The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 68

User Info Menu

The Acoustasonic sounds great, I had the luck of playing one at Mandolin Brothers, back in 2013. I believe the amp is the same, but the cab / speakers are quite different!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had a JMUL. I really regret getting rid of it. If anyone knows or hears of one for sale, please message me. I would love to give it another try.

User Info Menu

This guy tells that there were too many burnt and thus Fender stopped making them.

User Info Menu

It's come from many sources that the amp in question just wasn't reliable enough. As for the Super Champ XD, changing the preamp tubes and replacing the stock speaker with an Eminence Ragin' Cajun made it a great combo. Sold it before trying on Jensen's Tornado 10, which no doubt would have been fine.

Over the past few years, I have approached both Fender and Gallien-Krueger, proposing that they modify a contemporary lightweight bass amp by possibly removing something bass-specific and adding a reverb. The amps: Rumble 200 and MB 200, both of which I have used for jazz guitar. Fender's response: "Right on", no action. Gallien's: none. Fortunately, early Henriksens and modern DV Mark and Quilter heads are excellent and reliable.

User Info Menu

Hi All

Resurrecting this old thread as I've managed to just buy two of these amps in mint complete condition.

I've been looking for one for a couple of years finding them for sale abroad, these were generally for silly prices and would probably cost quite a bit for insured shipping ect, found just the head on ebay about a year ago which went for about £250 if my memory serves, and then all of a sudden two complete sets come up for sale, one on Ebay and one from a shop, I received the first one about a week ago and have been really impressed with the tone and how loud it can go, which is anything from quiet bedroom practice to really annoying the entire street, the DI out sounds pretty good into Logic Pro, so when the second one came up on Ebay I thought I have that one to as a spare as these were known for going pop.

If you see one going for a reasonable price (£300 to £400) complete I can recommend it, you can probably get something with better features and support for less but I am not convinced you can get a better clean tone for less and I have a/b'd up against a Line 6 DT25 head and cab, 2 X Hotrod Deluxe, Kantana Artist, Kantana 100 head, Yamaha THR100HD plus the matching cab. It held it's own against all of them, was very hard to tell the difference between the Hotrods (figures) but to my ears was warmer and fuller sounding than the rest, on a volume test it was easily the loudest with the Hotrods coming second. Not a scientific test but for what I paid for both they were only slightly more than I paid for the Kantana Artist, but is far more portable, louder and in my opinion much better sounding and looking.

Thanks Chris
    What Happened to All the Lust for the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight?-20190406_162241-jpgWhat Happened to All the Lust for the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight?-20190403_190319-jpg
    Last edited by Chrisg333; 04-08-2019 at 01:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Chris,

I think they are a pretty neat amp/speaker. People may have cooled on them when they realized that the head/speaker is a 2-ohm combination. It's difficult to find another cabinet that presents this load to the head, other than the UL cabinet.

It's a nice combination, however.

User Info Menu

I’ve had mine (head, cab, cables, footswitch and and speaker cab cover)on CL for a month. Someone offered to pay $400 CDN (about $300 USD) and come by in an hour to pick it up. Figured I may as well keep it.

User Info Menu

+1
    Im still using mine. Worked hundreds and hundreds gigs since 2007 without problems.
    For me it still tops everything I´ve tried, and that is plenty.
    The clean channel goes from Polytone to Fender blackface sound
    using the 3 Eq knobs (+ the little prescence knob).
    The gain channel covers Fender chrunch up to Marshall drive
    A thing I like is that a silky treble increases when turning up the gain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I had a JMUL. I really regret getting rid of it. If anyone knows or hears of one for sale, please message me. I would love to give it another try.
    A local player was selling off some gear and I got JMUL head with a speaker that he built himself. IMO his speaker is much better than any other one that I have heard in combo with this amp.
    I Love it !!
    It is great with my Archtops as well as my Teles.
    It is a great alternative to my JazzKat which seems to be on the fritz half of the time.

User Info Menu

A local player was selling off some gear and I got JMUL head with a speaker that he built himself. IMO his speaker is much better than any other one that I have heard in combo with this amp.
    I Love it !!
    It is great with my Archtops as well as my Teles.
    It is a great alternative to my JazzKat which seems to be on the fritz half of the time.
    I wonder if that was mine, with the grey tolexed box. If so, it was an Eminence Beta 8 in a double ported cabinet with an Eminence crossover and rear firing tweeter with an L pad. Designed with software from Eminence, and deliberately designed to cut off the boomy low frequencies that can feed back easily. This was done by selecting a smaller enclosure size until I decided it would probably be ok. Turned out fine, I thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krusty
    I wonder if that was mine, with the grey tolexed box. If so, it was an Eminence Beta 8 in a double ported cabinet with an Eminence crossover and rear firing tweeter with an L pad. Designed with software from Eminence, and deliberately designed to cut off the boomy low frequencies that can feed back easily. This was done by selecting a smaller enclosure size until I decided it would probably be ok. Turned out fine, I thought.
    Yes. It was yours. Not just turned out. Turned out great !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mine was the perfect amp in music school when I didn't have a car and needed to get around with a light amp. It sounds SO good but I haven't gigged with it for years because it has one EXTREMELY intermittent issue. It shuts off once in a while (I can literally go months without it happening) therefore I don't gig with it. I think it's related to bad power because it seems to be old buildings that make it act up. You wait 5 mins and it's right back to normal. I had it to a tech and he couldn't find any problems so I'm just kind of stuck. I have the head and cab if anybody is interested. I'm in Edmonton, Alberta.

User Info Menu

This amp checked alot boxes for me a number of years ago. However, it blew up and fried the speaker. I paid to have it fixed and sold it. Chip and new speaker. I didnt know at the time the speaker is a Jensen Neodymium, 2 ohms.
    So I am I crazy to look to it again? Is this a potential abusive relationship? Is this a desperate cry for help?

User Info Menu

There's no education in the second kick of a mule.

Since the advent of the Fender UltraLight, there have been many small, powerful, lightweight jazz guitar amps made available. Look at some of the others, including but not limited to Henriksen (I have a Henriksen), Evans, and Quilter.

User Info Menu

But this amp nailed the BF Fender tone way before the others. I have owned many older and recent solid state amps. Nothing has come close to this amp.

Plus the extras, wide variety of effects that I like, 2 channels, 250 watts, a sexy exterior for the head, ultralight cab with Neodymium speaker. handle on the side of the cab so you can sit the head on top, magnetic dimples that lock the feet of the head onto top... I can go on forever....
    So well thought out in details.

User Info Menu

Quilter like others are still looking to get that Fender tone stack, blackface tone! The head and cab for this is well design to work together for this amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    But this amp nailed the BF Fender tone way before the others. I have owned many older and recent solid state amps. Nothing has come close to this amp.

Plus the extras, wide variety of effects that I like, 2 channels, 250 watts, a sexy exterior for the head, ultralight cab with Neodymium speaker. handle on the side of the cab so you can sit the head on top, magnetic dimples that lock the feet of the head onto top... I can go on forever....
    So well thought out in details.

User Info Menu

The biggest difference from the other newer amps is this amp is the jazz amp with the Fender blackface tone. Many others recreate the Polytone vibe. Sorry but just not interested.

User Info Menu

The Fender Jazz UL was a pretty cool amp and idea. You were really locked into that cabinet, however. 2-ohms! Seriously!

Great amp, though. Sounded really nice for what it was intended for.

User Info Menu

The JMUL with a 4 ohm efficient speaker and a nice cab will sound just as good. Do you take the amp out of the house?

User Info Menu

I see the Fender Jazz UL as a flawed but useful early step on the road towards a new era of smaller, light weight amps. But they were unreliable, not all that small and they day has come and gone. If I really wanted a light weight amp with a BF style sound there are a lot of alternatives they'd I'd go to long before I consider a FJUL. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Sometimes it’s fun just to geek out with new/different gear even if it’s not terribly practical.

User Info Menu

If you (the OP) decide a priori that no amp will match your criteria except one that is out of production, rare, and problem-prone, then I predict that you will have a hard time finding an amp to buy.

My mother-in-law, God rest her soul, used to do that, i.e., decide that nothing was sufficient, and then complain that there was no solution to her issue. For example, somewhere along the line she decided that visitors always had to make an appointment in advance to come see her. She would upbraid (?) people who just dropped by. Not surprisingly, after awhile she stopped having visitors. Then she complained that she got no visitors.

Try a different approach: ignore construction details, type of speaker, "sexy" exterior, weight, and so on, and find amps whose sound you like. Only consider the sound. Then select from among those by your other criteria. If that doesn't provide you with a solution, consider re-weighting your selection criteria.

There is no perfect amp.

User Info Menu

I´ve been using my 2 JMUL amps since 2007. 3,4 kg. Never failed me. Guess I was lucky so far.
    It has 2 switchable channels, clean and gain with independent Eq + Reverb and delay which I need as a no-pedal player.

Im considering a Quilter 202 as a backup as it weighs only 2 kg.
    I still need to try it out.
    The DV or the Blu amp 1 top didn´t do it for me soundwise

User Info Menu

Many people fall for a beautiful person who knows how to make them feel good. Its probably the same with this amp.

I remember when your post about your amp blowing a fuse. I think you said you disconnected the cord from your guitar and you thought it might have shorted out the amp when the lead touched the ground. What a saga it was.

After reading about the amp, I went out and bought one used a few years ago. It does not get heavy use but is still going strong.

We always think, "This one will work out..." or at least hope that it will. Many a love story was based on this trope.

Maybe you can get a good one if you try again?

User Info Menu

Wildcat,
    Did you see this video? Richie Zellon had this amp, and ran into problems. I kind of wonder if the amp is sensitive to different power sources. A lot of gigs happen in older buildings. The electrical systems in those buildings can be suspect.