The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 504

User Info Menu

Lucky Dog!! I love those old Reverberockets and Geminis.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I did find a Roland Cube 60. Any suggestions on where to start settings, for that sound?

StraightNoChaser Guest
    I've got an Gibson ES330 TDL through a MesaBoogie DC-5 ,preamp tweeked with a BOSS GT-10.The guitar and the sound of the single coil pick ups is very responsive especially when I overcome my hatred of putting new strings on.
    The trouble can be that valve amps don't always sound exactly the same every time you switch then on,warm up time,ambient temperature and I'm sure atmospheric pressure etc can make a difference.But either way when its all going well; You can't substitute the 'tingling' edge to the sound produced by a valve amp with a transistor amp.
    There is another benefit of a MesaBoogie DC-5....only one speaker=less weight.There is absolutely no fear of lack of power either! handled by one Black Shadow 12",master volume has never been above 3,even at a gig.

User Info Menu

Am I the only guy in town with a Fender Cyber Deluxe? Agreed that about 80% of the presets are only for people with less than 19 birthdays, but the clean (manual) side of my Cyber Deluxe sounds a lot like a ...well.. Fender Deluxe. If you want to step out of the Fender box, there is a literal WORLD of sounds in that amp and you can select and save any of them to about 32 different programmable presets. One of the factory presets (Number 13) is called Jazz Box, and it is really a great amp sound for Jazz or non-distorted blues (think B. B. King)

I alreay ran into player buddies who POO POO the whole idea of a solid state amp. - Agreed that I like a great tube amp as good as the next guy, but a Mesa Lonestar Special is a little out of my price range. I have A/B ed a Hot Rod Deluxe and my Cyber Deluxe a couple of times and can fool just about anyone who doesn't peek.

Ron
    Last edited by Big Ron; 12-29-2009 at 06:51 PM.

User Info Menu

You're right that a lot of very musical amps are overlooked because they don't have the magic tubes. I've written above about my Jazzmaster Ultralight, which hits a real sweet spot in tonality, versatility and portability. Players seem to get caught up with what's socially acceptable rather than what's musically useful.

User Info Menu

So true, so true. I love vacuum tubes, as anyone on the forum will attest, but my BEST jazz amplifier is a Sunn Beta Lead solid-state amplifier. It's big, heavy and ten times louder than any sensible person would ever require, but my word, what a sweet tone ! It does exactly what it's supposed to do: make my guitars louder (Of course, one has to start out with a decent guitar .... LOL.)

User Info Menu

Roland cube 60 utilizing the blackface mode really works with my joe barden equipped g.e. smith telecaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirkji
    More about the most popular guitar amps used in jazz here:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_guitar_amps.html

What guitar amp do you use?
    -----------------
    Honestly, the Fender Super Reverb is a great great amp for jazz if you don't pull it very loud. It has a incredible warmth and tons of harmonics (4 Jensen speakers and vibrating bitch cabinet). Very good also for funk, blues and rockabilly. The black face reissue is really great!!!
    Why leave it out?

Djanka
    Last edited by djanka; 01-14-2010 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a Peavey Bandido 65, it sounds pretty good to me! Didn't cost a fortune either!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by valriver40
    since my last post i upgraded from a cube 30x to a new cube 80x and love it.
    I moved up from a micro cube. I di have several other amps; A Fender princeton, An epi valve jnr (great for blues!), and a Strauss (Aussie brand) 30.
    As for the Fender it is too bright. A local luthier says that the only way to get a decent jazz sound out of a Princeton is to unplug it.

The Cube 80 is everything I have ever wanted in an amp; fantastic jazz sound and solid state reliability.
    I am not anti valves, and I am not a brand name person. If it sounds good and is reliable, and fits a few other criteria (like the boot of the car, the wife's idea of an amplifier budget...(no amp can meet that one)), then I will go for it.

Flat3 Guest
    Rivera Chubster. Hands down one of the best clean channels ever, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Yesterday I had my new TomKat amp in the mail. It's impressive - seems to be just what I have always been looking for. Both my jazz box and my Yamaha SA 2200 sound sweet, and the Strat-type Blade is not half bad either. - Of course it takes a lot of trying out now.

Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

BB King used to endorse these and played the model with 2 12s in it. I use the combo amp with one 15 inch Electrovoice, conservatively rated at 100 watts, with on-board compressor/limiter and some very useful tone controls. Great fat clean sound. Thank Gibson (Norlin back then, I think) for the wheels. Also use the Blues Jr when I want a lighter load.

User Info Menu

I had a 67 Blackface and I only used it for jazz. I loved it. So warm! I had to sell it because I moved to Japan and couldn't take it with me with the hopes of buying something smaller when I got to Tokyo. Nothing really had the vibe of my Super so I'm still ampless and back in the US now. I sold my Super to a buddy of mine who still has it along with another he originally had... I plan on making the purchase back from him as soon as I can!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    I had a 67 Blackface and I only used it for jazz. I loved it. So warm! I had to sell it because I moved to Japan and couldn't take it with me with the hopes of buying something smaller when I got to Tokyo. Nothing really had the vibe of my Super so I'm still ampless and back in the US now. I sold my Super to a buddy of mine who still has it along with another he originally had... I plan on making the purchase back from him as soon as I can!
    Hi scotto,I'm using '67 BFVR for 43years in direct 100V with no troubles.
    I have step up transfomer,but I don't use.
    Same sounds,difference is only the position of VR set value littel bit(0.5)

User Info Menu

Kawa, thanks for the information. Are you in Japan? I've been thinking about having a blackface super head made and experimenting with some speaker configurations. I'm really curious about a 15" speaker and less weight since the Super is a bit heavy.

User Info Menu

Scotto, Yes from Japan. It's a one of a way,but please keep the originals.
    10"has the guitar sounds meanings,then 4×10"(super)2×10"(vibrolux)
    There are many of amps for compact.
    Last edited by kawa; 02-02-2010 at 02:28 AM.

User Info Menu

i agree with scotto i played my friends 72 super reverb it was great but i have a fender ultmate chorus fenders version of the jc 120 and it sounds great

User Info Menu

For cheap, at home, acoustic amp: Ibanez 25 watt. [Condenser mike clipped to the sound hole of my classical. I don't know why, but it just does [work.]

User Info Menu

I'm mainly using a Carlsbro PM12 monitor. 100 watts, 12" + horn. Fed by a POD XT Live. It's fabulous. It's light and the POD make it sound like whatever you want it to sound like. Perfect for live work.

User Info Menu

Here's an idea for exploring amp models that I've discovered (thanks to others here in the forum): Plug your modeling amps into a crystal clean solid state like a Polytone Brute. The SS amp won't color the sound (much). Lower wattage amps like the Vox VT's and Roland Cubes tend to have small speakers but decent modeling. Plugging into another amp and pumping it through a larger, better speaker will give you an idea of what you like - Fender, boutique, Vox, Marshall (God forbid for jazzers) or JC-120, etc. Also, because you're using the smaller one as a pre-amp, you don't have to crank the gain to get a good clean tone, you just turn up the SS amp volume. I like the Vox VT's because they use tubes which really do make a difference.

User Info Menu

I have been using the Henriksen Jazz Amp for several years now and I love it. For me, it is the best jazz guitar sound I have found for my archtops. And... my Strat sounds really good through it as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitaroscar
    I moved up from a micro cube. I di have several other amps; A Fender princeton, An epi valve jnr (great for blues!), and a Strauss (Aussie brand) 30.
    As for the Fender it is too bright. A local luthier says that the only way to get a decent jazz sound out of a Princeton is to unplug it.
    I traded my Princeton Reissue for a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Doesn't seem like it would be a big difference except for a few watts, but the DRRI is much sweeter. Maybe still not right for a serious jazz person, but works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nic
    I traded my Princeton Reissue for a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Doesn't seem like it would be a big difference except for a few watts, but the DRRI is much sweeter. Maybe still not right for a serious jazz person, but works for me.
    I have a twin reverb, and it's great for jazz. The DRRI is just the lil' brother.

User Info Menu

I have a question about jazz and blackface twins. I understand the appeal of the twin's big iron for a deep, clean sound, but the blackface tone stack is also known for its scooped mids. And I always think of the classic jazz guitar sound as being mid-rangy, more of a tweed sound. How do you square the circle there? Does your jazz guitar sound good with scooped mids, or are you EQing it to tweek that?