The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you think that reverb pedals change a guitar's tone and not just add reverb?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 68.29%
  • No

26 31.71%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

As an aside, those that would like to have more tone control over their spring reverb in Fender tube amps may disconnect the reverb return line where it connects to the amp chassis, place a female RCA to male 1/4 inch adapter on it, and plug it into the Normal channel. You play through the Vibrato channel and the reverb goes through the Normal channel, but now you have the Normal channel volume controlling the reverb level and two or three tone controls to shape the reverb's sound independently from the Vibrato channel tone controls for the guitar... so you can have bright reverb with dark guitar, or dark reverb with bright guitar... worth a try for reverb tone seekers and searchers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    My all time favorite reverb is the vintage Ampeg Reverberocket. It makes the tone darker. I assume that's the physics of the vibrating spring, since it's not perfectly flexible at every frequency.
    Do you know of any pedals that get close to the old Ampeg reverb? I’m looking for one now that will get me close to that, or a blackface otherwise.

User Info Menu

I have tried a few different reverb pedals and finally settled on the Tone Candy Spring fever. It is a simple pedal that only does one thing, spring reverb (since it uses a series of mini amplifiers to create the reverb, it can also be used a s a boost pedal). I do find that it warms the tone just a tad but that does not bother me at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Do you know of any pedals that get close to the old Ampeg reverb? I’m looking for one now that will get me close to that, or a blackface otherwise.
    I use a Boss ME80. With the reverb dial about 2 o'oclock (23 when you check the number), it's roughly in the ballpark of Ampeg, to my ear. Not the same, but usable.

User Info Menu

I'm a plate reverb fan. I use a Catalinbread Talisman which has a High Pass to control certain inherent tone changes -
    From Catalinbread:-

"The HIGH PASS is a filter control that gradually removes lower frequencies fromthe reverbed signal to keep things from getting muddy within the context of a mixor when hit with a signal with a wide EQ spread. This can be especially usefulwhen playing chords or when using a lot of distortion. Pay attention to itsrelationship to the TIME, control - you may find even when playing clean that atlonger delay times that removing some low end via this knob helps to keep thingslight and airy."

so seems like a yes!

Will

User Info Menu

I figured that if reverb sounded good going into the front end (input/preamp) of an amp, then amp designers would have designed onboard reverb that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I figured that if reverb sounded good going into the front end (input/preamp) of an amp, then amp designers would have designed onboard reverb that way.
    What’s the best solution for an amp without reverb? And without an effects loop. If you want a hint of reverb for example. I think I’m happy without it mostly, but it would be nice to have once in a while for some solo stuff. Anyone have any magic tricks for placement of the amp or anything like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    What’s the best solution for an amp without reverb? And without an effects loop. If you want a hint of reverb for example. I think I’m happy without it mostly, but it would be nice to have once in a while for some solo stuff. Anyone have any magic tricks for placement of the amp or anything like that?
    I used to be a reverb addict and would not look at amps without reverb. But I now own two (tube-)amps without reverb (a 1962 Framus Strato 345 and a 1958 Dynacord DA-16/v). I use the Boss FRV-1 in front of that (If I use effect, the reverb always comes last. It sounds great to me and I hear little - if any - difference with my Twin Reverb. I even recorded the Framus with the FRV-1 in front and it sounds great to me.

(You can hear the recording here:
    )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I felt that the wet reverb didn't change the tone.
    Is that the Neunaber WET Reverb?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    As an aside, those that would like to have more tone control over their spring reverb in Fender tube amps may disconnect the reverb return line where it connects to the amp chassis, place a female RCA to male 1/4 inch adapter on it, and plug it into the Normal channel. You play through the Vibrato channel and the reverb goes through the Normal channel, but now you have the Normal channel volume controlling the reverb level and two or three tone controls to shape the reverb's sound independently from the Vibrato channel tone controls for the guitar... so you can have bright reverb with dark guitar, or dark reverb with bright guitar... worth a try for reverb tone seekers and searchers.
    I do this with my DRRI. It allows me more options for tuning to the room. Inexpensive and completely reversible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I used to be a reverb addict and would not look at amps without reverb. But I now own two (tube-)amps without reverb (a 1962 Framus Strato 345 and a 1958 Dynacord DA-16/v). I use the Boss FRV-1 in front of that (If I use effect, the reverb always comes last. It sounds great to me and I hear little - if any - difference with my Twin Reverb. I even recorded the Framus with the FRV-1 in front and it sounds great to me.

(You can hear the recording here:
    )
    Y'all really got it goin' on, Little Jay! A lovely and talented singer, a saxophonist with volume discipline and chops; and a drummer with brushes. Bliss.

Not to mention the guitarist ain't bad either!

User Info Menu

The presence of capacitors and resistors won't tell you anything - all pedals (including the most pristine of clean boosts) and all amps have these components.

Some reverbs definitely alter the fundamental tone, some do not. Just depends on the specific design.

User Info Menu

Wow, this thread was dragged out of the vault! But I’m glad it was. I use the TC Hall of Fame 2, and don’t notice it, but I use very little reverb and it’s mostly dry. But to answer it fairly, there really should be a “depends” option to vote for, because each pedal is designed differently. If I use the shimmer, modulated, or lo-fi setting then it’s definitely very tone-altering.

edited to add: Before I had the HoF2, I had a E-H Holy Grail (traded it in for the HoF2 because it was WAY too noisy, especially with P-90s). I don’t remember it coloring the sound with light use, it that “Flerb” setting...most definitely!
    Last edited by zcostilla; 12-03-2019 at 01:41 AM.

User Info Menu

even natural reverb (extreme example: church) changes the tone character and not just adds reverb.

User Info Menu

There is only one way to do not have changes in guitar tone with effects. They must be used in a tube parallel effect send /return, with the reverb set "all wet" without guitar signal processed. I build amps for jazz guitar and I mount a parallel tube effect send. I mount an Accustronics Reverb brick set all wet in the tube send ret chain. In this way your guitar signal is untouched.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonicguitars
    There is only one way to do not have changes in guitar tone with effects. They must be used in a tube parallel effect send /return, with the reverb set "all wet" without guitar signal processed. I build amps for jazz guitar and I mount a parallel tube effect send. I mount an Accustronics Reverb brick set all wet in the tube send ret chain. In this way your guitar signal is untouched.

User Info Menu

Do you think that reverb pedals change a guitar's tone and not just add reverb?-quilter_mach_ii-jpg

User Info Menu

My kitchen and dining area, with tile floors and lots of windows, and silestone countertops, and tiled dining table, is very live.

My adjacent music room, with carpet, and acoustic panels for sound absorption, is fairly dead.

If I sing or talk from room to room the tone changes. I perceive a cut in the high end as I sing my way into the music room, even though I have six panels in corners trapping the bass.

I think it's natural sounding for reverb to introduce more high end to the sound.

User Info Menu

Do you think that reverb pedals change a guitar's tone and not just add reverb?-541722d4-e17a-4cb5-8a48-5f9de4e05a30-jpg

No change of your guitars tone.
    Attached Images Attached Images Do you think that reverb pedals change a guitar's tone and not just add reverb?-e4580b3d-3fc5-42b3-8d33-197498d07bfa-jpg 

User Info Menu

To my ears adding reverb always has the illusion of having changed the tone; adding reverb to me always thickens and darkens the sound of the instrument slightly. So far I have not heard a reverb unit that did not have this effect to my ears. But I do think this is likely to be an illusion- a well-designed circuit should not affect the EQ of the signal; instead, it is the interaction of the dry and wet signals that changes how it sounds.

User Info Menu

Funny, I voted No in the poll, perhaps because I use the Hermida reverb. I’ve somehow ended up with two of them, if anyone is interested in one shoot me a PM.
    W
    Quote Originally Posted by s1track3d
    I have a Boss RV-3! (Digital Reverb/Delay) It makes the guitar sound like "Pat Metheny in the 80's", lol... (it stays in the gear closet pretty much...)

The other reverbs I have used all provide slightly different characteristics. Most do seem to add something (other than reverb) to the sound, with most it's a nice musical addition though, which is what matters to me.

The only reverb I have used which seems to "just add reverb" is the Hermida Reverb.
    Attachment 18205

I have used:
    Donner Surge Rotator (coloration, musical)
    Electro Harmonix Holygrail nano (coloration, musical)
    Malekko Chicklet Reverb (colorization - that I didn't really like, high end frequencies accented?)

I think like everything it depends on the quality/make/model. (schematic)

I have not used any of the real high end boutique stuff, like Strymon, Dr. Scientist, Jackson (Mr. Springy), etc, but I would assume they do not color the sound much.

I sometimes play without any reverb but I find people respond better when there is at least a little reverb, or maybe I play better with it on...

User Info Menu

My Boss ME80 pedalboard reverb doesn't change the EQ near as much as my vintage Ampeg Reverberocket spring reverb.

My Little Jazz reverb doesn't seem to change the tone that much if I only use a little bit of reverb. If I twist the dial beyond 9 or 10 o'clock the sound changes significantly -- and not just EQ.

Disclosure: I can't hear highs that well anymore so I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    no jazz guitarist dials the reverb up to 100% mix.
    Apparently, this is a rule. My Rivera Jazz Suprema has a beautiful tube-driven reverb tank. The Owner’s Manual puts an interesting spin on the reverb:

”This control allows for the excellent ‘Hammond spring’ reverb to be enjoyed. This is a ‘parallel’ effect, and is adjustable for intensity up to 50%. Adjust to taste. Please keep in mind this adds gain as well and at extreme level settings can cause more hums. However anything past 7 is usually TOO MUCH reverb”

Capitalization by Rivera. Personally, I have found those times when a 100% wet fully-drenched reverb is just the thing to soothe the soul.

User Info Menu

Will reverb add or take someting from your clean sound, I hope so because to me reverb is the effect of a sound waave bouncing off of some surface. Or off a steel plate. I will hardly ever use full saturation of a reverb signal just like I never use Full gain on a distortion.

User Info Menu

If you think reverb, delay, and mod effects change your tone, you could take the Larry Carlton approach - he mics his amp cab with an SM57 and sends it to a small onstage mixer with its own stereo speakers where his effects are patched. That way he's always going straight into his Dumble and none of the effects go in the amp and cabinet - just mixed and eq'd in their own stereo speakers. Pretty clever, though it seems overkill for the gigs we mere mortals play.