The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    That being said, agreed with and acknowledged, rounding fret corners is not really a hard thing to do. They have some really talented high echelon luthiers working there and fret ends are below basic lutherie 101. If that's the only stipulation for a make or break deal, you're an easy customer.
    Why are you unhappy with your Ibanez?
    You're right of course. But not sure how the 'like an Ibanez Artstar' would play out. Smooth and finished doesn't necessarily mean spherical. Just rounded off. I think the OP just wants normally finished fret ends but you have to be careful how you ask.

Fret work on mine was inconsistent though it has been a long time since I ordered one. And, humidity being what it is to guitars, it hasn't been a bad thing to learn to work on my own.

If buying a Yunzhi I suggest putting money in the budget to take it to a tech for frets (level, polish), electronics, finish (nitro) polish, and set up. Again, it's been a long time so I don't have recent experience which would likely be more valuable.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't speak from experience myself, but many criticisms I have seen on the work of yunzhi or Mr Wu seems to focus on hardware (including frets) and electronics, whilst waxing lyrical about the woodworking.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    If buying a Yunzhi I suggest putting money in the budget to take it to a tech for frets (level, polish), electronics, finish (nitro) polish, and set up. Again, it's been a long time so I don't have recent experience which would likely be more valuable.
    LOL - So it sounds like you are recommending a WU, because you are gonna be spending the extra money anyway... just some of it will be spent with your local luthier if you choose a Yunzhi.

Is that correct?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tescot
    LOL - So it sounds like you are recommending a WU, because you are gonna be spending the extra money anyway... just some of it will be spent with your local luthier if you choose a Yunzhi.

Is that correct?
    They’re similar archtop’s. You’ll spend money to finish both at home. Unless of course, you’re skilled enough to do the work yourself. I wasn’t, so I paid the man. And for $550 I received a pleked neck, which was optional, the install of a floating pickup, loose frets glued and trimmed, the grounding of the strings by copper sections fitted beneath both the pickup and in the tailpiece beneath the strings, and then a wire running through the tailpiece grounding at the tailpiece jack, and a pick guard install. That’s was a lot of work for $550, which I gladly paid. The result was far better than I could have ever imagined, and the guitar played like a dream.

Yunzhi Guitars?-ff7abf8d-c3dc-4040-98cf-f9f5c46da21a-jpgYunzhi Guitars?-920c4314-b45c-430f-a67a-2fb3af73ab5c-jpg

User Info Menu

A "plek" checks if all frets are installed in the proper locations, right? What would have happened if they weren't?

User Info Menu

Please enjoy :
    Home - Plek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    A "plek" checks if all frets are installed in the proper locations, right? What would have happened if they weren't?
    All I know is that prior to the guitar being dropped off to the luthier, who was likely the most expensive in Bellevue, WA., the guitar played like crap. It was in dire need of a setup. But since I had to have equipment installed anyway I figured let a pro do the work. I was astounded by the end result, and how inexpensive the work was. I’d owned some expensive guitars, L5’s and so many others. This guitar played as good or better than anything I previously owned.

This was the guitar, that I later sold. Why’d I sell it if it played so great? It was purchased as an experiment. I was curious if I could make a WU sound as good as any guitar. Well, that question was answered in a positive manner.

User Info Menu

I'd have kept the Wu (did it dance too? ) and sold the old stuff (and paid off the mortgage on the house or something)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    All I know is that prior to the guitar being dropped off to the luthier, who was likely the most expensive in Bellevue, WA., the guitar played like crap. It was in dire need of a setup. But since I had to have equipment installed anyway I figured let a pro do the work. I was astounded by the end result, and how inexpensive the work was. I’d owned some expensive guitars, L5’s and so many others. This guitar played as good or better than anything I previously owned.

This was the guitar, that I later sold. Why’d I sell it if it played so great? It was purchased as an experiment. I was curious if I could make a WU sound as good as any guitar. Well, that question was answered in a positive manner.

Did the luthier comment on the fretwork prior to the plek (or if you made any observations yourself)? How about the neck angle?

Thanks so much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Did the luthier comment on the fretwork prior to the plek (or if you made any observations yourself)? How about the neck angle?

Thanks so much.
    Yes, he observed the frets needed to be better seated. The N/A was fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

So did Wu put in he CC pu, or did you order a strictly acoustic guitar, and then have your tech do that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    So did Wu put in he CC pu, or did you order a strictly acoustic guitar, and then have your tech do that?
    Exactly. I ordered a strictly acoustic. That’s the only way to order, for everything else has to be done on this side of the pond. Observe the pick guard. It’s actually a Heritage made out of ebony. The guitar turned out pretty good!

User Info Menu

Oh, and the finishing touch was an African Ebony wide bridge, to honor Jimmy D’Aquisto, made by the great Matt Cushman, before he retired.

User Info Menu

I am almost sold on the idea so I will rephrase the question - “why should I not buy a Yunzhi build guitar?

User Info Menu

Don't buy it if you expect it to have a perfect setup on delivery. Don't buy it if you're unwilling to invest some time and/or money in making it playable. Don't buy it if you expect the same quality as a high-end boutique custom guitar. Otherwise, no real reason not to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nbevan3
    I am almost sold on the idea so I will rephrase the question - “why should I not buy a Yunzhi build guitar?
    Because a Mr Wu guitar is a better idea?

User Info Menu

I've seen reports that Mr. Wu is no longer building, because it became unprofitable. I don't know it for a fact, but I would check carefully before investing time and money in a Wu build. I hope he's able to continue, because IMO he makes very good guitars for a very reasonable price. In fact, his prices are probably too low, thus the inability to make a living at it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Don't buy it if you expect it to have a perfect setup on delivery. Don't buy it if you're unwilling to invest some time and/or money in making it playable. Don't buy it if you expect the same quality as a high-end boutique custom guitar. Otherwise, no real reason not to.
    thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Because a Mr Wu guitar is a better idea?
    thank you

User Info Menu

In fact, his prices are probably too low, thus the inability to make a living at it.
    You'd hope that he would increase his prices in that case!

User Info Menu

I've seen reports that Mr. Wu is no longer building, because it became unprofitable. I don't know it for a fact, but I would check carefully before investing time and money in a Wu build. I hope he's able to continue, because IMO he makes very good guitars for a very reasonable price. In fact, his prices are probably too low, thus the inability to make a living at it.
    He's building. This word from Lora yesterday. His present prices are a little more than Yunzhi and well worth it. He was Eastman's master luthier. Prices will increase as of Jan 1. I coaxed him out of retirement with some prototype designs I commissioned.
    Yunzhi surely make fine guitars too, quite similar. I think either way, you can get hand built quality that can sell for under what much or most of what you'd pay for a heavier production laminate otherwise.
    I'd also say, the quality difference can be lost if you don't have the need for a handbuilt instrument, and face it, they're a LOT more fragile than a 175.

User Info Menu

That's good news. Wu makes fine guitars. The 16" I have is almost perfect, but I ordered a 45mm nut width, and find that it's wider than I really like. Entirely my fault, but a 43mm nut with everything else identical is calling me. Getting it by the CFO may present difficulties, but I can cross that bridge if I come to it.

User Info Menu

Man.. if he's going to increase prices and maybe slow down.. I don't need another guitar but if this is the late train I may have to take it.

User Info Menu

I pressed the “go button” on a new 16” yesterday - exciting times!

I am not clear on the process from here on; how much conversation have others had during the wood selection and build phase?

User Info Menu

For you folks who have gone this (Chinese) route, what's the approximate delivery time on instruments? I'm kicking around an idea for a guitar I'd like to have. I assume they will do laminate? I'm thinking something along the lines of a GB10 shape and size with my Pete Biltoft HHC in the neck. Nice maple b&s, sunburst, plastic binding, no fingerboard inlay. Or, maybe something along these lines already exists that I don't know about?