The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 169

User Info Menu

Curious as to whether you'd ever looked at a Johnson Millenium.

This was an expensive digital modeling amp that some claim was the best thing ever done. It was expensive ($2000) when it came out a bunch of years ago, but supposedly versatile and powerful, and far, far better than its cheaper sound-alikes.

The fellow, Scott Grove, at groovymusic.com was big on these for rock sounds. I frankly don't know what to make of him. He has a refreshing attitude about challenging some sacred cows in guitar and tone-land, but sometimes I think he is being sensationalist to draw traffic to his site. The Milleniums can be had now for little money ($4-500) but I'm not sure they're being supported anymore with any repair/restock capability.

(Part of me thinks all this stuff is like BMW 733 model that had people crashing the car because they couldn't figure out how to tune the radio, with all its gadgetry...but I'm a simple guy without your need for flexibility, and I guess if you can figure it out, and make it work, then its worthy of consideration, by anyone with similar needs.)
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 02-12-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add missing word "how"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another Kemper user here as well. I've owned mine since the original US release in early 2012. With the exception of one glitch after installing a early beta version, I've had no problem with it. It has a tree year warranty and from what I've heard the support is pretty good. I couple the Kemper with an Atomic CLR active monitor and I'm very pleased with the results. I still have a couple of tube amps (Fargen Marshall clone and a early SF Pro Reverb) a Genz Benz acoustic but I don't use them at all now.

As I said above, I had the Kemper for some time now and when it initially came out I wasn't ecstatic with the results. The firmware and software was still in development stage and I found the factory profiles kind of bla. In addition I was using this through an open back 2X12 cab via the effects loop of a tube amp I had at the time. Since then the firmware and software have undergone significant revisions and several companies stepped in to the commercial arena and began producing different amp and cabinet profiles. In addition, I dropped the 2X12 cab and amp and went with the Full Range Full Response (FRFR) speaker setup. No mind you, I haven't gone through as much gear as Jack has (no slight intended) but this has the moist satisfying piece of gear I've owned in a while.

I'm also a person who hates to mess with complicated menus and computer screens and the Kemper is pretty easy to use. Its very intuitive. In my case for my archtop use I'm using commercial profiles of a 64' Vibroverb (clean) or a 57' Pro Reverb (clean). The Kemper has a very good eq system and effects section so I just tweak those profiles to suit my ears. If I need to amplify my classical or flatops, I can either eliminate the amp block and just use the eq and effects i.e. delay and reverb. For home use though I generally use the same profile base that I use on my archtops and use different eq.

User Info Menu

I'll also second what Eric says about "touch". It responds like a tube amp. In the late 90's I brought a new Line6 Flextone (still have it in storage) and I heard the Johnson. Not close. The technology has really closed the gap.
    Last edited by rob taft; 02-12-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Double post when editing first post

User Info Menu

I remember there being another highly touted piece of modeling software on the market a few years back called Axe FX II that was getting a lot of positive reviews. Any ideas as to how that compares to this profiler? Are they related in any way or are we talking about completely different equipment intended for different use?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    I remember there being another highly touted piece of modeling software on the market a few years back called Axe FX II that was getting a lot of positive reviews. Any ideas as to how that compares to this profiler? Are they related in any way or are we talking about completely different equipment intended for different use?
    Before I bought my HD500X, I read a lot of reviews comparing AxeFx with Pod and Kemper had not come out or was just being talked about. I tried to read in between the lines and adjust for fandom stuff and decided that my ears would be totally fine with the Pod ($370 or close to that) whereas if I shelled out $1500+ for others, I might regret when I don't even use them to full potential because of my personal limitations and not needing too many gainy sounds. If it weren't for the ability of downloading patches made by Jim Soloway and others, I would have stayed with the older version of the Pod (2.0).

User Info Menu

All,

You owe it to yourselves to check out the Bias app by Positive Grid.

Endless amp and speaker tweaking possibilities in every stage of the amplification chain,,,,,

User Info Menu

Kempers are currently about £1200/$1800 new in the UK, compared to a typical digital amp (e.g. Fender Mustang) at less than £200/$300. To me the interesting question is: "Does the Kemper sound so good because it costs $1800, or does it cost $1800 because it sounds so good ?".

I guess what I'm really asking is whether the cost is in the hardware or the software. I suspect the latter.

Another way of looking at it is "how long will be it be before Kemper tone can be had for the price of a Fender Mustang ?"

User Info Menu

That discussion has been eternal - when wiil the Axe or the Kemper cost 500$? Software developing plus dsp prcessors are still expensive... there's a new product called Amplifire that promises that, let's see. In a way it's the same as asking when will an HRD sound like a blackface Twin Reverb... Good tube amps are also expensive, for a reason.

I had a POD HD, nice pedal for the price but not at comparable to the other two.

The cheapest (and lightest) way to get that sound if you only want one amp's sound is mine: barbq (150$) plus ms100bt (150$) plus epsi (200$). So 500$... it sounds pretty close to the big two but only one preamp. Each new one is at least 150-200 so if you want lots of them you might as well get one of them.

User Info Menu

Jack (or any other Kemper owner),

Does the Kemper came with a good range of amp models pre-loaded, or does one have to sort through the hundreds of User-modeled amps that are uploaded to the Kemper web site?

Thanks,
    Andy

User Info Menu

well the rumour or is it truth yet is that a kemper pedalboard for gigging muso's is in prototype or in testing phase.... i say rumour.... lots of internet chatter ,

Kemper system is perfect and will undoubtedly be industry standard gear for studio's now and in the near future...and yes possibly A-list session players would own one and may load one up with a selection of amps.......

however for the gigging musician and especially jazz guitarist .... it's awesome if you can afford one at current rates or absolutely GASSING for one BUT not quite essential .....most lets say working jazz guitarists take a few years finding their voice when it comes to amps then pretty much stick to what is "their sound" so for us i see a future in a hugely more cost effective and compact Kemper pedal with limited features and home editing software which can say dial in one perfect amp profile to gig with ... like the current modeller pedals that give one a blackface tone but now with the step forward in tech offer it as a profiling pedal ....

the future is happening here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maggles55
    Jack (or any other Kemper owner),

Does the Kemper came with a good range of amp models pre-loaded, or does one have to sort through the hundreds of User-modeled amps that are uploaded to the Kemper web site?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Hi Andy...the firmware updates have profiles included. There are also profiles grouped together called Rig Packs. The Kemper download site also has a wide variety of individual profiles made by users that are free (yes, you have to sort through them). There are commercially available profiles as well that are very good. Generally speaking, there is something for everyone's needs and tastes..

User Info Menu

Kemper is not releasing a cheap floor model but a remote controller... very different things.

I've been looking closely to the Amplifire. It allows 3rd party IRs so if the preamps / fx are good it should be perfect.

To me it's just not feel to me but current line6 and zoom fender tone stack emulations are really weird.. the eq respond nothing like a real amp would. In that department the Barb EQ is perfect!!

User Info Menu

The Kemper does sound appealing. If it's reliable, then I guess even $1600 or $2000 is not a big deal if a cheaper, better marketed alternative comes out from someone else. You still have a great product, and so you paid the money, but you still got what you wanted, and expected at the time.

I would be worried if it's not reliable....remember the VCR/Sony Betamax war?...most mavens thought the latter were a better product, but VCR won out....and Betamax buyers got a product that became unsupported/problematic to service. I suppose no one has a chrystal ball...I would be worried about what Fender's response might be...if they can't replicate/best it, maybe they'll just buy out Kemper down the line and use their marketing clout to expand availability.

User Info Menu

Just one more thought on money... people tend to confuse a relative concept (cheap vs expensive) and an absolute concept (lots of money vs just a few bucks). The kemper and the axe-fx are a lot of money but they're not expensive in my opinion, maybe even cheap considering all the possibilities they have. Size / weight is what keeps me away from them, not the price.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Just one more thought on money... people tend to confuse a relative concept (cheap vs expensive) and an absolute concept (lots of money vs just a few bucks). The kemper and the axe-fx are a lot of money but they're not expensive in my opinion, maybe even cheap considering all the possibilities they have. Size / weight is what keeps me away from them, not the price.
    like I said, i'm using at least $15,000usd on the amps that I'm currently switching between and I haven't even scratched the surface. I agree that it might seem like a lot of money if all you're using is a clean fender amp sound but at least this way your sound scales from bedroom to auditorium and whether or not the kemper gets 'rev'd', the current device is way more than good enough to last a lifetime. It's fidelity goes beyond the range of human hearing.

If you're worried about repairs, it's very modular like a computer and frankly with the increasing scarcity of vacuum tubes, you have to be thinking about stocking up on a lifetime of tubes if you've got a collection of tube amps because tubes are not long for this world (like film, cds, lps, etc)

User Info Menu

So, In terms of profiling, do you want the amp settings for the amp to be profiled to be as flat as possible? Does actual mic placement have any effect in terms of how the profile winds up?

typically you want the amp adjusted to how you play it. Then the tone controls and volume start with that as the normalized position but it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

And yes, mic placement matters although with the newest firmware I believe you can profile the amp separate from the cab without using a mic.

User Info Menu

So what "budget" pedal (<$300) could you put in front of the Alto and get 90% there? Is the Barber Barb your pedal of choice?

I tried to get an Ipad > FRFR setup to work and I could hear the lag/delay in the processing enough to make me nuts. Couldn't do it and was glad to only be out a few bones.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwiz
    So what "budget" pedal (<$300) could you put in front of the Alto and get 90% there? Is the Barber Barb your pedal of choice?

I tried to get an Ipad > FRFR setup to work and I could hear the lag/delay in the processing enough to make me nuts. Couldn't do it and was glad to only be out a few bones.

Thanks!
    Barber , kingsley Squire, Ethos Clean are all viable solutions. One problem is that the BarbEQ is no longer made but you can find it used.

P.S.

Jorge, sent you an email.

User Info Menu

Hey Jack this is probably a dumb question but..... Does the Kemper already come with amp profiles in it? And can you add amp profiles to what is already there? Thanks I always appreciate your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    Hey Jack this is probably a dumb question but..... Does the Kemper already come with amp profiles in it? And can you add amp profiles to what is already there? Thanks I always appreciate your knowledge.
    Yes it comes with a ton of amp profiles though truthfully I've hardly tried any of them. I tried a few and they reminded me of the types of things you get with a multieffect unit so I just bought a fender, marshall, matchless and two rock to get started since I knew what those amps sounded like and that was what I was going for originally.

Profiles are pretty cheap too. You can get profiles for $4.99USD each. The typical profile comes with a clean, semi clean and then a bunch of variations. I usually only load the clean and semi clean.

User Info Menu

Jack,

Which Profiling companies do you recommend (for clean like Fender and Ampeg)? I found a lot of them out there.

Thanks,
    Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    The Kemper is actually very cheap where I live, Switzerland... 1,500 swf. There are few acceptable tube amps at that price tag, eg a Mesa would be 2, 000. The x pod model is 650. Importing a Quilter maybe 1,200. I don't need the K right now, happy with a Yamaha THR, but it's probably in my future!

Quote Originally Posted by maggles55
    Jack,

Which Profiling companies do you recommend (for clean like Fender and Ampeg)? I found a lot of them out there.

Thanks,
    Andy
    my favorite is ampfactory. I bought a lot of mbritt profiles too but I seem to gravitate towards the ampfactory ones. At least of the fender, marshall, two rock, they are my favorites. Not as fond of the matchless and vox profiles from ampfactory. Need to go back and try the mbritt versions again.

I also bought profiles from several other companies like topjimi and some other indies but didn't bond with them as much.

User Info Menu

I have not played a Kemper, but I sold a house (I'm a realtor) that belonged to a Nashville are sessions guitarist and he had a Kemper is in home studio. He swore by it and said the Kemper had really changed the tones he is capable of getting, especially at home.

Here's a pretty good guitarist who uses the Kemper live He has profiled a many great amps, which can be purchased here... Kemper Profiles | M Britt Profiles. Michael Britt is the guitarist for Lone Star.

Pete Thorn playing a tune using Profiles from Micheal Britt...
    Last edited by Steve Z; 02-14-2015 at 10:26 AM.