The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

The original JazzKat amp model (110watts, 8-inch speaker, no tube) seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of this forum, but some folks still use them either as their main amp or a backup. The original BluesKat is nearly identical, other than the speaker. I have one of each!

I thought I'd start a thread for folks who still use the first JazzKat model to share insights, tips, field sightings, or anything else that might interest another user or help them get the most out of the amp. How many of you use an original JazzKat, at least occasionally?

Last edited by KirkP; 01-30-2015 at 04:39 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I still use mine and really like it. Bought it a long time ago from Jeff Hale.

Works well for me with all the settings at 12 o'clock plus a little reverb. I add my Barb EQ sometimes to add some warmth, but not really necessary. Some guitars seem to need it more than others.

Been a reliable, and easy to transport and EQ amp for me.

User Info Menu

Always wanted one especially the tweed model, but by the time I was in the position to do it they had discontinued the original. I like the size and the ones I've heard I liked the sound.

User Info Menu

It's the only amp I currently own! Mine is badly in need of a new shell, but I can't justify to spend money on an amp that doesn't leave my house. Sounds fantastic though, I am looking forward to getting a pickup for my Gypsy Jazz guitar down the road and seeing how the amp responds. I know that had a GypsyKat amplifier, but I've never seen one in person.

User Info Menu

Do I see a whizzer cone in there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Do I see a whizzer cone in there?
    I didn't know what a whizzer cone is, so I had to google it, and then I checked my JazzKat (the one in the OP is mine). You have a good eye, sir! There is a whizzer cone indeed.

I really like my JazzKat. It's not my first amp, but it's one I take with me very often when I play out. My main amps are tube amps, but the JazzKat is the solid-state amp I use to the most. Practical and light, it's easy to carry, it sounds very good, and it's easy to dial in the tone I want. Plus, the second channel with a balanced input can be useful for a small gig when I use a vocals microphone. When I play out, it is at community centres, benefits, and retirement homes, but not in rowdy clubs so I don't need super loud, and if I do, I mic or direct out the amp.

Since I purchased the JazzKat a couple years ago, my Henriksen JazzAmp 12 is not played anymore. The only reason I keep the Henriksen is that it's my amp that sounds best for a bass, although I very rarely play bass anymore.

Here is a view of the amp from the other side:

Last edited by Eddie Lang; 01-30-2015 at 10:29 PM.

I purchased a JazzKat identical to Eddie's when they first came out. My #1 amp is a Sound Island/VSA (Princeton on steroids), but the JazzKat is so light/compact and versatile I often grab it instead when I'm headed to a rehearsal.

The first generation JazzKats had an Eminence neo speaker with a whizzer cone, which is probably a full-range design. Apparently, some players thought it was too bright or harsh. Mine developed a slight buzzy distortion at certain frequencies and volume levels. A few months after starting production, JazzKat changed the speaker to a Celestion TN0820, a neo PA mid/woofer with no whizzer cone. JazzKat upgraded my amp to the Celestion.

There is a huge difference between these speakers! The Celestion is smoother and darker, but also less sensitive. I must turn the volume much higher than before to get the same volume level. That's not been a problem for me as the amp still gets plenty loud.

A few years ago I sniped a BluesKat on ebay for dirt cheap. Peeking in the cabinet, I discovered that it has exactly the same guts as my JazzKat, including the whizzer cone. So the BluesKat seems to be just a rebadged JazzKat with the discontinued speaker!

Having two JazzKats (with different speakers) tempted me to slave one amp off the other. With a 1/4" Y-adapter one can tap into the effects loop of one amp and send the signal to the effects return of the other amp. Configured this way, the master volume, tone controls and reverb settings of each amp are independent! With some tweaking of both amps you can get a nice surround-sound ambience which can be especially nice for solo or duo situations.

I'll add more thoughts later.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-31-2015 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

What year did they start production? Mine is a 2008.

When I got it, two years ago, I wrote to JazzKat with a couple questions about the amp. Marty replied the same day (it was a Sunday!), and he provided answers and more. Now keep in mind that I was getting a used amp and not buying from them. I thought that he was very gracious and it tells a lot about him and his company.

I bought my JazzKat in late 2006. Two years later I sent some questions to JazzKat, and they offered to update the electronics and cosmetics for free,and for small fee update the speaker. They were easy to deal with.

Then JazzKat came out with the AcoustiKat (with a tweeter) and Henriksen came out with the Tweety (a very small box containing an Eminence APT80 tweeter, passive crossover and level control). Tinkerer that I am, I acquired the Tweety, added a "tweeter out" jack to my Jazzkat, and experimented with it. It's turned out to be pretty handy when I want to extend the frequency response beyond the 4000Hz limits of the Celestion speaker for acoustic instruments, vocalists, or to add just a touch of sizzle to electric guitar. I usually end up with the Tweety's level control set near its minimum and a bit of treble cut on the amp as well. More than that and it becomes unnaturally bright.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-31-2015 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I picked up one of these used, great little amp. Same as the photos you guys posted. One question - When you plug into the line out, shouldn't the speaker be disabled? I tried both the 1/4" line out as well as the XLR out, and in both cases, the speaker continues to sound. Is there a way to disable the speaker when taking a line to another system? TIA!

User Info Menu

Just discovered this thread. Mine is an early model, no top handle. Great little amp with a big sound. Portable, versatile, articulate, with quite a tonal range; a nice palette of effects and plenty of volume make for a very useful tool. At jazz jams a violinist from a nearby symphony orchestra used to plug in to the second channel and was thrilled with the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB
    I picked up one of these used, great little amp. Same as the photos you guys posted. One question - When you plug into the line out, shouldn't the speaker be disabled? I tried both the 1/4" line out as well as the XLR out, and in both cases, the speaker continues to sound. Is there a way to disable the speaker when taking a line to another system? TIA!
    Congratulations! The line out taps the preamp output but doesn't cut the signal to the power amp. I if I'm playing a large room, I'll set the amp's volume to what I want to hear on the bandstand, and use the line out for the PA.

If you want to get a line-out while disabling the speaker, plus the PA into the effects send jack. That will cut the signal to the power amp.

I picked up a second used Jazzkat dirt cheap, so in a large venue I'll sometimes slave the two together by plugging a Y-cable into the line out and sending the signal to the line in of both amps. I can use different reverb settings on each amp to get a bit of a stereo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    At jazz jams a violinist from a nearby symphony orchestra used to plug in to the second channel and was thrilled with the sound.
    Funny, I've never been able to find a tone I liked on channel 2 for any instrument or microphone. I've tweaked the hell out of the EQ knobs and am never completely happy with the result. It does come in handy if someone wants to use a mic for a couple of tunes or for announcements.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-21-2017 at 12:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Funny, I've never been able to find a tone I liked on channel 2 for any instrument or microphone. I've tweaked the hell out of the EQ knobs and am never completely happy with the result. It does come in handy if someone wants to use a mic for a couple of tunes or for announcements.
    The violinist carried some sort of preamp with her. Perhaps that accounts for the tone. That and the nice "room" reverb setting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    If you want to get a line-out while disabling the speaker, plus the PA into the effects send jack. That will cut the signal to the power amp.
    KirkP, thanks for the reply. My goal is to get the EQ'd sound of the Jazzkat without the speaker being on. So you're saying I can get the sound of the JazzKat, if I use the effects send jack instead of the line out?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB
    KirkP, thanks for the reply. My goal is to get the EQ'd sound of the Jazzkat without the speaker being on. So you're saying I can get the sound of the JazzKat, if I use the effects send jack instead of the line out?
    Sorry, I just realized I'm wrong about that because the tone controls come after the effects return. The direct out is after the tone controls, but as you discovered doesn't cut the signal to the power amp.

Since it's a solid state amp I think it would be fine to disconnect the speaker, but to do that you'd need to remove the front grill and speaker then remove and tape off one speaker connector. It would be easy to add a switch on back of the amp for disconnecting the speaker. You'd want a high quality switch with a high current rating (15 amps to be on the safe side).

I wish Jazzkat were still in business so we could confirm that it's safe to use the amp with the speaker disconnected.

User Info Menu

I use my JazzKat AcoustiKat amp strictly as a rehearsal amp now.
    I took it to a rehearsal last week, and it started making a low pitched electronic noise that sounded like a fart.
    The piano player asked me what I ate for dinner.
    I guess I'll keep using it for small room rehearsals, but that's about it.
    When I told Paul Bollenback I was using one, he said it would make a nice coffee table.
    He was right.

User Info Menu

Hi All,

First time post. I was given a functioning original JazzKat yesterday by a friend who was moving. He told me and I confirmed that it makes a noise through the effect circuit.

Here is what I know:

1. The noise varies from a gurgle to wind-like sounds to the sound a ballon makes when there is a small hole in it. On one of the settings (do not recall which) it makes a motorboating sound like a tube amp with a bad capacitor sounds. (a fast putt-putt-putt).
    2. It increases or decreases with changing the gain knob next to the effects selector.
    3. It stays at a constant level with no guitar cable inserted in either channel. It does not change if you turn up/down the other volume/gain controls.
    4. It does not always happen but usually does.

I removed the cover and examined the circuit board. The putt putt sound I described above is usually because of a bad capacitor and the other sounds could possibly be from a bad capacitor in a tube amp. I identified 2 largish SMD caps in close proximity to an IC chip (WaveFront AL3102BG) that is responsible for the effects. That chip is still available. If the capacitors are connected to the chip that may be the source. Or if the chip went bad that could be the source of the sound.

Has anyone encountered this? If so, replacing the caps and/or the chip is pretty straightforward and would be at minimal cost. (Under 20 bucks).

User Info Menu

1) 2) Take the amp to a good tech and get it fixed, JazzKats are terrific jazz amps, and you won't regret the expense.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Thanks CitizenK74. I have fixed it. I am fairly adept at fixing things. I suspected that the noise I was hearing was related to a bad capacitor. I had heard that type of noise before and it relates to a cap going out of value or shorting out. This tends to either make the cap like a resistor or it allow DC voltage through. Both of which are bad.

I closely examined the circuit board through a magnifying glass and there were no obvious bad solder joints. I used a DMM to determine continuity between the negative of the 2 47uf SMD caps close to the IC responsible for the effects. I pulled the most likely capacitor and tested it and it was way off value. So, I replaced it with a capacitor I had on hand.

Problem fixed. No more noise. It is funny though to take a look at the cap I replaced it with compared to the one I replaced. They are equivalent values (roughly speaking). The little yellow tab is a 47uf capacitor. The blue thing is a 47uf capacitor.

Thanks. Easy fix and I hope this helps others who have similar problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images Original JazzKat club-capcomparo-jpg 

Not long after I bought my Jazzkat, I contacted the company with a question and they offered to update the circuit board for free even though I hadn’t experienced a problem. They didn’t explain why, but they recommended it so I accepted. I wonder if was due to quality control issues with the first generation boards, and perhaps the SMCs. I’ve never had a problem with my two Jazzkats.

I started this zombie thread, so I guess it’s okay to bring it back to life. I think a few of us still have Jazzkats and might be interested.
    I have both an original Jazzkat and Blueskat (identical electronics with different speaker). Both amps originally came with Eminence 8” speakers with whizzer cones for extended range. Whizzer cones tend to distort, and for electric guitar the extended range is unnecessary.
    A few years ago Jazzkat upgraded my Jazzkat with a Celestion TN0820 neo driver. I’m glad I did it—sounds great. The Blueskat is just a backup that I found used for dirt cheap, but I finally decided to upgrade its speaker. The Celestion TN0820 is OEM, so that’s not an option. I’ve seen a lot of recommendations on this forum for the Eminence Beta 8a, the specs look good, and the Jazzkat cabinet is very close to the volume Eminence recommends for it. I installed it today, and my first impression is great. It seems similar to the Celestion over most of the range, but the bass seems stronger and clearer. The Beta 8a is very reasonably priced. The only drawback is weight—it has a ceramic magnet, so adds about 4.3 lb to the amp’s weight. That’s not a problem for me since this is just a backup amp that will mostly stay at home.
    Here’s a group photo of:
    1-Original Blueskat neo speaker
    2-Original Jazzkat neo speaker
    3-Beta 8a

Bottom line: The Beta 8a seems well suited to the original Jazzkat amp.

I considered buying the coaxial version Beta 8CX so I’d have the option of extended range to use for acoustic guitar. But then I’d need to buy a driver for the tweeter, crossover, L-pad, and switch (to disable the tweeter when I don’t want it). That would have added significant cost and weight. My Henricksen Tweety (now discontinued) does the same job. If I didn’t already have the Tweety I might have gone that route.
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-03-2018 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Ingeneri nailed it. The JazzKat gets a good, modern Polytone sound going on. With the 8" speaker that's a great thing.

I'd use a JK in a minute.

User Info Menu

Somehow, the problem i was having with my JK AcoustiKat resolved itself on its own, and it's turned out to be a pretty solid rehearsal amp. It's the only amp I have left that I carry, without having to use my little fold up cart.

After sniping a Blueskat on ebay a few years ago and confirming that the only difference from a Jazzkat was the speaker, I decided to experiment with dual amps. I used the effects send & return jacks to slave one amp from the other. Attached is a block diagram for my dual Jazzkat setup.
    Original JazzKat club-dual-jazzkat-setup-jpg
    (Typo: The right side should be labeled "Jazzkat 2")

Of course this method can be used on any amp with an effects loop, but other amps might place the tone stacks and onboard effects in different locations in the block diagram so might operate a bit differently.

For the simplest setup just buy or make a Y-cable to connect the SEND of the master amp to the RETURNs of both amps. Then the preamp from the master will drive both amps. I was surprised to discover that the tone stack and onboard reverb stages on the Jazzkat are after the RETURN. That gives you the option of giving each amp different EQ and reverb settings. You also have the option of placing the amps side by side, pointing them in different directions, or placing them in different locations in the room. I have different speakers in each, which adds to the stereo effect. For even more of a surround sound effect you can replace the Y-cable with a stereo reverb, chorus or even a rotary speaker pedal. I've tried a number of variations and it can be pretty cool. I tend to be a minimalist on effects, but dialing in just bit of stereo reverb can really fill a room.

The diagram also shows where I sometimes connect a Henriksen Tweety. I usually set its L-pad near the minimum to add a bit of life above 4 KHz where the woofers start dropping off, but not loud enough to sound like a tweeter is in the mix.

I rarely want to drag two amps around, but I'll sometimes set things up this way if I'm playing with a loud band, in a large room, or in a smaller room for a special occasion. With the tweeter dialed up a bit more it’s also nice for acoustic guitar.
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-03-2018 at 11:49 PM.