The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 112 of 112

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    I had a PRS Hollowbody 2 very briefly. I think it sounds good (mine was an older model without piezos and the humbuckers were called "archtop" pickups) but I couldn't cope with the feel. It felt like it was always moving when playing standing up. Well, the back is convex and unfortunately so is my belly. And sitting down it felt very small. In theory a lightweight guitar is a good thing but this particular one told me that a little weight is not such ab bad thing.
    Eventually I gave it back and got an Ibanez GB10 instead – very solid feel and good tones so that's what I suggest to look at.
    Which version of GB10 is everyone recommending? I'm only seeing "get an older one" but that doesn't super narrow it down for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    jazzy tones on an ES-Les Paul...

FFWD to 2:35

Not many of those for sale unless you go epiphone?

Quote Originally Posted by DS71
    I have a good friend(a former student) who plays jazz on his Hollowbody II. Great guitar. The thing I notice about those particular PRS guitars-they don't have the thump/low end that a bigger hollow body would have or even a semi hollow like a 335. But they are very articulate guitars. My friend loves his and it sounds great.
    As I said, others love the PRS and that's great. I preferred the HBI I had to the HBII with Piezo but never got to try one with archtop pickups which I know would have been better for my uses.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    You like Gibson, you like hollow, you like humbuckers and to prevent your arm from going numb you need a thinline. I say the ES-330 with humbuckers: (I think it’s called Satin)

I didn't know about that model! Thanks!
    Now to find an affordable Collings version.

User Info Menu

With a Collings I35LC and a 290, I can’t imagine you’d have trouble getting a decent jazz tone with a body you’re already comfortable with.

That said, a Collings Eastside LC sounds like it would be right up your alley, plus you know you already like the neck shape and build.

Collings I30 LC would be another good option - same body shape as your I35, but fully hollow and with P90’s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryL
    With a Collings I35LC and a 290, I can’t imagine you’d have trouble getting a decent jazz tone with a body you’re already comfortable with.

That said, a Collings Eastside LC sounds like it would be right up your alley, plus you know you already like the neck shape and build.

Collings I30 LC would be another good option - same body shape as your I35, but fully hollow and with P90’s.
    My only concern with the Eastside models was going in at that high a price for a 1 trick pony so to speak and no cheap used ones.
    At least with the I30 it could do more than one thing! Might even make me want to sell my I35! :O

User Info Menu

Man, those Tribute ES175 and ES335 clones look nice! And finally clones with Mahogany necks, something I'm quite neurotic about, lol. Almost all other clones/copies have maple necks, but I'm a Mahogany-neck snob for those designs. I think the Tributes even use 1 piece necks. Well, I might be in trouble...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by caue amaral
    Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW Natural / incl. Hard Case / Made in Japan

Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW | Reverb
    I wouldn't want that model since it's the same full size as the ES175. BUT, they make a Jr that looks like a 140 copy!
    Have you tried one of their guitars in person to see about the quality?

User Info Menu

Another guitar to consider with ES175 looks, thinner rim depth and an affordable price.

Here's an older thread:Seventy Seven Hawk...

User Info Menu

Is that you? VERY nice take. I stayed witht that right to the last note. Nice guitar too. Is it 16" or 15"? Full hollow?

EDIT: Apparently I'm consistent in my taste because I just went to the old thread to get more info and I like this take a lot them too

User Info Menu

Not me but I agree it's a very nice take-great player and lovely sounding guitar. I don't own a Seventy Seven myself but was seriously tempted when I was in the market. The Hawk is fully hollow, 16'' as far as I know-for someone who likes 175s but is looking for something more comfortable it could be a great option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTT
    Man, those Tribute ES175 and ES335 clones look nice! And finally clones with Mahogany necks, something I'm quite neurotic about, lol. Almost all other clones/copies have maple necks, but I'm a Mahogany-neck snob for those designs. I think the Tributes even use 1 piece necks. Well, I might be in trouble...
    Right there with ya! Why maple necks? No, no, no..... mahogany it needs to be! I find the resonance and sound of a mahogany neck very different (much more pleasing to me)!

User Info Menu

D'Angelico EX SS? Small, thin, airy, lots of sustain, affordable, will never get stolen because it looks like a cheap Italian maffioso who just received his first pay check.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    D'Angelico EX SS? Small, thin, airy, lots of sustain, affordable, will never get stolen because it looks like a cheap Italian maffioso who just received his first pay check.
    Kurt seems to be playing a lot D’Angelicos at the moment including the solid body Brighton model. Presumably they’re great for touring, easy to replace if something goes wrong...