The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 114

User Info Menu

I've seen and read a lot of reviews and opinions around hear about Eastman in general, but there just seems to be very little to be found about the ER4 El Rey. I was wondering if anyone had any real experience or opinion on that particular model.

Here is one of the very few if not only video I could find of one being played/demoed:

Any feedback or input would be very much appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As soon as the Eastman 371 and 403 models came on the market, there were constant threads being populated and multiple new and used instruments for sale at different venues, yet I've seen the El Rey 4 for sale but once or twice in the past year. Being that the guitar has been on the market for some time now, I can deduce that there hasn't been much buzz surrounding this model.

My guess would be that it is every bit as comfortable and sounds at least as good as my El Rey 2, which I consider to be one of the few semi hollow guitars that can hang with the big boxes. It also seems to me that the larger body of the 4 would compensate for the neck heavy construction of the 1 and 2 , making it a comfortable, versatile, and balanced instrument. If I had one in my crosshairs and was in the market for a semi hollow, I wouldn't hesitate to pounce.

User Info Menu

I've wanted to try one since the day they were announced. There have been lots of conflicting reports of the actual specs but it looks like a great basic design.

User Info Menu

I've just bought an ER4 online. It should arrive in two or three days. I'll let you know what I think, and do any measurements you want.

User Info Menu

Rob, Will you please measure the nut width and string spacing (E-E) and check if there is any room to increase the string spacing.? I was very interested in this model but for some reason at least from Eastman's specifications, they switched to a 1 11/16" nut versus the rest of the ElRay class which is 1 /3/4"

rob

User Info Menu

Forum member Top Of The Arch! had a post on an ER-4 a couple of years ago IIRC. I thought it looked lovely.

I know there are mixed feelings about the ER-1 and ER-2.

Never seen an ER-0 or ER-3. I have thought the ER-1 and ER-2 sounded quite nice - certainly hollower than they look - but I had a Yamaha thin line at the time I heard it and wasn't going to change as it didn't do anything extra. And I couldn't play well enough to make a difference anyway (still can't, but trying).

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi Rob

I bought that ER4 a few hours / days before you. I hope you were able to find another, or similar instrument.

I've had it for 3 months now. I bought it within 30 minutes of seeing it online. I don't see that as being risky since I'm not fussy about scale lengths or neck radius, only build quality, which is a different thing of course.

It's a very impressive guitar - sounds excellent, looks good and very playable.

I went to a jazz gig last night and played 2 songs and was told after that I played well and sounded good. That's not always true of me, so I felt complimented. The ER4 does sound very good, but not in a traditional arch-top way. I think the extra wood under the cutaway gives it a boost in the mid-frequencies and especially if you play on top of the wood at around the 8th to 13th frets. There is a definite volume and sustain boost here. In all other respects it sound just like any other full hollow body guitar.

The Custom Red finish is very glossy but can easily be damaged, so I'm having to be very careful with it. The guitar's shape is very modern which is what I wanted, but not everyone like that.

The fingerboard is quite flat so I can play fast on it. The volume and tone controls do what you'd expect them to do. The pickup works fine too. It does feedback at high volume! At 2.25 inches thick it is quite comfortable to play.

I'm not planning on changing to something else!

User Info Menu

A year ago my local guitar shop had an ER1 that I absolutely loved. At the time there was no way I could swing the price and shortly, that guitar was gone.
    Since then my financial situation improved.
    Two weeks ago I stopped by the shop (Area 22 Guitars in Brevard, NC) and this beauty was hanging there! It's actually much nicer than the first I tried out. Needless to say. This baby came home with me!
    It plays beautifully and sounds fabulous! I'm loving it! Now it just needs a set of Chromes and...maybe a new amp!
    Opinions - Eastman El Rey-uploadfromtaptalk1437363781378-pngOpinions - Eastman El Rey-uploadfromtaptalk1437363818632-pngOpinions - Eastman El Rey-uploadfromtaptalk1437363846885-pngOpinions - Eastman El Rey-uploadfromtaptalk1437363882254-png

User Info Menu

Love it!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Eastman won't push more original designs like this...these are so cool...the future of jazz guitar, now.

User Info Menu

The guitar is less than 5.5 lbs. The action is almost too low, but I'll set that when I put on the heavier flatwounds.
    I agree that the design is unique and to me, beautiful, as is my D'Aquisto Solo. This El Rey is almost as loud acoustically and so much less headache amplified. Thanks for compliments!

User Info Menu

Thats a beauty, I had one and loved it but the guitar was neck heavy. It was never comfortable to play unless sitting. If you find the same thing, try changing the tuners to a low mass tuner, it will probably solve the problem , it you have one thats neck heavy of course. Im sure youll enjoy it. Bob

User Info Menu

I have to admit, I have always wanted to get an El Rey but my money has just ended up elsewhere. I might be doomed to buy one if I ended up playing one in a store. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Hi Bob. Thanks! I only play sitting but did notice a little neck dive. Not as bad as some guitars I have had, though. I'm probably going to change the Gotoh tuner buttons to ebony and shave a few grams off, that helped on other guitars.

User Info Menu

You have a Beautiful Guitar. That is one of 3 three remaining in my Bucket List.
    The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet is, I'd have to learn how to play all over again without a finger rest.
    I wish you Lots of happy times with it. Thanks for Sharing.
    Joe D.

I have an ER1 as well. I like the combination of spruce and mahogany on the ER1. It's a unique guitar for sure. And really gorgeous woodwork.

User Info Menu

Is this guitar a semi-hollow? I dig the design.

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument and reasonably priced as well.

Does it have a nice, warm, mellow tone that would be appropriate for chord melody, or is it more focused on single note play?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gspirro1
    Hi Bob. Thanks! I only play sitting but did notice a little neck dive. Not as bad as some guitars I have had, though. I'm probably going to change the Gotoh tuner buttons to ebony and shave a few grams off, that helped on other guitars.
    you wouldn't notice neck dive sitting but the el rey is uncomfortable to play standing because of the neck heavy issue. Jeff Hale used to add fishing weights to the inside of the jack on the el reys he sold to correct the problem. Apparently it didn't take much to get it to balance it. The eastman semis are my favorite eastmans.

User Info Menu

It's hollow. It is made to try to get a big box tone from a small guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred
    Beautiful instrument and reasonably priced as well.

Does it have a nice, warm, mellow tone that would be appropriate for chord melody, or is it more focused on single note play?
    yes it does. Here's a demo I did of mine.

User Info Menu

Jack, That is absolutely world class.
    Extraordinary playing.

Question, did you add the finger rest or was it on there on the stock instrument?
    If they are available with the finger rest, then it just moved up my bucket list..

Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Jack, That is absolutely world class.
    Extraordinary playing.

Question, did you add the finger rest or was it on there on the stock instrument?
    If they are available with the finger rest, then it just moved up my bucket list..

Joe D.
    i added the pickguard. The el reys were coming with a tiny pickguard for a while but it looked like an afterthought. Not sure if it still comes with one anymore. The el rey also uses plastic for the inlays which I wish they'd re-think.

I'm waiting to find a used ER-4 which has a bigger body and I assume is better balanced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Gorgeous.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Eastman won't push more original designs like this...these are so cool...the future of jazz guitar, now.
    El Rey = super cool guitar for sure

On the topic of Eastman originals, my Pisanno AR380CE is really working for me. Completely different animal from the AR371 I traded in. Try one out if you get the chance. They sorted it out pretty well IMO.