The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 241

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Mea Culpa It's called the GB15. Made in a deep red with a single pickup. That one is the same size as the GB10 (and the GB10JS of course). They made them because they realized most players weren't playing a bridge pickup anyway, and guess what? Nobody bought them because buyers thought "Hell even if I never use it, it's less of a guitar if it doesn't have both pickups" and ultimately sales proved them to be a bad idea. Go figure.
    David
    Now I know which model you were referring to. That guitar was a good idea. Too bad it didn't catch on.
    Keith

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I duo sometimes with a friend who plays an older GB10. It has a great neck (for me), plays well with 12s and has a very nice tone with the stock (but older) pickups. It's a little on the heavy side for me but he loves it.

User Info Menu

The GB-10 has the arguably "best" neck profile of any guitar I've ever owned or played. Comfortable, easy to play and fast. It felt like driving a F1car.

The bridge p'up tone was not very good, but I've rarely used, if ever, in all the years I had it. It was strung with D'Addario 12-50 flatwounds and the tone produce by the neck p'up alone was to die for... if you liked George Benson tone, of corse, which I did.

HTH,

User Info Menu

I've had a GB10 since 1986. It's a great guitar with a fantastic neck and superb playability. It was my primary guitar for many years, up until I bought a 17" archtop. I am looking for a different sound and a different aesthetic, I guess. I still pull it out and take it to gigs every so often and it still sounds great. To the OP, lower that rear pickup and that will tame the shrill; also, the tone and volume knobs are helpful. Mine is a 1981 and the pickups are really hot; the newer ones have ceramics instead of alnico, though, so the older ones sound a bit warmer and softer to my ears.

I periodically think about selling the GB10 because I don't use it much, but it's hard to let go of a guitar I've had for almost 30 years...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I've had a GB10 since 1986. It's a great guitar with a fantastic neck and superb playability. It was my primary guitar for many years, up until I bought a 17" archtop. I am looking for a different sound and a different aesthetic, I guess. I still pull it out and take it to gigs every so often and it still sounds great. To the OP, lower that rear pickup and that will tame the shrill; also, the tone and volume knobs are helpful. Mine is a 1981 and the pickups are really hot; the newer ones have ceramics instead of alnico, though, so the older ones sound a bit warmer and softer to my ears.

I periodically think about selling the GB10 because I don't use it much, but it's hard to let go of a guitar I've had for almost 30 years...
    That's how I feel about my GB20 until I got my GB10, the size of the GB10 is just so comfortable to play and the neck is great on both the 10 and 20.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Now I know which model you were referring to. That guitar was a good idea. Too bad it didn't catch on.
    Keith
    Or you can buy it now with solid woods (arched, not carved), it's called the Fujigen MFA-FP. Same size, same features, same neck, slightly different look. The GB are made by fujigen, so it is something people should consider.

User Info Menu

I have played several GB10 guitars over the years, since the first year of their introduction. I strongly believe that the cat fight you are describing is due to the rock n roll gauge strings that are on the guitar. With a set of 12s (or preferably 13s) on the instrument, all three pickup combinations will come to life. I don't use the bridge pickup by itself too much on a guitar like that, but I routinely use the neck and neck/bridge combination settings. With suitable strings the GB10 sounds woody and has the quick attack/quick decay that a jazz guitar should have--especially the Japan-made instruments.

Make sure that the pole-piece screws aren't set too close to the strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    That's how I feel about my GB20 until I got my GB10, the size of the GB10 is just so comfortable to play and the neck is great on both the 10 and 20.
    Ibanez sure knows how to shape a neck.

User Info Menu

I own a 1990 GB10, I have had a Gibson 175 as well. I tried on the GB10 .010 .011 .012 Flat D'Addario strings and I got the best sound with .012. I still want to try .013 but I have three .012 set now to use before changing to .013.

I did not know about the bridge pick up settings (now going to play a little with it). This Monday I have my "first" jam session with my GB10 after 17 years I don't play it! (too long story, I moved to another country and I left it in my
    native country for 15 years, alone!!!)

Ok: VERY VERY IMPORTANT: there is another settings that dramatically change your sound:

it's the TWO BIG SCREWS in the tail: this two screws set the tension of the bridge over the top harmonic wood of the guitar, so the vibration of the guitar itself changes a lot.
    I had to spend a complete afternoon doing this setting (release string tension, change setting, tune the guitar, try, DO IT AGAIN).
    It go to "acoustic open sound" to "stopped, dark sound". You can set this different from the 3 bass strings to the 3 hight
    strings.
    I notice you can't set lot of difference between the two screw (the tension of the two part of the tail) because they
    influence each other, but I set the low frequency string to have a little more tension over the bridge to stop unwanted
    boomy effect while leaving the high strings with less tension over the top to get thad "high end acoustic sound" the small body of this guitar does need to have a good sound (on my taste).

Please note this settings also influence the feedback you have onstage (Larsen effect)

REALLY change the sound, don't forget it!!!

Bye, jazzkramer.
    Last edited by jazzkramer; 10-18-2014 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Love my GB10! 1) I never use the bridge pu. 2) it has THE best neck I've ever played.... fast, comfortable. I can play stuff on my GB10 that I can't play on anything else, at least not as effortlessly. 3) I've never messed with the tailpiece settings... hate to change something that's already working well, but maybe when I have a free afternoon.
    4) load it up with 13s, grab a fender medium or Dunlop .73 - instant Benson tone and response.

I wouldn't mind finding one of the GB15s (the single pu model, I think that's what it was) replace the black hardware with gold and have something slightly different. But my blonde GB10 will never leave... I would almost get rid of my L5 first, if I was broke and had to limit my guit-arsenal.

Don't give up!

User Info Menu

You're right about the neck - one of the best I ever played. I haven't completely given up on it yet.

User Info Menu

I don't remember the last time I read such unanimous praise for a single guitar. Are the new ones as good as the old ones ? Are there certain years to favor or avoid for the GB10 ?

User Info Menu

Mine is a 2002, I think. And, I think we figured out (through Jack Zucker) that at some point, the pickup design changed to a higher output, which mine definitely are.

I was just thinking this morning, if I had to survive with just a couple of guitars, I think I could do it with my GB10, a good Les Paul or 335, a Tele and my Godin nylon string. I could do almost anything with the combination, at least anything I'm interested in.

Some people don't like them, but I think they are an incredible steal. if they just made the same thing in a 17" body, same depth, I'd be even happier. But, the bigger bodied Ibanez' look a little strange to me. the cutaways and upper bouts have a weird contour, or something. I like the proportions of an L5, Johnny Smith, Sadowsky JH, etc.

Benson has that beautiful cherry finished medium depth archtop that looks likes like a slightly smaller bodied L5 - you can see him in pics with it from around 10 to 15 years ago. Looks perfect from all angles and its still an Ibanez, but not a production model that I recognize.

Please just buy the GB10. Life will be so much simpler afterwards!

User Info Menu

I got one while I worked at Ibanez. Love it. But the pickup sound wasn't great to my ear; lack of presence in the contemporary PU design. I had Duncan wind me a floater with '59 specs and it fit like a charm. It sounds as good as my Gibson Johnny and it's comfortable. Now if they'd make it in a 7...
    David

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about purchasing a gb10. After buying a eastman t386 I'm realizing I just want something more comfortable to play. The 14.5 body size of the gb10 seems like a logical option. I own an l5 as well and often will not play it while on the couch because it just doesn't feel comfortable in that situation.

So so it looks like a small bodied jazz guitar is on my list. Anyone with any thoughts that they could offer? The floating pickups are something I'm not quite sure about, but I can't argue with sounds George gets, I absolutely love his tones

User Info Menu

I have one and they have a great neck and the body is very comfortable.

User Info Menu

The Neck on my gb10 is very similar to the neck on my L5. Both guitars are exquisitely well built. Good luck in your search.
    2 other things..
    George Benson could put strings on a pile of dog shit and make it sound good.
    After you own both guitars, you will quickly realize just how great your L5 really is..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I have a 1981 GB10 that I've had since 1986. The neck is the equal of any guitar I have ever played and better than most. It's been utterly reliable for decades. The floating pickups are very hot, I usually run the volume knobs around 6-7. The tone you already know. I'd advise looking for a used MIJ example.

User Info Menu

Plugged, it is very versatile, very usable tone control. IMO needs string gauge 12 to resonate well.

User Info Menu

Half Brass and bone nut is not reccommended
    Better change to bone.
    I don't like small humbucker floating pick ups.
    I sold my gb10 and bought ibanez Pat Metheny PM100 one full size humbucker not floating.
    I like it more than GB10.
    althought the double cutaway is not feel comfortable.

User Info Menu

gB10, the tuxedo of guitars. Sine you are familiar with Eastman you might consider a t145 or a T184, the 145 being a 15 inch thin body fully carved spruce top, carved maple back, set in pickups. The T184 a 14 inch 335 style, carved maple top, carved mahogany back. Both great instruments.

i gigged with a GB10 for years thru an old Deluxe Reverb, man doesn't get much sweeter.
    Fully agree with what Joe Deniso said about George Benson.

User Info Menu

Thank you Mike.
    The GB10 is the anti-feedback machine too. Well designed. Probably exactly what you are looking for. Its a mini L5.

Thanks, Joe D.

User Info Menu

I have always liked the GB10--and I find the small, floating humbuckers to be quite good sounding. The Japanese-made examples I have played seemed to me to be a cut above the Korean examples, but it was a close call. Both versions were good, well made axes.

The guitar is a great-sounding, well made guitar. On the neck pickup, and using Tomastik-Infeld flatwound strings (a 12 or a 13 set), the guitar gets a VERY good jazz sound. The action and neck carve is just super.

User Info Menu

Here's one well played by one of Jimmy Bruno's students:

Last edited by boatheelmusic; 02-18-2015 at 05:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eventide
    Half Brass and bone nut is not reccommended
    Better change to bone.
    Why? Unless you're playing open strings the bone nut makes no difference in tone.