Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 501 to 518 of 518

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly View Post
    The "ultimate" "jazz" amp is the one that is already on stage or in the studio. Honestly, as long as it is not broken and has a decent clean tone and enough volume for the gig you can get a "jazz tone" out of most backline amps.
    Thats so true ! we all get a bit too hung up on amps
    me included .....
    for a clean straight ahead tone that is

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That looks really good man! BTW, I just discovered something with Fender Amps. I got this idea from an app on my iPad that works with the iRig. For the jazz tone on Fender Amps, they set all tone controls to 0. I tried it on my Fender Deluxe with my Eastman archtop. It works great. Set all tone controls to 0 and add a little bit of treble. It makes for a really nice clean archtop sound like that of Herb Ellis or Joe Pass. Of course, for the Joe Pass sound, add some mid range. Control your bass and treble from your guitar. This 0 tone control setting allows for the acoustical properties of your archtop to really shine.

Brad

User Info Menu

I'm surprised to find my new favorite for archtop's is a Roland Blues Cube Artist with a Sparkle Clean tone capsule. Ran it side by side (literally) with my Rivera era Fender Concert with an E/V in it. The Roland is better.
    Hell is full of musical amateurs - George Bernard Shaw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    I'm surprised to find my new favorite for archtop's is a Roland Blues Cube Artist with a Sparkle Clean tone capsule. Ran it side by side (literally) with my Rivera era Fender Concert with an E/V in it. The Roland is better.
    And your Roland is certainly MUCH lighter than the EV loaded Concert.
    I have that exact (Concert II) amp and love the tone...hate the weight. It's currently for sale.

User Info Menu

Light is the ticket, these days.

40-50 years ago, I and everyone else thought nothing of showing up with a Fender Twin Reverb, or even a half stack. Of course, in that era, the "stock" PA was typically a Shure VocalMaster, with two to four cabinets. You didn't want to mic instruments through a system like that--you kicked it out to the house right from your amps.

30-40 years ago, PA systems got much more powerful, even for non-touring bands. Cabinet technology progressed to the point that you could mic more than just vocals/drums. This freed the instrument players to shift to smaller amps. Predictably, we all did. My Twin Reverb became a Pro Reverb, then either a Polytone MiniBrute or a Deluxe Reverb--depending on what the gig was (jazz or everything else).

20-30 years ago, this trend continued. The MiniBrute became a BabyBrute and the Deluxe Reverb became a 12-15 watt tweed Deluxe.

Now, even the Polytones seem "big." I still love their sound, of course, but the Henriksen Blu sure is seductive. More seductive, still, is a Polytone pedal straight into the house PA. I'm gigging more and more right into the house.

+10 years??? We'll be playing into a silent house, just the sound of knives and forks clanking. Everyone will be wearing Bluetooth ear systems--their own, or provided by the venue, a la theaters' 3D glasses. The band will show up with a great preamp/computer that Bluetooths the signal to what people are listening with.

User Info Menu

This:

The Ultimate Guitar Amp-6bcd05c2-4df5-4ed0-9d2c-66f7b33696ad-jpg

My new 40years old Princeton, last series, with the old AB1270 circuit, completely handwired in California. Honestly the best sounding amp I‘ve ever played. Loud, versatile and crystal clear cleans. Loves pedals and every guitar. Wonderful smooth reverb and the best tremolo ever. Who wants more?

User Info Menu

The Ultimate Guitar Amp-img_9911-jpg
    I like the size and power of my hand-wired tube amp head by VVT. 40 watts RMS and weighs 25 pounds...in a package the size of "half" a princeton!! Mid-shift and bright switches...reverb dwell....middle....it is a princeton head for larger venues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J. Murrieta View Post
    i also just received an empress parametric eq pedal which really helps nail the exact tone i'm looking for.
    Anyone know how the empress compares with the Carl Martin para eq pedal? I've never been able to find that much info on the CM pedal and I've been kinda hesitant to drop a couple hundred on something I might not like...

one little detail that seems important: there's no Q on the CM and it's called a "semi-parametric" EQ. So it looks like you can vary center freq and boost/cut but not Q... I think that probably gives the edge to the Empress.

Thanks in advance, all!

SJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff View Post
    This:

The Ultimate Guitar Amp-6bcd05c2-4df5-4ed0-9d2c-66f7b33696ad-jpg

My new 40years old Princeton, last series, with the old AB1270 circuit, completely handwired in California. Honestly the best sounding amp I‘ve ever played. Loud, versatile and crystal clear cleans. Loves pedals and every guitar. Wonderful smooth reverb and the best tremolo ever. Who wants more?
    I had one of those as a kid back in Maryland. In the early '70's hurricane Agnes roared through and flooded the basement and I lost the amp.

I've been using a Henriksen for many years now and recently, I purchased a Quilter 101 reverb and a Razer's Edge Stealth 10. Clean, clear and plenty of headroom it has.... As Yoda would say.

User Info Menu

I always liked the blue light crystal. I think Kustoms (the vinyl cushion model) had those first. Those were "sway" amps. All the cool players had the vinyl cushioned Kustoms... and then the switch to Marshall's happened... and since they couldn't unload the now uncool vinyl cushioned Kustoms they would stash them in dark corners of the basement covered with canvas painters tarps and stacks of newspapers saved for the Lions Club newspaper drives.

Wow... why did I just remember that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geogio View Post
    I always liked the blue light crystal. I think Kustoms (the vinyl cushion model) had those first. Those were "sway" amps. All the cool players had the vinyl cushioned Kustoms... and then the switch to Marshall's happened... and since they couldn't unload the now uncool vinyl cushioned Kustoms they would stash them in dark corners of the basement covered with canvas painters tarps and stacks of newspapers saved for the Lions Club newspaper drives.

Wow... why did I just remember that?
    I get it. I had a Kustom 200, blue light crystal and all. Terrible sounding amp. Cool looking in its time. Thanks for the helping me to remember some good times

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with both my amps, i have a carr sportsman and a early 70s princeton with 6L6s
    both give me just the tone i need

User Info Menu

The Ultimate Guitar Amp-f2cea020-45c3-4342-95b7-828ec77b90a8-jpgThose old vintage amps got their own personality, each is a little different from another. I‘m still wondering where’s their special mojo from. I guess it’s in those old parts, they’re welted together in countless hours of playing. So inspiring.

User Info Menu

Just as vintage guitar guts have no circuit boards, old amps had no circuit boards either. Maybe they had beefier Transformers as well, along with paper caps and other such things which made their sound unique. All those parts and kits are available today from various online dealers and it wouldn't be hard to replicate. Maybe the wiring was a little bit thicker or the shielding on the wiring was a different composition just as shielding on guitar pickups and the wiring they used was a little bit different, perhaps it has something to do with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff View Post
    The Ultimate Guitar Amp-f2cea020-45c3-4342-95b7-828ec77b90a8-jpgThose old vintage amps got their own personality, each is a little different from another. I‘m still wondering where’s their special mojo from. I guess it’s in those old parts, they’re welted together in countless hours of playing. So inspiring.
    What amp is it?
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    What amp is it?
    Looks like a Princeton

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geogio View Post
    Just as vintage guitar guts have no circuit boards, old amps had no circuit boards either. Maybe they had beefier Transformers as well, along with paper caps and other such things which made their sound unique. All those parts and kits are available today from various online dealers and it wouldn't be hard to replicate. Maybe the wiring was a little bit thicker or the shielding on the wiring was a different composition just as shielding on guitar pickups and the wiring they used was a little bit different, perhaps it has something to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    What amp is it?
    Yes, there are very good sounding kits out there. But there’s this special magic in old stuff you can‘t replicate, not with a kit or a reissue and especially not digital, but that‘s of course no secret. Guess why so many of our heroes rely on the old originals.

Yes, a Princeton Reverb.

User Info Menu

I miss my old Princeton. I lost it in a hurricane.