The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

I built an orange squeezer for more knopflerish stuff. I get the cluck and a bit of dirt out of it as a boost. I usually turn it off for jazz but I do love it (cept that it is center positive which I hate). Agree that the ears get final say.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmiz
    No , a compressor used right can actually increase your dynamic range. Also Bring out components in your guitar that you never heard.
    There's no way a compressor can increase your dynamic range. It brings out things you weren't able to hear before precisely because it makes soft things louder.

User Info Menu

The best application for a compressor is in a noisy environment. One reason pop music is so compressed is for listening in a car or a noisy gym. Recordings with a lot of dynamic range (e.g., classical) are nearly unlistenable in those environments unless you keep one hand on the volume knob to be your own compressor.

When performing in a noisy venue the situation is much the same. To compensate, the options are avoiding use of dynamics in your playing (which can detract from expression), riding a volume control (a volume pedal or the guitar's knob) and/or a compressor. For a low-noise concert venue I always prefer to hear performers without compression.
    Last edited by KirkP; 12-10-2015 at 02:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    There's no way a compressor can increase your dynamic range.
    Exactly. It's part of the definition of a compressor that it will _decrease_ the dynamic range.

However, I do like Hjalmiz's idea of mixing a compressed signal to the "dry" one in parallel (although--nitpick, nitpick--it's probably not a matter of "dry" versus "wet" but of "unprocessed" versus "processed"). That requires a bit of rethinking because compressors aren't normally used this way (just like you wouldn't use EQ this way--another interesting thought). I imagine that this could indeed solve a number of problems.

User Info Menu

Question to those in the know: the tube amp/speaker simulation in DI pedals like SansAmp, is it just a built in compressor really? Sometimes I wonder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    There's no way a compressor can increase your dynamic range. It brings out things you weren't able to hear before precisely because it makes soft things louder.

"Exactly. It's part of the definition of a compressor that it will _decrease_ the dynamic range.

However, I do like Hjalmiz's idea of mixing a compressed signal to the "dry" one in parallel (although--nitpick, nitpick--it's probably not a matter of "dry" versus "wet" but of "unprocessed" versus "processed"). That requires a bit of rethinking because compressors aren't normally used this way (just like you wouldn't use EQ this way--another interesting thought). I imagine that this could indeed solve a number of problems."

So Fidelcaster, you are ofcourse familiar with high end compression units Like for example the Origin transformer compression amp box ? If not , then go try one before making asumptions about functionality and how guitar comp pedals normaly is used.

Palindrome, this way of using compression is not that unusual in the studio world. Ive used this for recording drums and acoustic guitar .

Anyways, good luck with the pedal hunt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Question to those in the know: the tube amp/speaker simulation in DI pedals like SansAmp, is it just a built in compressor really? Sometimes I wonder.
    I think the tube amp part is just an ss circuit that has some grit / compression in it's design but it's not a compressor per se. The speaker simulator is probably just a low pass filter.

User Info Menu

Some compressors that have the parallel blend feature are the Barber and the Wampler. I still dislike them for jazz although some people (like Kurt Rosenwinkel) can make them sound incredible.

User Info Menu

I use it very sparingly. No question it effects your personal dynamics. It effects they way you play. I'll use them more in recordings after the fact to even out the transients. But live if you're using it to even those spikes out - MY technique just gets all messed up. I'm not actually playing what I'm hearing. The compressor is doing that work.

That said you can get some great sounds. A limiter might also be great. It puts a brick wall on the highest spikes and leaves those below it alone.

User Info Menu

In my (limited) experience, I always seem to get some unwanted abrupt reactions from compressors while playing, simply because they cannot look into the future (I'm aware that compression gets applied to tracks and, of course, entire mixes, but, as Henry has said, that's after the fact, so you can use various ploys to eliminate these unwanted reactions).

Actually, I like to think of the "sag" involved in tube rectification as a more musical kind of compression (while playing) because the sag kicks in _before_ the signal reaches the speaker, which is something that a compressor cannot do (if that makes any sense).

User Info Menu

I don't think the degredation of sound on youtube videos should be defined as compression. It's a completely different sonic phenomenon. I believe the term is dithering. People say that an MP3 compresses a song into a 5mb file but that using the term in a different context. that's not audio compression - more like digital dithering, and totally different from what happens in the audio compression.

User Info Menu

The only reason I bought my compressor pedal is after the forum friends (and the company itself) recommended it for optimizing the sound of the Electro-Harmonix B9 and K9 pedals. I like only the inherent compression obtained from tube overdrive and the slight compression that my Polytone generates in the jazz or blues context. Otherwise, it limits the range of musical expression as agreed by many here.

User Info Menu

There is so much compression out there, we are used to it - and it can also be why live music sounds so different. Vitually all media we are experiencing in our daily lives is compressed to some extent (and reverb added to some extent). You'll never hear a news reader or DJ talking without them having comoression and reverb applied. And for adverts the compression goes way up to make them sound loud. So if you want to sound loud in a noisy club, then compression might be part of the answer - but used like that, it will also kill any dynamics bringing everything to the same sound level (including clicks and string scratch). Its another tool you might want to use, although live I wouldn't spend a lot. Maybe one of those TC Electronics micro boxes with download patches - one nice sound that fits you and an on off button. Personally I can see its use for rhythm guitar because it gives you a very tight level sound which keeps it in the background, but not really for lead lines
    Last edited by ChrisDowning; 12-11-2015 at 05:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I have heard guitarists use compressors and get really good tone out of them.

I borrowed a friend's and had a hard time getting a tone that didn't sound squashed.

Do you use one? Which one do you like?

User Info Menu

Very happy with Mooer Yellow Comp, pretty transparent to me...

Anyone using a compressor pedal for jazz?-mooer-yellow-comp-jpg

User Info Menu

I think we discussed this before

My usual recommendation is to go to Ovnilab.com and read about the different types first.

For jazz I find that a subtle always on optical compressor works best for me. My choice is the Maxon CP101. The comp ratio is 4:1.

User Info Menu

The wampler ego is good. To be transparent, you either need to actually know how to operate a compressor, or get one with a blend knob.
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone using a compressor pedal for jazz?-wampler-ego-compressor-jpg 

User Info Menu

my favorite is the one that is off

but yeah, an optical, i guess. as gently as possible. i like the ones with the lights and meters so i can see what it is doing. then i move the level knob until the lights don't come on. i'm not against compressors, per se. i just usually save that for recording and stuff. don't play with it, but if it is a free add in with a pedal (i have a few that do) then sure, a little bit. i think the fishman i use has a 2:1 ratio, or something crazy low like that. maybe 4:1 or so is as high as i'll go. i don't like the clicky, poppy, spanky, pedal steel or squished sounds for the most part.

User Info Menu

Empress (lots of features) and Xotic SP (very small footprint) also have blenders and get great reviews.

User Info Menu

The Keeley Compressor Pro comes close to a rack mount compressor including make up gain. It is always on when playing my Tele, not so much much with humbuckers.

Anyone using a compressor pedal for jazz?-keeley-compressor-pro-jpg

User Info Menu

I really dislike them for almost everything except a couple of effects, and some recording utility. I use a 4-knob keeley for these that's pretty transparent if thats your thing, and very functional with the 4 controls as well.

The two school of thoughts in compressor pedals seem to be, either transparent or boxes that color your sound a bit. I prefer the first one..

User Info Menu

I bought the TC Electronics HyperGravity a while back, it has blend knob + editing software and a shared user preset library via "tone print". Typically I do not leave it on for clean jazz sounds, though if I get time to experiment more I may expand how it gets applied.

The only other comp pedal I've kept is the first one I bought, the MXR DyanComp, purchased back when they were originally introduced.
    In those days of my youth, the squashed and pumping comp signal pushing my Strat thru an early UniVibe seemed pretty cool.. Now I still have both of those devices, but just for nostalgia, as they're too noisy and outdated. They're on the shelf next to my Korg guitar synth

I'm currently building a new pedal board, and had to decide whether to include the TC HyperGravity Comp. It did make the cut, I figure it has a place (now after the dirt pedal) and I think there is enough flexibility there to leave the dynamics less molested (my main complaint for any compression on live rig.)

Anyone using a compressor pedal for jazz?-tc-electronic-hyper-gravity-jpg

User Info Menu

I dislike compression on an otherwise dry signal with little additional sound (i.e. playing solo or with minimal accompaniment).

I like compression on a wet (reverb, delay, &c.) signal or when playing with dense accompaniment.

For me compression is a tool to be audible without having to crank your volume. But for jazz, I don't need it mostly. If I'm playing an archtop, the whole reason is usually because of the attack dynamics of an archtop (strong attack, quick delay).

I have the Empress Comp. I had considered selling it to the the Cali67 Compact Deluxe based on reviews, but I don't use compression enough to bother.

User Info Menu

Amplitube 4 Custom Shop (aka the free version) comes with two compressor emulations, one probably based on the Digitech Red pedal compressor and the other based on the MXR Dyna Comp pedal.

I use both, the Red for arpeggio- and chord-work and the D-Comp for single note, clean, soaring leads.

They both work flawlessly. Some tweaking required. YMMV.

User Info Menu

I probably own a dozen compressors or more. I hate squishy (Ross or Boss) compressors but I like the ones that are subtle and add a bit of sparkle and sustain. The single best compressor, that IMHO hardly has any competition on the pedal market, is the Origin Effects Cali76. That is a seriously nice piece of equipment that is definitely pro level. David Gilmour probably likes compression more than most guitarists and his choice on the last tour was the Cali76. (I have no affiliation with the company or any other whatsoever, I am just convinced of that product)