The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 388

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I find I miss the strings less with a pointed pick :-) Seriously, for me rounded picks have too "soft" a tone and not enough of an attack. The J3 picks are a good compromise between a smooth sound and bounce back from the strings.
    To me a pointy pick gives me too much treble for a warm fat jazz tone...but each to his (or her) own!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After years of using Jazz III I am now using that:

Combined with the stiffness heavy gauge of Labella 15-56, it gives a nice attack.
    Jazz III were better with slinkier strings like 11 or 12 but since I am now a heavy strings player the Nylon 73mm is my favorite!
    Attached Images Attached Images Jazz Guitar Pick-44r-73_new-jpg 
    Last edited by vinlander; 12-21-2014 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Dugain 5mm Acetate Maxi produces the best tone and the most articulate picking for me...by a long shot.
    Jazz Guitar Pick-5mm-dugain-maxi-acetate-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    ...ooooohhh - not again! LOL!

Seriously: I'm sure it has been discussed before and I really thought twice before posting so bear with me please but here goes:

I have constantly been changing my preferences for picks all through the years.

Since working on learning jazz guitar I have gone to thicker picks and also less pointy ones. One of my favourites lastly has been a Kasho celluloid 1.3 mm:

Attachment 16584

Supplies will be running out sooner or later since these are NOS and the company is out of business so I started looking for something similar to use in the future. Happened upon the new Dunlop Primetone - same size and thickness (before anybody cracks the joke - just a larger photo):

Attachment 16585

A great pick!

Now the Kasho sounds a bit darker or mellower whereas the Dunlop seems to support more precision in picking while yielding a tad more highs in tone. I'm kind of torn between the two of them...

So just out of curiosity: what are you all preferring for a good jazz guitar pick?

Regards

Tommo

Tommo, you might like the Dawg. Their shape seems similar to the two you write about.

I really like the Red Bear Lil' Jazzer and n°9; also the Blue Chip Jazz, but these are expensive. I woulnd't mind except that I found and now use the Traynor Derlin Jazz; they sound and feel a lot like the BC Jazz and the Red Bear. Plus they cost $3.60 CDN for a pack of 12.

Jazz Guitar Pick-985c69853faab45389fef7f67cd98859-jpg

User Info Menu

We should do a ranking sometime. A sortable list. Functional things might include brightness, clarity, durability and string noise. Other considerations would be cost and availability.

User Info Menu

I've tried a lot of what's out there, and at times spent way too much on a single pick. I eventually settled on the Dunlop 205 jazz tone. I always really liked the feel of my Redbear though.... The sound just wasn't quite right, and too expensive

User Info Menu

Some 25 years ago Guitar Player had a photo spread of "picks of the stars," having asked a couple dozen famous guitarists for one of their picks. The variety was quite interesting and as I recall the accompanying article had comments about the picks from the musicians. I remember (IIRC) Jerry Garcia's comment being "this is the only thing standing between me and abject poverty."

OK, looking around the web it was September 1987 and it was 100 pro players' picks. Jerry used a 2.0 mm Adamas graphite pick at that time. Here's one somewhat hard-to-read shot of the poster and accompanying text:

Jazz Guitar Pick-100-jazz-guitar-picks-jpg

User Info Menu

I have been using the Dunlop Jazztone 204 for the past year or two. I use the pointier 205 for non-jazz stuff. I used to use the Big Stubbies a while back and liked them too....I used them shifted so a rounded edge would hit the strings.

User Info Menu

I've been playing a couple environments where there's no "room" sound to speak of, and so I lose all of the low end and fullness of my amp, and mic'ing the amp hasn't been doing it for me either.

I figured out a while ago that it pays to have a variety of picks available because what sounds best in one setting may not sound best in another. I was at a loss for a pick that sounded darker, because most of what I have that is thicker is also well beveled or otherwise bright sounding. I'm glad somebody mentioned the Jazztone line, because I recall those being very dark sounding, which would be perfect where I need to add back some warmth. I'm gonna go find the ones I have and try them out.

At the moment I've been using a Blue Chip TD40 on my Eastman 805, a JB Picks 1.5mm with no bevel on my ES-150, and a Wegen 1.4mm on my LeVoi. I usually also have a TD50, and a 1.2mm Wegen ready to go if I need bit more heft. Plus, I keep a sorted pick tray in my main gear bag, that has almost everything else: 2.5mm-7mm Wegens, various JB Picks, a variety of other basic celluloid picks, and all of the other things I've experimented with: Red Bear, V-Picks, etc. We went caroling the other day, and I broke out the Wegen 3.5mm, which I definitely needed.

User Info Menu

Also, to solve my problem with having no bass, I did try rotating the pick and playing with the round corner, but I needed even more bass.

User Info Menu

To Greentone, the Dugain Acetate: I have one of those, do you use it with electric archtops? What's your opinion about pick noise or 'clicking'? I've used it more with Gypsy jazz guitars...
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 12-24-2014 at 12:17 AM.

At the moment, I'm playing with Dunlop 3mm Big Stubbies, playing with the rounded end of the pick. It gives me a sort of 'bowing' feeling when I'm picking.

User Info Menu

Used Jazz III for a long time; but since a decade or so have been using the thick gypsy style buffalo horn picks. The super fat ones with a groove for the index finger and an indent for the thumb

Theyre cheap on ebay from china and taiwan etc but I always redo the tip shape with some sandpaper first, as they come pointy tip (obviously made by someone who doesnt play the guitar) and I like to have a small slanted bevel to the tip

The horn is very thick and produces a very tick warm natural sound. I wear them down in about 3 months so but them in packs of 10-20 but they work great for me with the Tomstik or Daddario pure nickel; and a medium low action

User Info Menu

Ronstuff
    I don't get a click with the acetate picks. I do with the acrylic.

User Info Menu

Hi,

I use to play with Fender Heavy Celluloid and Dugain Acetate picks. 351 shape is my preferred shape.

Here are the picks I will give a try:

Jazz Guitar Pick-pickboy-celluloid-jpgJazz Guitar Pick-john-pearse-casein-jpgJazz Guitar Pick-clayton-nutone-jpg

Pickboy celluloid, John Pearse casein and Clayton NuTone protein (maybe casein too).

User Info Menu

Jim Dunlop Ultex, .88mm
    Anyone else like them as much as I do?

I was using pickboy Edge PEI picks BUT THEY ARE NO LONGER MAKING THEM...
    So I switched to the dunlops, very close in sound to the PEI

I also tried the carbon/nylon edge Pisces from pickboy, nice. But not the same tone as the PEI....

let me know if anyone has any old stock pickboy Edge PEI
    Last edited by LaVinci; 01-10-2015 at 07:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LaVinci

let me know if anyone has any old stock pickboy Edge PEI
    You can get Clayton picks in 1mm in Ultem / Ultrex that are pretty close.
    Last edited by Spook410; 01-11-2015 at 03:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Most folks are quite picky on this subject ... and choosing a pick depends on the music style

For jazz I use the thick wooden one from

DUGAIN PLECTRUMS ERGONOMIC GUITAR PICKS
    Last edited by Dirk; 01-13-2020 at 06:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    ...ooooohhh - not again! LOL!

Seriously: I'm sure it has been discussed before and I really thought twice before posting so bear with me please but here goes:

I have constantly been changing my preferences for picks all through the years.

Since working on learning jazz guitar I have gone to thicker picks and also less pointy ones. One of my favourites lastly has been a Kasho celluloid 1.3 mm:

Attachment 16584

I used to use the Dunlop 207 for years and changed to the Kasho-Pleks a few months ago ...

Yes spot on my friend. I use the Guzz pick ,hand made in Spain......terrific mellow tone.

User Info Menu

Looking at the Django GypsyJazz website and see the 4mm Delrin Flat picks

(Out of the 4mm Acetate)

Any thoughts on these?
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 01-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Looking at the Django GypsyJazz website and see the 4mm Delrin Flat picks

(Out of the 4mm Acetate)

Any thoughts on these?
    I've only used the acrylic and the acetate picks.

User Info Menu

Hey everyone,

I want to try something new, I mainly use D'Andrea Pro Plecs. I like their sound a lot, but sometimes they can get slippery when sweaty.
    Occasionally I use Fender extra heavies and Dunlop jazztone 207s.

What you guys play or recommend?

Thank you,
    Mike

User Info Menu

I use Dunlop Jazztone 207s. I've never played one I like more regardless of price.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz III XL. Black.

HTH,