The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a new Roland Cube 80. It's somewhat similar to the Cube 60 and Cube 30 with some more bells and whistles obviously.

Anyway, I'm wondering what your favorite settings are for your Cube Amps (or other amps that might have similar settings).

I have both a semi-hollow (Samick/Bennett Royale) and an Archtop jazzbox clone guitar (Samick / Bennett Lasalle)...

Looking for advice on your favorite settings, there are a bunch of options:

LEAD CHANNELS (9 COSM amp types): Acoustic, Black panel (Fender Twin Reverb), DLX (Fender Delux Reverb), Brit Combo (Vox AC-30TB sound); Classic Stack (Marshall JMP); Metal stack (Peavey EVH 5150); R-Fier Stack (Mesa Boogie Rectifier); Dyna Amp.

Which of the above do you like the best for semi-hollow and archtop sound??.

Instead of the above Lead Channels there's also a JC-120 Clean Channel which I presume is modelled after the Jazz Chorus.

Also, how much of the following do you use: Presence, Reverb (have both spring and plate options), and the following effects: Flanger, Phaser, Chorus, and Tremolo.

Both guitars are dual pick-up humbuckers..

Thank you for your suggestions !!
    Last edited by Dirk; 01-14-2020 at 08:17 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

may i ask how much did you buy your set for? a discounted price? may i ask where? amazon? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fast1
    may i ask how much did you buy your set for? a discounted price? may i ask where? amazon? thanks
    Hey Fast...

I've bought several guitars over e-bay but decided to buy the amp at a good music shop in case I had a problem with the electronics I'd have a place to return it to.

Plus the Cube-80 has only been out for a year so most models are new priced anyway. The retail price I got without tax was $419.00 U.S.

I looked at the discontinued Cube-60 but new they are just a few bucks cheaper (around $370 or so), and for 50 bucks more you get a bit more with the Cube 80 I think.

User Info Menu

I have a Cube 30x, though I modded the speaker so it would be more jazz friendly so these settings may not translate. Bass between 10 and 11o'clock, mid and treble at 12 o'clock, sounds fine on the jc120 clean channel, very suitable for jazz. Also the Blackface model with the gain turned up just until it would almost distort (which for me is up to around 2-3'oclock, depends on your guitars output) sounds pretty good. It looks like there is no Tweed model, that is another one I like on the 30x.

I have messed around with your amp at a store and did not like the presence knob at all - luckily for me it is not on the 30x. Sometimes I will use delay instead of reverb at it's slowest setting, if I use chorus it is also at it's slowest setting. Reverb at what is 3'clock on the 30x but not sure if that will translate to your amp either.

For fusion I like to use the classic model just enough to slightly distort and optionally chorus on top.

These settings both work well for my Eastman and my Telecaster, but again I think the modded speaker helps a lot. One reason I decided to go with/stay with the cube30x was because it is a 10" and the Eminence Delta Demon is 10"...great speaker.

User Info Menu

I have a Royale 3 and an Aria hollow body FA71 with a cube 20x for practice. I like the clean and chorus, eq with bass rolled off some, mid and treble 4/5 o"clock, neck pickup only with the Samick. The Aria has a Kent Armstrong floater at the neck and I use the lead, acoustic, reverb combination with that.

User Info Menu

i like: JC Clean Model

bass: noon

mid: 2 o'clock

high: 10 o'clock

presence & reverb to taste.

roll off a little tone on the guitar, neck pickup, good, dark-ish modern jazz tone.

User Info Menu

I use JC, acoustic and Blackface channels.
    Bass: 5
    Middle: 5
    Treble: 5 to 7
    Presence: 5 to 7
    Gain for acoustic and Blackface: 3 to 5 (bass down to 3-4).
    Reverber: just a little
    No other effects
    Guitar:
    Strings: 12-16-22-30-40-50 flatwound
    Neck PU
    Volume: 10
    Tone:4-6
    Great amp.

Thanks alot for your thoughts on settings!

Do you guys use the SAME settings for both Semi-Hollows and Jazzboxes? Or do you alter the settings somewhat ?

Also, do you switch to dual pickups or just one pickup or ???????????

Thank you !!

User Info Menu

Between my Tele and Eastman I use very close to the same settings on the Roland, but not on my Polytone or Henriksen oddly enough. Neck pickup on both guitars for jazz.

User Info Menu

Cube 60 with a 'Jazz' guitar:
    JC Clean - no bright switch - Rhythm - Volume at 9 O'Clock
    Black Panel - lead - gain at 9 O'Clock - Volume at 9 OClock plus 2 ticks
    Bass at 12 O'Clock, Mid at 3 O'Clock, Treble at 9 O'Clock, Presence at 12 O'Clock minus 2 ticks. Reverb at 3 O'Clock.
    If you like the sound of the JC Clean channel for lead, you can use the Acoustic model for rhythm.
    For Blues, I sometime use the Tweed model (Presence goes up to 12 O'Clock) for lead and the JC Clean - with the bright switch on - for Rhythm.
    Once in a while, I'll add a touch of tremelo or switch to a combination of slight chorus and delay. I never use the other models, except just to fool around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Between my Tele and Eastman I use very close to the same settings on the Roland, but not on my Polytone .
    yeah, no, even though i always consider the cubes as "poor man's polytone's" (as if polytone's were actually expensive ) they EQ very diffeently...

my polytone's tone controls are pretty much dead flat (depending on the room), all tone gets adjusted from my guitar. love that amp.

as for using different guitars/different settings, of course. at best, you can consider all of our reccomendations as starting points--you'll need to tweak to match your guitars--and i can't stress this enough!--the room. every room is different. what sounds good in your carpeted living room might sound totally different at a gig...so don't fall in love with one setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Cube 60 with a 'Jazz' guitar:
    JC Clean - no bright switch - Rhythm - Volume at 9 O'Clock
    Black Panel - lead - gain at 9 O'Clock - Volume at 9 OClock plus 2 ticks
    Bass at 12 O'Clock, Mid at 3 O'Clock, Treble at 9 O'Clock, Presence at 12 O'Clock minus 2 ticks. Reverb at 3 O'Clock.
    If you like the sound of the JC Clean channel for lead, you can use the Acoustic model for rhythm.
    For Blues, I sometime use the Tweed model (Presence goes up to 12 O'Clock) for lead and the JC Clean - with the bright switch on - for Rhythm.
    Once in a while, I'll add a touch of tremelo or switch to a combination of slight chorus and delay. I never use the other models, except just to fool around.
    Thanks for this great list.... Which Reverb are you using? SPring or Plate ?

User Info Menu

You're welcome! These are sort of my universal jazz settings; they work with a Tele on the neck pickup with the tone rolled down about 1/4 turn, too! Sorry, the Cube 60 (which I have) doesn't give you a choice of reverb types - it's just got one variety.

User Info Menu

Have a Cube 60 and use the Clean channel mostly, though will move to the COSM voices (usually Tweed, occasionally Brit Combo) for more outgoing solo sounds, with the gain at 9.30 and then adjusted along with the volume as applicable for the room.

Tone controls set at 11 o'clock (bass), 3 o'clock (middle) 9 o'clock (treble), almost no presence, one notch of reverb. Used to use the inbuilt FX but now have a Boss multi-fx so will occasionally set up a different delay setting and alternate with the Boss unit..

User Info Menu

Is this amp able to produce a warm tone ?

(compared to a fender jazzmaster ultralight for example ?)

(if you can give me an answer soon it will be much appreciated, because I was about to buy a JazzMaster Ultralight (I have a bid on an auction ending tomorrow ... ) but the Roland 80x seems to be interesting for a cheap price ... but i don't know if it can produce a really warm tone ?? )
    Last edited by TK_AK; 10-12-2009 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TK_AK
    Is this amp able to produce a warm tone ?

(compared to a fender jazzmaster ultralight for example ?)
    Do you think a warm tone from Cube 30?

Yes, definitively! Cube is very warm amp, especially on clean channel with just a little reverb and touch of tremolo you can compare Cube with Fender Vibro Champ Silver Face. I had this Fender and Cube have same clean and very warm sound just like Silver Face.
    But I can`t compare Cube with Jazzmaster because I never try it.
    New Cube need a few day of playing that you breaking speaker, because first few days new speaker is stiff.
    Last edited by YocoYur; 10-12-2009 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much YocoCur !

(if someone also knows the sound of the jazzmaster ultralight please tell me what you think about this ...)

User Info Menu

It seems we can get a good jazz sound out of this

( the player is really good by the way ...)

Roland seem to be the only brand that understand the internet marketing ... but their products seems genuinely good.

I will go for the cube 80x ...

User Info Menu

Look at (listening) this, whole tune was played on the Cube 20 X. Wonderful tunes and sounds.

Last edited by YocoYur; 10-16-2009 at 03:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Now I have my 80x, great ! Really easy to tweak compared to my rocktron voodu valve And its sounds way better. I can get pretty interesting sounds ... it also seems very versatile.

Great amp for little money.