The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I tried another "experiment" with a Telecaster, middle position for funky rhythm.
    Henriksen eq completely flat, everything at zero.

Blackface setting for Barb Eq with trebles very high.

Now the Barb Eq is the winner, very very nice sound. I couldn't get the same sound with the Wampler 65.

I will post later.
    Good, curious to hear! What do you mean by zero / flat - everything at noon or everything to the left? The Henriksen is flat with everything at noon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, all knobs of the amp at noon. So there are no frequencies boosted or depressed by the amp's eq

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    These pedals are NOT designed to go in front of a roland or a vox. For that go with a flat eq pedal.
    good to know. i will continue to successfully not spend money on either of these, then. what is this flat eq pedal that you speak of?

User Info Menu

Most regular eqs are flat at noon - any graphic eq, any parametric eq, any baxandall eq (rc booster, shape eq, vfe rocket eq, acoustic guitar eqs like para driver di, etc...)

User Info Menu

oh, you literally meant an eq pedal set flat. i've had decent results getting an "instant jazz" sound from an rc booster (slight high cut, slight bass boost) but i was after the "flavoring" that a character pedal might provide, so i could pretend i had more amps. though i will say that a vox can provide a very nice clean that would work well for what people think of as "jazz". especially the normal channel- bright switch off for older buttery stuff and on for a clearer tone.

User Info Menu

I didn't meant that I'll try to be clearer - when you combine an eq with an amp the only way it makes some sense, to me, is one of them is flat. Putting a blackface pedal in front of a vox is something that does not make much sense to em (although it might sound good and ultimately that's the ruler). The Henriksen is great for these pedals because it's flat at noon. I know Fenders are supposed to be flat at zero but that never sound good to me honestly.

Preamps / eq pedals can have some functions - emulate an amp's preamp (barb eq, wamplers, rc boosters, tech 21 characters, ethos, all "amp in a box" pedals), warming a sterile amp (all the ones mentioned behind plus some clean boosts) and tone shaping (the eqs I mentioned before). Some combine several functions...

If one has a amp with non flat (say roland cube, close to a blackface eq) that sounds sterile then it's kind of tough because not many pedals are "warmers" and "tone shapers". The ideal would be a parametric eq with jfets to emulate a tube amp... No one does one AFAIK.

In my case with a Roland I just need a parametric eq to shape the mids and I can live with the "sterile" part. With an henriksen the Barb EQ was perfect. With my Mambo nothing, if something a parametric eq. With a Fender also just a parametric eq. No experience with Vox!

User Info Menu

As an aside note regarding the Barb Eq I noticed that it generates a little hiss when introduced in the chain of pedals.
    I had the impression the Barb Eq was responsible for that noise.
    Do you get the same? It is quite annoying if I pay attention to it.

User Info Menu

I have some hiss with the treble really high or the bright switch on. Just like real amps

User Info Menu

My most recent addition for "cleanish" pedal do give tone some character is JHS Morning Glory. Stack it with Retrosonic 808 (Tubescreamer) and EP booster and voila! - the tone machine.

User Info Menu

As an aside note regarding the Barb Eq I noticed that it generates a little hiss when introduced in the chain of pedals.
    I had the impression the Barb Eq was responsible for that noise.
    Do you get the same? It is quite annoying if I pay attention to it.
    I think I found the source of the noise. I was using a 1-Spot 9V DC adapter with a multi-plug cable for powering more pedals. I noticed that the noise disappears when the Barb Eq is powered independently of the other pedals (I used two 1-Spot adapters).
    I am thinking about investing on a good power supply like a Carl Martin Pro Power.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but how did you get that great clean sound with the Wampler?

With my Humbucker equipped guitar (Gibson ES-137, has Gibson '57 humbuckers) I have to turn to volume knob on the guitar way down before I get clean tone. Gain setting on the Black 65: minimum.

(The drawback of having to turn the guitar volume knob way down is that the tone of the guitar gets "darker".)

Even my Strat with Standard Fralin Single Coils (Vintage Strat set) there's crunch when playing at minimum Gain setting.

Settings on Wampler: Gain Setting: minimum; Gain Boost: disabled; Bass Setting: low, Mids: 11:00; Treble: 14:00, Volume: 10:00 (matches volume of amp with pedal disabled).

Is this to be expected? It was advertised as a "tone shaper" at low gain settings. So I was expecting less dirt at minimum settings. Otherwise it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    i agree the Henriksen has a very peaky attack sound and the eq cannot dial it out (main reason I didn't like it). Let's see if a get a Wampler to try but I have to say the Barber will be hard to kick from my modelling board...

I have an older Henriksen and to fix that I put foam in front of the tweeter, then gaffer tape over the whole thing. Attenuates the tweeter and gets rid of that sharp attack

User Info Menu

Hi PB+J, my Henriksen didn't have a tweeter... I think it was the cab design plus the power amp's response to transients. But mainly, cab design.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boneshaker335
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but how did you get that great clean sound with the Wampler?

With my Humbucker equipped guitar (Gibson ES-137, has Gibson '57 humbuckers) I have to turn to volume knob on the guitar way down before I get clean tone. Gain setting on the Black 65: minimum.

(The drawback of having to turn the guitar volume knob way down is that the tone of the guitar gets "darker".)

Even my Strat with Standard Fralin Single Coils (Vintage Strat set) there's crunch when playing at minimum Gain setting.

Settings on Wampler: Gain Setting: minimum; Gain Boost: disabled; Bass Setting: low, Mids: 11:00; Treble: 14:00, Volume: 10:00 (matches volume of amp with pedal disabled).

Is this to be expected? It was advertised as a "tone shaper" at low gain settings. So I was expecting less dirt at minimum settings. Otherwise it sounds great.
    Hi,
    actually I do not remember the settings I used on my guitar, which was a Collings I35 LC. The Collings sounds clearer than a Gibson with 57 Classics for sure.
    I have to update this thread by saying that, just recently, I sold the Wampler.
    Reason was that it seemed to me that something was not so nice, especially on the high E and B strings, when the Wampler was engaged. So I was not using it any longer. I can't exactly explain what it was, maybe a more compressed sound or a thinning of the notes.
    I replaced it with an Empress Para Eq, which I bought last year but I returned it the very same day.
    After a year I decided to buy it again and to keep it.
    I am also thinking that at some point I should get rid of the Barb Eq as well, and replace it with another EQ pedal.

User Info Menu

A really inexpensive and effective way t do this is with a Joyo American sound pedal.

User Info Menu

....I sold the Wampler....
    I replaced it with an Empress Para Eq......
    I have both now, do you mind sharing your settings for Empress ParaEQ to get a blackface sound ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I have both now, do you mind sharing your settings for Empress ParaEQ to get a blackface sound ?
    Hi,
    I'm not sure which settings would be close to a blackface sound, but, what I have understood so far is that you should remove a fair amount of mid frequencies to get close to that.
    In general, when I use the Henriksen without any other pedals, the knob I turn down to 9:00 o'clock is the second from left, which is the 300Hz knob. Those are the frequencies that in general disturb me a bit.
    I have tried to do the same with the Empress.
    But I don't think you'll ever get a blackface sound out of a Henriksen with an Empress Para Eq in front.

User Info Menu

If you want to get a sense of how a fender tone stack works just install the brilliant "tone stack calculator"

TSC

It gives you a graphical representation of what the fender/vox/marshall B/M/T tone stack does, and you can vary the knobs and see how it changes

At this link there's a great description of how it differs from a Baxandall stack

Passive Baxandall

The fender mid scoop is almost impossible to eq away--i forget the best settings, it's like mid on 10, bass on zero and treble on 1--and it moves around, but in general it's centered between 300 and 1000. It's pretty sharp too.

Honestly, a Joyo American Sound Pedal reproduces , say, a black/silverface Deluxe really astonishingly well. Try it for 40 bucks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PB+J
    Honestly, a Joyo American Sound Pedal reproduces , say, a black/silverface Deluxe really astonishingly well. Try it for 40 bucks
    which should be a cheap reproduction of a Tech 21 pedal, I think.

User Info Menu

If you do a 400hz mid cut it would emulate the fender sound, although when I tried doing that with a parametric I did not like the sound. There's more to an amp than just eq, pedals like the Barber emulate the whole Fender preamp.

User Info Menu

which should be a cheap reproduction of a Tech 21 pedal, I think.
    I have both the tech 21 Blonde pedal and the Joyo American Sound pedal, which is an imitation of the tech 21. The consensus at Free stompboxes seems to be it's basically a clone with a few small resistor differences. I like the Joyo better. it has a "looser" feel: less solid state, for want of a better word. it's a small difference.

I bought the Joyo on a lark, then bought the tech 21 used because I thought it would be a better pedal. Really, I like the Joyo better. Put it in fornt of a Henricksen amp (I have a 1x10) and you'd be hard pressed to tell it from a deluxe

Here's a very hasty clip--I just pulled the pedal out, fiddled with the knobs for like a minute, and pressed record. guitar is a homemade hollow body tele with Bill lawrence microcoil pickups, in the middle positon

First, a henriksen jazzamp, 1x10 cab, controls set flat, miced with a small diaphram condenser. Hall of Fame reverb. Then you'll hear the click as the pedal switches on and hear the difference

JO-YO

I don't have a fender style tone stack amp at the moment, so I didn't it and try to match anything specific.
    Last edited by PB+J; 11-02-2016 at 06:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PB+J
    I have to say that I like both, without and with the pedal on. Having sold the Wampler I might try the Joyo.