The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 504
    Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Civil Guy
    The polytones are bass amps, correct? Would any bass amp do the trick (Fender Rumble, others)?
    Most are transistor guitar amps, designed mostly for jazz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not all Polytones are BASS amps, some are specifically guitar amps, and others more bass amps, kind of like Fenders, Gallien Kruegers, Traynors, etc.
    But what ever gets you the sound you want, right???

User Info Menu

I have a JC120, and yes, it sounds good, but yes, it does have a hiss. I also find that playing through both channels at once really fattened up the sound. Oh well, gonna get a twin this year. Oh yeah, and a hand truck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lkmuller
    I have a JC120, and yes, it sounds good, but yes, it does have a hiss. I also find that playing through both channels at once really fattened up the sound. Oh well, gonna get a twin this year. Oh yeah, and a hand truck.
    How do you play through both channels at once?

User Info Menu

My guitar is plugged into a multi effects processor (Zoom RFX-2000) that has stereo ouputs. Guys have told me that it shouldn't make a difference whether I plug into one channel or both, but it really does.

User Info Menu

That's a good idea, never thought of that, thanks Muller.

User Info Menu

Hi all, just a word of warning for anyone who has a Gibson L4CES or ES175 or L5, stay away from a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe! The sound is awful, the feedback is even worse. They are nothing like the vintage Fender amps Wes Montgomery used. Also the Roland Jazz Chorus is a complete disaster with this kind of guitar, it almost defeats the purpose of having a nice Gibson jazz box. Try the Clarus/Raezer's Edge Combo, great clean sound, also the Polytone series of amps are good but they are hard to find.

User Info Menu

Of the amps I own:
    ultimate favorite amp: Fender 57-twin amp. Very clean, but something very different from a solid-state'r
    very close 2nd fave: fender jazzmaster ultralight: very clearn, plenty of warmth, plenty of power and headroom. I never use the 2nd channel's tube "emulation", never happy with it, but that's not why I bot the amp.
    3rd Favorite: Vox ac120, open back: its a modeling amp, but there are a couple of channels that I really like for jazz: the ac30 and ac15's, and I also use the blackface, and finally, occasionally I use the Boutique OD, believe it or not. I have to tweak around with each of the models to get the right sound, for some reason I can never just plug guitar in and turn it on and go... and presets all change the minute I'm in a different room or platform.

User Info Menu

I've been lurking for a while (thank Dirk!) and I just cannot resist a comment on this thread

I'm mainly a bluesman, but I do play some jazz jams as well.

For clear classic jazz tones, I use my Gibson BR-9 turned to about 8 and mic'd. My Mesa Blue Angel works well also, but since it's totally finger sensitive, you have to be consistent in your attack or you'll get more saturated tones. I have been known to use my twin reverb through a 15 cabinet to get more clean volume.

Every player has his/her own tone ideal. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    From all the amplifiers that I have owned, I like my Roland Jazz Chorus-120 the most. It has a beautiful reverb and very usable chorus. The distortion sucks big time though.
    Hi.
    I just joined this forum.
    I want to know, i own a Jazz Chorus 120 i bought 3 years ago and i don't play guitar very often. My question is , is it normal there is always a noisy sound always audible, low, but audible ?
    Thanks

I use a Hendriksen Jazz Amp. I have used it arena gigs as well as club dates and it is by far the finest jazz amp that I have ever experienced. Before this one I tried them all and they were all lacking some little thing.

The Ultimate Guitar Amp-henriksen-jazz-amp-110-jpg

User Info Menu

My amps
    1.Roland jc 55 ( light in weight - very clean - warm sound )
    2.Rivera 55/12 ( tubes )
    3.Roland Cube bass 30 : i'm using this little amp for both ( bass and guitar )

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

My name is Mark and I've been playing guitar for 7ish years and I have some decent jazz experience. Currently I'm going for my BA in Music at college and it's going really well so far. I've never written on the forums, but I'm on the mailing list and have been for about two years.

I was pleased to hear that Dirk liked the Classic 30. I owned one of those myself and that that it was an amazing amp. It provided a beautiful tube sound with a powerful EQ. I only needed to play through the clean channel once to find out that this amp was a keeper. After a while though, the Valves needed replacing and they were very expensive. It was at this point that I decided to switch to solid state.

It was hard to find one that I liked. While a lot of them sounded decent in their own way, I couldn't really get the same kind of sound I was getting from my 30, which- yes, I did kind of want.

I did find what I was looking for, but it's doubtful you'll find it at your local music store. The amp that I found was made by Tech 21 NYC, and the amp name is the Trademark 60. The Trademark 60 is a combo- basically a Sansamp. The thing about this amp that makes it different is that it's EQ. Instead of having an EQ that only boosts certain frequencies, it also allows you to cut them. As such, if you play though this amp with everything at 12 o'clock, it may not sound as you want it to.

Sansamp technology was built AROUND tube amps (much like the Cube, I'm sure) in an effort to get the tube sound without the weight and consistent need to replace valves.

If you go to tech21's website they'll give you sound examples, and they sound pretty good- but you're going to have to find one yourself to play with. The guitars that they use in the examples are cheap Yamahas, but the sound very nice through the amp. Like I said, since the controls are of a cut/boost nature, it takes a lot of tweaking to get the sound right. When you purchase the amp, the company gives you a manual with blank pictures of all the knobs/EQ so that you can write in the presets yourself (should you forget one/come up with a new setting spur of the moment) and also provides presets that they have discovered replicate the amp sounds of other famous artists which is really neat.

I had amazing luck and purchased mine used for the price of only 275 dollars. This amp has direct XLR out which can be used to plug into mixers for live play, or for boards/interfaces for a direct out into recordings. Having tested this out, I can tell you that the results are amazingly positive. If people are really wondering what this amp can do, I'll provide some examples of what I do with the amp.

I enjoyed reading your opinions, thanks for voicing them!
    Mark

User Info Menu

Hey guys. First post here! Thanks for having me.

Ultimate jazz amp? Well, I really like the Polytone. Used it with a Les Paul and an ES175 and really like the tone. Very dark. Very classic.

I have read that some folks tend to think that the Poly has so much of it's own sound, that the player tends to sound the same and that it's hard to obtain an original sound with one. I tend to agree with this. The Poly does cover up the sound of your guitar to a degree. It's not very transparent. But it does have a killer sound which I really like.

I have always tended to go Marshall for crunch and Fender for clean.

One of the BEST clean sounds to me is a silver or black faced Champ. And you can pick one up used for very little.

I know guys who also use the Blues Jr on their gigs.

If more power is needed, maybe a twin which is unbelievable. Not the "Twin Amp" but a 65 reiss or vintage model.

But the champ just kills!

User Info Menu

i have two amps that i swear by. the roland 120 and a fender twin.
    they have that clean sound that i love. i've heard alot about poly-
    tones but never had the chance to use one. keep on pickin'.
    riley

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by L4CES
    Hi all, just a word of warning for anyone who has a Gibson L4CES or ES175 or L5, stay away from a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe! The sound is awful, the feedback is even worse. They are nothing like the vintage Fender amps Wes Montgomery used. Also the Roland Jazz Chorus is a complete disaster with this kind of guitar, it almost defeats the purpose of having a nice Gibson jazz box. Try the Clarus/Raezer's Edge Combo, great clean sound, also the Polytone series of amps are good but they are hard to find.

I think that's what I "auditioned" my Super 5 CES with. Yep, it sucked.

You have an interesting guitar. Not many people know what a L4 is.

I should have bought one instead of my ES175 :} The Super V more than makes up for that mistake. Fanciest L5 you'll ever see. Blonde with super flamed maple back. Very authentic Wes sound.

My best sound comes from a Boogie Formula preamp and G-Major processor. It goes straight to the boards via speaker emulation in the Boogie. I've got a Yamaha i88x firewire unit for the A/D work.

I played my GB10 the other day thru a Boogie Mark IIC+. Not bad after you get adjusted to hearing amp hisssssssssss again! The IIC+ had a great clean channel. Reverb is somewhat weak though.

I should bring my Polytone downstairs to compare to the IIC. Might be an interesting jazz shootout.

User Info Menu

I have been using the same Polytone Minibrute (100 watts with a 15" speaker) since 1978! I have never found any amp that will compare to it for good Jazz tone and it has never needed any type of repair. I am also able to use it for a bass amp so it is versatile and fairly light for a 15" size. I admit I really don't have much use for distortion so I don't use that feature and also don't use hardly any of the reverb effect. Before the polytone, I have had several fender amps, a home made transistor amp, a Benson amp and several no-name amps that were worth just about what I paid for them. (not much) If I had to buy a new amp, it would probably be the new Bose Pa system with the radiating speaker system and a bass module. I had an opportunity use one at a recent jazz jam session and I really believe it may be equal to my Polytone and has the advantage of other mike and instrument inputs (total of 5 inputs) and would work very well with the quartet + singer I usually work with. Another subtle advantage is you actually hear the same sound the audience hears with the radiating speaker system.

Hello,

I'm really glad to read all that stuff about jazzamps. For my bluesy music I use a fender blues junior tweed. Very good sound and he stays a little longer clean and warmer than the black tolex version.
    For all the jazzy sounds I only use my polythone. I think it's one of the most classic jazz sounds you can get. I bought my polythone a few years ago in Rotterdam from a young gitarist, who was more looking for a bluesamp. My polythone is a minibrute III/IV with only a volume, bass en treble controle, a swith for dark and brite and a hi and low plug-in, no reverb, serial number 823. Could anyone know how old my amp is. I think about mid seventies, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he's in a perfect condition and I love his sound, esspecially with my old jazz archtop , a 1964 framus riviera with a new Kent amstrong pick-up.
    If anyone could help me with the age of my polythone, thanks a lot.

william

User Info Menu

I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it has taken me quite a while to get a good sound out of it... I think the next time I would go for something smaller. I once tried the Blues Junior and it was great, although no reverb.

User Info Menu

I started using a marshall Valvestate-100 watt amp for a jazz amp, most because at the time it was the right price and i needed the portability. As it turns out, the half tube/half solid state amp has been amazing.

it gets some head room, especially in places with flourescent light bulbs, but a ground lift helps to significantly reduce that. I also use a digitech RPX400 for extra reverb, EQ and the white noise reduction. as well as other effects such as chorus (althought the boss superchorus rack mount unit i have is a much better sound.)

much to overall surprise paired with the Ibanez Artcore series hollowbody i purchased, (i also have a '96 hamer studio with an amazing tone that i use for more funky sounds and some cool jazz stuff) it's been a pretty good to go setup.

That's not to say i wouldn't mind having a fender princeton chorus or deluxe amp (by no means as portable and light as what i have) but it's doing quite well these days.

ahhh the eternal search for the perfect jazz guitar amp currently I am very taken with roland Cube 60. It sounds great is very portable and should stand up to years of use. I also sometimes take out my Ampeg 15 watt class A Jet it gets that 60's bluesier jazz tone and then my at home practice amp is a Fender Jazz King with the 15" speaker it sounds great but is too cubersome to do the gear schlepping thing with(plus it broke on me twice !) I used to have a musicman 65watt 210 and this was the best amp ever for any syle it was HEAVY but worth it! I'd like to try another musicman amp maybe the 65watt 112 or 110 they are ebay often.

User Info Menu

I really like the Peavey Classic 30 and the Traynor YCV20R. I've always liked low watt tube. They both have very good clean. I like these better that the Blues Jr. because the Blues Jr runs too hot, plus with Peavey and Traynor you have the effects loop which is good in case you want to put some pedals in. I look forward to trying Peavey's new Windsor Studio combo that's coming out.

The Ultimate Guitar Amp-peavey-classic-30-jpg

User Info Menu

I've had tons of amps over the years (all combos) including an original blackfaced Fender Deluxe. I sold it for a song in the early 80's and regreted it as soon as I did it. When the 65 Twin Reissue came out I bought it and LOVED it for years. I got older and the Twin got heavier. By then Fender reissued the 65 Deluxe, I jumped on it! That'all I play for gigs and other than not having the mid control I love it. It's ALWAYS loud enough for dinner music gigs, clean and sweet for chicken pickin' country gigs and, driven a bit, is outragously good for Blues and Rock. I use no pedals or effects no matter what style I'm playing and the amp kicks butt. I've owned Polytone, Mesa , Peavey, Roland, Randell, Crate and various transitor Fenders. The Blues Jr. is what my church uses and is fine if it's miked. However, I've found it useless as a stand alone performance amp. It has no headroom at all.
    Thanks for letting me speak!
    Neal7

User Info Menu

Just to introduce myself; I'm playing guitar for 25 years now and learning new things every day so to speak. Although I'm not a pro and have a rather busy job.
    Last decade I played in several jazzcombo's, but also made sidesteps to Funk, R&B a.s.o. I had my first jazzguitar lessons from Wim Overgaauw
    (in a clinic way in Jazzcafe Vollebregt in Laren/Holland during the eighties)
    I think Jazzguitar.BE is a very interesting site, also for the more experienced guitarist.
    My favourites are Philip Catherine (what a melody lines) and Jim Hall.
    But also guys like Jimmy Bruno, Paul Bollenback and listen to the good old Joe Beck !
    When interested in unknown jazzguitarists visit the Emusic site.

I own several Ibanez guitars (a.o. the "LR 10" Lee Ritenour model).
    These days I only use my Gibson ES-350-T, a rather unkown model, but
    very easy to play.
    The sound is both warm and jazzy but also funky.
    I only use the element near the fretboard.

When exercising I use a Fender Pro 70 (semi-tube).
    Depending on the occasion during performances I also use a Fender Twin Reverb (full tube).
    Tuning always: Treble 8, Middle 4, Bass 4, Reverb 8
    Guitar: Treble knob 0 to 4.

Best regards,
    Adri D. Deelen

User Info Menu

I'm new to this forum. I shopped a couple of years ago for the perfect jazz amp, and there were choices, but not that many. I was looking at Evans, Polytone and Acoustic Image/Raezer's Edge. I went with Acoustic Image (Clarus I) and Raezer's Edge (NY-8). The head weighs about 4 pounds and the cabinet is about twenty pounds. I don't play out much, and it sounds great at home. I was looking for THAT sound, you know, the fat archtop jazz tone.

So now, a few years later, there are a lot more choices. Fender has a jazz head, hendrickson, jazzkat, I'm almost glad I didn't have that many choices.

My other two amps are a 1964 ampeg mercury (M-12) with new tubes and a replacement speaker (very heavy, but nice jazz tone at lower volumes) and a Crate GX-15R with a jensen mod 8 speaker (el-cheap-o amp with surprisingly decent tone).

Anyway, I like my AE/Raezer's Edge setup. I play an Epiphone Joe Pass that I have modified with a benedetto pickup(kent armstrong) and a home made free floating ebony tailpiece with a cello-type end pin connection.

I think that having pretty good hardware helps to get the classic jazz tone, but you still need the feeling and technique in your hands and head to nail it. That's why ten different jazz guys will have ten different sounds with the exact same setup.