The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 388

User Info Menu

Been using for a while Wegen Trimus 250, works for me ok.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B.
    Though in the case of the Andy Polon site (which has copies of the original, hand-written Galbraith mss), I think they may have predated the Mel Bay publication. Does anyone know if this is the case? At any rate, I think most guitar students would want the Mel Bay editions, since the hand written copies are quite difficult to read. The Mel Bay version has fingerings, as well (which I like, though sometimes ignore), and chord symbols. I'd prefer that there weren't tabs (since I tend to be lazy and not read the music when they are there) ... but you can't have everything.
    The pdf floating around the internet is not really a bootleg, it's just a transcription of the Barry's handwritten arrangements. Mel Bay basically did the same work, but added tab, notes, etc, and performances (I don't remember the name of the player). It was not a book written, or planned by Barry Galbraith. While the books seem like a more solid source, ultimately I decided against them because of the tab - I mainly used the arrangements as reading practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    I use the D'Andrea Pro Plec. 1.5mm and the standard 351 shape. The edges are rounder than most which gives and nice warm tone and also maks it much easier to pick because it's polished.
    I use them aswell. By far the best picks ive ever used. Great sound and very comfortable.

User Info Menu

i can't find a better pick than the tortoise shell Fender heavy pick for my round wound TI George Benson strings 12-53, and i've looked.

User Info Menu

I guess you guy didn't tell him to not use the point of the pick....use the round part........also the Amp and Amp adjustment is important. Pat Metheny does not use the point of the pick!

User Info Menu

A couple of thoughts. As others have mentioned, I also use the D'Andrea ProPlec pick, in my case the small teardrop pick instead of the "Fender" style one. I find I get the best tone with a smooth pick that releases the string cleanly. My pick is held at a slight angle to the string so it does not strike the string with the flat of the pick. I use the amp to let me pick the string more softly, which gives warmer, darker sound without much snap.

I rarely strum a chord, I usually use the Ed Bickertish hybrid picking style.

User Info Menu

!. Flats (I even use a flat wound .018 B string!)
    2. Blue Chip pick is the best I've found or you could try a rubber one
    3. Experiment on your pick angle

User Info Menu

Thomastik-Infeld Swing (flats) strings (.011-.013), Jazztone 204 pick (rounded tip) or fingerstyle, rosewood or ebony bridge, lower pickup. Meditation. My $0.02.
    Last edited by zigzag; 02-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

You need to roll your volume and possibly your tone control back for rhythm and comping, almost acoustic and keep your chords small 3 or 4 notes, most of the Bebop players Ellis, Pass etc. used partial chord shapes for comping Kessell being an exception.
    Last edited by TonyB56; 03-01-2014 at 05:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I personally use Gibson heavy picks but I cut the point off so the pick is an actual symetrical triangle with rounded ends that way if I fingerpick when I change back to the plectrum I don't have to worry which way round it is but that is just my preference.

User Info Menu

...ooooohhh - not again! LOL!

Seriously: I'm sure it has been discussed before and I really thought twice before posting so bear with me please but here goes:

I have constantly been changing my preferences for picks all through the years.

Since working on learning jazz guitar I have gone to thicker picks and also less pointy ones. One of my favourites lastly has been a Kasho celluloid 1.3 mm:

Jazz Guitar Pick-ka27blau-jpg

Supplies will be running out sooner or later since these are NOS and the company is out of business so I started looking for something similar to use in the future. Happened upon the new Dunlop Primetone - same size and thickness (before anybody cracks the joke - just a larger photo):

Jazz Guitar Pick-primetonesemiroundsculptedplectra-11-png

A great pick!

Now the Kasho sounds a bit darker or mellower whereas the Dunlop seems to support more precision in picking while yielding a tad more highs in tone. I'm kind of torn between the two of them...

So just out of curiosity: what are you all preferring for a good jazz guitar pick?

Regards

Tommo

User Info Menu

I've been using the Dunlop Jazztone 207 for years with great success.

User Info Menu

Fender XH picked with the side.

User Info Menu

I have been mostly using a Dunlap Jazztone 206 these days with my archtop and a Wegen GP 250 with my gypsy guitar. Other picks that I also have played with are in the lower image.

User Info Menu

The color of a pick also is of paramour importance. Blue, purple, works great. Red green and white dont. I dont that much experience with orange ones.

On a more serious note;I lose my picks all the time so I focus on the ones I can easily find. fender heavy and purple tortex.

User Info Menu

I've tried them all, and for people who say "picks don't change the tone," phooey on them -- they can make a tremendous difference, IMO. Whether you like the difference or not is the personal taste thing.

FWIW, I've been liking these lately: SharkTooth & Kodiak Custom Flat Picks

User Info Menu

I'm a pretty cavalier shopper when "picking" out sneakers, or Tee shirts, but guitar picks? Nope. After all these years I stumbled on Dunlop Jazz III and ultimately their max grip about 7 years ago. I was looking in a store for little Fender heavy picks but the store had only medium and (shudder) thin, and a store clerk recommended the J3's and the rest is pick history :-)

User Info Menu

After 25 years of using the 1.5 mm JD Tortex 500 picks (FWIW the SAME pick with a few in reserve as backup for probably 20 years), about 5 years ago I got turned on to the D'Andrea ProPlec picks. First I used the Fender style then switched to the small teardrop style. I really, really like these picks. However, I keep losing the darn things!

User Info Menu

I really like Dunlop Primetone heavy 3mm picks.

Attachment 16606

User Info Menu

Thanks for your replies - I'm quite amazed that there are so many picks with a pointy playing edge...

User Info Menu

Jazztone 204 and Jazz III. Getting two sets of V-picks for Xmas that are supposed to be similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Thanks for your replies - I'm quite amazed that there are so many picks with a pointy playing edge...
    I find I miss the strings less with a pointed pick :-) Seriously, for me rounded picks have too "soft" a tone and not enough of an attack. The J3 picks are a good compromise between a smooth sound and bounce back from the strings.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 does the trick for me. Eliminates the attack and darkens the tone a bit.
    Jazz Guitar Pick-big-stubby-jpg

User Info Menu

Either Jazz III Max-Grips:
    Jazz Guitar Pick-maxgripjazziii-11-png
    Or 1mm Stubbys:
    Jazz Guitar Pick-stubbyreg-11-png

User Info Menu

Keep trying others but always have come back to a Fender or Gibson heavy tear drop.