The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 114

User Info Menu

MusicIan do feel any problem with the neck being heavy on el rey 4? This was a problem with el rey 1 - 3.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Goteborg

The ER4 is not neck heavy, and balances well when sat down with it. This was very important to me.

Many years ago I bought a big Lakewood dreadnaught-style guitar instead of a small bodied acoustic because I couldn't get on with the neck heaviness of the smaller, lighter instruments I tried in the shops.

For the Eastman and the Lakewood, the extra body wood has allowed good balance on my knee, so that my hands can concentrate on the neck and strings.

I hardly ever play guitar with a strap around my neck either.

N.B. I have just re-registered as "Music Ian", and MusicIan is now "dead"!

User Info Menu

I'm considering swapping a solid body I own for an Eastman El Rey ER4. I don't have an opportunity to play this guitar. I've searched on this website and read the posts regarding this guitar. I'm interested to see if there are any more recent opinions about this particular model. I don't play standing up often so neck heaviness isn't something I'm too concerned with. I'm mostly using this guitar in a straight ahead manner i.e. Pass, Montgomery, Benson. I also like the 1 3/4" nut width.
    Last edited by rob taft; 08-12-2016 at 04:31 PM.

User Info Menu

why not save a few bucks and get the ER1 or ER2 used? They sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    why not save a few bucks and get the ER1 or ER2 used? They sound great.
    The 4 is very different guitar than the other El Reys.

User Info Menu

Since first seeing the El Rey I hoped they would make the ER4, then they make it and it only has one pup, sigh.

User Info Menu

I had one and it was a mess. The top had a crack that was finished over at the factory and after two weeks the frets started lifting off the fingerboard. Eastman offered to fix it so that was OK but just try and get a trial period. As Ive said before, Eastman quality is still hit or miss. If you get a good one youll love it, just make sure you check it out 100%. Bob

User Info Menu

Bob, Thanks for your advice. I have never played any of the El Rey models or for that matter any Eastman so I don't have any experience with the brand. I do like the specs and shape for the EL Rey 4.

User Info Menu

They do make some really nice guitars. As I said, if you find a good one , its a keeper. Ive had probably 10 or 12 of them and about half were really nice guitars, the others just developed problems over a fairly short amount of time. I would not buy another new one unless it was a leftover unsold for a few years . Any problems should show up after a year or so. The nicest one I got was a Jazz Elite 16" from G n J that was a few years old unsold. Still have it just dont play it. Ive gotten into the acoustic archtops with floaters now. Bob

User Info Menu

Here are a few pics. of the one I had, it was a cool looking guitar. Never got the chance to really know it though. Bob

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-dscn1161-jpg

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-dscn1164-jpg

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-dscn1163-jpg

User Info Menu

The Jazz Elite has a much more classic look than the El Rey 4 but the same 16" size.

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-dscn7656-jpg

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-dscn7658-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Opinions - Eastman El Rey-dscn7663-jpg 

User Info Menu

one thing that turns me off on the el rey are the fake pearl inlays. They're plastic. For that price, you should get better than plastic IMO.

User Info Menu

one thing that turns me off on the el rey are the fake pearl inlays. They're plastic. For that price, you should get better than plastic IMO.
    According to their website, the material used for the inlays n the El Rey 4 is pearl (Although there are definitely other mistakes in their on-line specs for this guitar so I certainly can't be sure about the truth).

User Info Menu

The El Rey 4 has real mother of pearl inlays. My El Rey 1 had the fake mother of toilet seat inlays , dont know about the ER 2 or 3 . Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    The El Rey 4 has real mother of pearl inlays. My El Rey 1 had the fake mother of toilet seat inlays , dont know about the ER 2 or 3 . Bob
    the 2 has white plastic. I don't find them ugly or distracting. I actually like the design. I don't like blank fingerboards personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I don't know what they are made from, but the design is ugly (imo) and distracting. Would rather have a plain board than that.
    It's just a variant on the old Gretsch thumbnail inlays and whatever anyone may think of them aesthetically, functionally they work great. They're incredibly easy to see whereas center dots are completely useless to me. They're completely out of my line of sight.

As for plain boards, that's always my first choice coupled with highly visible side markers.

The ER is a quirky design generally and the ER 4 takes those quirks to an even higher level by applying it to a conceptually more conventional type of guitar. I think it's natural that people are going to have extreme reactions to it both pro and con. I've never had the opportunity to play one but I've love to give it a go. In fact, it's probably the only Eastman that really interests me.

User Info Menu

I played a used one in a GC in Chicago. It was very nice. It had a good acoustic tone. I would have bought it if I weren't done with that kind of thing.

User Info Menu

The thing that makes the El Rey so unique is the combination of a true hollow body, the lack of F holes, the geometry of the configuration, the wood and the construction. It has a very unique and beautiful tone that is unlike any other hollowbody or semihollow. To me, replacing it with a 16" body is kind of sad if they've truly discontinued the original model.

User Info Menu

Been looking for a unique Jazz box and really liked the Martin Taylor Higher end version
    but did not want to spend $3,000. Bought an Eastman ER1 after trying all of the ER line. The ER1 has a unique and full sound. The others were great but sound a lot like my double cuts and PRS guitars.

my question is strings for the ER1. What do other users play on the ER1?

thanks,

tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tcaron20
    Been looking for a unique Jazz box and really liked the Martin Taylor Higher end version
    but did not want to spend $3,000. Bought an Eastman ER1 after trying all of the ER line. The ER1 has a unique and full sound. The others were great but sound a lot like my double cuts and PRS guitars.

my question is strings for the ER1. What do other users play on the ER1?

thanks,

tom
    I use Newtone Archtop .012-.052 double round wound nickel on a round core. Tried flats, but ultimately went back to rounds.

User Info Menu

Anything works and if you want a traditional jazz sound than a 12 or higher string set will do it the easiest. Flats or rounds just comes down to which you like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Two days ago, I took delivery of a Eastman Custom Shop Elrey4. The guitar was assembled and finished by Eastman's Custom shop in CA specifically by the head of their Custom Shop Otto D' Ambrosio. First off let me say that Eastman has been great to work with on this project. This was a bit out of the box but they were game. It has turned out better than I could have hoped for.

Primary differences between the my stock ElRey4 and this guitar are:

Floating Pickup made by Jason Krivos
    Longer Tailpiece
    Only one inlay at the 12th fret and one on the tailpiece
    Pickguard with mounted controls
    Amber finish
    Ebony Knobs on Schaller Tuners
    Top is thinner and the headstock is thinner and tapered (This is different from my current 2014 ElRey4)
    Fret work is fantastic.

I am very pleased with this guitar. The Krivos pickup is very clear and very interactive with the tone control. I can see where this would make a great acoustic archtop pickup. It is a very unforgiving pickup when it comes to technique i.e. you hear everything. I play fingerstyle and I love the acoustic nature of this guitar. For a thinline guitar the guitar has some nuance and volume. I put up some more pics next week and I hope to have a sound clip/video as well.

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-eastman_customedition_guitar_er4_back_050917-jpgOpinions - Eastman El Rey-eastman_customedition_guitar_er4_front_050917-jpg

Opinions - Eastman El Rey-img_1551-jpgOpinions - Eastman El Rey-img_1553-jpgOpinions - Eastman El Rey-img_1552-jpg
    Last edited by rob taft; 05-24-2017 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't wait to hear it - this is gorgeous. Big congrats. And wow, that is one slim pickup. I didn't know it was even possible to make a pickup that thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Rob, I was following this on your other post about it, I am shocked by how nice it came out. That color is amazing. Great choice. I always wanted one of these. I can't wait to hear a clip of it.
    One of the most uniquely beautiful guitars out there. Awesome.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

i was unaware there was a custom shop- in california, of all places. how does it work?