The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 228

User Info Menu

I've been playing a D'Angelico EX-SS. It's a great sounding guitar, and I thought it would be my go to for quite some time. However, my friend, who is an astoundingly better player than I am owns an L5 and I had the opportunity to play it the other day. You know how amazing it feels to just connect with a guitar. I felt that. What a beautiful looking guitar. Not only that, but it was so smooth to play. My runs were faster and cleaner. Finally, the tone was out of the world. So my question is did I just feel that way because it was my first time playing a really high end instrument or is it really that good in your opinion. Somebody please talk me out of buying one before I break the bank. My wife wouldn't be very happy about that!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well, you're comparing a 15" wide plywood guitar to a carved top 17" guitar, so it's really not a fair comparison.
    but yes, they're really that good.

User Info Menu

The answer to your question is "no". Invest in a good setup and amp and you're 90% there...other than the "mystique" factor.

There is very definitely a law of diminishing returns with guitars. Pay heed or pay the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bharshman56
    I've been playing a D'Angelico EX-SS. It's a great sounding guitar, and I thought it would be my go to for quite some time. However, my friend, who is an astoundingly better player than I am owns an L5 and I had the opportunity to play it the other day. You know how amazing it feels to just connect with a guitar. I felt that. What a beautiful looking guitar. Not only that, but it was so smooth to play. My runs were faster and cleaner. Finally, the tone was out of the world. So my question is did I just feel that way because it was my first time playing a really high end instrument or is it really that good in your opinion. Somebody please talk me out of buying one before I break the bank. My wife wouldn't be very happy about that!
    maybe you just bonded with that Guitar

ie another L5 will be different

User Info Menu

Answer's yes. They aren't "big bucks". Insist on one with great figuring, do not compromise on that last point.

User Info Menu

I'd say no, for me that too much of that price is for Gibson name, famous model, and collectors value. Now is an L5 a good guitar yes, quality woods, a lot of hand craftsmanship, an established formula. Can you get a good hand made Jazz box from others for less money yes and that's my point. Heritage, Hofner, and a list of others make great guitars that play and sound as good. There a lots of excellent luthiers these days that will custom build you a great guitar for less. Where is the difference for a player is when/if you grow tired of the guitar it won't be as easy to sell as a Gibson.

User Info Menu

Hmm? You can get one heck of a lot of jazz guitar for less. Having said that...the L5CES is THE jazz guitar. The tone of the L5CES is truly iconic. (They look great, too.) Gibson asks a lot for them, these days, but you can shop around and get a used one for about half that.

You will play better than you did before.

User Info Menu

That question can only be answered by each person individually. There is NEVER an answer to the question of "worth".

If I was going to buy a high end guitar that wasn't custom built specifically, I'd buy one of these before an L-5..

Yes it's a 16" body not 17" but the MSRP is $4K less than an L-5 and I on't see an extra $4K of "worth" in an L5...but that's just me.

Is the Gibson L-5 worth the big bucks-3-jpg
    Last edited by Flyin' Brian; 01-26-2015 at 09:40 PM.

User Info Menu

In my case, For a long time I wondered the same thing. I took a shot because I am the most materialistic person I know. To me that was the pinnacle of a Jazz guitar. I figured, when I finally bought one, I would never buy anything else. That was 3 months ago. Since then, I've bought 2 other guitars. I play the L5 very infrequently. But I can tell you with 100% confidence, I got it out of my head, and I am happy I did. And, I am extremely happy with the Guitar. It is a beautiful, durably built incredible sounding work of art that is without question the best Player I own. To me, its worth every penny. And it STILL is the pinnacle of a Jazz guitar.
    I don't be-grudge anyone else of their opinion. Some people will think I am nuts and they are right because I am. But I am a happy nut. And that is why I play and collect guitars. To make me happy.

JD

PS. Next up, Ribbecke Halfling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    That question can only be answered by each person individually. There is NEVER an answer to the question of "worth".

If I was going to buy a high end guitar that wasn't custom built specifically, I'd buy one of these before an L-5..

Yes it's a 16" body not 17" but the MSRP is $4K less than an L-5 and I on't see an extra $4K of "worth" in an L5...but that's just me.

Is the Gibson L-5 worth the big bucks-3-jpg
    What is that guitar? It is so beautifully flamed.

User Info Menu

It's a friggin' L5. Of course it's worth it.

These conversations are stupid..."xxx guitar does everything an L5. does and it costs xxx less." Fine. But it's not an L5.

My house is bigger than most of 'em in Lahaina, but it ain't 4 blocks from the beach in Hawaii.

User Info Menu

Yep

User Info Menu

Quote:

"The answer to your question is "no". Invest in a good setup and amp and you're 90% there...other than the "mystique" factor.
    There is very definitely a law of diminishing returns with guitars. Pay heed or pay the price."

I whole-heartedly disagree.

I've played and owned many a guitar - the L-5 is the King, playability, ergonomics, inspiration, tone, and then looks.
    Once you've played the best, I'm sorry, it's a long long time before finding another that compares. And you will know it when you do find it cause it will hit you right in the middle! There is a reason the iconic guitars are iconic.

If you find something else that compares, then great, more power to you. The hunt is fun and soul-revealing. If you save some money, even better. There are so many guitars out there. I've played some top luthiers' models, nice - but pricey as well. And they didn't grab me like my L5.

But you have to look. A lot! How about a 1961 Vintage Guild Starfire III? Plenty of good playing and great tone there, for under $2K

User Info Menu

I thought I was done looking at guitars when I bought my Byrdland. Then I played an L5 Wes. This is no way a knock on the Byrdland. It's played regularly. But..the L5 is absolutely what I expected it should be.

Get it. You won't have any regrets. And for the wife. LOUIS VUITTON | Select Your Country.

Is the Gibson L-5 worth the big bucks-roomates_gib-jpg

User Info Menu

The L5 is worth it!

Especially if you can make it cry like Rocky Gresset on this improv.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4thstuning
    The answer to your question is "no". Invest in a good setup and amp and you're 90% there...other than the "mystique" factor.

There is very definitely a law of diminishing returns with guitars. Pay heed or pay the price.
    Interesting comments. This "law of diminishing returns" that you speak of. it's kind of new to me. Could you explaing that further? Thanks.

User Info Menu

I got that reference.. 'law of diminishing returns'. Usually it means that beyond a certain point, you're getting less and less as you throw more money at something.

As many have said, this is crazy subjective. So, tuning in my myopic world view for a moment, I can't see where buying a new L5 would make economic sense. Could see a used one since there always seems be someone out there willing to pay for 'iconic'. Of course, I'm not in that camp. I'll pay for top quality woods, hand carving, a well done nitro finish (ahem), great playability, and the best hardware available even if I have to install it myself. But I won't pay for a name or a history unless it actually translates to what comes out the amp.

Of course, in the case of a custom instrument the rules are a little different. It's worth paying to have the guitar your way and to enjoy that level of craftsmanship. And you know, I don't think you would lose any more on a custom from a good maker than you would on a brand new L5 if you ended up selling it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I got that reference.. 'law of diminishing returns'. Usually it means that beyond a certain point, you're getting less and less as you throw more money at something.

As many have said, this is crazy subjective. So, tuning in my myopic world view for a moment, I can't see where buying a new L5 would make economic sense. Could see a used one since there always seems be someone out there willing to pay for 'iconic'. Of course, I'm not in that camp. I'll pay for top quality woods, hand carving, a well done nitro finish (ahem), great playability, and the best hardware available even if I have to install it myself. But I won't pay for a name or a history unless it actually translates to what comes out the amp.

Of course, in the case of a custom instrument the rules are a little different. It's worth paying to have the guitar your way and to enjoy that level of craftsmanship. And you know, I don't think you would lose any more on a custom from a good maker than you would on a brand new L5 if you ended up selling it.
    Yeah . . I knew exactly what 4thstunning meant. I just wanted it explained as it relates to the L5. Diminishing returns? I paid $4,700 for my L5CES brand new back in 1994. Today, I could probably sell it for 40% to 50% more than I paid for it, given its still like new minty condition. I've had the wonderful, but intangible joy of owning it for 20 years. I've had the wonderful joy of playing it (some) during that 20 year period. Not sure where the diminishing returns come in to play here.?.?

I've been involved in one form or another in music and the music industry since I was 16 years old. In a few years from now, that will have been 50 years. During that time, I've experienced many wonderful times and things. None top the joy I've had owning my L5CES. The closest I can think of, was a chick that walked into the band room behind the stage at one of our gigs when I was on break. I just want to say thank you to God for sending her back there. I'm sure he'll remember her . . because she kept screaming out his name. (OK, movie buffs. Name the movie that line came from) :-)

User Info Menu

A League of their Own!

User Info Menu

If you have the cash and you love archtop guitars it's definitely worth it .... if you don't ... well maybe not ....

your financial health is a part of the question that only you can answer ... balanced with your other life priorities

Yes, you can get some other great makers for less ..... and you can get some other makers for more ... much more

Compared to Benedetto or Monteleone or Manzer ... a new Gibson L5 is a bargain .... they may be better guitars ... but at their prices they better be

you will also have a much better chance of finding an L5 to try before you buy ....

but the small builder's guitars can be hard to get your hands on without buying one .... of course that can be a fun thing to do as well ... if you have the money ... especially when used ones come on the market

Until you actually get your hands on something all you have to go on are internet reviews

good luck ... I love my L5CES and my L5WES

User Info Menu

There is a discussion on financial returns that's kind of boring as it involves compound interest returns versus however much a given guitar might appreciate or depreciate. However, most people already know guitars are not investments so we can spare that horse. As for the bringing us joy part, does a more expensive guitar necessarily make us happier than a guitar that meets all our needs but costs less? For some I'm sure it matters a lot and there's certainly nothing wrong with that pursuit, but for me, I think of features and sound when I think about archtop guitars worth getting excited about. Not brand or cost.
    Last edited by Spook410; 01-27-2015 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

It's up to you, go try as many as you can try and form an opinion and see which one you'd rather have, the l5 or the cash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    What is that guitar? It is so beautifully flamed.
    Looks to be a Collings Eastside LC.

User Info Menu

It IS a Collings Eastside LC, for sure. I'm the owner of a deluxe model

User Info Menu

If you really want a particular guitar L5CES or whatever then the cost doesn't really come into it, if you want it badly enough then it's worth it IMO.