The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I'm sure many (maybe even most) of you don't use a delay pedal in your rig.

But if you do, I'm curious as to how you use it, i.e. single note leads and/or comping, etc. and also how your delay fits into your signal chain.

And finally if you have preference for analog or digital delay.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Me too. This seems a bit of an arcane art....

User Info Menu

When I put on a wig and tell myself I'm Pat Metheny.

When in school the "I want to be Pat" was in full force and everyone was using delay and T.C. chorus/flanger pedals. I guess I still have some wannabe Pat in me because that is the only time I pull out my old pedals. I have my old Boss DD-3 and T.C. Chorus/Flanger pedal.
    Last edited by docbop; 03-10-2015 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I (technically) don't know the differences between "echo" and "delay," but I've been told there are some ... I, personally, like a little delay, but as an "effect," so I don't use it all the time. I got mine from a "boutique" guy who no longer builds, and it's analog. I've been eyeing some stereo echos by Neunaber and Strymon ...

User Info Menu

Delay and echo are often talked about interchangeably and they are pretty much the same thing. But talking from a production point of view echo is a less precise effect that may not necessarily be perfectly timed in terms of rhythm. Check out Eddie Van Halen's stuff -- he just set his Echoplex to where it sounded good and the repeats are all a bit of wash. Echo is probably closer to being a reverb in terms of the diffusion. A true delay effect is set rhythmically like a dotted eight note effect. Delayed speaker stacks are used at big concerts in a pretty mathematical way, so that the speakers at the front and back of a big venue are producing sound at the same time -- rather than creating a big phased-out mess for people listening at the back. A slapback which was traditionally one repeat is often described as an echo though and that can sound rhythmic. So there is definitely blurring of meaning. Reverb, delay and echo are all time based effects and they kind of cross over a bit. Reverb has a pre-delay effect (the initial reflection) to mimic the characteristics of a particular space -- a feature delays don't have.

If you want a pretty cool sounding delay check out the Boss RE-20. It's big but not as big as the old Space Echo tape machine it emulates. It has tap tempo too which is sweet.
    Last edited by wildschwein; 03-11-2015 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

i love delay !!!
    i have a Eventime timefactor....

I used to play with analog delay,,, but Timefactor is amazing.... with a lot of memory. Very useful if you like...trippy sounds

Check Kreisberg .... pat Metheny,,, Mail stern,,,,etc,,,

User Info Menu

I have a Boss analog delay that I used as an almost-reverb with my reverb-less amps in the days before there were actual reverb pedals available. When the RV-2 came out, I pretty much stopped using the delay pedal. These days I pull it out occasionally, usually for a little slapback. But I find it adds some coloration to the sound that I get tired of, and I usually wind up turning it off. When recording, I sometimes use the DD plugins to thicken things up a bit, or for slapback.

John

User Info Menu

When I do standards and stuff, I keep my signal pretty dry--but when I'm doing my own thing, I love some reverb and very subtle delay. Low repeats, low in the mix, I want it to add an ambient tail to long notes/chords but not clutter things up if I play a bit faster. I have an old pink Ibanez analog delay that I bought when I was probably 18. Still works great.

User Info Menu

I'm not a true jazz player - yet. Taking lessons, so it's work in progress. For jazz lessons and practice, I'm usually playing unplugged or straight into an amp.

In my other playing, it's reverb and delay on all the time. Both beautiful, neither one exactly subs for the other. To my taste, they are so beautiful together. What works for me is very subtle delay, repeats minimized, mix low. Not every pedal will do that. When set just right, it feels and sounds more like an expansion of the sound rather than repeats. An "envelope" of sound. Which is part of why tape delays are so revered. Between the warmth of the preamp and tape saturation, it's a feel as much as the sound of echo.

Had and loved an RE-201 space echo for years. Not practical. Tried many pedals. The two that work best for me are the Skreddy Echo and TC Electronics V2, on the space echo setting. I always expected to like analog pedals better, but not so. My favorites are all digital. The V2 does a great job of reproducing space echo type of sound, minus tape saturation, and can be set for very low repeats/mix. The Skreddy echo was not designed to produce tape echo sound, but somehow (in it's warmth) comes as close to real tape as any pedal I've heard.
    MD
    Last edited by mad dog; 03-10-2015 at 12:05 PM.

User Info Menu

When I'm playing straight jazz, I just use a reverb pedal. But I have been toying with the idea of a very small (3-4 pedals) pedalboard for less straight jazz numbers in the same band. I've been thinking of trying a delay that I already have and LOVE for the rock stuff I do, which is the Catalinbread Belle Epoch. I highly recommend checking one out: Catalinbread: Belle Epoch - Tape Echo

User Info Menu

i've never liked analog delay. It adds a grainy artifact to the signal unlike the natural sounding decay and slight overdrive you get from tape...

A low mix of digital delay at 400(ish)ms with minimal repeats is nice for a more modern, pat metheny type of sound.

I've got a wampler faux tape echo I'm no longer using since I got my kemper if anyone's interested.

User Info Menu

I've found that a little slapback echo works really well for both comping and solos. I use about 200ms and balance its level with the reverb: too much slap and you don't hear the reverb - too much reverb and you don't hear the slap - there's a sweet spot.

I'm using a Boss RV-5 for the reverb and a Wampler Faux Analog Echo for the slap - a nice combination. For a while I used an MXR Carbon Copy for the echo, but I found it didn't have much dynamic range - OK for single notes, but for chords the echo would distort very easily. ("BING-crunch" instead of "BING-bing") The Wampler works much better in that respect.

Also, I always put the echo before the reverb in the signal chain. It's the most natural sounding. (I know, pretty obvious...)
    Last edited by jackmarshall7; 03-10-2015 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm building a "jazz" -- not swing -- pedal board which will have 2 delays, 2 distortions and 1 volume pedal and maybe an ambient reverb if I can fit it. I'm trying to downsize

SIB Nick Nitro fuzz
    Boss FV30H volume pedal
    Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
    Catalinbread Echorec
    Hardwire DL8
    Hardwire Supernatural reverb

I'm waiting to next month to buy the volume pedal and a pedal board as I've spent this month's gear allowance already. I have everything else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i've never liked analog delay. It adds a grainy artifact to the signal unlike the natural sounding decay and slight overdrive you get from tape...

A low mix of digital delay at 400(ish)ms with minimal repeats is nice for a more modern, pat metheny type of sound.

I've got a wampler faux tape echo I'm no longer using since I got my kemper if anyone's interested.
    For some reason, tons of people actually like that coloration (or think they do), and there's now a collectors' market for old Boss analog delays that's as overheated and silly as any other collectors' market (which reminds me ... where did I put that old pedal, and what's my ebay password?)

John

User Info Menu

I play a lot through a T.C Electronic Studio Reverb rack unit, it has a Dual engine, so you can mix reverb with delay and many other effects if required. Recently, I've become hooked on the Acoustic reverb mixed with a hint of Studio delay setting.

A lot of knob twiddling was required.

User Info Menu

i know, John but for me personally , I dislike it. I think if you're doing roots-rock stuff it can sound good but even for that a real tape is superior. The analog delay just doesn't sound great to me.

User Info Menu

I grew up listening to a lot of Ritchie Blackmore (RB), especially focusing on Deep Purple Mk III and Rainbow and he used a modified Akai tape deck to get his massive delays post 1973. He also used the front end of it as a preamp/overdrive much like Lindsey Buckingham but that's another thread. I could never cop those types of sounds with analogue delays -- partly because they didn't really have the delay time to copy it and also because the clarity just wasn't there. Oddly enough, I could get closer to RB-style repeats and timbre with digital delays than I could with those old bucket brigade pedals. If you have copious amounts of spare time look at digital waveforms made from tape delay in a digital audio session--they have a very unique shape to them. I think it is something in the midrange that causes this.
    Last edited by wildschwein; 03-11-2015 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

i have owned several echoplex delays as well as a fulltone tape delay which was my favorite. Nothing comes close to tape for feel IMO. I owned the strymon and it was cool but I thought it added some brightness to the bypassed tone. I also own the wampler faux tape echo which I like and is better than the delay on my kemper IMO but I don't use it anymore. The kemper is good enough for what I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

I have a digital Boss DD-3. I am constantly tweaking it for just the right sound of the day. Guitar into pedal into amp is the usual setup. It sounds pretty good to me. However, I occasionally plug in a Line6 POD 2.0 instead that has a most enjoyable sound with a Jazz Clean amp model based on an '87 Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus. I add a touch of on board delay and reverb and I play so much longer because it sound soooooooo good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkstigma
    i love delay !!!
    i have a Eventime timefactor....

I used to play with analog delay,,, but Timefactor is amazing.... with a lot of memory. Very useful if you like...trippy sounds

Check Kreisberg .... pat Metheny,,, Mail stern,,,,etc,,,
    I tried a t-rex replica, a strymon el capitain..but the eventide is the winner for me.
    It required more reading of the manual to get the sound I wanted but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    When I'm playing straight jazz, I just use a reverb pedal. But I have been toying with the idea of a very small (3-4 pedals) pedalboard for less straight jazz numbers in the same band. I've been thinking of trying a delay that I already have and LOVE for the rock stuff I do, which is the Catalinbread Belle Epoch. I highly recommend checking one out: Catalinbread: Belle Epoch - Tape Echo
    +17 on the belle epoch. lush sounding, from crazy to subtle. also, the pre amp it emulates ids fantasitic from push a tube amp into slight grit, and the pre amp can be on all the time, or only on when you stepon the pedal. bout the only pedal i wouldnt sell.

User Info Menu

Seems like there are several other people on here doing what I have recently started to do (for my non-straightahead playing), that is using both reverb and delay together. My reverb is a T-Rex Tonebug, delay is a Boss PS-2 pitch shifter/DDL. I use a reasonable amount of short reverb and a lot less in the way of delay, but designed to repeat as the reveb dies away. Thus around the notes there's a halo of sound that hangs in the air.

Ambience? Yeh, we can do ambience.
    Last edited by mangotango; 03-12-2015 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Seems like there are several other people on here doing what I have recently started to do (for my non-straightahead playing), that is using both reverb and delay together. My reverb is a T-Rex Tonebug, delay is a Boss DD. I use a reasonable amount of short reverb and a lot less in the way of delay, but designed to repeat as the reveb dies away. Thus around the notes there's a halo of sound that hangs in the air.

Ambience? Yeh, we can do ambience.

Yes, we can do ambient, I can't find any rules saying we can't in latest version of the Jazz Guitar Rule book, I'm hooked on the Digital Reverb+Delay sound too.

User Info Menu

Playing in a small room at low volume I typically use either delay or reverb, just enough to add a little dimension and fullness not to create an "effect". Between the two pedals I prefer delay over reverb, wouldn't go anywhere without one.

User Info Menu

Mike Stern: 221 milliseconds; 4 repeats.... ; level low or set to taste.