The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Just saw this on Premier guitar.com.

Newark street collection and wow.

Oo! ES125 and Kingpin killer.

I couldn't find any news on the official Guild site but here is the PG article

Guild Guitars is pleased to announce the T-50 Slim, the latest addition to the Newark St. Collection. The T-50 Slim is the only non-cutaway model within the series, comprised of a variety of reissued classic Guild electric guitars and basses from the 1950s and ‘60s. Based on a mid-1960s T-50 model, the Newark T-50 features an arched spruce top and arched mahogany back, mahogany sides, and a sleek, sunburst finish. The Newark T-50 evokes Guild’s classic vibe with vintage details like Guild’s harp tailpiece, iconic center-raised headstock, and ivory binding. The low output single-coil dog-eared pickup lends a warm, smooth sound suitable for styles ranging from jazz to blues to rock and roll. This thinbody archtop guitar features a 1.9” body depth, which allows for ease of amplification. The T-50 Slim provides today’s guitarists with the distinctive Guild styling and voice that has helped shape popular music since the 1950s.
    Street Price: $979.99.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the idea but I wonder if it's worth twice the price of the Loar LH301-T with almost identical specs?

(And I should probably note that not only have I not played either of these but I haven't even seen either of them in person but I was thinking about the Loar as a cheapie to have hanging around)
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 01-15-2015 at 02:26 PM.

User Info Menu

If would have to be a really special guitar in order to be a Godin killer. My teacher uses the Godin, and I must say that it feels great and sounds better. In fact, it's a lot of guitar for the money.

User Info Menu

It looks nice but is several hundred dollars more than the street price of the Kingpin.

The Kingpin is not very loud but does have a very pleasant acoustic sound. Since the Guild is a thinline I suspect acoustic is not its forte. Nevertheless, a very nice looking guitar that might be just the ticket for some people.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 01-16-2015 at 07:51 PM.

User Info Menu

the original is probably cheaper and better.

Man I can't tell you how much I like non-cutaway archtops, especially if it is equipped with just one P90. Too bad it hasn't got a Fender scale length.

User Info Menu

Thomann.de do a long scale

Less than €200! Swap out the floater, happy days!

Theoretically it seems like a good idea, but I already have 4 electric guitars and two of them where cheap once. The Ibanez AFJ81 and a headless by Spirit by Steinberger. I have modded both guitars with better PU's and new tailpiece on the Ibanez and now I really like to play them and the sound is more than decent, but to be honest I really feel a difference in quality when I play my Yamaha SA2000s or my Strat.

User Info Menu

Quite a surprise that they'd bring back a repro of this model.
    Can the X-50 be far behind? Good news that the new Guild owners are continuing the Newark St line.

User Info Menu

The T-50 makes me want it! But, the Loar just makes me say "meh."

found this in case anyone interested. Would like to hear it without the reverb though

User Info Menu

It baffles me when people strum the guitar to check tuning, and it's so out of tune, and they don't even know, just plow ahead, oblivious.

User Info Menu

Also the lack-lustre blues licks we all know. It seems those licks become embedded, like a language. I guess he's saying 'Oh hi, umm, this is a guitar, i know bluse yuuh.'

His playing has improved on the more recent vids.

Poor sound quality doesn't help either.

Rant over, coffee finished-beer next!

User Info Menu

Sounds...like brand new out of tune roundwounds.

I've played the Loar deep body version. Horrible guitar.

Vintage vibe on a budget, an actually not-that-bad-of-an-acoustic tone, and made in canada from cool "green" woods like silverleaf maple and wild cherry, the Godin still wins in my book. But I know people like a glossy finish, so...

User Info Menu

Like a Kingpin, put prettier lines! I'll try one for sure.

And I like the 2" body depth vs. the Loar too.
    Last edited by kamlapati; 01-16-2015 at 10:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Loar = are they still doing that crazy "retro" V neck ?!?

User Info Menu

AFAIK yes, but it's only on certain models. The LH-301 which is the model relating to the Guild T-50 has what Loar call a "thin-C shape profile".

User Info Menu

The Guild Newark St collection is made by SPG Musical Instruments Korea the factory that made guitars for Samick, I believe the new Gretsch guitars are made in the same factory.

User Info Menu

First video

User Info Menu

Looks like fun guitar to play. I liked the sound he had thought what I think was a Princeton. Nothing super special but I liked it nonetheless. Really dig the color and lines. I think it's that pick guard that really ties it all together. Too bad I just bought a guitar otherwise I might have waited.

I like it! The Premier guitar video of the guy playing Beautiful Love was good. It has a nice classic look and decent tone. One day a used one will show up for $400 and I buy one then.

User Info Menu

This is a rare 80's T50. Another little beauty.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 01-27-2015 at 08:20 PM.

User Info Menu

First time posting here. I love this guitar and I wanted to share. I was considering The Loar (which others mentioned) but the body depth and the V neck shape steered me away.

The guild is so comfortable to play and sounds great. One unique thing is that the fret wires are slightly higher compared to other guitars I have. It creates a feeling of 'skating' or 'gliding' across the strings. I can't really say if it's necessarily a good thing for all players, just something I noticed - I like it personally!

I mostly play fingerstyle and am a songwriter. It is a good accompanying instrument for my voice so that's also a plus.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkmeder
    First time posting here. I love this guitar and I wanted to share. I was considering The Loar (which others mentioned) but the body depth and the V neck shape steered me away.

The guild is so comfortable to play and sounds great. One unique thing is that the fret wires are slightly higher compared to other guitars I have. It creates a feeling of 'skating' or 'gliding' across the strings. I can't really say if it's necessarily a good thing for all players, just something I noticed - I like it personally!

I mostly play fingerstyle and am a songwriter. It is a good accompanying instrument for my voice so that's also a plus.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts!

Yes mate, really nice.

I do like the sound of P90's, both clean and dirty, especially durrtee......

Nice chord progressions, I was expecting a lower pitched chord for the outro, very nice indeed.

Good to see someone playing finger style guitar on something other than an amplified acoustic.
    JayKay, have you tried and Godins before this, by that I mean the A6 hybrid acoustic/electric? I would say that would be great for you playing style too.

Back to the Guild. I was really up for P90 equipped Gibbo scale guitar and was fortunate to find a Yamaha AEX502.
    I see now that Yamaha have repurposed that configuration in the Revstar.
    Anyhoo I was pleased to see recently that the AEX range of guitars have increased in value, yipee for me!
    I guess that is due to the Revstar range being quite costly.

I have tried this Guild and was impressed by the fit and finish, the neck was nice and the tone was good too. However having the Yam AEX with a wider neck and fingerboard does question the need to add to my baggage with coin best used elsewhere.
    Yes the Guild has better tone wood if you will, but the Yamaha punches above its weight.

Now that the secondhand values have increased has put both these guitars in the same category. So if I were in the market for this style of guitar and I had the opportunity to play them back to back I would say the Yamaha pips it with the wider neck for these shovel like hands dangling at the end of my pipe cleaner like arms!

Guild T-50-471723_medium-jpg
    £899 Guild new

Guild T-50-yamaha-aex-502-dark-sunburst-jpg
    £350 AEX second hand

Guild T-50-377987-jpg
    Revstar 502R £530

Guild T-50-revstar502t_2-jpg
    Revstar top spec £650

Now I hasten to add that the Revstars are solidmahogany set neck with 43mm nut width, as is the AEX, but with a bolt on maple neck with semi alder body with a flame (or faux) maple top.

All to play for!

'Differunt Personalis Preferences'!

User Info Menu

You compare the T50 which is full hollow and floating bridge with semi hollows with stop tails
    I don't think they are the same instruments.