The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

This isn't exactly an NGD but I thought I would post this, before it goes.

Here is an Ibanez Artist AM205 made in japan in 1983. The Artist series is one of, if not my fav series of guitars ever made. The range had depth and the quality was awesome. It really is a range that stands up to and in many cases above, other manufacturers of the time.

This one is a rarer less known variant of the AR series (think double cut Les Paul). Its essentially a Gibson 339 but in this case, it wasn't the Japanese copying, rather Gibson, as the Am205 preceded the 339 by some 20 years.

Lighter and smaller than a typical 335 yet with plenty of hollow depth for its size, the AM205 is a great comfortable alternative that doesn't really sacrifice in tone, compared to its bigger cousin.

As you would expect, then fit and finish is very good and the playability is excellent. Ibanez (FG) have always made great necks, that can be set up very easily and this one is fast and low.

Having A/b'd them with the new Chinese Artcore range, there is a noticeable difference. Thats not to say the Artcore is bad, its not. The Japanese one has a better weight (heavier), better balance (not neck heavy). The woods are lovely and the finish is thinner or feels lighter. The pick-ups are also punchier and more dynamic.

The neck is fast but not thin. I'm not sure of its construction because it is hidden by black paint, which is probably the only negative I could mention. Other than that, you can clearly see a lot of money went in to the fittings. The bridge is lovely and the machine heads look like Flash Gordon could use them as wings. Not the type of thing you see these days in the Mass produced market and its the little touches like this, that make it so endearing and of course the overall packaged looks classy, refined and detail. The pearl used is exquisite (like on all the high end artist series). Just look at the colours in the neck inlays.

So all in all, a very nice, very warm, open sounding guitar, which is surprising considering its smaller body. Having played my share of ES-335's this one is (imo) more resonant and acoustically pleasing, given it size.

Another great guitar from the golden age of Ibanez

Ibanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-1-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-21-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-11-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-2-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-8-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-9-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-3-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-10-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-7-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-6-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-5-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-15-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-12-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-16-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-14-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-19-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-18-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-17-jpgIbanez AM205 Artist 1983 japan (think Es-339)-ibanez-am200-20-jpg
    Last edited by Archie; 11-06-2014 at 10:00 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Very nice guitar, but better in what way?
    Hey just my luck! I just saw some other guy on another thread selling one of these too. My lucky day!

David

User Info Menu

Congrats on a real pretty guitar. It's in stunning condition for a guitar of that age. The gold plate looks immaculate.
    Ibanez AM205AV.
    Back in the day, when I was about 15, this, coupled with a Rivera designed Princeton Reverb II was my dream setup. I got the amp but I never got the guitar. I remember the adverts with the Neil Peart lookalike in mid air stage jump.
    Aren't they building these new, again?.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 11-07-2014 at 01:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Hey just my luck! I just saw some other guy on another thread selling one of these too. My lucky day!

David
    How did you reply with a quote from another thread? Thats essentially impossible!!

You sir have skills

:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    High guys,

I'm selling a 1983 Ibanez AM205 semi hollow (like the Gibson 339 but better).

Its in fine condition with only a few small dings, mostly on the side and not through the paint. 1 scratch on the back and smaller scratches all over. Of course that sounds worse than it is, in reality anyone viewing the guitar more than 2 feet away would think it was new. There is one ding to the back of the neck but it is small and does not detract from the playability.

There are no chips to the headstock. No buckle rash or cracked binding. It has been played but obviously not very much and looked after very well. Frets have plenty of life left and have been dressed, so no work needed there. Pickups and other metals look very good with little tarnishing and everything works as it should.

The neck is straight and the truss rod works effortlessly with plenty of room to tighten if needed. Action is low without buzzing and the smaller body makes it very comfortable. Compared to your average 335 this is so much more resonant and lively (imo).

All in all a very very good example with no issues. If you were in the market for a semi hollow, for the price this is unbeatable (but I suspect that doesn't need to be said).
    A lot of Artist models are well played and suffer for it. In relation, this one is an excellent example and in its condition, quite a find.

Come with OHSC (fully working)

International postage available and paypal on request. Skype viewings are also welcome for serious buyers.

£899 no offers. For £300 more than a new Chinese one its a **Bargain** and a far superior guitar.

Many Thanks
    Does it work like that ?

User Info Menu

Did you buy the guitar back from yourself? Wow, it must REALLY be fab.

User Info Menu

Did you buy the guitar back from yourself? Wow, it must REALLY be fab.
    He bought the back, but he found out he needs the front and sides too.

David

User Info Menu

Man, I forgot about those speed knobs and boomerang strap buttons.

User Info Menu

But is it as good as a Xerox?

User Info Menu

But is it as good as a Xerox?

No its better ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Man, I forgot about those speed knobs and boomerang strap buttons.

Yeh I'm waiting for them to make a come back

User Info Menu

Cheers for all these comments guys, you'v put a big smile on my face. Been getting quite heavy round here recently, this is much better :-))

User Info Menu

Sure grip knobs, Super 58s, lovely quilted top, smaller and lighter than a 335... No wonder so many guys want these. Nice score !!

User Info Menu

Hi,

thanks for the fantastic article about this guitar.

Could you please describe how is the neck shape of the 80s model?
    Can you compare it with other guitar necks?

Is it different than the neck of the most recent version of the guitar?.
    I think there was a reissue in 2013...

Thank you. Alvaro.

User Info Menu

....years later...I am looking at more than one on Reverb. Some read "Prestige" on the headstock and others "Artist." What is the difference? ...both AM-205, though.

User Info Menu

Artist series | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

Prestige series | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    ....years later...I am looking at more than one on Reverb. Some read "Prestige" on the headstock and others "Artist." What is the difference? ...both AM-205, though.