The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Posts 451 to 475 of 504

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Imagine BAM200 with an on-board reverb. I've actually suggested this to the manufacturer. .
    I doubt if this will happen. I persuaded an amp-builder friend to fit a reverb into my Bam. After a few weeks he succeeded, and he said he'd never do it again- the BAM is already so densely packed with components that it only just fitted. Besides, TC also do a model which includes effects downloading ( although about twice the size) .

Most amps are fine for jazz without reverb, especially playing live. For the, me ideal reverb setting is the "you only notice it when it's not there' setting. Slightly moist, but definitely not wet.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, Franz, I think you're right. I've proposed the same to G+K twice; no response. I've used the BAM happily for a year without reverb. The tone is distinctly warmer and less sterile than MB200. Just a shade of reverb (or delay) would be perfection.

User Info Menu

Well, gang, I'm on my second Bud. I sold my first because I had a acoustic folky gig going and needed the bread for a PA system and board. I ended up cycling through a Bose S1-Pro and a QSC K8.2 setup for those interested. In my view the QSC K8.2 is a much better deal (whether you go with one cab as an "all in one" or go with two and a board).

Anyway, the Bud is a pretty ideal platform. It's tiny. Looks nice in the room. I can pipe iRealBook from my ipad into the box with Bluetooth or aux cable so I can practice for the walls. The tone is satisfactory -- punishing, if anything, of my mistakes. I am perfectly comfortable running straight in -- and for the record, I'm a 95% solid body player with mostly Fender style guitars.

Yes, I do have a Quilter Aviator 12". I wish it was an 8", but it satisfies all my occasional interests in bright F tones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Maybe a Vox AC4C1-12?

Any other tiny tube Models/brands/thoughts?
    I’m in the same position...
    Living room, quiet, jazz semi hollow Grez most of the time.
    Upstairs i have a 3rd power wooly Coates.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Walter Woods 100wt through an SPX-90 to a Mesa Theil cabinet with a Delta Pro 12” (Was an EVM 12L but too heavy)
    Funny now that stuffs all near “vintage”.
    The sound of velvet dynamite, IMO naturally.

‘74 SF Princeton Reverb with modifications (trans, tone stack), Bendix 5992s, with a 12” Delta Pro in it.
    Nice little sit home and enjoy amp.
    (Happily I got the 5992s when they were 100$/pair, can you imagine!)
    Interesting mention of a Walter Woods amp here - don't see that often, if at all. I know a guy who's used those since day one. And bought a back-up when WW stopped building them.
    He said the notes ' just fly out of them '.

User Info Menu

I came across an old thread about a madbean-type pedal that creates the poly tone brute sound. But didn’t find any built ones or reviews. How did that go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I and several other forum members have the Brute eq pedal . It contains the preamp of the Polytone MiniBrute. It's a super pedal.

User Info Menu

Hi Eck:
    Forum member jazzmus makes a pedal that is a Polytone preamp. You can search on him, I have it and it turned my Quilter from ‘unusable ready to sell’ to a decent jazz sound. With the pedal, the combination of the two comes near my Walter Woods. You can email Ras at brohammerrasmus@gmail.com. Ras is a good guy, builds a great product that really gives you a good jazz sound.
    dave

User Info Menu

Thank you so much guys! I’ve emailed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    I doubt if this will happen. I persuaded an amp-builder friend to fit a reverb into my Bam. After a few weeks he succeeded, and he said he'd never do it again- the BAM is already so densely packed with components that it only just fitted. Besides, TC also do a model which includes effects downloading ( although about twice the size) .

Most amps are fine for jazz without reverb, especially playing live. For the, me ideal reverb setting is the "you only notice it when it's not there' setting. Slightly moist, but definitely not wet.
    Its a shame..... I know it’s a really trivial thing, but I don’t really want to plug two things in at a pub or restaurant jazz gig. Quite often you are running the band off 2 wall sockets, or a 4 way plug board laid out in that stupid way where if you have a power adapter it instantly renders one of the plugs useless by blocking it.

An advantage of the BAM is it runs off a kettle lead. Pedals? Not so much unless I bring my board, which is a faff and few kilos of the weight I’ve saved.

For the BAM the lack of reverb is not a big deal as it sounds great without, but I’d definitely want one if I was using a more Fender tone. Also, rooms vary...

Anyway on the basis of reverb the AER got the gig the other night.... also, singers like to have an AER....

Maybe the DV Mark Jazz amp head might be worth a look. A laptop style power pack might be an ok compromise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Maybe the DV Mark Jazz amp head might be worth a look. A laptop style power pack might be an ok compromise.
    DV Micro 50 Jazz sounds fabulous for jazz. Now been replaced by Micro 60 which hopefully doesn’t have the quality control issues of the 50....

User Info Menu

Hi all, I don't post very often but I came across this great forum. I wanted to get some feedback on an amp I am selling. I have several amps but I never use this one (I don't play Jazz). I listed it on reverb to sell as I don't use it (but the tones are amazing at low and high volumes. I will include a link. Let me know what you think of the listing. please be nice! :-)

Thank you!

Polytone Mini-Brute II FREE shipping | GL Shop | Reverb

User Info Menu

That's a very desirable year model of the MB II. I own one just like that and play it daily.

User Info Menu

I watched the video on the Reverb page. It shows the MB II really works for a jazz box but is not suited to a Strat.

User Info Menu

I've been collecting amps since the 1960s and have all the valve Marshalls, Mesas, Voxes, Fenders, Ampegs, you name it, but the one I just fell in love with is the Mexican manufactured Special Edition Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV 1x12 Combo. It has it all and then some, only weighs about 40 lbs and is absolutely beautiful looking and sounding. It's the perfect amp to carry to gigs and will cut thru without having to mic it. Check it out, it's a jazz and blues man's dream.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msaint
    I've been collecting amps since the 1960s and have all the valve Marshalls, Mesas, Voxes, Fenders, Ampegs, you name it, but the one I just fell in love with is the Mexican manufactured Special Edition Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV 1x12 Combo. It has it all and then some, only weighs about 40 lbs and is absolutely beautiful looking and sounding. It's the perfect amp to carry to gigs and will cut thru without having to mic it. Check it out, it's a jazz and blues man's dream.

User Info Menu

Thank you sir!

User Info Menu

Hi anyone !
    On this search for the ultimate guitar amp, i decided to ask an amp tech to do a custom build for me, PTP in a head shape.

Please share your thoughts or reccomendations about this build, any advice is welcome

Based on a AB763 Twin Reverb :

MODS :
    50W ( 2*6L6s )
    Tremolo deleted
    Normal channel voiced into a lead channel ( mod mostly based on robrob's mod )
    Tone stacks can be bypassed ( to act like an EQ boost )
    Effects loop
    4, 8 and 16 ohms output
    Line out ( record or PA )
    Reverb ( based on Tone King's amps circuit ) active for both channels.
    3 way switch to select Negative Feedback ( Regular, Less or More )
    Master volume ( PPIMV )

COMPONENTS :
    Preamp Tube : NOS Mullard Heerlen
    Power Tubes : JJ's 6L6GC
    Sozo Blue condensators
    Xicon resistors
    F&T capacitors
    Bourns HRT pots
    Hammond Transfos
    MOD reverb tank

Something as subjective as an " Ultimate Guitar Amp " can't be done but in my eyes ( and ears ! ) this is a nice attempt !
    Last edited by Madansi; 01-05-2021 at 09:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Madansi
    Hi anyone !
    On this search for the ultimate guitar amp, i decided to ask an amp tech to do a custom build for me, PTP in a head shape.

Please share your thoughts or reccomendations about this build, any advice is welcome

Based on a AB763 Twin Reverb :

MODS :
    50W ( 2*6L6s )
    Tremolo deleted
    Normal channel voiced into a lead channel ( mod mostly based on robrob's mod )
    Tone stacks can be bypassed ( to act like an EQ boost )
    Effects loop
    4, 8 and 16 ohms output
    Line out ( record or PA )
    Reverb ( based on Tone King's amps circuit ) active for both channels.
    3 way switch to select Negative Feedback ( Regular, Less or More )
    Master volume ( PPIMV )

COMPONENTS :
    Preamp Tube : NOS Mullard Heerlen
    Power Tubes : JJ's 6L6GC
    Sozo Blue condensators
    Xicon resistors
    F&T capacitors
    Bourns HRT pots
    Hammond Transfos
    MOD reverb tank

Something as subjective as an " Ultimate Guitar Amp " can't be done but in my eyes ( and ears ! ) this is a nice attempt !
    Sounds pretty good to me. Any thoughts on the cab/speakers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Sounds pretty good to me. Any thoughts on the cab/speakers?
    The cab will be custom made by a wood worker. Pine instead of plywood due to weight ( only 7-8 KG for an empty 2*12 ).
    Being a noob about speaker swap, i'll order 2 WGS speaker. WGS G12C and WGS G12C/S. Will try both of them alone and the 2*12 mix, will keep what i like the best
    If you know other great speakers you can tell me, but i've seen only good reviews about WGS speakers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Madansi
    The cab will be custom made by a wood worker. Pine instead of plywood due to weight ( only 7-8 KG for an empty 2*12 ).
    Being a noob about speaker swap, i'll order 2 WGS speaker. WGS G12C and WGS G12C/S. Will try both of them alone and the 2*12 mix, will keep what i like the best
    If you know other great speakers you can tell me, but i've seen only good reviews about WGS speakers.
    I've built only 1 speaker cab, to house a 15" JBL, as an extension cab for my Music Man 112 RD65 or something. I had a JBL recone in the combo, and the combination with the cab was absolutely glorious. Clear, clean, and loud at any level. Room-filling.
    Most amps I leave the stock speakers alone. Celestions in my half-stack and a pair of Kustom mini-amps I quite like.

User Info Menu

I agree with Citizen74. Should be a great amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I agree with Citizen74. Should be a great amp.
    Thanks, i saw a lot of your messages about amps you build, so if you think it's a great amp i guess it will be one

citizenk74, about 15" speakers, i tried only one time, i found this beautiful for solo guitar, but in a band context i prefer to have 12".

User Info Menu

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 with these custom cabs I built. Quite lovely, but I do miss my Fenders, Riveras, and Dumble. Just can't handle the weight at 62!
    Attached Images Attached Images The Ultimate Guitar Amp-blues-rig_01-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzhead1969
    Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 with these custom cabs I built. Quite lovely, but I do miss my Fenders, Riveras, and Dumble. Just can't handle the weight at 62!