The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41
    Anyone have experience with the DeArmond X-155? Opinions and comments appreciated.

DeArmond X-155-dearmond-x-155-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Haven't owned one, but have played one, and found it to be a very nice playing and sounding guitar. At it's price level it had good build quality. It had a scarf joint headstock. I think there were 3 variants. The first had the Guild stairstep pickguard, the second had a curved p/guard, and then it became available with different hardware,p/ups etc. under the Squier brand. I know they were coming from the same factory as Cort guitars at one point.

Also notable is the single p/up, dot neck X-135 model, which I prefer, purely for it's simplicity.

I think these, along with the discontinued Aria FA-71, are a real nice find for traditionally styled Jazz boxes.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 01-22-2015 at 07:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I played used ones in shops over the years. The early ones that were made by DeArmond in Korea are the ones you want. Fender took over the company and used inferior electronics and the couple I played felt a good bit cheaper than the original ones.

User Info Menu

I've owned 4, both X-155 and X-135. Both are best buys for $500-$600. The pickup is great. They're a tougher find today than even a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Very nice guitars. I owned a Korean one for 5 years and never had any issues. It felt and played very nicely and sounded great (I was playing through Polytones and Twins at the time). Very decent acoustic sound too, I used to practice unplugged a lot. The pickups are brighter than your typical PAF type humbucker but I had no trouble getting mellow sounds out of it. Overall, a very solid working instrument, recommended.

User Info Menu

Well, it looks like I'm one of the few current owners.

Mine (Korean) is a first variation (stepped PG) with DeArmond Gold USA pups. It's a surprisingly lively guitar acoustically, the bridge pup is fairly bright, while the neck is a lot mellower, think overall Gretschey ?

The neck is jointed, finish is real good, the big 17" body is comfortable to play standing and sitting, and the stock everything works well.

As mentioned above they're not very common any more. If I didn't have one, an Ibanez AF/AK/AG 100+ model or Gretsch electromatic are every bit as good, if not better in many ways unless you play a lot late at night without an amp, then this is clearly a very big advantage.

User Info Menu

The Gold Tone pickups from the DeArmond line are fabulous. I use one for the neck position in my Epiphone Lucille.

I bought a few extra sets back then when MF was blowing them out, because they are so good.

So if you like the guitar, don't give a second thought to the p/ups. Very lively and versatile.

User Info Menu

I see these guitars on Ebay all the time. Ebony, natural, and sunburst.

I had the "Thunderbird" clone, but always wanted to try the X155.

I had a Guild X170, I had to change the p/ups - the stock p/ups were underwhelming by far. What did I substitute with????, the DeArmond Gold Tone h/bers. Woke that guitar right up!

User Info Menu

I have an X-155 I've been thinking of selling. It was my first archtop and served me well for a few years until I started longing for a carved top. This thread prompted me to dust it off and plug in. It sounds great to me as long as both the volume and treble controls on the guitar are rolled down slightly (7 or 8). I think the pups need that bit of damping to smooth out the upper/mid response. I wish I'd understood that years ago. The guitar also responds nicely to deeper treble cuts.

Just for fun, I rotated between the X-155, an Eastman AR810CE and a Fender American Standard Telecaster. The X-155 does a great job of bridging the gap between the more acoustic tone of the Eastman and the punchy sustain of the Telecaster. I can get tones I like out of the X-155 that neither the Eastman nor the Tele can deliver.

The X-155 has a good neck and fretwork. It's got a shorter scale than the other two (24.75"?), so it's more like an ES-175 neck. The nut width is the same as my Tele, but the strings are spaced a little closer together. If I were to keep this guitar, I'd be tempted to replace the nut to spread out the strings.

I brought it to a trio rehearsal today, and everyone was happy with it including me.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-24-2015 at 12:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Im 3 years late to this thread, joined the forum recently and found this thread while researching entry level hollow bodies. Im very much a beginner and after a few months of lessons amd practice on a very nice playing Ibanez solid body I began looking for a hollow body jazz guitar. Most widely available that I saw were Ibanez variants, and came close a few times to buying one but for various reasons it didn't work out.

The search did afford me the opportunity to pick up a lot of different instruments in varying price ranges, brands. I ended up taking home a DeArmond X-155 yesterday, in really nice condition and as much as it is aestheticaly pleasing it was the way itnfelt and played to me.

Also, tested it through a vintage Fender amp and it sounded so good.

This forum has been a great resource, lots of great info, advic, opinion and supportive of beginners!

User Info Menu

Best of luck and happy new year to you with that cool Dearmond. I'm really fond of Dearmonds. The X-155 is one of the few I have not owned. Playing a T400 now. Looks very gretsch or old Guild with that Bigsby, but turns out to be excellent for jazz. Agreed on the goldtone humbuckers too ... they are very worthy, clear and warm sounding pickups.

User Info Menu

Great guitar with a hilarious history. Well arguably more a history of the silly guitar market, since the guitar pretty much has always simply been a superbly executed concept from DeArmond.

It was designed and introduced - and reviewed - as an absolute success. A big classic ply jazz box that nailed the sound many players had in their heads. Absurdly good value, upgrade NOTHING, just play it.

Slightly bright PU’s - which of course respond perfectly to the high technology of a tone control.

Then nobody bought them.

Then they sold cheap.

Then they were “discovered”.

Then they got a little silly expensive.

Then they calmed down and sold for about the same as they did originally.

And so we are back to where it started, a big classic (the classic that never was, actually) ply jazz box that nails the sound many have in their heads.

Superb choice for a guitar. congrats.

All in my opinion.

Chris

User Info Menu

the dearmond line was a short attempt (from about 1999-2003) by fender to introduce a line of import guild type guitars...like epi is to gibson...the first run of about a dozen different models were well made in korea but with usa manufactured pickups...by pickup master bill turner (founder of emg)

most of the series had a list price in the 1k$ area...good quality import guitars

however, when fender partnered with gretsch in around 2003, they just dropped the whole dearmond line...and blew out all the models for low money...they also released a whole slew of 2nd generation lower quality/dumbed down guitars under the dearmond name as a final brand name killer

the last remnants of the x-155 were via a squier guitar..same body but with cheaper pups..and flashier paint job

dearmond had some nice models..the x-155, the single pickup x-135, the t-400, various starfires and the m75/77t..all worthy guitars...if they hadnt been blown out by the major retailers for 299$$ range, they might be better thought of today

cheers

User Info Menu

Another Dearmond I really like was quite rare ... a transparent green S73-12. The S73 was their take on the Guild S100 body shape, very SG like but for asymetric horns. In 6 string form, it had goldtone humbuckers. The 12 string had the 2k singlecoils. Looking like Dynasonics, but actually much closer to P90 sound. Excellent pickups, plus a build quality way in front of the modest used price I paid for that guitar.
    MD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the dearmond line was a short attempt (from about 1999-2003) by fender to introduce a line of import guild type guitars...like epi is to gibson...the first run of about a dozen different models were well made in korea but with usa manufactured pickups...by pickup master bill turner (founder of emg)

most of the series had a list price in the 1k$ area...good quality import guitars

however, when fender partnered with gretsch in around 2003, they just dropped the whole dearmond line...and blew out all the models for low money...they also released a whole slew of 2nd generation lower quality/dumbed down guitars under the dearmond name as a final brand name killer

the last remnants of the x-155 were via a squier guitar..same body but with cheaper pups..and flashier paint job

dearmond had some nice models..the x-155, the single pickup x-135, the t-400, various starfires and the m75/77t..all worthy guitars...if they hadnt been blown out by the major retailers for 299$$ range, they might be better thought of today

cheers
    Wasn't another part of that history that Fender acquired Guild and that the X-155 and 135 were so good that at $1k they were a threat to their archtop line? Well, that was the rumor I've read. I've owned both the X-155 and 135...extremely well made Korean guitars...reminded me of Peerless.

User Info Menu

fmic already owned the guild brand for about 5 years before the dearmond line..and they didnt do much at all with guild...mostly acoustics..and certainly no line of electric models..some one offs and customs...and they kept moving the guild production factories around the country

dearmond was the epi/gibson version of guild

but the gretsch deal killed it...dearmond was gutted...and it wasn't until about 10 years later that fender even started production on a regular line of guild electrics..and then they quickly sold the company outright to cordoba..who are doing a good job with the guild name these days

cheers

User Info Menu

Cray- cray.

I love the DeArmond Gold Tone pickups. MF was blowing them out too, at $29.95 each. So I bought all I could, and have used them, with very favorable re-actions. They are great. Especially in hollow bodies. Have used them in Guild X170's and an Epiphone Lucille, plus others.

User Info Menu

I bought one used on Reverb for $500, a 1999. Not entirely sold on it yet, oddly enough. Started with TI Jazz Swing strings and switched out for D'addario flat wounds, step in the right direction. Does anyone know if these are laminate wood or actual maple tops?

Thanks,

Tom

User Info Menu

all laminate!...play with the pickup height,,,if yours has the original usa made goldtones

cheers

ps- they are voiced more in the old guild tradition..brighter than the average gibby...try nickel roundwounds..and lighter than you normally go

User Info Menu

Always good to get a reply from someone who knows his guitars. I'm not that schooled on strings, and I'm taking your advice. What would you recommend for a round wound set? thanks again,
    tom

User Info Menu

I have one of the last DeArmond X155s, purchased during the blowout after Fender discontinued production. It was my first archtop while beginning to learn jazz and I got a lot of use from it. The pickups are a little bright, but that’s what treble controls are for. A little brightness is a good thing in big band where it got a lot of use.

I eventually switched to an Ibanez AF105-NT, which has a smaller body, less weight, a less chunky neck, and seems a bit higher grade in hardware, finishing and fret dress. The Ibanez seemed to suit me better and was easier to dial in a tone I liked so the X-155 has mostly stayed in the case since then. Every few months I’ll pull out the X-155 for practice or rehearsal and enjoy it for the change. It’s not a bad guitar.

I’ve still got roundwound strings on the X-155, but I want to try Rotosound RS200 Top Tape Monel Flatwound Strings on it. I’m now using them on the Ibanez and they seem perfect for a laminated archtop with slightly bright pickups. I have a feeling I’d be happier with the X-155 if I gave it a fret dress and switched to the Rotosound strings.

User Info Menu

Nice to hear, KirkP. Interesting, I just ordered D'addario Nickel wounds for the X 155. I still think I will sell it, but will give the round wounds a try. I've been through too many hollow body guitars, and can't get it right yet. Was playing my Heritage 535 this morning. This should suffice for the jazz box, but somehow the hollow body still seems necessary.

User Info Menu

the d'addario rounds are fine...just be sure to play with the pickup height a bit...and yes, roll back those guitar volume & tone controls

i found flats strangle the tone on the x-155...it needs a little more drive...the rounds bring out the best of its design..which is very loud acoustically

(i've played them strung with bronze acoustic strings and they were almost flatop loud!!)

if you like the rounds, next, you can try various types of rounds i.e. pure nickel, nickel plated steel, monel, stainless steel, cobalt etc etc to dial in your electric tone

keep workin with it...they were korean made for fmic with usa pickups..had good quality control... about as good as anything else in the under 1000$ market these days...sort of like epi premiums

cheers

User Info Menu

Nickel wounds transformed the sound and play! Thank you. Great education on flat vs. round wound. Great advice.

Tom

User Info Menu

Whenever I consider selling my X155, I pull it out of the closet and realize it’s better than I remember it. It feels good to play other than being a bit heavy. When this was my only archtop I usually kept the guitar’s volume knob near full and dialed the tone control back to bring the brightness down a bit. Since then, I’ve learned to turn the amp way up and roll the guitar’s volume knob way down. This seems to bring out more warmth without turning it to mud. I’m still not sure if the right strings are on it. I think I’ll try those Rotosound monel flatwound strings I mentioned earlier. If the results are better I’ll post another video.

This is recorded on an iPad, but played back through good headphones it seems to capture what I hear through the amp. My golden retriever usually snoozes when I practice, but not today.