The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 241

User Info Menu

Agreed. The nut matters only on open strings...a zero fret works just fine.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had 10 GB10 guitars. They are great instruments. The newer ones have very hot ceramic pickups and are very bright. Benson gets his rewound to original gibson mini humbucker specs.

I find them very bright for playing alone but they cut well with a band.

Despite the design they are still prone to feedback. Not as bad as an L5 of course.

User Info Menu

I haven't played a new one with the ceramic magnets. Hmm? Bright has its place, but I would definitely prefer one of the old, Japanese instruments I used to play. The size, comfort, and sound made the GB-10 a nearly ideal instrument for taking to the teaching studio, or for gigging. Otherwise, the temptation was to sub the 335 for a full-size archtop in those situations. I've done that _many_ times (Telecaster, too). It's all good, but the archtop tone is best for Great American Songbook/Real Book gigs, IMO.

For the last ten years, or so, I've used this:
    Ibanez GB10-matsumoku-jpg
    but I could easily prefer a GB-10 for teaching and gigging.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    The Neck on my gb10 is very similar to the neck on my L5. Both guitars are exquisitely well built. Good luck in your search.
    2 other things..
    George Benson could put strings on a pile of dog shit and make it sound good.
    After you own both guitars, you will quickly realize just how great your L5 really is..
    Joe D
    I've owned over a dozen GB10s from the '78 model with 21 frets and low output pickups to the newer and brighter 2000 series guitars with their high output ceramic pickups. I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this guitar.

Pros:
    where the gb10 shines is live use. Less feedback. It also plays so easily. At lower volumes, it sounds kind of plinky but in a loud group it outshines the L5 dues to the boomyness of the L5 with its extended bass response. To me the benson sounds like a mini L5. Definitely part of the same family tree but with the mini humbuckers, it is brighter and cuts through the mix better than an L5. It's also more modern sounding.

Cons:
    It feeds back more than you'd expect a small body guitar to. Even though it's a thick top, the pickups not mounted in the top make it very sensitive to feedback. If you notice, benson is often seen with packing tape over the f-holes.
    The pickup mounting is also poor IMO. The neck pickup is too close to the strings and the pickups are not potted so when your pick hits them, it audibly clicks through the amp. Then, the bridge pickup height is tied to the pickguard. When you get the pickguard adjusted so that the treble strings of the bridge pickup balance with the neck pickup, the angle of the bridge pickup is such that the bass strings are too close to the bass side of the pickup. I've talked to my luthier many times about making a custom pickguard with an adjustable angle bracket for the pickup as well as re-mounting the neck pickup slightly lower. And lastly , if you get a 2000+ series guitar with the ceramic pickups, they are very hot and too bright. George Benson gets his rewound to a more vintage spec. (My repairman did quite a bit of setup for benson)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    IThen, the bridge pickup height is tied to the pickguard. When you get the pickguard adjusted so that the treble strings of the bridge pickup balance with the neck pickup, the angle of the bridge pickup is such that the bass strings are too close to the bass side of the pickup. I've talked to my luthier many times about making a custom pickguard with an adjustable angle bracket for the pickup as well as re-mounting the neck pickup slightly lower. (My repairman did quite a bit of setup for benson)
    Well I've never seen one up close, so I'm trying to visualize this, but...

Would a washer(s) or nylon spacer(s) placed under the pg, on the screw(s) closest to the strings work? (Sandwiched between the pg and the pickup tab.)

User Info Menu

Cons:
    It feeds back more than you'd expect a small body guitar to. Even though it's a thick top, the pickups not mounted in the top make it very sensitive to feedback. If you notice, benson is often seen with packing tape over the f-holes.
    The pickup mounting is also poor IMO. The neck pickup is too close to the strings and the pickups are not potted so when your pick hits them, it audibly clicks through the amp.
    I was looking at mine today and noticed that it would be possible to fill in the neck bracket screw holes and mount the pickup 1/8" lower with a shim between the bracket and the lip on the sides of the fretboard. Might reduce the pick issue and could tame some of the hotness of the pickup. I don't seem to have the same issue with the bridge pickup, although I virtually never use it.

User Info Menu

Hey everyone,

I got curious about this model lately, I like the fact that it has a small deep hollow body, plus the price is really appealing. Plus, I heard a few clips around and some sound really nice.
    I haven't played one but I have played an 80s AS-200, the neck was a bit thin compared to a Gibson 50s C neck, I guess someone can get used to that. Sound wise was really nice from what I remember.

I would like to know, what are you thoughts on these? Also, what's the best year someone can get one of those? I found a few around, '79, '80 year and a few around the early 2000s. Of course, a japanese made one.

Thank you,
    Mike

User Info Menu

I've only played a 1978 GB-10 and I was massively impressed. So much so that I considered taking up a student loan to buy it.

User Info Menu

Mine is a 1981 and it's a wonderful jazz axe.

User Info Menu

First one I played was at a dealer that I had tremendous respect for in 1978. This guy had a personal collection of great 40s Epiphones--he used to be an Epiphone dealer back in the day. His personal guitar was a '30s non-cut L-5 with a CC pickup.

The Ibanez GB-10 was a huge surprise to me. I was very familiar with their lawsuit guitars, up to that point, but had not seen any truly original jazz guitars from the company. The GB-10 was suggested to me by the dealer, who had known my tastes since I was about 13 years old. Anyway, the guitar was quite impressive.

I had a carved Gibson, at that point, so I wasn't in the market. My gigging guitars were a '69 Telecaster and a '68 Stratocaster back then.

Still, the Ibanez GB-10 was just superb. I remember thinking that it had the best neck I had ever played on a guitar, at that point, and the sound of the two floaters was sensational.

User Info Menu

a few miscellaneous bits of info.

The '78 had 21 frets so the pickup is in a more forward position and consequently it's a warmer sounding axe.

In '79 they went to 22 frets.

In the late 2000s they switched from alnico 7k pickups to 15k ceramic pickups. The doubled the windings because the ceramic magnets make for a much brighter pickup. I've heard from several sources that George gets dimarzio to convert his pickups back to a vintage spec.

I have a 2006 which has the more mellow pickups. Not sure when they switched exactly to the ceramics.

User Info Menu

Thank you both for the info!! I am going to do some searching to see what's the best I can find.

Are there any pickups out there that would fit the GB10?

User Info Menu

I bought this in early '79 and sold it in '83. All I remember about it was that it had a volute and the included flight case weighed 430 pounds. Oh yeah, and if you tapped on the pickguard it made loud noises through the amp, which made it useless for me to gig with, since I sometimes play drums on the guard. Other than that I have no idea if I liked it at all.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

that's one reason why those early guitars sounded good. The non-potted pickups picked up the acoustic sound of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPMike
    Thank you both for the info!! I am going to do some searching to see what's the best I can find.

Are there any pickups out there that would fit the GB10?
    I believe a standard gibson mini humbucker would fit but you can just have it rewound to early '70s specs for less than the price of a new pickup and bracket though of course you could solder the replacement into the existing bracket I guess...

User Info Menu

I'm no expert, having only played a couple. My best buddy has a mid 90's I believe, and mine is a 2002, (I think.) His has a bit more oxidation and mine is mint. I can't tell the difference, love em both.

I'm tempted at times to get a GB15 and stick a gold Johnny Smith on there, but ignorance is bliss. I think whatever mine came with is pretty versatile.... I usually play my L5 with the tone between 1 and 2 and my GB10 between 9 and 10. The Benson tone is clearer and more articulate, but mine at least is not overly bright.

As Greentone said, it's the best neck ever. Wish I could put it on every guitar I own!

I know Jack has owned/played quite a few, his opinion is certainly valuable. Plus, after all his gear explorations, if he likes it, you might want to pay attention

User Info Menu

I've owned one for a month now. The year should be 2013.
    I think it's a great guitar, but not my cup of tea, so far.....
    The neck pick up is nice but I prefer a regular humbucker
    If the guitar had had a set in regular humbucker it would have been a perfect guitar for me,
    because I like the small dimensions.

You can find pictures of my guitar here

That is exactly my guitar.

Regarding the pickup this is what the Ibanez website says:
    "
    Magnet: Alnico
    Description: Floating pickup co-designed by George Benson for hollow bodies at higher volumes. Warm, well rounded output with less feedback."

User Info Menu

that's one reason why those early guitars sounded good. The non-potted pickups picked up the acoustic sound of the guitar.
    To paraphrase Spinal Tap, it's a fine line between nicely acoustic and uselessly microphonic, and my GB-10 stepped way over that line. It wasn't just the pickups; the pickguard height-adjusting screw coupled any tapping right into the top.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Another consideration when looking at early ('78 - '80's) GB10's is the outgassing pickguard. The results can be devastating to the guard and any metal parts close to it. Even if the guitar is left in the case, an outgassing guard can seep into the interior case fabric and continue to damage metal parts, even if the offending guard is replaced.

Check for signs of corrosion around the pickguard screws, pickup covers and upper frets. If corrosion is visible but the guard looks fine, then it has likely been replaced.

Other than that issue, the GB10 is one fine jazz instrument!

User Info Menu

​Found a blonde '78 in Guitar Showcases consignment room for $700.00, no case. Grabbed that right up. The guard and warped some and the guitar needed a real thorough cleaning and setup, unnbelievably on my lunch break the following week in Palo Alto I stepped into Draper's on California Avenue (authorized Ibanez and Alvarez Yairi dealers) and they had a pick guard in their parts box they sold me !! It's how I met my tech, Dave Tupper was thru that visit. So off to Dave's with a bag of my biscotti and that GB10... He did his best to straighten out the neck and replace the guard and set her up. I ordered a case from Guitar Center when they had a sale and got 10% off the case. I had some lady friends in the jewelry trade that did plating, I did a lot of stone re-polishing (in the mountings when possible) and we did a little trade, took the pickups apart and gave them the pickup covers to replate, it was no biggie. Had that guitar 5 years, played it at the convalescent homes all the time, it was my gig guitar du jour... Forced to sell it in '93 to put food on the table while in chef school. In 2001 came across an '81 blonde that a church fella had on eBay, got it for $1700.00 I think. Loved that guitar and for me that's about the bees knees of guitars. Looks like you've got a tuxedo strapped over your shoulder... Definite bucket list is another '78, a blonde GB20 and a GBY2K. Really thinking about getting one of the LGB30s in blonde when they come out.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, thank you all for your help and guidance. I found a 78 in tobacco sunburst in good condition and I am probably getting it.

User Info Menu

I got this today!! 78 GB10, it came with 11 flats. I will get it for a setup maybe try some 12fats.

I really like the neck, medium width nice feel, comfortable. Plus, the small body size makes it a bit easier to play. I like this small ES175-ish type of guitars.
    Warm but defined, sweet top end, rich overtones.
    I haven't heard the electric signal yet, my amp tubes died, so got to get a new set.

User Info Menu

The two guitars seem to go well together.
    Here are mine:

Ibanez GB10-p1070018-jpg

User Info Menu

Lovely looking!

User Info Menu

Are GB10s laminate or solid? I can't get consistent info on this...

they all say 'spruce top and maple back and sides'

the sound suggests solid wood construction as do the pickups

someone who knows tell me what its made of please!

thanks