The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Well, based on a lot of discussion over here on the forum, I decided to get a Harley Benton/Joyo American pedal to try some basic recording. I hadn't seen too many demos demonstrating a more classic Jazz sound,so I decided to make my own :-)

Here's a demo of the pedal straight into QuickTime with no reverb or any other effects or editing:

Please excuse the few clams, I was just trying to demonstrate the basic tone. I was able to get a pleasing tone right off the bat without a lot of tweaking. This demo was made with the following settings:

Low: 11:00 O'clock
    Mid: 1:00
    High: 11:00
    Level: 3:00
    Voice: 10:00
    Drive: 10:00

Joyo/Harley Benton American pedal Demo-harley-benton-american-sound-jpg

I think this thing will be really really useful for gigs where I know that a PA is available. The pedal provides a ton of tone shaping possibilities. I'm really pleased with it. I haven't had a chance to try it out in front of any amps but I will eventually.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow that sounds great. I have one in the mail and this makes me very anxious for it to arrive. Pretty tune and nice playing as well.

User Info Menu

Very nice tone. I would have liked a higher level level but it was a really pleasing sound. (Nice playing as well). Thanks for the demo. I was hoping someone would do this.

User Info Menu

Nice, I got one last year.

User Info Menu

Boy, these are cheap! I never knew how cheap...

Pretty much gotta grab one of these for my gig bag...sounds pretty darn good. Nice playing too, agreed.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video! Is that a Benedetto Bravo?

User Info Menu

Yeah Mr. B. That's what I thought when I saw the price. 30 bucks well spent. I'm really pleased.

@jads57: No, it's a Sadowsky JH :-)

User Info Menu

Alain,
    If you fell the need ask forgiveness for that performance, that almost guarantees that I never post a clip of my playing on this site! That was wonderfully fluid and delicate, much in a Jim Soloway style.

User Info Menu

Any reason this couldn't be used as a guitar headphone amp, i.e., guitar into this into headphones?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Fan
    Any reason this couldn't be used as a guitar headphone amp, i.e., guitar into this into headphones?
    Pretty sure you'd have to run it into a mixer or headphone amp for that to work.

User Info Menu

Alain.. you are a very good player and appreciate you taking the time to do this. Reminds me that I need to try this pedal through my acoustic guitar rig. Also, I need to go order another one as a backup.
    Last edited by Spook410; 02-18-2015 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.
    @Wes Fan: no you can't just run a headphone directly into it. I ran it into my computer via an Apogee Jam interface.

User Info Menu

Sounds good and nice playing as well, carry on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlainJazz
    Thanks guys.
    @Wes Fan: no you can't just run a headphone directly into it. I ran it into my computer via an Apogee Jam interface.
    Ahhh, thanks. And thanks to drbhrb.

Terrific sound and playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Pretty sure you'd have to run it into a mixer or headphone amp for that to work.
    Yea, that's what I do with mine. If you put it through a reverb pedal that has stereo outs and into 2 channels of a mixer (each panned), you get a great sound!

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the pedal with a Mambo amp? Would it go through the main guitar in, or by pass the pre amp and in through the effect loop in "return" would that work?

User Info Menu

How does the Joyo American compare to a Tech 21 Blonde? Similar and best suited for recording applications? I tried the Blonde with a powered speaker and in front of an amp and it was Ok, not great.

Thanks,
    MB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko
    How does the Joyo American compare to a Tech 21 Blonde? Similar and best suited for recording applications? I tried the Blonde with a powered speaker and in front of an amp and it was Ok, not great.

Thanks,
    MB
    I tried it as well with not very good results but I believe the problem is that the American/Blonde pedals are putting out an instrument level signal and most powered speakers are designed in their default mode to receive a line level signal.

User Info Menu

my results with the Blonde were mixed as well. I though it sounded anemic and thin in front of an amp (and I hated the overdriven tones) but once I connected it to the Bose L1 it sounded quite good. I'll give it another shot. This clip of the Joyo sounded very nice. My fellow guitar player in the rock band I am playing with goes via a Joyo American into the effects return of his amp and I think it sounds very good. It really is surprising what one can get for very little money these days.

User Info Menu

"My fellow guitar player in the rock band I am playing with goes via a Joyo American into the effects return of his amp and I think it sounds very good"

What amp was he using?

Thanks,
    MB

User Info Menu

My American Sound works well in the effects loop return of my Crate Powerblock. I owned a Tech 21 Blonde for a short time before getting the American Sound and from memory they sounded and reacted close to the same but never had them both at the same time. But I mostly use mine for headphone practice while my family is asleep...American Sound -> stereo reverb -> mixer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    My American Sound works well in the effects loop return of my Crate Powerblock. I owned a Tech 21 Blonde for a short time before getting the American Sound and from memory they sounded and reacted close to the same but never had them both at the same time. But I mostly use mine for headphone practice while my family is asleep...American Sound -> stereo reverb -> mixer.
    Out of curiosity, which reverb pedal and mixer do you use?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko

What amp was he using?
    A Hughes and Kettner solid state amp, but I don't know from top of my head which one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    A Hughes and Kettner solid state amp, but I don't know from top of my head which one

Ok, thanks. I didn't realize H&K made a SS amp until I visited their website.

User Info Menu

I think I have to say that after having bought a Joyo American pedal last year, I'm back to using an Analog Pedal, a pedal similar to the Zendrive's circuit, but with only slight overdrive in the Opamp's feedback loop and a control for mixing variable true bypass, I thought that the Joyo American alters the actual guitar sound too much for my tastes.