The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 241

User Info Menu

I have a lead on a 1978 Ibanez George Benson 10 GB10 guitar.

Any thoughts or impression on the guitar would be great.

This guitar has a very unqiue design. I love the small size, ebony fretboard, and floating mini humbuckers. But how does guitar sound with this design? I would imagine it has its own personallity which is the draw to it for myself.

I have not had a chance to play it yet, but even then I find that I don't really get a feel for the guitar until I play in my home environment.

Ibanez GB10-ibanez-gb10-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Random opinion items:

- It sounds great. Does exactly what is was designed to do.
    - Man, that is a bunch of big screws in the pickguard.
    - By todays standards it is a bit of a quirky design in quite a few ways.
    - It is a little odd to go with floater PU's yet have a thick top with 4 pots mounted on it.
    - The tailpiece is a little ornate and the adjustment makes little to no difference (others may truly feel that the adjustment is important).
    - It's a cool classic.
    - Try it in your normal playing position. It is an unusual shape (small but thick for its overall size).

They are great guitars, and a definite contrast to today's idea of a small archtop. But of course in 25 years players may all laugh at Sadowsky and Benedetto "bland little plywood boxes" and think the GB10 is the height of fashion.

(I like both the GB-10 and the small Sadowsky and Benedetto designs. They sound great and a little variety is always a good thing.)

All in my opinion.

Ibanez GB10-george-benson-gb10-jpg

User Info Menu

I've owned a couple of GB-10's in the past. They're a very versatile guitar and comfortable to play on long gigs. Are you buying the 1978 GB10 as a player guitar or as an investment? Is it all original, no mods? Since it is a vintage guitar the worth and resale value should be considered, should you end up having to let it go later.

Also given it's age, the thing to check out is if the pickguard has started to "gas out". The plastic material they used back then does deteriorate over time, the gas fumes that it emits will usually cause fogging on the guitar's finish and on the metal parts, especially if the guitar has been in it's case for a very long time. The potential problem is finding an exact factory pickguard replacement. The pickguard is unique in that the bracket for the floating pickups is mounted onto it. I've heard on one of the Ibanez owners forums that the pickguards on current production models aren't exactly the same, can't recall specifically what. I think it has some to do with the newer GB10's being built in Korea while all the vintage ones were all built in Japan. Hope this info is helpful

User Info Menu

I worked at Ibanez and it was my pride and joy to have a Benson to memorialize that time. It's a very fine guitar, built to very high standards, built like a tank to remain in tune and work to the same standard for the life of the instrument. They are made in Japan. For a few years they made a version in Korea but they're designated differently, they have rosewood fingerboards and no inlay on the bridge base. Some people, myself included, found them to actually be livelier acoustically. The pickups have the distinctive George Benson sound. I had Duncan custom wind me a set of Johnny Smith jazz floaters and they put the guitar firmly into the "perfect working guitar" category for me. The size, is phenomenal. SO comfortable.

It's not loud. It's not really woody the way my Joe Pass is, but it's a delight to play. As a player's instrument, they are serious professional tools and I love mine. But I still gotta wonder: Why didn't Ibanez ever use lacquer? Their love affair with poly is a mystery, especially for something like the GB. Know too, that the wood is beautiful but it's laminate. Very stable. Very playable. But it will not have the delicacy of a solid wood guitar. Plug it in and it makes it a better electric.

Ibanez GB10-ibanez-signature-guitars-jpg

User Info Menu

I personally am into playing acoustic archtops; or only with little amplification. A friend of mine has a GB10 so I tried it out. Very nice neck, but I didnt care for the sound much at first
    Plugged in it sounded great though !
    I guess this is exactly what it was designed for. George Benson plays big body acoustic archtops at home and on the records. But live he needed a versatile instrument that had a hollowbody sound, but smaller body so easier to handle and no feedback issues.
    So I guess for you it should depend what you want to do. If your main thing is to be able to get a good jazz sound, playing live, with considerable amplification, the GB10 would be an excellnt choice.
    If it is for private / home / practice use I would have other favorites. An early GB10 is a $ 2000-3000 instrument so you can also buy a lot of other very good guitars in that price range

User Info Menu

I got a 1978 GB10, the first year of production, for much less than that, recently. I call it my beater guitar that I leave in the office--plays great, but the pick guard came apart and was gerryrigged together, and the binding needs to be fixed, sealed.

Its small sized, which is great. But....It's one heavy guitar!!! Are the newere models lighter??? I love the size, though. I have no idea why there is two floating pickups on a plywood guitar, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLastra
    I've owned a couple of GB-10's in the past. They're a very versatile guitar and comfortable to play on long gigs. Are you buying the 1978 GB10 as a player guitar or as an investment? Is it all original, no mods? Since it is a vintage guitar the worth and resale value should be considered, should you end up having to let it go later.

Also given it's age, the thing to check out is if the pickguard has started to "gas out". The plastic material they used back then does deteriorate over time, the gas fumes that it emits will usually cause fogging on the guitar's finish and on the metal parts, especially if the guitar has been in it's case for a very long time. The potential problem is finding an exact factory pickguard replacement. The pickguard is unique in that the bracket for the floating pickups is mounted onto it. I've heard on one of the Ibanez owners forums that the pickguards on current production models aren't exactly the same, can't recall specifically what. I think it has some to do with the newer GB10's being built in Korea while all the vintage ones were all built in Japan. Hope this info is helpful
    Thanks for the pickguard warning. I read a bit about it along the way.

The guitar is all original for a "78". But the production number is 4356 for that month or year? So I'm not sure how it would hold its value. It would be an everyday player for me. I held on to guitars in the past thinking I would keep them for investment, but after a few years I just could not let them sit in storage.

I'm all about the size aspect with this guitar. I had an Ibanez 15" hollowbody that I loved. AG95 model. Sort of a poor man's GB10. $275 used. But I sold it because I just didn't think the versatilty that I was looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    I personally am into playing acoustic archtops; or only with little amplification. A friend of mine has a GB10 so I tried it out. Very nice neck, but I didnt care for the sound much at first
    Plugged in it sounded great though !
    I guess this is exactly what it was designed for. George Benson plays big body acoustic archtops at home and on the records. But live he needed a versatile instrument that had a hollowbody sound, but smaller body so easier to handle and no feedback issues.
    So I guess for you it should depend what you want to do. If your main thing is to be able to get a good jazz sound, playing live, with considerable amplification, the GB10 would be an excellnt choice.
    If it is for private / home / practice use I would have other favorites. An early GB10 is a $ 2000-3000 instrument so you can also buy a lot of other very good guitars in that price range
    Thats the thing as you are absolutly correct about this price range and the great guitar in it. $2000-$2500 which why I did this post to find out if this guitar can cover alot of ground with a great jazz tone, but also blues and rock all with the size for it.

I am further away from the acoustic side of thing and closer to the amplification side of things. My amp selection and set up is very critical to the tone I play for, and if I can turn the boost or gain up a bit and have lighter strings to still bend, thats perfect for me. I guess as close as a jazz guitar thats an all rounder.

In that price range I'm not sure if you can find a vintage "jazz" guitar with this versatility and size. As I said its a very unquie design on paper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I worked at Ibanez and it was my pride and joy to have a Benson to memorialize that time. It's a very fine guitar, built to very high standards, built like a tank to remain in tune and work to the same standard for the life of the instrument. They are made in Japan. For a few years they made a version in Korea but they're designated differently, they have rosewood fingerboards and no inlay on the bridge base. Some people, myself included, found them to actually be livelier acoustically. The pickups have the distinctive George Benson sound. I had Duncan custom wind me a set of Johnny Smith jazz floaters and they put the guitar firmly into the "perfect working guitar" category for me. The size, is phenomenal. SO comfortable.
    It's not loud. It's not really woody the way my Joe Pass is, but it's a delight to play. As a player's instrument, they are serious professional tools and I love mine. But I still gotta wonder: Why didn't Ibanez ever use lacquer? Their love affair with poly is a mystery, especially for something like the GB. Know too, that the wood is beautiful but it's laminate. Very stable. Very playable. But it will not have the delicacy of a solid wood guitar. Plug it in and it makes it a better electric.
    David
    At one time I looked down on a laminated gutiar. But heck Gibson has been selling them for years and continues to and not many people complain about it. My friend plays his Gibson 82 335 laminate and make her sing.

I was looking at the newer ES-137 custom model, laminated curly maple for $2700. Not hating, just saying. As to poly, after all these years, I have no idea. Laquer makes sense and guitar sellers says it steals tone.

User Info Menu

Bought the 1978 Benson GB10 today.
    Played it. Very nice.
    The pickups with the woods are quite impressive.
    The bridge pickup really blew my mind. Quite mid-ranged for a bridge pickup. Quite impressive.
    Final cost $2200.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Bought the 197
    Con8 Benson GB10 today.
    Played it. Very nice.
    The pickups with the woods are quite impressive.
    The bridge pickup really blew my mind. Quite mid-ranged for a bridge pickup. Quite impressive.
    Final cost $2200.
    Congrats! Forgot to ask is she blond or sunburst? Those guitars have really held
    up their value.. I sold my 1982 sunburst a few years ago for $1800. You're gonna love that thing

User Info Menu

Congrats! Forgot to ask is she blond or sunburst? Those guitars have really held
    up their value.. I sold my 1982 sunburst a few years ago for $1800. You're gonna love that thing
    I sold my 82 burst GB10 late last year on Ebay for only $1700. The guitar was in pristine condition. Only one bidder. I think I ran the auction 3 times in a row before I got a sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    I sold my 82 burst GB10 late last year on Ebay for only $1700. The guitar was in pristine condition. Only one bidder. I think I ran the auction 3 times in a row before I got a sale.
    I put my GB10 up on craigslist and sold it within a week, sometimes it's just the timing of things. BTW, were you original owner? I bought mine new in 1981 for $1100, that was a big chunk of money back then. I traded my white 1973 Les Paul custom for $700 to pay for part of it. I cringe when I think about what that '73 LP custom would have been worth today. Oh, and a double cringe and triple butt kick that I traded in my olympic white 1965 Strat to buy that LP custom. I've seen '65 strats sell on ebay for $15,000+. My parents bought me that strat for $500 in 1968. Just a couple of the dumb things I did when I was young

User Info Menu

The sunburst model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    The sale for me was a local guy that deals in guitars extensively for a hobby. Also part of the deal he gave me a great price on a Gibson Les Paul. Also the I know the history of the guitar as the seller is a well known jazz guy in my area. One thing with the 1978 models also is that the prices seem to be higher. First year models tend to sell higher at 20% more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    The sale for me was a local guy that deals in guitars extensively for a hobby. Also part of the deal he gave me a great price on a Gibson Les Paul. Also the I know the history of the guitar as the seller is a well known jazz guy in my area. One thing with the 1978 models also is that the prices seem to be higher. First year models tend to sell higher at 20% more.
    This is true.
    I think my timing of the sale was bad and in truth it is a small market with few buyers. The economic woes of the world also contributed.
    I bought it a couple of years ago in a pawn shop and paid exactly what I sold it for.

Someone had put round wound gauge .008 strings on it and they were rusty.
    With a visit to a repairer she came up very nicely.
    I had a hankering for a Gibson though.

User Info Menu

I've always thought the Ibanez GB10 was a super cool guitar and was pretty sure I wanted one.........until yesterday. I went to look at one for sale locally - not sure of the year but it was Japanese and natural and in mint condition at a good price. The fact that it was strung with .009's, I could sort of get over once I managed to get it in tune enough to play test. Action was wonderful and neck was very comfortable to play and the size of the body was very nice. Everything was hunky dory until I switched to the bridge pickup - sounded like a cat fight! Now, I know I probably wouldn't use it (brideg PU) very much, but spending that much money on a guitar and not being able to, at least, use both pickups is not in the cards for me. I know I could replace the pickup but after spending high dollar (for me) for an instrument, I'd like it to be useable from the start. It was a beautiful guitar and the price is right (I thought) but I guess i'll just keep fooling with my Teles (new one in the works, by the way) and be happy.

User Info Menu

Some of the GB models (as well as their mid to upper tier hollow body guitars) use the "super 58's" which I think are a better than fair pup, but are sensitive to strings and can sound like crappola. If I were you I'd go back to see the guitar again with two sets of strings, one of the owner's choice and one of your faves and re-string it before you walk from it.

User Info Menu

I brought my GB10 used and sounded like same Rocker owned it with 9's on it, also they had adjust the bridge pickup too high. I kept a screw driver around and tweaked it little by little as I played it and it sounds great both pickups. All guitars take time to setup up to your taste new or used.

User Info Menu

One of the cool features of the GB's is that little Phillips screw head on the pickguard. It allows the height to be adjusted for the bridge pickup. Take it down, it mellows and rounds out the sound a lot, not to mention setting a better balance with the neck pu. Still, I never used the bridge pickup. That's why they made that version of the guitar called the 15. Same thing, no unnecessary bridge pickup which nobody seemed to use anyway.
    Still, put the contact information up here for the group and somebody else might want to "deal with it".
    Hope you find your sound
    David
    Last edited by TH; 10-12-2014 at 08:02 AM.

User Info Menu

This is the first negative comment I've ever read/heard on the GB10.

Get that 9 set off there. You really can't have a realistic opinion of the instrument playing those "cobwebs". Get yourself a set of 11 or 12 flatwounds and see what happens to the tone. Regarding the bridge p/u, who cares?

IMO, the GB10 is one gorgeous instrument and is capable of beautiful tone.

Ibanez GB10-ibanez-gb10-gb20-jpg

User Info Menu

One of the cool features of the GB's is that little Phillips screw head on the pickguard. It allows the height to be adjusted for the bridge pickup. Take it down, it mellows and rounds out the sound a lot, not to mention setting a better balance with the neck pu. Still, I never used the bridge pickup. That's why they made that version of the guitar called the 20. Same thing, no unnecessary bridge pickup which nobody seemed to use anyway.
    Still, put the contact information up here for the group and somebody else might want to "deal with it".
    Hope you find your sound
    David
    The GB20 is not the same guitar. It has a larger body (approx. 17"), a single floating pickup and a pickguard mounted volume control, like a Johnny Smith.
    Keith

User Info Menu

jazz.fred - you're certainly right about the lack of negative comments and the strings. It is a beautiful guitar and one of the most comfortable I've ever played. I might call the guy and see if he'll let me restring it with .012 Chromes (that's about all I can get locally) and give it another shot. He doesn't really have it advertised so I doubt it'll go away. I believe he also has a GB100 but I didn't even look at it as I don't care for the pearl type trim on an archtop. It is signed by GB, though,
    Last edited by Skip Ellis; 10-12-2014 at 08:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    The GB20 is not the same guitar. It has a larger body (approx. 17"), a single floating pickup and a pickguard mounted volume control, like a Johnny Smith.
    Keith
    Mea Culpa It's called the GB15. Made in a deep red with a single pickup. That one is the same size as the GB10 (and the GB10JS of course). They made them because they realized most players weren't playing a bridge pickup anyway, and guess what? Nobody bought them because buyers thought "Hell even if I never use it, it's less of a guitar if it doesn't have both pickups" and ultimately sales proved them to be a bad idea. Go figure.
    David

User Info Menu

Mea Culpa It's called the GB15. Made in a deep red with a single pickup. That one is the same size as the GB10 (and the GB10JS of course). They made them because they realized most players weren't playing a bridge pickup anyway, and guess what? Nobody bought them because buyers thought "Hell even if I never use it, it's less of a guitar if it doesn't have both pickups" and ultimately sales proved them to be a bad idea. Go figure.
    David
    When I was at GIT Norman Brown was our group's main instructor and we'd talk to Norman about his GB10's (and GB20's). He said once setup it can get a good sound for funky rhythm parts that he liked. He said on some sessions they expect to "see" a strat, but when they got to know him he'd be bringing his GB10 and leaving strat at home. GB10 is a versatile guitar once setup.