The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I hope you can help me - I want to buy an EQ pedal to alter especially my guitar's high notes to create a more "jazzy", muted sound. So, basically turn down the high frequencies. The rest of the guitar is just perfect, I play with the tone control turned all the way down already.

I just realised that there's something called a parametric EQ that allows you to focus on a more narrow frenquency to alter it - given my, hopefully adequate, description of what I want to achieve, would I be better of with a parametric rather than the traditional graphic EQ? Does anyone here know?

Many thanks in advance if you can advice me

Per

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

just out of curiousity, what kind of amp do you have now, and how is the EQ set there?

User Info Menu

Fender Princeton 112 Plus - Treble 2, Bass 4

User Info Menu

I'd suggest you record your guitar thru your amp thru a mic to some computer based software if you can. Then you could play with both kinds of eq and decide which one suits you better.

User Info Menu

You will have a difficult time, I think, finding a parametric EQ in pedal form.

User Info Menu

TC Electronics make a great compact pedal size parametric EQ...But maybe you might check the distance between your high E and B from your pickups... on humbuckers I usually measure about 4 /32 holding down the highest fret...also action height make IMO a difference I keep mine at no less than 3/64th...String size also matters the bigger the thicker the more darker...There is nothing wrong with dropping you highs on an amp if it sounds better Tuck does it..I have a fulltone fat boost that works very well with the high end roll off and a fatter tone...now I like my highs not thin but angelic...fender amps are known for thier highs, I have one and love being able to cut through.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys
    This was the pedal I came across that got me thinking:
    ARTEC PARAMETRIC EQ - U.K. International Cyberstore

Very cheap, looks very solid as well.

TC Electronics are top notch, but too expensive for me (read: my wife would kill me...slowly)

I've got 12 flats on at the moment, and would consider going thicker. How much difference does the distance from string to pickup make?

User Info Menu

doesn't that princeton have a midrange control? i've always thought some of the cheaper solid state fender models have some pretty good jazz tones in them.

i like the idea of tweaking sound after it gets into the computer as well. sometimes in a home setup, a little post production is necessary to boost levels, EQ, and add a little 'verb if things sound too "boxy."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by perfischer
    Hi,
    I hope you can help me - I want to buy an EQ pedal to alter especially my guitar's high notes to create a more "jazzy", muted sound. So, basically turn down the high frequencies. The rest of the guitar is just perfect, I play with the tone control turned all the way down already
    i think, if you're looking for a classic jazz tone, turing the guitars tone control down all the way isn't necessarily the answer. to me, a classic jazz tone is all about a warm and pronounced midrange---not all bass and no treble.

i assume the guitar in question is the one in your avatar?

User Info Menu

No mid-range on the Princeton, no. The "clean" channel is not interesting, so I'm using the Drive channel, which has reverb and a "Contour" knob, with the gain set as low as possible and the volume at around 2 (this amp is VERY loud).

Guitar is Ibanez PM35, yes (happy face)

It's easy to get the sound right when getting into a computer, but I'm looking for the actual sound from the amp. But given what you said, Beaumont, perhaps the idea is to work with the mid-range levels. So, back to my original question: parametric or graphic? Or does it matter much at all?

Thanks for your responses!

User Info Menu

Parametric allows you to more precisely dial in a given freq. than does graphic.

User Info Menu

I'm using the Drive channel, which has reverb and a "Contour" knob, with the gain set as low as possible and the volume at around 2 (this amp is VERY loud).

!
    i'm wondering if that's the issue. even with the amount of distortion set low, the amp may be voiced on that drive channel in a way that there's a bit of high end "sizzle." i've always felt a solid state amp tends to have that on the dirty channel...i know this isn't good news, but i don't want to steer you wrong--i'm just not sure if the answer is in a pedal...it might be time to look into an amp that does more of what you want it to do.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure you're right, I just don't have the £800 for a Henriksen.

I might add that on the big Peavey amp in the jazz club where I'm jamming (tonight in fact) I don't seem to have the same issue, but then again you don't have much time to dwell on such matters when you're on stage

Cheers.

User Info Menu

No mid-range on the Princeton, no. The "clean" channel is not interesting, so I'm using the Drive channel, which has reverb and a "Contour" knob, with the gain set as low as possible and the volume at around 2 (this amp is VERY loud).

Guitar is Ibanez PM35, yes (happy face)

It's easy to get the sound right when getting into a computer, but I'm looking for the actual sound from the amp. But given what you said, Beaumont, perhaps the idea is to work with the mid-range levels. So, back to my original question: parametric or graphic? Or does it matter much at all?

Thanks for your responses!
    You may not be driving the amp to its sweet spot. Try lifting the gain on the amp and controlling the volume with the guitar.

Also, try maximizing the tonal range control of the guitar by doing the following:
    Setting the guitar tone to max treble and adjust the treble on the amp up until it gets too thin, then back it off a notch.
    Do the same for the bass with the guitar tone rolled off and adjust the amp bass until it gets too boomy and back it off. This should allow you to use the guitar tone control to its max effect and make the contour control more useful. You may find this makes the clean channel achieve the desired effect also.

Worth a try...I do this in every room I play to adjust the amp to the environment and try to maximize the tone and volume control in the guitar.

User Info Menu

Jazzaluk, that's awesome advice. Will experiment as soon as I get home today. Thanks a bunch.

User Info Menu

Also, try maximizing the tonal range control of the guitar by doing the following:
    Setting the guitar tone to max treble and adjust the treble on the amp up until it gets too thin, then back it off a notch.
    Do the same for the bass with the guitar tone rolled off and adjust the amp bass until it gets too boomy and back it off. This should allow you to use the guitar tone control to its max effect and make the contour control more useful. You may find this makes the clean channel achieve the desired effect also.

I have never heard that advice before either - what a simple but clever technique. Perhaps you should use it to start another thread - optimum methods for setting tone controls.

I'll just have a long overnight wait before I can try it.

Pete

User Info Menu

I hope the advice helps. It certainly is a good starting point to get the tone you want.
    I have a Mesa Boogie and an Evans JE200 hybrid. I found I was disappointed with the tone at lower volumes until I went through this exercise. With this technique I can get away with tweaking the tone (and volume) using my guitar only and quickly change the amps' character with the small midrange changes or contour changes. BTW, I have a nice graphic equalizer on the MESA but I never felt the need to use it.
    Last edited by Jazzaluk; 03-25-2009 at 06:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I spent a fortune on my Parametric EQ! It's a Pendulum SPS-1.
    It is a handy tool, with two channels of three overlapping bands, and loads of features. It does work like you say, to accent or cut certain frequencies, and is very effective to avoid feedback in a live setting.
    I think you might like a tube preamp better though. Manley?
    I use thicker picks and strings for a darker sound.

User Info Menu

Perfischer, just out of curiosity as I have the same guitar as you, but what strings do you have on your PM35? I have flatwounds on mine and don't feel the need to cut the high frequencies. I've used it on a Polytone, a Peavey Classic, at Fender Twin, etc. The polytone gives me more of the traditional jazz guitar sound amongst all my amps.

User Info Menu

Hi Chito,
    I play with 12s, D'Addario Chrome flats.
    Last edited by perfischer; 04-04-2009 at 10:22 AM.