The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 68

User Info Menu

When I first joined the forum the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight was highly sought after and utilized. Seems now the only time I hear about it is when one breaks. Now, all I hear about now is Mambo, Quilter, Aviator, Henrickson, and a couple of others. What happened?

Do any of you still use the amp?

I still really like mine and I still like the Fender SuperChamp XD, which is another amp that got some coveting, albeit to a lesser extent. I only seem to hear about one now when it is being sold. What gives?

What Happened to All the Lust for the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight?-fender-jazzmaster-ultralight-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use mine daily

User Info Menu

Wasn't there something similar made by Ibanez?

User Info Menu

There may not be much "news" about the Ultralight because they're not made any longer. Those who have them are using them, but no one new is "discovering" them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Now, all I hear about now is Mambo, Quilter, Aviator, Henrickson, and a couple of others. What happened?
    Those amps are still made and readily available. The FJUL is not and it's a rare bird on the second hand market. It should still be a fine amp though.

User Info Menu

Yea, I think it's just because it's long out of production. Given the opportunity, I would be happy to have one again at a reasonable price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woland
    Wasn't there something similar made by Ibanez?
    I think you're thinking of the (recently OOP) Ibanez Wholetone. Nice amp, very different from the JMUL (besides being more 'dedicated' to jazz). I happen to have both the WT and JMUL, and they're quite different tonally and in response, IMHO. I've not had the pleasure in decades of trying a Polytone but it's been said that the WT was closer to that direction, whereas the JMUL is more like, well, a Fender.

Anyway, still using and loving my JMUL.

User Info Menu

I still think it could have been a great product if properly done.

Here's a nice clip of one with an unknown cab.

User Info Menu

and I still like the Fender SuperChamp XD, which is another amp that got some coveting, albeit to a lesser extent. I only seem to hear about one now when it is being sold. What gives?
    I love my Super Champ X2 on the clean channel. It also has a JMUL emulation (voice 16), which I believe the XD doesn't. It is also good for jazz, but since I lost the mid control when the USB broke, it doesn't sound as good as Channel 1.

User Info Menu

I always wondered if people played Jazz on a Jazzmaster.

I've only seen it widely used for jangly type pop/rock stuff.

User Info Menu

When I first joined the forum the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight was highly sought after and utilized. Seems now the only time I hear about it is when one breaks. Now, all I hear about now is Mambo, Quilter, Aviator, Henrickson, and a couple of others. What happened?

Do any of you still use the amp?

I still really like mine and I still like the Fender SuperChamp XD, which is another amp that got some coveting, albeit to a lesser extent. I only seem to hear about one now when it is being sold. What gives?

Guess that once an SS amp goes out of production and getting them repair starts getting difficult the love diminishes too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I still think it could have been a great product if properly done.

Here's a nice clip of one with an unknown cab.

What a superb young player!...I like his style!

User Info Menu

I don't know if it was because of an issue with mine, but I owned one and it sounded, small, midrangy, muddy and nasally. Great looking little head though! I did buy it used form ebay about 5 years ago...

User Info Menu

Guitar Center had a used head on their website for $325 earlier today, it's gone now. I wonder if I sparked some gas by reviving this thread; your welcome GC.
    From what I've read, too many repair issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtpal25
    ...From what I've read, too many repair issues.
    The JMUL is getting on in years. The fear of not being able to get it repaired, and there are repair issues, has led to a decline of interest in it.

User Info Menu

I have one and I want to sell it actually.

User Info Menu

Good amp. The problem is that Fender cashiered it after a couple of years, so nobody is buying a new one anymore. The installed user base is small and no new units are being produced.

By comparison, there are no new Polytones being made, but there are thousands of used ones out there. So word of mouth is still extensive even without new amps being produced.

FWIW, people should be more jazzed (sorry) about the Fender Ultralight, at this point, but you didn't see them in clubs/stages and there aren't thousands floating around. They are a sharp 2nd hand purchase, however. Good jazz sounds contained therein.

User Info Menu

The heir to the throne is the Quilter line of solid state amp heads. They'll do the traditional class D tones as well as the Fender style emulations.

User Info Menu

For me, I lusted after reading the glowing reviews here... but when I owned it, I didn't like the sound much. Sold the head quickly and kept the cabinet, thinking I'd use it. But it was hard to pair with another amp, being only 2 ohms, so it sat in a corner. Finally sold it just recently and that's that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    For me, I lusted after reading the glowing reviews here... but when I owned it, I didn't like the sound much. Sold the head quickly and kept the cabinet, thinking I'd use it. But it was hard to pair with another amp, being only 2 ohms, so it sat in a corner. Finally sold it just recently and that's that.
    As developed as your ears must be, I have to ask what you did not like? Was it too boxy sounding for you as well? Was is something else?

User Info Menu

Still working for me.
    The greatest amp I´ve played, and I have owned every types of Fender tube amps and Mesa mrk 2B
    I bought 2 sets to have a spare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    For me, I lusted after reading the glowing reviews here... but when I owned it, I didn't like the sound much . . . . Finally sold it just recently and that's that.
    My tag line on another site is, "I wanted one until I got one!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    My tag line on another site is, "I wanted one until I got one!"
    The story of this amp taught me to be wary of the "amp of the moment" type of thinking.

You see it over and over in life, the "must-haves." Often, they rarely live up to the hype.

I have one and I like it, but at least for bedroom playing, I use my Super Champ XD. The JMUL can get really loud, which is probably going to be great when I play with others. And I do like the tone, but I am easy.

I think things can be just "so good" and that is it. How good is "good" when it comes to a food, song, car, etc..

I am too old now to get caught up in any hype (although, to be honest I still lust for one of those Mambo Amps every now and then!).

User Info Menu

In the end, I love this powerful little amp. When a buddy comes by, I let him play it while I play the Superchamp XD.

For me, good is good and that is all I need. (That is probably how I stay happily married).

User Info Menu

A good conversation. The Acoustasonic Ultralight version of the JMUL is never discussed. It has only the clean channel and if you like the JMUL and value it only for the clean channel then the Acoustasonic Ultralight is an overlooked gem. Despite its Acoustic Guitar leanings, it works well with our kind of pickups, too.

I found a New Old Stock at a dealer's. He wanted its original MAP for it. I declined.