Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 301 to 324 of 324

User Info Menu

No one yet mentioned a thumb pick ...
    Once trained to use it, it becomes a very versatile musical object.
    Three fingers are able to pick treble strings and palm muting is carried out easily.
    An heretic tilt in the wrist although ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5 mm

Tried lots of them, but only this one sounds so good, to let me stay by it forever. But my local music shop dealer said that this one will be discontinued, so I ordered 200 pieces of them, he said that takes a few months to complete my order, but after it I gonna have enough picks for my entire life...
    I love these picks. If you would ever want to sell a couple once you receive your stash, please let me know.

User Info Menu

Guitar Picks for Jazz-3daea2d7-02b2-44fe-ad30-7e5197b4d9b6-jpeg

User Info Menu

Fender 358 medium. Forever. By the gross. (they're dispensable. musta used up a couple thousand)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5 mm
    I bought a packet of the 1.0 mm to see what I thought. I didn't stick with them at the time. However, recently I started using a Jazz III again, but this time holiding it by the tip and picking with a shoulder. That worked fine except the Jazz III have raised (embossed) areas on both sides and I wanted a uniformly smooth surface so nothing would catch on the strings. Going over this thread, I recalled I had some Black Ice picks and tried them. Yay! Very smooth, of course, so that solves that problem. Might try the 1.5 mm later but for now, the 1.0 seem just fine.

User Info Menu

Truth is I hardly use a pick but when I do, it's a triangle!
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar Picks for Jazz-img_1654-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    Truth is I hardly use a pick but when I do, it's a triangle!
    Hey! Those are my faves. They do take a little time playing to get a nice edge sculpted, but once u do they r tone city.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    These, in heavy.
    Attachment 59265

Originally I used only the "Gibson Star" pick (no longer made), but Fender and D'Andrea make the same shape. It's the shape that works best for me. For rhythm I use the round end, point for lead. I drill two holes in them so they never spin in my fingers.
    I just found an old Gibson pick I modified for playing classical mandolin- works very well for jazzguitar - very similar to yours except I put 2 drops of SuperGlue on both sides. Guitar Picks for Jazz-4b28fa68-e16b-4249-92d5-84a7edc10558-jpg

User Info Menu

When I'm not using my thumb and fingers I use a D'Andrea 355 Heavy. It's the big pointy triangle pick.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Tortex 0,73 mm for acoustic guitar, Wegen GP250 for jazzguitar and nylonstring-guitar

User Info Menu

BC and recently just picked up some Primetone jazz III 1.4. These are nice, havent used my BC in a couple weeks and beats my regular Jazz IIIs

User Info Menu

After trying every shape known to man, I've come full circle to the trusty 351 shape, in Extra Heavy, using the "shoulders" - the fat sides - rather than the point. These Pyramids have a very smooth finish all the way around the edge and the best tone to my ear, better than the current Fender/D'Andrea offerings.

For archtop acoustic, I've experimented with quite a number of options, but have currently settled on Wegen 1.5mm and 2mm mandolin picks. They have a nice warmth and not much "click" on the attack. They also have a nice grippy texture - no slipping around.

Guitar Picks for Jazz-img_0398-jpg

Here are some of the archtop pick contenders - you can see I don't like pointy picks. These - and a few others - get pulled out and tried every now and then for particular uses.

Guitar Picks for Jazz-img_0401-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    Have always used these:

I have a few of these from Billy Bean that his nephew gave me when I was in Philadelphia last. This pick was Billy's favorite, also.

User Info Menu

For Strat, Tele, Gretsch 6128, 6120, or 6136 playing rock, pop, or blues: 358 Fender Heavy celluloid

For acoustic steel string strumming and bluegrass flatpicking: Fender Medium celluloid 351

For jazz on any guitar including archtops and solid bodies: Bluechip BC Jazz 50

User Info Menu

Fender 351 Heavy or Extra Heavy

User Info Menu

Have you purchased Proplecs recently, and if so are they "flat" picks? I love the tone of PP but gave up on them a couple years ago because when I moved up in size from the 358 teardrops (which I never had a problem with) to the Jazz size, of the dozen I bought about half were curled like pringles. I contacted D'Andrea and they quickly sent me another dozen, of which, wait for it,....8 or 9 were warped. I have since then moved up even larger after changing my technique to the bluegrass player Tri size. Have been using Dunlop Ultex (rather happily) but I'd love to have some PP, but I don't trust them to deliver a quality product at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by bengruven
    After trying every shape known to man, I've come full circle to the trusty 351 shape, in Extra Heavy, using the "shoulders" - the fat sides - rather than the point. These Pyramids have a very smooth finish all the way around the edge and the best tone to my ear, better than the current Fender/D'Andrea offerings.

For archtop acoustic, I've experimented with quite a number of options, but have currently settled on Wegen 1.5mm and 2mm mandolin picks. They have a nice warmth and not much "click" on the attack. They also have a nice grippy texture - no slipping around.

Guitar Picks for Jazz-img_0398-jpg

Here are some of the archtop pick contenders - you can see I don't like pointy picks. These - and a few others - get pulled out and tried every now and then for particular uses.

Guitar Picks for Jazz-img_0401-jpg

User Info Menu

Fender 351 Extra Heavy on electric and acoustic guitars and tenor banjo, Dunlop Jazz III on 5 string banjo and uke.

User Info Menu

Quite liking the dunlop tortex jazz iii xl 1.5mm these days. Jazz iii standard are a nice shape and tip, but a little short and the xl's are near perfect.

User Info Menu

I started using the Bluechip 50, haven't looked back since...

Guitar Picks for Jazz-bluechip-td-50-jpg

User Info Menu

Blue Chip KS60 unbeveled. Love that it's an equilateral triangle, lasts forever and gets a huge fat tone out of both acoustic and amplified guitars. I probably mentioned this pick a few pages back but thought I'd post again.

The KS50 is also quite good. I find the KS40 too thin for my taste.

User Info Menu

A spring-loaded guitar pick. Who'lda thunk it?
    Never tried one. Not sure I will, but if I had the chance I would because I'm awful curious about picks. (Though I mainly use Jazz IIIs now, which are simple as can be.)
    Guitar Picks for Jazz-black-mountain-thumb-pick-jpg
    Black Mountain Thumb Picks – Black Mountain Picks

User Info Menu

Cool idea. I haven’t found thumbpicks to my liking so far, but this might be worth a try.

Justin Johnson is a monster slide player. He specializes in cigar box guitars and has even played the hell out of a shovel outfitted with strings and a pickup.

Justin Johnson - Home | Facebook

He plays here a lot and is good buddies with a guy who makes very distinctive CBG’s in the area:

Maddog Cigar Box Guitars - Home | Facebook

User Info Menu

I use them on occasion. Pretty good design. What I like about them is you can get them on and off pretty quick. So if you have tunes that you prefer the jazz 3, then you can switch between them quickly unlike the velcro strap type thumb/flatpick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sredna
    Don't have any information on leather picks I'm afraid. This video shows a technique called hybrid picking, ie using both pick and fingers. That may be the answer to your tone problem.

Hybrid picking and Teles go together like soup and crackers or mornings and coffee.