Posts 101 to 150 of 539

User Info Menu

I use either

Modified Fender HR Deluxe 112.
    Fender Deluxe 112 Plus from the mid '90s
    Roland Supercube 60

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Schertler 'David' for my archtop. It's great for acoustic archtop styles. Considering a Henrikson JazzAmp or JazKat for more electric archtop sounds... I suppose the ultimate jazzamp would be one that covers all the styles you want to play, but, on reflection, all my jazz guitar heroes sound like themselves no matter what amp they find themselves playing through. Maybe we should spend more time digging for our inner sound...???

User Info Menu

I'v checked out JC 120s and I really like them, would get one if I can find it cheap. but I defnitely prefer my mid 80s mesa boogie Mark III, like what Al Dimeola just started using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    Hello:
    The Jazz tone that like me in my amp(a old tube amp Vibrosonic reverb of fender) is:
    bright switch=desactivated(no bright)
    treble = 1 or nothing ( sometimes betwen 1 or 2,dependient of the ambient,the room,the hall).
    middle = 4 or 5
    bass = 5 or 6.
    reverb= 3 (spring reverb that tend to sound brightnes)
    Saludos
    I can never make up my mind for too long. I'll use a setting for day or months or minutes. It just kind of depends on what and where I'm playing. Lately, on my TRRI I have set bass just right of 9, treble just under 7 and mid at 5. On the DRRI its bass 9 and treble at about 6 and 1/2.

I am able to vary the tone on the guitars pretty good so I can get a very nice round jazz tone with the 175. The 335 is a little brighter but still mellow.

User Info Menu

i have a 65' Twin Verb, and I must say, I couldn't be happier. I'm mainly a Jazz guitarist, but I also play in a cover band, so I need a versatile amp that will sound great no matter what style of music your playing. I'm extremely happy with my twin, and I know a lot of other jazz guitarists (including my gtr teacher) who adore the twin.

User Info Menu

Hi Andi, There is no doubt about the quality of the Twin. But my back protests. I tried the '65 reissue Deluxe Reverb and loved it, pity I has no stand-by switch. In the end I went for the Blues Junior (my back won). I've seen on Harmony central that some replaced the speaker with a Celestion. At this time I'm still happy with the original speaker but has any one ideas on this?

User Info Menu

Got a great deal on a closeout-a Crate Palomino 30watt(V-32 model) tube amp with el84's, celestion speaker. Was 350 USD a couple of months back. Good looking with great sound. They're not making them anymore, and you rarely find them on ebay. What a steal............Benny,

User Info Menu

i play thru a peavy classic 30 via a boss me-50. am looking for a solid state with a good clean channel.
    Last edited by valriver40; 08-26-2008 at 10:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi,

A question about the JC120...If you plug into both channels, does it output to the two speakers independently (it's got 2 seperate amps inside, right?)? By which I mean, if I go out of my outboard stereo reverb, or my effects board L and R into channels 1 and 2, will I actually get real stereo output, or just the same thing coming through both speakers?

I have, incidientally, an old Polytone Minibrute 4, which is amazing even though it looks like it may have survived the last mass extinction, and a Henriksen Jazz Amp 10, which is beautiful too, and very portabe, but maybe not quite as flexible. I had a JC-120 provided once on a tour this year though, and it blew me away. It just sounded very, very full - really unbelievably so - so I'm thinking it might be worth a shot, and I think if they're built like people say, almost any second hand one would do...

User Info Menu

Hi, i am thinking about getting a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, it will mainly be for practice at home/recording and some live playing with a drummer, the sound i want is that Wes Montgomery sound, when its just starting to break up, i was thinking that the Deluxe is 22 watts into 8 Ohms, ideal for what i want, am i right? and can i get the sound im after on it? any advice from anyone who has played it would be great.

I play an Epi ES 175 with flat 14's.

User Info Menu

@symodiezel:

My guitar teacher has a 22watts Deluxe and I played his a lot.

It's a very good amp with a very sweet tone, Wes is definately in there. Breakup happens only when the volume is already pretty loud though, so it might be too loud in your situation. I think the Fender Blues Junior breaks up earlier, so you might want to try that one too and see which one suits your needs better.

Good luck!
    Jasper
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Hi there guys - only recently got into jazz and then only the foothills - inkspots and glenn miller but its getting to be fun

As for amps - Ive had a life threatening change recently - chucked out everything except the modified epiphone valve juniors- and no-one seems to have mentioned it:

simulation - do check out guitar rig 3, perhaps run on a netbook when they get up to 2.4Ghz and 40 gig flash hdrives (the netbook wwwdisabled and running nothing else - no antiv, nothing) -and then into a Roland KC150

synthasis - I've got a godin xtsa and thats great into a roland GR33 and then into the roland KC150: but recently a roland GK3 on an old solid into a GR20 - the GK3 and GR20 together cost £250 on ebay. try a slow number on 'breathy sax' - its like being a whole 6 piece band - and just wallow in the sound

these sounds are fantastic and so cheap - i cant tell the difference except the sound is better than all the previous amps, better than its ever been- but then my ears are abit duff these days

User Info Menu

I received an email saying that I haven't been here in a while, so I thought I would throw in my experience. I have four amps in the house, all pretty small because we (my son and I) don't play professionally at this time. The two I use for Jazz are:

Roland Jazz-Chorus 55 - My Favorite! A true stereo chorus amp. 50w total with stereo chorus off - 25W for each amp with stereo on. Not made any more. I found a like-new one and it has no hiss or any other interference problem. It has a pretty pathetic gain feature, but I don't use distortion on this amp anyway. I play clean with a little reverb and a slight amount of chorus.

Peavey Transtube 30
    A nice little solid-state amp with two models on the clean channel and three on the lead. It's nice to play around with if you want to experiment with various sounds

Other amps I really like:
    Roland Cube 60
    Peavey Valve-King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    @symodiezel:

My guitar teacher has a 22watts Deluxe and I played his a lot.

It's a very good amp with a very sweet tone, Wes is definately in there. Breakup happens only when the volume is already pretty loud though, so it might be too loud in your situation. I think the Fender Blues Junior breaks up earlier, so you might want to try that one too and see which one suits your needs better.

Good luck!
    Jasper
    Thanx Jasper, I usually play loud anyway, neighbours dont complain either which is a bonus! I also would like that extra volume when needed, for jamming with a drummer i know, would this amp be loud enough for that do you think?

I have been using the Deluxe Reverb model on my POD XT for recording, and im slowly tweaking it to get the sound i want, but the real thing would be better.

User Info Menu

I use two small amplifiers a Fender Sidekick Reverb 35 and a Jay Turser Classic 25. Both amps are setup in stereo.

I get a very good jazz tone from both ampilfiers. Both amps are similar in sound, so a contrast in sound isn't really an issue. I love the sound of stereo. I don't think I could go back to one amp, but I probably could if I wanted to, but I'm really enjoying my current setup.

I never used an amp's reverb. I use a cheap Lexicon MPX-110 unit to give me the reverb I need. I use a Hall reverb setting, because I like the fuller sound it produces. Other effects that I use a TC Electronic Vintage Compression, Boss DD-6 Digital Delay, Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Boss DS-1 Distortion, and even though it's not an effect, I use an Morley volume pedal and for short little loops I use a Line 6 DL4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by symodiezel View Post
    Thanx Jasper, I usually play loud anyway, neighbours dont complain either which is a bonus! I also would like that extra volume when needed, for jamming with a drummer i know, would this amp be loud enough for that do you think?

I have been using the Deluxe Reverb model on my POD XT for recording, and im slowly tweaking it to get the sound i want, but the real thing would be better.
    Yes, I think the Deluxe has enough power to play with a drummers, especially in jazz settings! In a matter of fact, I've used the Deluxe on jamsessions with drums, upright bass, piano and horns and I loved it. I like the blackface "pressure" with tight bottom-end it produces. But again, it stayed very clean, so to push it to that break-up point you move into volume levels that go beyond the average jazz-gig!
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

I use two amps for jazz one is my Polytone mini brute IV and the other is my modified Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I changed the speaker to a Weber Alinco 12A150,tubes JJ's 6l6GC bias 68mv also did the reverb mod cut the treble bypass filter made the reverb less busy and warmer.

User Info Menu

I used the AER compact 60 amp but the speaker is a bit small and it gets a bit reedy in the higher registers.

I really enjoy my Jazz Amp and just sounds great to my ears.
    Plenty of punch.

Jazz Guitar Amplifier: Henriksen Jazz Amp: light, powerful, inexpensive, small, jazz guitar amplifier

Check it out.

User Info Menu

I tend to be more into the vintage stuff. I found a 1965 Ampeg Gemini I with the 12 " speaker which has about the sweetest tone I've ever heard. The only amp that I think will beat it for me is a 1965 Gemini II with the 15 inch speaker.

User Info Menu

I just got a new Henriksen 10R and really like it..it has a lot of 'tweekability'

User Info Menu

Great, guitslngr that the Hendriksen is your fav amp. I understand the tweakabillity but I tried it a few months ago and I didn't like it one bit. Going on the great reviews this amps gets I feel I must have missed something. Reviews in Just Jazz Guitar are also very positive yet I found the amp quite flat.

User Info Menu

Im thinking about getting a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Vintage Reissue, it will be used only for Jazz with my Jazz Box, but i have read some reviews at Harmony Central that said it was difficult to get a good sound out of this amp with a hollow body guitar and the sound was thin.
    Im really interested to hear from guys who play hollow bodies with this amp, the sound that i am after is the Wes sound, pure and simple, to me its perfect, i know he used Standel solid state amps later on, but he did use Fender amps earlier on, any info on the Deluxe Reverb from you guys who have actually heard it or used it would be terrific...............thanx in advance.

User Info Menu

You seem to be hesitating for quite some time now about the Deluxe... understandeble, but..... if you ask opinions from different people, you' ll get different opinions that will make you hesitate even more.

Go to a musicstore, try one out with your own guitar and see what YOU think of it and if you can get YOUR tone. What other people think is irrelevant.

My irrelevant opinion: I've played it several times on jamsessions and in my teacher's studio, with different hollowbody guitars (humbuckers and single coils) and to me it didn't sound thin at all, it's a great jazzamp!
    Last edited by Little Jay; 12-18-2008 at 05:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanx Jay, Im making do at the moment which is why I seem to be hesitating, also I have very little time to get to the city which is where the best music shops are, local ones stock cheap amps that they have deals with.
    I know everyone has a different opinion, but they are all valid, and I can put together a picture until I try one for myself, the beauty of having forums like this with people who have more experience than I do, so your irrelevant opinion is actually relevant to me and thanx for it.

User Info Menu

i have a DRRI with a JBL D130F speaker i play a gibson L5CES thru it is just so warm and sweet sounding. i set the tone controls with each at about 5 depending on location, it has great volume i dont have any complaints. i never run it to break up though but i can keep up with a piano and drums without troulbe.

I've been very happy with my Acoustic Image Clarus and Raezer's Edge NY8 cabinet. Lots of players use these so it's nothing new but I feel the player's true sound comes through these amps. You get out what you put in....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herberman View Post
    I've been very happy with my Acoustic Image Clarus and Raezer's Edge NY8 cabinet. Lots of players use these so it's nothing new but I feel the player's true sound comes through these amps. You get out what you put in....
    Such a popular combo. Very transparent. Nice to see you posting here Steve, I really enjoy the stuff of yours I have heard. I have been very tempted buy several of your lessons on Mike's Master Classes. Good to have you here.

Btw, where did you study?

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    Such a popular combo. Very transparent. Nice to see you posting here Steve, I really enjoy the stuff of yours I have heard. I have been very tempted buy several of your lessons on Mike's Master Classes. Good to have you here.

Btw, where did you study?
    Thanks Derek,

I went to Berklee and later worked my way through the George Van Eps Harmonic Mechanism books which to me was like a masters degree in chordal playing. Those books take a lot of patience which at one time in my life I had :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks Derek,

I went to Berklee and later worked my way through the George Van Eps Harmonic Mechanism books which to me was like a masters degree in chordal playing. Those books take a lot of patience which at one time in my life I had :-)
    Well, yes, your GVE triads vids is one that I am tempted by. I play mostly solo, so the CM thing is kind of my deal at this point. I have studied a bunch with Jody Fisher, and he talks about the daunting work involved with George's stuff. I think he only made it thru one of those books.

Well, yes, your GVE triads vids is one that I am tempted by. I play mostly solo, so the CM thing is kind of my deal at this point. I have studied a bunch with Jody Fisher, and he talks about the daunting work involved with George's stuff. I think he only made it thru one of those books.
    I have a triad-based Van Eps arrangement that was in JJG last year sometime that I'd be happy to email you or anyone interested. That arr. was also put in TAB which is what JJG requires. One of those videos you mention is me playing that arrangement.

User Info Menu

I have a triad-based Van Eps arrangement that was in JJG last year sometime that I'd be happy to email you or anyone interested. That arr. was also put in TAB which is what JJG requires. One of those videos you mention is me playing that arrangement.
    Heck yeah, thanks. I have a couple of GVE arrangements, but always struggle with the 7th string, and how to make it sound as good on 6.

derek@ycoaoffice.com

Heck yeah, thanks. I have a couple of GVE arrangements, but always struggle with the 7th string, and how to make it sound as good on 6.

derek@ycoaoffice.com
    OK comin' at ya. BTW this arrangement was written for 6 stringers.

User Info Menu

OK comin' at ya. BTW this arrangement was written for 6 stringers.
    People, people, you are wandering off-topic.....

User Info Menu

Sorry to hijack the thread. If you guys don't know who Steve is, check out this youtube clip. He belongs in our thread about newer guys who are making a mark on the scene.

User Info Menu

Impressive! You sound great Steve!
    I'd really appreciate it if you could send that to me too...ledhead68@comcast.net. That'd be great.

I use a Cube 20 for practicing jazz, and every gig I've played I've had an amp provided, which is nice. But I think the ultimate jazz amp (or just amp in general) is the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. Same size as an Acoustic Image, costs less, and has a decent distortion channel.
    smitty

User Info Menu

Hi!
    What about fender bassman?

User Info Menu

Here is my experience. Up until a couple of weeks ago i played my eastman (non cutaway) 905E archtop with benedetto floating pickup through a mid 80's fender champ. Was generally happy with the deep tone for big band comping. The amp could also nicely accomodate my semi hollow gibson es 137 for more resonant/sustain solo work and I preferred the champ tone over my fender hot rod deluxe and fender acoustasonic junior (which has a lot of crappy digital effects imo). Enter the henriksen 10r through the fireplace on Xmas morning. Plugged in the eastman and was smitten by the clarity of tone and sensitivity of the eq. The guitar has never sounded as good. On turning the volume up did encounter feed back but it is very tweakable, and I was pushing the sonic limit. After a few giddy hours of enjoying the rich quality and making stuff up, i plugged in the custom ES 137 with the gibson 1957 (??) pafs. Was much less impressed with the sound of these pups and the laminated body through the henriksen. It just didn't speak to me whereas through tubes it is really warm and gorgeously rich. Bottom line, for jazz gigs from now on i will use the eastman/henriksen combo and for more blues/rockier situations will emply the gibson/champ set up. The acoustasonic and hot rod deluxe will continue to gather dust. I have not tried my tele through the henriksen so there is much exploring to be done

User Info Menu

I used a Traynor bassman head with a bassmaster speaker in the 70s with my 335 - very warm sound - lots of controlled feedback and it screamed on the bridge pickup. I played at 10 on the volume knob and had the treble turned up to max. to compensate for the over-emphasis on bass tones. Those were my rocker/blues days

These days, I process my Godin LXT through an AER Compact Mobile (I occassionally get gigs where no electricity is available - e.g. festivals in provincial parks ...). I had a JC 120 for a while and loved it but it's a pig to carry. The Polytones sound great and I agree that the Roland Cube 60s are a workable option and are reasonably priced.

User Info Menu

I guess it's a matter of amp/guitar compatability. Not every guitar/pickup goes great with every amp.

User Info Menu

I've become very happy with my Fender Princeton 65' reissue. It's an amp currently in production, 15w., one speaker (not sure what size). I'm not going for a traditional jazz tone, this amp is very clean but just a touch "hot". I play a Gibson Johnny A or an American Deluxe Telecaster through it.

I'm starting to get curious about the Egnator Rebel.

User Info Menu

I suppose the point is moot that "if there was 1 ultimate guitar AMP" the fact that it was the ULTIMATE surley no other amps would sell.

Personally i think it is as subjective as guitars themselves. Everybody has different opinions & is after some different sound to please the inner artist

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dix_fix View Post
    I suppose the point is moot that "if there was 1 ultimate guitar AMP" the fact that it was the ULTIMATE surley no other amps would sell.

Personally i think it is as subjective as guitars themselves. Everybody has different opinions & is after some different sound to please the inner artist
    Of course.

But viewing other people's opinions about why they think their amp is the ultimate jazz amp can be both fun and educational can't it?

User Info Menu

I have a Blues Junior, 15 Watt, I like it a lot, it's exactly what i wanted, the natural sound, nice, but i haven't a headphoneconnection, I like playing with a headphone, and no second input, why don't they put that in those amps, anyone would like that on his amp ????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaige View Post
    I have become cautiously fearless (if that is possible).
    A wonderful line! And of course it is. We call it improvising!

I had a 65 Fender Princeton that did everything I wanted, but in traveling about the world I had to let it go. When I stop roaming I picked up a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. It has a decent set of controls and is pretty nice general purpose, but not exactly a jazz amp (I bought it for acoustic blues gigs, and it does that well). A buddy and I had an Ampeg back in the 60s that was pretty sweet too, bow that I recall. Mostly when I play jazz in the band I go through the board, though (playing a custom made Strat with a humbucker in the bridge and two standard strat pickups) and can get that round sound that to my ears screams "jazz!"

User Info Menu

I've been through as many amps as musical styles over the years, and there's always something new to learn about. Currently I have a Blues Jr NOS (tweed, Jensen speaker) with a Ruby Reverb. It's a nice, portable and lightweight amp, suitable for the kinds of gigs I do these days. I also perform with a Jazzmaster Ultralight. To me, it's the Super Reverb of the 21st Century, and I'm amazed that I don't see them everywhere.

But, like everyone else, I'm forever mooning over the fence at the neighbor's yard, and I'm wondering how players feel about the Fender Jazz King? I play a stock Gibson ES-335 Dot with .012s, a pretty mainstream-but-not-really-jazz guitar. Any opinions about the JK? I see they've been discontinued, which indicates they weren't terribly popular.

User Info Menu

Showed the amp to my guitar teacher, and only had positive things to say about it--he tested it out on his archtop and a classical, and thought the sound was pretty good. But the killer feature is wattage per weight ratio---he said that players back in the day would've loved an amp like this, instead of lugging around the beheamouths. The only drawback is lack of reverb. Which can be rectified, with a pedal.

Obviously, it's not gonna give you the tone that a Polytone will supply. Although, my Heritage Eagle sounds better on the Cub than the Polytone (too much bass, really have to dial it in to get a decent sound) But for the size ( I still can't get over the fact that I'm lugging this over my shoulder).

It's a great little amp.

User Info Menu

Hi, I'm new on the site. Thanks to Dirk I've stuck around. I played in the early to mid 60's in a teenage band, and 3 others when they called, all types of music. I got started in what would be my career for 40 years in early '66, and music took a back seat till now, my 5th year of retirement. I've had guitars in those intervening years, and my son plays, but my fingers were soft till this week.

I just bought a new amp and guitar, and I hope you don't turn your noses up, but they both suit me fine. All my playing will be in my little photography studio upstairs, by myself unless my son shows up, 5 mins walk. The amp I have is the Peavey Vypyr 75; 75 watts, power sponge, 12 in speaker, all the effects I'll ever want, and 12 clean amp models and 12 hot models. There are 12 pre amp stompbox effects, and 12 post amp rack effects, plus delay and global reverb. Headphone/line out, USB out, and MP3/CD in. This amp weighs 36 lbs, I weighed it myself. There's a midi input for one of two Peavey pedals. I paid $260.00 US for the amp, new.

The Classic 50 model gives me great tones, I'm not into heavy distortion, but this amp has it. The Dlx has a mid tone control added, and sounds great also. The Peavey 6505 is very popular for rock, and I like the 60's Brit sound; you really hear that chime.

I did 6 months research research on the guitar, and got a Hagstrom Super Swede Vintage Series. It's solid Mahogany, bookmatch maple top, custom Hagstrom 58 humbuckers, wound the same as in the 70's. I got it for the neck, which is excellent quality, and consistent on all models. It's very heavy, but the tone is something I've never had, exceptional bottom end. I'm using Gretsch stainless steel flatwound .012 - .052, and they come with a wound G string .024, and plain G .020. I'm using the wound.

Thanks for having me,
    Denny

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum! i did the the same thing after retirement.i have been retired 15 years plus. i play thru a peavy classic 30 and a roland cube 30 using a boss me- 50 pedal.
    Last edited by valriver40; 04-07-2009 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Denny, welcome. And welcome back to playing actively!
    I don't know that amp, but it seems to work well for you, which makes it a great amp. I haven't played Hagstrom's in years, but that sounds like it is nice.

User Info Menu

The Evans is a great amp, esp. the older models with the tube preamp and a 15". I have used the Lab Series L7, a tweed Pro, a bunch of Twins, and some Polytones with archtops and they all have their strong points. I think my fave is the tweed Pro; very warm, enough headroom for small gigs, a small package, pretty versatile too. I am pretty partial to 15" speakers as well...