The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez AS153. I was never happy with the pickups. They were very plain sounding and lacked character. I guess 'lackluster' would be an adequate description. I swapped them out for the Ibanez pickups used on the AS200 (3PU1J158G1 and 3PU1J158G2). The difference is HUGE! It has become my favorite guitar. Compared to the Super 58 Customs, the new ones are louder, articulate and have more bass punch. Sustain is longer and the treble strings sparkle. Pick attack becomes a whole new art form with these pickups. I'm sure things will change somewhat as I adjust pickup height and find the sweet spot, but these things are amazing.

WOW!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Here is Scofield himself he talks about this guitar near the beginning of the interview , he is a solid guy real down to earth he speaks well here on the whole subject of the pro music world. Regards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nodog
    Hi,
    Here is Scofield himself he talks about this guitar near the beginning of the interview , he is a solid guy real down to earth he speaks well here on the whole subject of the pro music world. Regards.
    Great video. Really enjoyed that. Thanks.

"You don't need to study the theory as much as you have to put in the time." (Not anti-theory at all,, but he stresses how you have to put in a lot of time to become a good jazz musician.)
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 09-11-2015 at 09:42 AM.

User Info Menu

You know, that Scofield video might make a good OP for a separate thread. I know it's the same guitar at issue, but hearing the guy it is named after talk about it, play it, and talk about his own development, well, that's what I call "special".

User Info Menu

Hi

So what does it mean that a PU are A5 or A3?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klausm
    Hi

So what does it mean that a PU are A5 or A3?
    Type of alloy used for the magnets : AlNiCo 3 or AlNiCo 5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Type of alloy used for the magnets : AlNiCo 3 or AlNiCo 5.
    Does the type of Alloy have such a big difference???

User Info Menu

Few examples of this instrument being played by an absolute master. Sounds amazing IMO.

User Info Menu

Cool posts! Fun to hear Jesse Van Rueller on the Ibanez. His seems to be the made in Japan version.
    I really love Jesse's playing, he's amazing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Well I read it somewhere when I was doing quite intensive research before buying the SS300. The source seemed reliable enough to make my statement.
    Honestly I can't remember today where I found the info concerning the fact that they were Chineese copies of the original super 58.
    And that the JSM100 has the same Pickups.
    The Ibanez "58 pickup puzzle" is kind of annoying and gets on my nerves at times.
    They seem to deliberately confuse everybody.
    I mean, pickups on a 700 € (and upper costing) instrument, are very important, and we should be able to know exactly what we buy...
    And there is no fetishist thing in that !
    The super 58 sound different than the customs than the chineese super 58 than the S58 than the.... ah what the f... !
    Anyway, the S300 is a fabulous guitar, and I prefer it to my 81' AS200, and guess what, as well as the pickups..
    My goodness, that is a bold statement! that immediately caught my attention because an '81 Artist AS200AV is the very dream guitar missing from my stable. I have an '83 Artist AM205AV that is getting me by, but I still pine for an '81 Artist AS200AV. SS300 does look interesting, indeed.