The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 504

User Info Menu

At church I plug in my Epiphone Emperor Regent (floating p/u) to a Roland AC60. That may be the cleanest sound I've ever heard from an amp. However, it's almost too clean. Someone also mentioned the Fender Deluxe Reverb which is a really nice amp, all types of sound, including some tremolo like Wes did on some stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I'm a newbee too. Hooked on here because I'm looking for that perfect amp (I like the words earlier on about the journey and the destination). I have two questions rigth away:
    Is a Blues Junior loud enough for a big band setting?
    Has anyone ever tried a Jazzkat, Tomkat or Phatkat? (my back already likes the sound of their weigth ;-)

Oh, my gear is: Gibson L4 CES, Hofner 557 (1958), Epi Emeror Regent, Epi Sheraton II. Now I play through a JC 77 and a Cube 30 and an old Polytone at rehersals (pity they will ot sell it to me)

Cheers,
    Joris

User Info Menu

I have had the 110 watt JazzKat for about a year now, and absolutely love it. It is 23lbs, and it is hard not to get a good sound out of it. I carry it weekly to my solo gig, and have used it in ensembles also.

I wanted the Acoustic Image/Raezor's Edge combo, but didn't want to spend that much $. This was the compromise. I am very happy. I tried Polytones, Roland Cube 60's, Rivera, and Evans. All nice amps, but I liked the JazzKat best.

User Info Menu

My Amps:135 watts Fender Vibrosonic reverb(build 1972-1974?)
    My Guitar:Westone(1979)
    effects:I use reverb and vibrato(Tremolo)from my amp.
    I'm happy with my old equipment.
    Saludos

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm using a Yamaha T100C. This all tube amp is designed by Soldano for Yahama and was build in the US. It has two switchable channels with seperate controls for gain, volume, tone and reverb. This results in an amp with a total off 11 tubes (7 ECC83 and 4 6L6GC). Even the "line out" and "send and return" circuits are tube driven. Although there's only one 12 inch speaker, this amp has got massive headroom and covers all styles from jazz to metal. In fact it's so loud that at the latest gig I played with my funkband the PA technician turned my channel off.

User Info Menu

hi boys,
    in the late 60"s i bought a fender telecaster deluxe and a dual
    showman amp.They both still sound great together,but new valves have
    always been a pain to get,thankfully i haven"t had to buy many,but you
    CAN get a full sound with this rig.
    cheers yorg.

User Info Menu

Trace Elliot - Super Tramp Twin.

Very clean sound, and bought only by 150€ to a friend as new!
    It's a great amp.

User Info Menu

New Fender Product Super Champ XD

I just tried one out @ Sam Ash yesterday. I am looking for a practice AMP. This is a tube AMP that also has Solid State technology on one channel with effects. My purpose is to get a classic tone... I am leaning towards the Cube 30 however.

Tony

User Info Menu

My search for a great sounding jazz amp led me to the Carr Rambler a 1-12" 35 lb tube (6l6) amp with reverb, tem, and triode (15W) and pentode (25W) switch. It is as warm and wonderful as a Fender twin but you can carry it with one hand while carrying your guitar and gig bag. I bought it several years ago on 48th St in NYC (I believe it was Manny's - same side of the Street as Sam Ash's guitars). I knew they had a variety of boutique amps and I went there with my main guitar (Gibson 336) at a late morning hour during the week and I was able to try out different amps while not being rushed or interrupted.

I also have
    -the Twin and use that for larger venues;
    -a Mesa Boogie F-50 purchased to back-up the Twin (had some bad experience with the Twin blowing tubes at a regular gig on stage which vibrated)- you can get some warm and very clean tones out of it but it is not as warm as a Fender;
    Polytone Minibrute IV with a 15" - nice, light, reliable but "dry" sounding to me. It gets used for gigs in small venues as a bass amp or for a Yamaha P120 piano. This can produce classic, warm jazz tones with a fat jazz box;
    -Fender blues Jr - very nice tone -use it for practice.
    -a couple of other solid state amps - nothing to write about.

I know a player who has a mid-1960's Fender Princeton Reverb; it is small (1-12") amp with a very sweet tone. If I came across a good deal on one, I would buy it.

It seems that "jazz tone" means alot of different things these days. I am biased towards tube amps; solid state amps such as the JC-120 (I have tried one out) seem too sterile. I have heard the raves about the Roland Cube 60 but I haven't heard one yet. One of these days solid state engineering will put all tube amps and us tube bigots out to pasture. It is remarkeable that it hasn't happened already.

User Info Menu

My search for a jazz amp led me to the Carr Rambler a 1-12" 35 lb tube (6l6) amp with reverb, trem, and triode (15W) and pentode (25W) switch. It is as warm and wonderful as a Fender twin but you can carry it with one hand while carrying your guitar and gig bag. I bought it several years ago on 48th St in NYC (I believe it was Manny's - same side of the Street as Sam Ash's guitars). I knew they had a variety of boutique amps and I went there with my main guitar (Gibson 336) at a late morning hour during the week and I was able to try out different amps while not being rushed or interrupted.

I also have
    -the Twin and use that for larger venues;
    -a Mesa Boogie F-50 purchased to back-up the Twin (had some bad experience with the Twin blowing tubes at a regular gig on stage which vibrated)- you can get some warm and very clean tones out of it but it is not as warm as a Fender;
    Polytone Minibrute IV with a 15" - nice, light, reliable but "dry" sounding to me. It gets used for gigs in small venues as a bass amp or for a Yamaha P120 piano. This can produce classic, warm jazz tones with a fat jazz box;
    -Fender blues Jr - very nice tone -use it for practice.
    -a couple of other solid state amps - nothing to write about.

I know a player who has a mid-1960's Fender Princeton Reverb; it is small (1-12") amp with a very sweet tone. If I came across a good deal on one, I would buy it.

It seems that "jazz tone" means alot of different things these days. I am biased towards tube amps; solid state amps such as the JC-120 (I have tried one out) seem too sterile. I have heard the raves about the Roland Cube 60 but I haven't heard one yet. One of these days solid state engineering will put all tube amps and us tube bigots out to pasture. It is remarkeable that it hasn't happened already.

User Info Menu

I am new to the forum and have been playing guitar since '66. After playing through a lot of amps over the years, I have settled on the following:

I use a Roland Cube 30 for everyday playing. I like it very much, especially the JC Clean channel. It is very light weight and has plenty of output.

I also have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue but am usually too lazy to carry this around. If I ever play a gig again ;-) I will probably bring both of them along.

I play a Hofner Archtop through these and sometimes my Godin Exit 22. I am very happy with the sounds that I've been getting.

Cheers,

Bill

User Info Menu

I prefer prefer either a Fender Blues Junior or Blues Deluxe. I did a gig on Friday night were I had to play everyting from rock, country, blues and some jazz. I took a Les Paul with P90's and a 65 Tele.
    I used the Tele for 90% of the job. Rolling back the tone control, I was able to get a nice jazz sound and this was through a Fender Blues Junior. I normally use a Blues Deluxe because it is around 40 watts as opposed to Junior which is a very loud 15 watts.
    To say one amp is better than any other is a very subjective statement. One of the best amps I have is a Peavey Classic 50 with 4X10. In comparison, Peaveys were not considered very good. I have played some questionable Fenders.
    Believe it or not, Epiphone is producing some nice tube amps. You say,"Yes buth they are made it China". So is everything in your house as well as the clothes you have on your back.
    I have four Epiphone guitars. I wouldn't part with any of them. Also have three Fenders, two Danelectros and some I can't find at the moment.
    Bottom line, your equipment produces about 10% of your sound, the rest comes from your heart.
    Have a good day.

User Info Menu

I have been playing for about 30yrs. and have went through a great many amps on the way. They all had there place for what I was playing at the time. I have had everything from a Two Rock, Fuchs, (moded) `68 Silver Face Twin Reverb, `68 Silver Face Princeton Reverb, Mesa Mk.III, Bogner Shiva 112, GK 250, Polytones.... What I personally am into right now are Polytones for straight forward Jazz and a Princeton Reverb for Fusion and Blues (also a Tone King). I have read several peoples opinions on that the Poly`s color the sound---yes I do agree. They are a warmer non-analytical amp. The Acoustic Image and AER great amps but very non inviting. Having a transparent sound in playback (LP, CD, Reel to Reel) is what you want but for me not while recording. To me the AI is awesome for Upright and acoustics (though a little bassy) along with the AER sound awesome for acoustic. I am never been real clear on what your guitar is really supposed to sound like? I believe it is all subjective to whom is behind the strings and what they like to hear. I go out and hear people playing Strats & Teles and love their sound so I go home and want to buy one of them. But when I pick one up it is not the sound that I like to hear while playing regardless of the amp.

I have 2 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery`s, L5 CES with Alnico V pickups, Super 400 with a Charlie Christian pickup, Byrdland, ES355 & a ES350 they are all strung extremely heavy (355 & 350 w/13`s the rest with 15`s). For the most part I like these guitars through most anything that I play through. If you are playing a turd of a guitar and you buy a great amp you now have a polished turd, but still a turd none the less.

Guys like Wes Montgomery were also always looking for the perfect amp. Towards the end, Wes went between a Fender Tweed Deluxe (tube) and a Standel Custom (solid state) but he was always on the journey. He always had this somewhat grainy bit to his sound which I thought was awesome. There are a lot of great amps out there and it is part of the fun on the journey to try them all out. A lot also has to do with budget but there are great amps in every range.
    Just remember that most of all the sound is invariably in the hands of the player!
    Last edited by mr.l5; 03-03-2008 at 11:53 AM.

User Info Menu

This is right up there worth debating if the chicken of the egg came first, but...

I have a '65 bandmaster I put in a 2x10 cabinet w/ ceramic jensens. I think this is what I consider the best. I have a blonde blues jr. But haven't given it a workout as of yet. It would probably work fine for times I don't need the power of my blackface. I also have a polytone mini brute 2. The poly is great because it's 100W in a tiny package, but It doesn't sing like my blackface (of course), but the main problem I have with it is that it is VERY muddy no matter how I tweak the EQ. My archtop is way too boomy in the low strings.

I also have an old '57 reissue strat with texas special pickups and a "blender" wiring (which I love! find out more about it at acme guitar works).

Even the strat is muddy through the polytone. My vote is for fender blackface amps. They were mostly designed to have good clean headroom and give that beautiful glassy tone that really is touch sensitive. My archtop (a samick L5 copy, you'd be surprised how great that thing sounds) through the bandmaster is pure butter!

BC
    Last edited by bob3dsf; 03-11-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.l5

I have 2 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery`s, L5 CES with Alnico V pickups, Super 400 with a Charlie Christian pickup, Byrdland, ES355 & a ES350 they are all strung extremely heavy (355 & 350 w/13`s the rest with 15`s). For the most part I like these guitars through most anything that I play through. If you are playing a turd of a guitar and you buy a great amp you now have a polished turd, but still a turd none the less.

Guys like Wes Montgomery were also always looking for the perfect amp. Towards the end, Wes went between a Fender Tweed Deluxe (tube) and a Standel Custom (solid state) but he was always on the journey.
    Just remember that most of all the sound is invariably in the hands of the player!

Interesting, I've got a blonde Gibson Super V CES (Super 400 neck on an L5) from 1991 with some of the most incredible maple flame you've ever seen,.........on the back. The nicely yellowed spruce top isn't quite as spectacular. My ES175 has flame like that all around, Gibson cardboard top and all. I've got a GB10 too, as well as 5 various solidbody guitars.

My Boogie Formula Preamp and TC Electronics G Major sound just great with the Super V. So much so it's hard to listen to a guitar plugged into an amp these days. If Wes were around, he'd know what I'm talking about. No hiss, real hi-fi stereo sound, no microphones, nice nice tubes!

User Info Menu

Do you know the different amplifiers polytone makes this days?For example,i found on one website an amp from polyone calling spacesonics but i cannot find it anyway else,isn't strange?
    Last edited by Scolohofo; 03-23-2008 at 01:53 PM.

I found one on eBay for 300 bucks. Its a studio model that's not pretty, its heavy, but there is nothing that sounds like this. Super clean, really sounds like Wes.

User Info Menu

I recently picked up a Crate Vintage Club amp, the VC5212 (50 watts, 2x12). Two channels, all tube (4 12AX7s and 4 EL84s), reverb. I got it from a local chain that specializes in used equipment - it was under US$200 because it's a little beat up. Luckily, I bought an extended warranty, because it needed some work. I love the clean channel - it's really giving me the sound I was looking for.

It has the typical drawbacks of a tube amp -- it's big, it's heavy, it hums. There's no headphone jack and no line out either (although you can kluge a line out using the effects loop jack) -- but I think it's pretty good for the price.
    Last edited by Dirk; 06-08-2018 at 09:35 AM.

I play an Eastman archtop: Jazzkat or Aer compact 60 are the perfect amps (the first for traditional jazz, the second is more gypsy-jazz oriented)
    Ciao

User Info Menu

I have had a Roland but SO heavy. I now have a Polytone Mini Brute 2 and just love that thing. Bought on Ebay, got the reverb fixed and it sounds so clean and pure. Just love it.

Hi all, new to the forum, had a great time reading the article on jazz guitar amps.
    i recently went from a ibanez TB15w to a hughes and kettner attax tour reverb 100W and well it's no surprise but it rocks.
    didn't find to many people talking about H&K amps in jazz but i can say that this amp is definitely worth it for jazz, not a lot of headroom, sounds clips easily but i love it and it got that round and warm tone i've been looking for for quite some time. anybody tried H&K?

i use an old 75 hondo II LP copy with dimarzio pups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L4CES
    Hi all, just a word of warning for anyone who has a Gibson L4CES or ES175 or L5, stay away from a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe! The sound is awful, the feedback is even worse. They are nothing like the vintage Fender amps Wes Montgomery used. Also the Roland Jazz Chorus is a complete disaster with this kind of guitar, it almost defeats the purpose of having a nice Gibson jazz box. Try the Clarus/Raezer's Edge Combo, great clean sound, also the Polytone series of amps are good but they are hard to find.
    How strange,i bough me a L5 clone from samick and it doesn't sound right trough my roland cube60(i can hear the amp is digital),at the other hand i found the guitar sound so good with my HH and the eminence lil' budy inside f it.
    Last edited by Scolohofo; 05-19-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Hi Guys.
    It is funny, but no one mentioned The Lab Series From Norlin Music. I use those amps( a modified L5 with 1x15´´Speaker, instead 2x 12´´Celestions Speaker and a L9 with a 1x15´´JBL Speaker ) since 25 Years. For Jazz I play a blond Gibson L4 Custom ( build by Roger Hutchinson ) and for Blues and Classic Rock I use a Charvel Guitar. The Amp sounds always very natural and I got real big tone. When I play Classic Guitar for bigger Audience, I give the signal over mixer in this amp and it sounds alright too. It´s a shame that the factory ( at that time Norlin- Music was a part of the Gibson-Company )stop the building in the early 80´s. I´ve to mention that this amp is a transistory amp, but it sounds really like a tube amp. Rich tone and very warm.

All the best

Frank

User Info Menu

I have a Polytone Mini-Brute 2 and love that thing with my archtops. Had a Roland 120 but as others have said, too heavy, too much hiss, too much, too much. That Evans sounds pretty cool, too. Will get up on it and see what happens if the PT gives me some trouble at some point. Right now it is love, sweet love.

User Info Menu

I am surprised that the Gibson EH 150 or EH -185 didn't make the list.
    There's a EH -185 on Ebay right now also.

I love the charlie Christian swing era tones !