super' guitar... " kept running through my head!)

Then, about two years ago, I became intrigued with the D'Angelico EX-SS after watching some rather 'modern-sounding' jazz videos. After some patient searching, I found a 'blem' at MF for a phenomenal price and bought it. It was a beautiful, all black model with white binding details (rather looking like a 'stealth grand piano' in appearance and vibe, IMO). However, in playing the guitar, it somehow just felt a bit off to me (yeah, and I'm one who tends to adapt really easily, right?!). Maybe a pro setup might've helped, got me. It was then that I thought to look a bit carefully into the specs. (a late lesson learned there!) Turns out that it has a 16" radius and a 25" scale. Now normally, a 25" scale would mean nothing at all to a PRS player such as myself, but I did find that the16" radius seemed to be quite flat for my liking. Yeah, it bothered me, surprising to admit, even to myself. I also thought that the overall tonal quality seemed a bit, er, flat somehow, too, and it was definitely something I would want to be thinking about a pickup replacement sooner than later. (I'm generally not someone to swap stock pickups, so...)

Anyway, after a few days playing it, not really digging it all that much, I also somehow discovered that the cool black stair-step tailpiece had actually been mounted very poorly, actually canting upwards on the bass side by almost 1/8", with the screws therefore not even placed parallel to the binding! (It was quite noticeably off once you looked for it). Wha?! So... D-A's quality control here was... meh at best. IIRC, there were also a few other slighter cosmetic issues I'd be able to ignore (some binding bleed), but in the end, that tailpiece issue was understandably really nagging at me and became a great excuse to return an otherwise lovely-looking guitar. So I did, and I don't miss it. (I also pretty much never send new things back, so...)

Sorry for this late reply, hope it'll still be of help to somebody.
    Last edited by ooglybong; 11-11-2021 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I've just returned from a "test drive" of a GCS 1, maple top, rosewood fingerboard in violin burst.....From a Comins authorized/specialized seller . I was alone in the store so no disturbance at all. Through my fender mustang micro headphone amp "clean amp"...

It's a nice looking guitar and lighter than I thought it would be....

YMMV. this is my very personal review of the one instrument I could get my hands on....

Pros : the tuners are great and have a nice feel.....the knobs too...the finishing is impeccable as is the colour . I did like the hum free coil split (last user left it like that I guess) although not a feature I normally would reach for....the tweed case looked nice.

Cons: The neck! thick/fat and wide whatever you want to call it.. and all glossy, . The action was too high and the stock strings were too small (plain "G" ) and not "Flats" I thought these were aimed at the Jazzers??! Could not keep in tune ..tuned it with the strobe open string..fine, 5-7 frets up the neck and it's off a tad, worse at 12th fret and beyond . At this point I gave up checking the intonation which should have left Bill's shop in perfect playable shape. Strings tone was very uneven! The tone pots (only tried the neck pup tone ) had very uneven tapers ..no treble to too much treble in barely a turn on the knob, there was no subtlety there...A weird thing for me also: when you are holding it in playing position you can see the block of bare wood in the top F hole....like I said weird and uninspiring... It did not sound special or anything.. I had to work a lot to get a decent tone let alone a jazz one ! I donT have to do this with any of my d'Angelicos or even my Schecter solo II on my mustang micro clean amp....The price !

I've not tried the GCS 16 which (dealer did not have any on hand) should be a better choice but still more expensive... and I'm done with fat large guitars, they just kill my back,shoulders and neck.

I so wanted to 'love" this GCS-1. and just play but nope, it's not for me.

Ray

User Info Menu

Myself and a few others here own the GCS 16-1 and I know I'm really happy with mine. If I play gigs again it will be my go to for jazz.
    If your interested in the GCS 16-1, fyi, it's going up $200 to $2399 this June.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    fyi, it's going up $200 to $2399 this June.
    I know.. hence why I wanted to move on the GCS 1....a rare bird in these parts....and for the 16 that translates to $2999 cdn a lot of $$$$$
    I'm glad you like the 16..

Ray
    Last edited by RayS; 04-22-2022 at 06:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    I had to resurrect this thread, I got a blonde model used a couple months ago, and it is a very fine instrument, I used to have the voodoo pickups in a former guitar and they are great... I also ended up with an Ibanez AS180 around the same time, and it's also killer, I really should get rid of one or the other, but I put .12s on the comins and .10s on the Ibanez so one is more for jazz and the other is more rock... the comins is built very very well and has great tone, the ibanez may have a bit more mojo for me... but for the prices used i feel like i did good!!!
    I know this is several years old by now, but what did you end up doing? I've been considering getting an Ibanez AS or AM (I had one in the past, but somewhat regrettably sold it), but the Comins recently came onto my radar. Which did you prefer between the two? I love the neck on the Ibanez AS/AM line (as they have some thickness to them), where it sounds like the Comins has a pretty thin neck.