The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 85

User Info Menu

Customs are A5 (early Customs were ceramic) and S58's are A3.
    I've got an 81 AS100...unreal instrument. If I had to let go of that guitar or the 335...it'd be a tough choice. Those vintage S58's are fantastic PUP's. I have them in five guitars...really sweet warm tone without any mud.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbear
    This. To put it even simpler, the Customs are a hotter pickup. The Super 58s (in comparison to the Customs) are going to be mellower/warmer.

I'm assuming they're the customs because they do have the stamp on the covers. They are very lively. The tones I've gotten so far are very bell like. I haven't experimented with overdrive sounds yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    So what exactly is the supposed difference between the 58 and the 58 custom?
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherland
    This. To put it even simpler, the Customs are a hotter pickup. The Super 58s (in comparison to the Customs) are going to be mellower/warmer.
    Others here may be able to offer a better comparison. I have owned three guitars with Custom 58s and two with Super 58s (could have been Super 57s in one case, I'm not sure). Perhaps more importantly, I've read a cartload of reviews. Regarding the Custom 58s, all of the more sensible opinions seem to concur that they have a sharp/bright edge with the tone control at 10 which, however, is easily taken care of via the control, and that the pickups are capable of darkening up very nicely for a wide range of sounds.

Personally, I like the idea of having a little extra brightness at my disposal if needed (considering that reintroducing brightness through the back door is hard to accomplish). I guess that the Super 58s are indeed “mellower/warmer”, compared to a more “modern” sound of the Custom 58s, although the latter are definitely neither “hot” (at least not in terms of sheer output) nor sterile. Could be that the Super 58s offer more “depth” of sound, I'm not sure.

(From my readings, I am also under the impression that the Customs were Alnico from the very outset. I gather they were introduced as “ceramic” on the Ibanez website by mistake, similar to the other little mistakes that have been pointed out here. I clearly remember reading that, although I probably cannot find the source anymore. Anyway, to me it seems that the transition from ceramic to Alnico is just a self-perpetuating myth that has since become well established and which I won't believe until confirmed by first-hand experience from a trustworthy source.)
    Last edited by palindrome; 10-27-2014 at 03:50 AM.

User Info Menu

The Super 58's are basically a copy of a Gibson 57 but they can't call them 57's, the other main difference is the Super 58's are made in Japan and the Customs are made in China. I have 2 of my Ibanezes with Classic 57's, the 57's and the Super 58's are very similar in tone on the same amp settings and the Customs are as stated in the previous post a bit brighter but IMO are a very nice pickup. The tone of a pickup will vary from guitar to guitar, as an example the 57's in my Gibson ES175 sound different to the 57's in my Ibanezes and 175 has a different sound to my ES339.

Isn't the Chinese Version equipped with an alnico V magnet where else the Japanese version is equipped with an alnico III magnet!?

User Info Menu

I think your right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    They also get it wrong on other models and on at least 2 of their top of the range made in Japan by Fujigen guitars they have the wrong specs and body sizes on their site so you can't take a lot of notice of what they put on there. I currently have 5 Ibanez guitars an LGB300, an LGB30 an AF200, an AF151 and an AFJ95, if you look at the photo the OP posted you can clearly see they are customs but I'm obviously wasting my time as you know better.
    Hi Para - I'm sorry if you thought my posts came across as telling you that you were wrong. That certainly wasn't my intention. Indeed, I thought that on most points I agreed with you: i.e. (i) the Ibanez sales web-site is inconsistent with how it describes the pickups on the JSM 10 (and several other models !), (ii) Customs usually have S-58 N or B designation engraved on the cover, and (iii) I cannot deny that this is certainly visible on the publicity photo of the JSM10 - and confirmed by the OP. Conclusion - the JSM10 has Super58 Customs.

Nevertheless, I am still trying to understand if, and how, the JSM10 might be substantively different from my AS153. The Ibanez blurb tries to suggest that the pickups are different, whilst still listing them as Customs, which is totally backed up by the engraving on the covers, as you point out. However, the parts catalogue (https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.nsf) has them listed with different part numbers to those on an AS153. Hence, I conclude that, in agreement with yourself, they are Customs, but that they may be of a different spec to those in my AS153.

User Info Menu

Take no notice of me m8 I get grumpy it's an age thing my wife just ignores me, I'm not sure without metering them but the 58's on the LGB300 might be a bit hotter than normal they certainly sound different to the the 58's in my AF200. I see in the parts list one model super 58 has been discontinued and they quote a new parts number which doesn't exist 3PU1PA0024/25.
    This is a Custom 58 neck from one of my guitars.

Ibanez JSM10 John Scofield signature model-58-custom-2-jpgIbanez JSM10 John Scofield signature model-58-custom-1-jpg

User Info Menu

They also get it wrong on other models and on at least 2 of their top of the range made in Japan by Fujigen guitars they have the wrong specs and body sizes on their site so you can't take a lot of notice of what they put on there. I currently have 5 Ibanez guitars an LGB300, an LGB30 an AF200, an AF151 and an AFJ95, if you look at the photo the OP posted you can clearly see they are customs but I'm obviously wasting my time as you know better.
    whats your favorite for a mellow jazz sound ?

Pingu
    AF120

User Info Menu

Not for nothing but according to the Ibanez reps who frequent the Ibanez forum...early Custom58's are ceramic. There is definitely some confusion over there. Just go with my ears.
    Also Gibson57's are A2...Super58's are A3. All PAF flavor...but definitely their own sound. I'm playing five guitars with vint. S58's and as many Gibson's. To be fair...I only kept the 57's in one Gibson (an SG). One thing that is pretty significant is pot/cap values. They make a big difference. I change Gibson pots to 500's (if they aren't already) and the neck cap to .015...really opens up the tone.
    Just my perspective.
    Last edited by jbear; 10-28-2014 at 12:25 AM.

User Info Menu

All semi-hollow As-200 Ibanez clones sounds different?
    I know only that my orginal As-200 sounds completly different than Gibson es-335.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    whats your favorite for a mellow jazz sound ?

Pingu
    AF120
    Guitar or pickups?

User Info Menu

One thing that is pretty significant is pot/cap values. They make a big difference.
    Certainly a big point, for what my views on this are worth, and I wouldn't mind taking a caps-and-pots workshop for dummies unless it were for the consierable hassle these things involve with (semi-)hollow guitars.

Which, more pertinently, reminds me of the AS200 I once bought on ebay, with a malfunction of the tritone switch, which I was trying to fix... I'm not sure if removing and reinstalling the wiring of an AS200 is the most invidious task in dealing with guitar electronics, but it must be close...

User Info Menu

What makes the Ibanez JS100 cost 1800 more than the JS10 and 2000 more than the AS153? they appear to be the same except for the JS mention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al Br.
    What makes the Ibanez JS100 cost 1800 more than the JS10 and 2000 more than the AS153? they appear to be the same except for the JS mention.
    probably because the jsm 100 is made in japan and the others are made in china, that's probably the main reason.

User Info Menu

I've been lusting after these and here's a spec comparison:

Product Compare

things like compound radius neck and some different materials involved.

User Info Menu

There is a vid on Youtube, gent named Nic doing a demo on his AS135. Gives a good idea of the sound range. But even so, comments posted indicate possible finish issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    My AS model also has the engraved Super 58 Customs, but my AFJ91, which allegedly has a single Super 58 Custom, isn't engraved.

I just received my LGB30 yesterday and it is supposed to have Super 58 Custom pickups per the Ibanez website, but
    neither of the pickups are engraved. My AM93 DID have the Customs engraved.

User Info Menu

Just compared the new JSM10 to the AS153. I have an AS153 and a friend on mine just purchased a new JSM10. The JSM10 sounds incredibly close to the AS153 with a tad less mids, almost unnoticeable. The big differences are the (JSM10) headstock, the slightly bigger neck, placement of the plug, and pickguard. I much prefer the mahogany neck in the AS153, which is less brighter and also the neck feels more comfortable (to me).

Cheers,
    Arnie...

User Info Menu

I just recieved my Ibanez SS300.
    It's a fantastic guitar, and I feel that the Jsm10 is the same kind of guitar. What I mean is that they both are made in China, they have exactly the same pickups.
    Actually the pickups are not Super 58 customs, but chinese made Super58s.

I own a 81' all original AS200, and the SS300 does compare to it in playability, sound quality, this Chinese made guitar is incredibly crafted!
    I have noticed no flaws anywhere on it.

Of course that should be a standard on a 1150€ instrument, but lets face it, it's not always the case anymore.

The SS300 is astounding, the pickups are just the best I've heard, and this guitar is 100% Chinese craftsmanship..

maybe some won't agree but I think it's impossible to buy such an instrument for that price anywhere else than Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Ibanez SS300- looks interesting.

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar. Sco and Sheryl Bailey have given me double-cutaway envy. It's not an everyday agony, just sporadic. But one of these days the itch will be scratched.

User Info Menu

Guitar or pickups?
    fav of your ibanez guitars for jazz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    I just recieved my Ibanez SS300.
    It's a fantastic guitar, and I feel that the Jsm10 is the same kind of guitar. What I mean is that they both are made in China, they have exactly the same pickups.
    Actually the pickups are not Super 58 customs, but chinese made Super58s.
    How are sure this is chinese made 58s not custom 58? simply because of the absence of engraving?

I realized on US Ibanez website, the 58 custom is no longer appearing. I m so confused.