The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 241 of 241

User Info Menu

I'm with you, a good player can play any guitar ("any" with a certain limit) and the Gb10 se is one that plays very good.
    But I'm pretty sure the the hardware will be all over the place in a couple of years, you can just see it.
    And man the guitar smells, should I say stinks, so strong, I find that very strange. I've many new guitars of all category and I 've never encountered such a smell of glue in any case.
    I' ve left the guitar open box, and the room is filled with that smell.. It's no very reassuring.

The lid was also full of little wood chops.. I don't really like that..
    All these little details side by side just don't want me to keep it.

I knew it about 5 minutes after opening the box, because I have gathered some experience with instruments thru the years, and I know where to look at.

The benchmark is my 1980 Ibanez AS50, and when you hold this guitar in your hands and play 3 notes, you just know it's a real good one, it's solid, the notes have a real consistency, they have a fundamental ring and life.
    That doesn't happen with the Gb10se.
    So yes, George Benson could play the shit out of this one for sure, put I'm sure he would say to himself "when I go back home I wanna play my Japanese one"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i totally agree with everything big mike just said--i have a '79 sunburst that russell malone gave me and its the greatest guitar ever, fits my hands like a glove and plays like butter...

User Info Menu

Hi Folks.6 months ago, I purchased a GB100 from from year 2000: incredible instrument, with a very acoustic, warm, articulate and distintive sound! And very comfortable too! Both body and neck!She mades me forget about my Gibson L5 from '89...Cheers!

User Info Menu

Mine GB10
    I try again to get a better sound...

User Info Menu

Nice thread. I got a new GB10 in fall 2019. I always wanted one since my early 20s but never got around to buy one. I had an Artcore AG75 (the poor man's GB) for like 15 years. Nice for the price, but the the GB10 is just in a different league. I gave the AG75 to my best friend who loves it.

I just love that GB10. IMHO it sounds beautiful. I have .012 Chromes on it and that gives me the dry acoustic-electric tone I was expecting. It plays like a dream too. And it can be played loud which is a big plus in some situations. A few days after I got it I took it to a session in which we played everything from hip hop to soul to reggae to funk to jazz. Very loud too – much louder than I like.
    I think that was George Bensons initial intention: to have an instrument he can play loud on big stages. Hence the laminated woods, small size and heavy bracing. I understand that they used floating pickups to decouple them acoustically from the top to further reduce feedback. I don't know if that theory makes sense but it works. And I like the brighter and more transparent tone of the minis compared to full size hmbuckers.
    I have the impression that it can be just plugged into any amp and sounds fine. Though the neck pickup is my favorite and go-to tone I think the split sound and bridge pickup are very nice for the special skinny tones that sound peculiar on it's own but can just work fine in a mix. Especially when the genre is not jazz.
    BTW the specs on the Ibanez website say that the pickups use AlNiCo magnets and I don't think that they are especially hot. Maybe they changed them back to the original specs since in this thread someone claimed they use ceramic magnets and are very loud?
    Anyway, I think it's just a great instrument.

User Info Menu

Hi,

I have been looking at GB10s and thinking about purchasing. I tried out the new model and noticed that the pick guard is exceptional high of the body of the guitar. The lower pickup and portion of the guard can be adjusted by lowering the screw, but I noticed that there is a wide spacer at the top of the pickguard that makes it nearly flush with the fretboard. Does anyone have experience lowering/altering that or is that potentially an error on the manufacture's part? Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by casmirkid
    Hi,

I have been looking at GB10s and thinking about purchasing. I tried out the new model and noticed that the pick guard is exceptional high of the body of the guitar. The lower pickup and portion of the guard can be adjusted by lowering the screw, but I noticed that there is a wide spacer at the top of the pickguard that makes it nearly flush with the fretboard. Does anyone have experience lowering/altering that or is that potentially an error on the manufacture's part? Thanks in advance.
    You can lower that. The screw mount bushing at the body/pickup there is rubber (or it used to be for as many years as I've been working on them) and can indeed be screwed down.
    If you want it even lower, go to your hardware store and get tubing and cut it to where you want it. No harm done because the neck pickup is neck mounted.
    Good luck and hope it makes your GB10 perfect!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    You can lower that. The screw mount bushing at the body/pickup there is rubber (or it used to be for as many years as I've been working on them) and can indeed be screwed down.
    If you want it even lower, go to your hardware store and get tubing and cut it to where you want it. No harm done because the neck pickup is neck mounted.
    I agree. I have adjusted mine. It is a great guitar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

One additional note, don't use the bridge adjustment screw as a height adjustor, that's primarily to adjust the pickup height of the bridge pickup. You mess with that one, you're messing with the plugged in sound if you're using the bridge pickup at any time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Thanks so much! I assumed that post was solid. I appreciate your help.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I brought the GB 10 home for trial run. Loving it so far. The neck is amazing. The pickups are a bit hot for my taste but I seem to be able to control it by lowering the volume a bit. I have a couple questions I’m wondering if anyone could provide some user feedback.

1. Is the fretboard intentionally pitched at an angle? I know this sounds strange! I’m not a very technical person about guitar terms and repairs but it feels to my hand and to the eye (looking down the fretboard) that the bass side of the neck is pitched lower (towards the body). Is this intentional? The trust rod seems to be straight and I’m not get any buzzing. The action is low and I’m getting a good sound. I'm just curious if this is by design?

2. I changed the strings from the stock d’addario 11s to thomastik benson 14s. I instantly start getting a ton of strange harmonic overtones. I finally determined that they were coming from the space between the bridge and the tailpiece. I put a sock there temporarily and it stopped. Has anyone encountered this or does any one have a potential solution?

thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by casmirkid; 07-15-2023 at 08:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I brought the GB 10 home for trial run. Loving it so far. The neck is amazing. The pickups are a bit hot for my taste but I seem to be able to control it by lowering the volume a bit. I have a couple questions I’m wondering if anyone could provide some user feedback.

1. Is the fretboard intentionally pitched at an angle? I know this sounds strange! I’m not a very technical person about guitar terms and repairs but it feels to my hand and to the eye (looking down the fretboard) that the bass side of the neck is pitched lower (towards the body). Is this intentional? The trust rod seems to be straight and I’m not get any buzzing. The action is low and I’m getting a good sound. I'm just curious if this is by design?
    Update: Just in case anyone else has this question. I called Ibanez about the neck. I was super impressed with their customer service. They said that they have had this question before. Yes, the fretboard is intentionally pitched lower on the low-e side.

User Info Menu

That helps when you have a very thick low E.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Speaking to the pickups, those hot pickups are in my opinion the secret sauce of the Ibanez GB10. For a very nice jazz sound, I run the neck pickup at 4-5 on the volume knob and set the tone knob to taste; I might turn the amp up just a little bit. Rolling the volume knob up towards 10 results in a brighter and more poppy sound similar to GB's tone. So, just by utilizing the volume knob you can get a dark jazzy tone or a bright pop tone which can work quite well for R&B, etc. That makes it a very versatile guitar. My apologies if I am repeating myself, I make this point frequently.

I will have to go look at my GB 10, which is a 1981. I have never noticed what you speak of, but I don't think I've ever looked for it either. EDIT: my 1981 GB10 does not show any fall-off on the bass side of the fingerboard, either across the board (parallel to the frets) or along the length of the fingerboard.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 07-19-2023 at 12:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    That helps when you have a very thick low E.
    thanks so much. That makes perfect sense. I have been able to set the action very low without any buzzing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Speaking to the pickups, those hot pickups are in my opinion the secret sauce of the Ibanez GB10. For a very nice jazz sound, I run the neck pickup at 4-5 on the volume knob and set the tone knob to taste; I might turn the amp up just a little bit. Rolling the volume knob up towards 10 results in a brighter and more poppy sound similar to GB's tone. So, just by utilizing the volume knob you can get a dark jazzy tone or a bright pop tone which can work quite well for R&B, etc. That makes it a very versatile guitar. My apologies if I am repeating myself, I make this point frequently.

I will have to go look at my GB 10, which is a 1981. I have never noticed what you speak of, but I don't think I've ever looked for it either.
    Thanks so much. That volume setting is working for me. My old polytone seems to tame the brightness better than my tube amp. You’re right I could see it as an interesting R&B or even neo soul guitar when turned up.

Thanks again for your help.